Cheltenham's #ToughestFootballers

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
A bit different from the usual "best/worst XI" threads we occasionally have: I see the BBC are asking for nominations for the 'toughest footballer' following those stats that were published showing the number of fouls per game have dropped considerably over the last few years.

So what's everyone's thoughts from our perspective? Which right old dirty barstewards have we played against? Who would cheerfully run their studs down the shin of his Cheltenham opponents when he thought the ref was looking elsewhere? Dean Windass, maybe? That guy from Rushden - was it Mark Cooper? - who Boka had a 'discussion' with?

Conversely, which whole-hearted neanderthal, agricultural clogger graced our team in the past? I can't think of any in the 'modern' era - but I bet we had a few in the 70's and beyond, well before my time.

As an aside, I grew up a Leeds fan and completely understand the 'Dirty Leeds' tag... The likes of Hunter, Bremner, Giles and Madeley leap out at you - and I doubt there has ever been a dirtier centre-forward than Sniffer Clarke (who I'm actually named after...) They're the sort of players I mean: sure, they were gifted players with great ability - but they'd stop at nothing to stamp on your ankle if they thought they could get away with it.
Chelt Luke in Glos
Dean Lewington for MK Dons basically chopped down every player he came up agaisnt versus Chelt last season. And was rightfully sent off. He isnt really that tough though.
Last edited by Chelt Luke in Glos on 14 Jun 2013, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
C.V
Think the player that did Boka was Radall from Hayes?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Toughest I've seen in as Rubies shirt: Titch, Larry and Penn.
MarkHalliwell
Ray Baverstock was the toughest. We used to sing that you'll get a boot wrapped round your head.
Steve Scarrott as well.
PaulGodfrey
Selwyn Rice
Gary Pick
Sean Reck
Marcus Bray

Must be something about four letter surnames...
MarkHalliwell
Sean Reck was well named...!
51/84
as a ruby bob b , would feature so would Jules banana man sent off 3 times at Brentford ( I think it was)
Was Darren wright hard or just wild
Uppy
Craig Armstrong. Didn't run around snarling, but the play-off final was pretty impressive.
Robin
Neil grayson wins this no contest.
Si Robin
Craig Armstrong deserves a medal for the sacrifice he made in the Playoff Final against Grimsby. Took out Michael Reddy who could have been hugely dangerous later in the game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Was it the big striker Savage who used to elbow players all game?
RED ROB
Selwyn Rice definitely "had the hit" factor. Graham "Hacker" Green wasn't far off either. (60's)
theidlerich
Of my CTFC time I would go with Craig Armstrong - but with asl - I fondly remember Leeds vs Chelsea games in those days - ouch!
shevates
Toughest with out doubt head and shoulders above every one else was Selwyn Rice, a pure nutter. another who was plain crazy at times was Billy Tucker
C.V
shevates wrote:Toughest with out doubt head and shoulders above every one else was Selwyn Rice, a pure nutter. another who was plain crazy at times was Billy Tucker

Selwyn ended up as a labourer where l worked once, now living in Devon might interest you Shevates he was a retianed firman down there.He still keeps in regular contact with a friend of mine
thetonga
Jason Taylor looks like he's escaped from prison. Haven't seen him put a proper reducer on anyone yet though.
shevates
C.V wrote:
shevates wrote:Toughest with out doubt head and shoulders above every one else was Selwyn Rice, a pure nutter. another who was plain crazy at times was Billy Tucker

Selwyn ended up as a labourer where l worked once, now living in Devon might interest you Shevates he was a retianed firman down there.He still keeps in regular contact with a friend of mine
It may interest you Kev, I was drinking with him 3 months ago, and with digger Gardner. Selwyn now is clean shaven, very slim, and you wouldnt think he kicked Leeds United all over the place on his own in that heroic F.A. cup tie. He still keeps in touch with Joe Gadston as he also lives in Devon.
hEaLeR
Carl Alford - Stevenage
C.V
shevates wrote:
C.V wrote:

It may interest you Kev, I was drinking with him 3 months ago, and with digger Gardner. Selwyn now is clean shaven, very slim, and you wouldnt think he kicked Leeds United all over the place on his own in that heroic F.A. cup tie. He still keeps in touch with Joe Gadston as he also lives in Devon.

Brilliant Steve
Chelt Luke in Glos
thetonga wrote:Jason Taylor looks like he's escaped from prison. Haven't seen him put a proper reducer on anyone yet though.
:lol: So True! He will next year
Ralph
Robin wrote:Neil grayson wins this no contest.

yep and wrighty and Boka in there too
CTFC03
Off the top of my head, against us: Leo Fortune West, Windass, Jon Parkin.

For us well, Russ has to be in there, David Pipe and I'll go for Finners aswell!
London Exile
Ray Baverstock in my time watching the robins
Cheltenhamshire10
Larry without doubt. You'd think he ran through a brick wall every game and still get up and do it again.
Pipe is a good shout as well.
Uppy
You have to be hard to survive if you're called Selwyn Rice.
Pie
Larry, Jules and his Banana, David Pipe, and Craig "Spuggy" Armstrong. But most recently Captain Penn and Jason Taylor being the grit in the team.
Jimmy Spencer also had a temper, but it always looked like he was having a tantrum.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:Off the top of my head, against us: Leo Fortune West, Windass, Jon Parkin.

For us well, Russ has to be in there, David Pipe and I'll go for Finners aswell!
LFW was who I was thinking of when I said Savage. He has a steel elbow bone that bloke.
Sprout Picker
Si Robin wrote:Craig Armstrong deserves a medal for the sacrifice he made in the Playoff Final against Grimsby. Took out Michael Reddy who could have been hugely dangerous later in the game.
Could not agree more Si Robin.
Malabus
Ray Baverstock never pulled out of a tackle.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hugh McAuley, Josh Lowe, Mo.
Alf
Bavvers. Legend!
nickyjordan
Ray Baverstock was as hard as nails. Did I dream it or did he Get accused in echo once for being a pepping Tom?

Darren Angel was a hard player too.

Most violent must be Derek Paine when he ran back on the pitch after being sent off and starting swinging punches at the oppositions magic sponge man!
Alf
nickyjordan wrote:Ray Baverstock was as hard as nails. Did I dream it or did he Get accused in echo once for being a pepping Tom!
Is that a sex mad cat? :lol:
RED ROB
Mark Sertori !!! the sunday battle with Fortune-West on that memorable day when we stuffed Cardiff will long remain in my memory. :lol: :lol: