Our New Badge/Logo - 3 years on

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

shevates
I didnt want the new badge at all, but in time I have grown to except it as you do in time, and it wouldnt bother me now which badge we have. But the one thing no one has mentioned to the title "three years on" What happened to the people who told us it would move us right up there into the 21st century of football, it would give us a better image, and more importantly it would be great for us commercially. One of them cant remember his name left the club within 3 months of the launch and the other you hardly see now. Has all that materialised what was promised at the meetings we attended, I have seen no change what so ever, so you could say the large investment into the design, and promotion was a waste of finances. So we should of stuck with the Town Crest if you look at it from my view.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Martin MacDonald was the other. He was a marketing man but was not actually an associate director like Mr Masding was as far as I recall.

Too right Shev - your view emphasises why I thought it was important to see if the club has evidence of the initial short-term impact.

Here is a review of that meeting, in case anyone missed it at the time:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... z2WEcqrT4Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-------------
The main extract for those who can't/won't open the link:

"Robins Trust chairman Clive Gowing fears fans are becoming alienated. He said: "You have forgotten about the existing fans and the club is starting to lose the family feel which is so important."

McDonald played down the significance of the badge change, describing it as symbolic of the start of a new era as the club bid to persuade businesses that it is worth investing in, rather than treating it as a 'charity.'

"The club has been driven into the ground commercially and we need to inspire people to come along."

Masding added: "It feels like sponsors are doing the club a favour by investing, but it shouldn't be like that. We should be giving them good value for their investment and we want to relaunch the club brand to a wider community."

Masding outlined the club's goals for the next four seasons, which included promotion to Coca-Cola League One next season followed by a credible challenge for the Championship by the 2012-13 campaign.

While accepting these aims exceed all expectations as the Robins currently struggle near the foot of League Two, Masding said it is important potential sponsors know where the club wants to be heading.

Other issues discussed including the Robins' traditional post-match song Happiness by Ken Dodd that was played after every home win, but has been discarded this season, much to the annoyance of some long-standing fans.

Masding said the song did not generate an appropriate atmosphere within the ground as the players left the field and he wants to move away from the idea of 'little old Cheltenham'."

Read more: http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... z2WEeIrTWL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow us: @thisisglos on Twitter | thisisgloucestershire on Facebook

-----------------

I think it should be straight forward to assess whether business and sponsorship investment has increased. I get the impression attendances have not, but happy to be told otherwise by stattos.
C.V
Two wide boys that talk a good story but soon disappear when it doesn't come to fruition.Perhaps they are now conning there way into some other organization with there bullshite.
shevates
Good research Sam well done. I appreciate that Mr Mcdonald and Mr Masding are succesful in what they do, there is no denying that, but what they were trying to acheive was a no-goer. The main thing they didnt know, was enough about the product they were trying to promote. Crowds were never going to grow because of a bloody badge, we are a club in its infantsy regarding football league status, even now a large percentage of cheltonians wouldnt recognise what the badge represents, as some say it looks like a jesters hat, a brand of ciggarette. Where does it say Cheltenham Town Football Club, thats what needs promoting.
MarkHalliwell
Another of the main reasons was they we could copyright it, so it could not be used on hooky merchandise - we could not copyright the town crest.
Nesty
the only thing relevant to the club or town is the fecking pigeon with the jesters hat.
Nesty
mind you - it could be worse............

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1629 ... ll/page/15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
a compromise between old and new would give this:-

http://www.pbase.com/nesty2066/image/150803859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shevates
I actually like that Nesty
Malabus
I like that too. Modern with a traditional look.
Pie
Looks like Blackpools badge.
Nesty
or try this?

http://www.pbase.com/nesty2066/image/150807161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shevates
prefer your first one Nesty
C.V
Just shows why didnt the board let the fans decide the same with shirt designs after all we are the ones expected to be buying into it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:Just shows why didnt the board let the fans decide the same with shirt designs after all we are the ones expected to be buying into it.
Giving two or three options, printing them on a flyer with a tick box, handing it out at a home match to everyone who comes in and having a drop box on the way out for people to put their flyer with their vote in would have been a simple piece of market research with the current fans - and the sponsors/hospitality could have been given the same given they were a key target as well.
PaulGodfrey
Should just point out that the new design didn't cost us anything but we have ownership of it - so any benefits are a bonus, really. I wasn't sure when it first appeared but it has now definitely grown on me.

It was my fault that we went back to the town crest in 1992 as I put it on the front cover of the programme. Prior to that it hadn't been used since the 60s and we've also had a number of different 'Robin-related' things over the years.
Pie
Paul, according to historicalkits.co.uk we didnt have a badge from 1967-1991/2.
Can you confirm that, or did we have a 'badge' in that gap?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
PaulGodfrey wrote:Should just point out that the new design didn't cost us anything but we have ownership of it - so any benefits are a bonus, really. I wasn't sure when it first appeared but it has now definitely grown on me.

It was my fault that we went back to the town crest in 1992 as I put it on the front cover of the programme. Prior to that it hadn't been used since the 60s and we've also had a number of different 'Robin-related' things over the years.
Thanks for that Paul. It has grown on me also and I was mainly posting about the business side of things.

Interesting to hear that it didn't cost the club anything. I think one of the main concerns was would the investment made pay off. Given that it was free then as you say it's hard to lose out.

Sounds like a good deal to me.
PaulGodfrey
In the late 70s and early 80s we had a chubby Robin sitting on a ball and in the late 80s and early 90s it was developed into a Robin on a bouncing ball. One of these days I will get round to producing a schedule of all our old kits because that site is not very accurate when it comes to ours.
Nesty
I quite like the Robins Trust logo, it could say "Cheltenham Town" where it says "Robins Trust"
MarkHalliwell
The Trust logo is the club's old bouncing ball Robin badge. When we formed the Trust, we nicked it and changed it to say 'Robins Trust'.
leohoenig
Having made my comments on the introduction of the badge, it is lcear I did not like it at the time. I am not a fan of it now, but I do not have any strong feelings on the matter. I feel that we have gained no commercial advantage or disadvantage by using it. I would not change it again in a hurry, as I just do not think it is worth changing. If the club informed the trust they wanted to reclaim and re-use the bouncing ball, then I would not object, (but I will not hold my breath).