Friendly against GCFC on July 20...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

taxidave
MarkHalliwell wrote:This is so boring. What is the point of this nonsense???
Mark you have known from the last 50 or so posts what this thread was about, so if you find it boring why bother to read it.
Circa 1887
MarkHalliwell wrote:This is so boring. What is the point of this nonsense???
^This^

It's the same debate, covering the same ground, every time - which quicky escalates in to poking Neil with a stick. Agree to disagree and move on with your lives.
The Horse
mattyboi wrote:i would rather my money didnt go towards bailing Gloucester out of trouble and basically being used to pay their rent money which they owe us.

Looking at this independently, is this not a reason TO go to the game, if it makes sure that CTFC get the money owed, surely thats a good thing?
And if the money owed has been paid, then anything extra that GCFC earn, will surely make the payment of the next installment easier to obtain.

GCFC are to be at WR for the next season atleast now.
In an ideal world, for both clubs fans (maybe not the clubs themselves), there wouldnt be a share but there is, so maybe its time to accept that?

Ive said the same thing to people on my clubs forum that are still complaining about the use of the stadium for rugby by London Welsh, its not going to change despite how many threads are started about it, the only thing that will change it is the tenants need to use the stadiums in question.....in the case of GCFC and CTFC, that seems unlikely to change in the immediate future based on last season, and whether the fans like it or not, the CTFC chairman believe the income is worth any negatives that the groundshare brings.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Several times I have offered to agree to disagree - Neil thinks CTFC fans should not care about the fortune and finances of our club, and we all think we should and will continue to care about it and part of that concern is regarding us getting our rent money.

I respect Neil's view that we shouldn't care, but he cannot tell us that we can't care.
Circa 1887
He can tell us whatever he likes....but it means nothing and has no consequence, unless you empower his words to have that effect. This is an internet forum, not a court of law.
Chelt Luke in Glos
Malabus wrote:
Neil wrote:What are you struggling to understand about my post asl?
Did you go to the same school as Fred West. He didn't turn up to English lessons either.
Oh wow thats deep! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pie
Neil wrote:There is none Mark. People sticking their noses into others' business.
Yeah, it's nobody's business..........that's why it's in the media

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... z2WecwCzPj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
51/84
as the man said bye bye
taxidave
Oh dear and to think it was only on Monday that I wrote on this very forum.....
I am pleased to hear that your personal finances are in good shape but unfortunately your club's accounts do not appear to have such a healthy look, in fact I will be most surprised if you make it through the coming season without some major money crisis.
.....but I did not expect it to happen quite this quick.
I am sure neil will be on here very soon to tell us it is none of our business. :lol: :lol:
Circa 1887
Putting emotion/'rivalry' to one side, I wonder when the only logical decision will be to fold and start again. Is that now, is it months/years away - I don't know.

But the way I see it, there isn't a lot to fight for really. When you have no money and no ground - splintering off and forming something new might be the best option for supporters.
Neil
Listen to yourself you twat.

Splintering off and starting again?

Nothing to fight for?

Can't you tell you wankers only starting watching the scum when they got in the league.
Circa 1887
Oh dear. We don't lower ourselves to that level on this forum, Neil...it's unbecoming of civilised people, such as us.

You appear to have anger issues my friend; go and have a cup of horlicks and a lie down.

And by the way, I started watching in around '92 - not that it's your business ;)
Last edited by Circa 1887 on 19 Jun 2013, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
SouthportShouldHide
Neil wrote:
Can't you tell you wankers only starting watching the scum when they got in the league.
Seeing as how you support Gloucester City, the exact date that someone started supporting Cheltenham Town is of no concern to you and you should really mind your own business.

As for calling supporters of Cheltenham Town 'wankers' and referring to the club itself as 'scum', that just adds further to the list of reasons why I think you really shouldn't be allowed on this forum. Not to mention the fact the topics discussed on here are none of your business.
Circa 1887
It's fairly harmles; like most, I view Neil with pity - I harbor no ill-feeling towards him or even his club.

GCFC is a frail and decaying club that poses no competition to us, whilst the money issue is something that I trust Paul Baker to manage appropriately. That leads me to the conclusion that the team and their plight, not to mention the odd deluded 'fan', are irrelevant in the scheme of things.
The Horse
The whole "none of your business" thing has probably reached the end of its comedy value so it would be good to see that end now......

Now, the main point i came on to post....

Would you as a CTFC fan really want GCFC to fold?
Isnt one of the fun parts of football playing against your rivals?

I find it strange, given how desperate some (not all) supporters are trying to fabricate a rivalry with clubs such as oxford, rovers and swindon, despite none of them really being interested in CTFC due to rivalries built up elsewhere over years of league football, that many fans want to see the one real "rival" that the club has killed off and to disappear.

I also find it strange that people still consider the 2 clubs as rivals....but thats my opinion and another debate for another day.

Why be so keen for a rival but also want to see your one real one killed off?
Circa 1887
Good question. I neither see them as a rival nor want to see them killed off. I don't see them as being even a spec on our radar, so if it wasn't for the groundshare and defaulting on payments - they'd rarely, if ever, be mentioned on this forum.
SouthportShouldHide
The Horse wrote:
I'd like to think I wouldn't particularly care if they folded or not. The friendly against them holds no interest for me. And a game in a Mickey Mouse local cup competition does nothing for me either. Being pitched against them in the FA Cup though, that would, for old times sake, fill me with excitement. So I guess I don't want them to fold.

Actually, I'd go one further. I'd quite like to see them do the impossible and spend one season up in the football league with us. But I think that's only because I'd like to imagine the response from any poor deluded fan when they find the average crowd goes up to just over 1,000 people and they have to share the terraces with 800 'wankers' who only started supporting Gloucester when they got promoted...!
The Horse
Thats the way i, looking from the outside, see it.

Slightly different i know as both teams have never really played eachother but i like to Oxford City do well alongside Utd doing well......

Both City teams are highly unlikely to ever play against their more established neighbours unless either is relegated, which is probably not going to happen anytime soon.

The reason i call them a "rival" is that their name is often mentioned during chants at games (i dont uinderstand this unless you are playing them really), so many do still consider them as such.

Also, as a football supporter, its a shame to see any club in financial trouble and at risk of going under, i say this after seein my club very very close to disappearing in the mid to late 90s and i can tell you, despite not being old enough to fully understand, it isnt nice.

I dont like to see any club fold and be taken away from the real supporters, after all, we are all the same underneath the bravado and all want to enjoy our football.

one more thing, on the whole "neil" subject, is the best way to get him to stop posting here, just to ignore him and not rise to his posts calling people wankers etc?!
Neil
Circa 1887 wrote:Good question. I neither see them as a rival nor want to see them killed off. I don't see them as being even a spec on our radar, so if it wasn't for the groundshare and defaulting on payments - they'd rarely, if ever, be mentioned on this forum.
Two division between us. Not a spec? Lol.
Neil
SouthportShouldHide wrote:
The Horse wrote:
I'd like to think I wouldn't particularly care if they folded or not. The friendly against them holds no interest for me. And a game in a Mickey Mouse local cup competition does nothing for me either. Being pitched against them in the FA Cup though, that would, for old times sake, fill me with excitement. So I guess I don't want them to fold.

Actually, I'd go one further. I'd quite like to see them do the impossible and spend one season up in the football league with us. But I think that's only because I'd like to imagine the response from any poor deluded fan when they find the average crowd goes up to just over 1,000 people and they have to share the terraces with 800 'wankers' who only started supporting Gloucester when they got promoted...!
You can put that in brackets but its true. I would hold no court with anyone like that, same as the 800 who came to the Orient game and not since. Wankers.
Circa 1887
Neil wrote:
Circa 1887 wrote:Good question. I neither see them as a rival nor want to see them killed off. I don't see them as being even a spec on our radar, so if it wasn't for the groundshare and defaulting on payments - they'd rarely, if ever, be mentioned on this forum.
Two division between us. Not a spec? Lol.
Two divisions...and a gulf in history, stability, fan base and sucess.

You poo-poo the fair weather fans, but you need their cash. It's a fickle attitude; surely you need to get as many bums on seats as possible, given the club's situation?
Malabus
Neil wrote:Two division between us. Not a spec? Lol.

Wouldn't have been if we have not been so very charitable and gave you a home.
Neil
I don't live at Whaddon Road.
Malabus
Neil wrote:I don't live at Whaddon Road.

Too posh for you is it...Tredworth is more your style.
Laurence
The Horse wrote:Would you as a CTFC fan really want GCFC to fold?
No, and I don't think many want that. Just for them to pay their rent. You could look at it as the classic situation of the two enemies ultimately needing each other, but then there's a whole generation of kids who grew up post 1997 and it means nothing to but twitter based "bantz" posturing between their Arsenal/MUFC/Liverpool supporting protestations. There's also Gloucester kids who probably don't know Gloucester has a football team. Would Cheltenham miss them, no. But at the same time, what's gone on with Gloucester City's situation and the numerous episodes of mismanagement with that club is disgraceful.
The Horse wrote:Isnt one of the fun parts of football playing against your rivals
The only way Cheltenham and Gloucester would ever play against each other in a meaningful game is an FA cup tie or if Cheltenham were to "do a Stockport", which outside of re-appointing Martin Allen, is unlikely. I'd rather have another 15 years or rival-less football league status than regular Gloucester/Hereford non-league fixtures.

Anyway, worth reading this article from 2000. Not much seems to have changed.
http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clu ... istraction
asl
Can we swap Neil for Shandy? I liked Shandy. Shandy was funny and talked a lot of sense amongst his witty reposts.
taxidave
asl wrote:Can we swap Neil for Shandy? I liked Shandy. Shandy was funny and talked a lot of sense amongst his witty reposts.
Are you sure you have got that round the right way.
From the CoF
neil wrote
I've deleted the silly posts in this thread, I think the time and effort that's gone into providing us with this fascinating article deserves more respect that the puerile nonsense that Shandy has turned it into.
robinsrule
I feel sorry for Neil. Think about it - he has a genuine love for his club but is constantly belittled by the bigger and better sophisticated neighbours from down the road. He must feel excrutiating pain by forever living in their enormous shadow. He must feel bitter that everybody in Britain knows that the county was named after the wrong town. He must feel an enormous sense of sadness that we will never be competitors again, that the hostile rivalry which burned brightly for all of about five years was cruelly extinguished by the rise and rise of Cheltenham Town FC!

As B.A. would say: "I pity the fool!"
Si Robin
Laurence wrote: Anyway, worth reading this article from 2000. Not much seems to have changed.
http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clu ... istraction
That could have been written in December 2012.
London Exile
If Gloucester City FC was an animal it would have been put to sleep by now.
On the City closed Forum some of the fans are saying that the ground will take time and they need to be patient, but 6 years and counting - FFS!
Now a potential investor has pulled out, you have to ask why? What have they seen that has led to them to withdraw their offer?
From the article we gather they still have yet to pay us the monies owed, Mr Baker stop letting them make a fool of the club, enough is enough. In the JP interview PB admitted that there was little profit in the arrangement so why continue?

Rant over
51/84
apparently sky have put a bid to record the friendly if it happens because they want to show it on the History channel when GCFC fold later in the season
Malabus
asl wrote:Can we swap Neil for Shandy? .
NO both sad morons.
Ralph
so reading the article on COF and apologies if its been mentioned before but its looks like they still owe us money and the investor thats walked away was the "gel" in the group. Sounds like he was the main one and they are back in the sh1t again.. Trainwreck!
51/84
more like shipwreck and sinking fast

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... z2WjclzSxF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mattyboi
51/84 wrote:more like shipwreck and sinking fast

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... z2WjclzSxF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Think it has fully sunk, just waiting to settle on the sea bed!! How they still owe us 20k plus VAT is shocking, yet they recieved a bonus of more than 10k from the FA last week for their cup run!!

Gloucesters going bust, they're going bust!!!