New two year contract for Mark Yates

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
Lincoln City, Rochdale, Shrewsbury.
mattyboi
Is this the same Rochdale who have spent 77 of 85 years in the basement division, hardly pushing for promotion on a regular basis! What would their long serving fans think of some in here.
asl
Joey wrote:Name a team who while league 2 have pushed for automatics or been a play-off spot for several seasons.
Can we include those who didn't f@$k it up from January onwards with a good team...?
Si Robin
mattyboi wrote:Is this the same Rochdale who have spent 77 of 85 years in the basement division, hardly pushing for promotion on a regular basis! What would their long serving fans think of some in here.
You didn't ask if they were promoted, you asked for if they maintained playoff pushes. Something they did for 3 years before reaching League 1 a couple of years ago. Having been relegated, they are now pushing again.
Joey
Three clubs, which proves it's not out of the ordinary for clubs in those positions to sometimes slip away for a season or two.
Alf
Well, I suppose we can all argue/discuss on here till we're blue in the face but it looks like the deed is done and only time will tell whether the rose tinters, who support the status quo are correct or us keyboard worriers (as opposed to warriors) are proved right. If we are, it won't bring me any great pleasure (but I may mention it).
Ralph
mattyboi wrote:Is this the same Rochdale who have spent 77 of 85 years in the basement division, hardly pushing for promotion on a regular basis! What would their long serving fans think of some in here.
thats an incredibly good point! :lol: Look at some on here after just a couple of years
bigdavejambo
Joey wrote:Name a team who while league 2 have pushed for automatics or been a play-off spot for several seasons.
Lincoln did for 4-5 years running under Keith Alexander
Peter Griffin
asl wrote:
Can we include those who didn't f@$k it up from January onwards with a good team...?
Why do people keep saying this?

2010/11, yes we were abysmal from January onwards
2011/12, had a brilliant first 23 getting 46 points so the 31 from the last 23 looked poor in comparison though was largely due to an awful March. January was decent enough with three wins and a loss, February was mixed, won 2, drew 2 and lost 2, March was a disaster, and April/May was pretty good with 4 wins and 2 defeats.
Last season we got 39 points in the first half and 36 in the second. A gigantic THREE points difference.
Reliant Robin
Alf wrote:Reliant. You are happy to slag off people who are honest enough to admit that they are not happy paying £20 to watch the standard of football being played. Presumably then you ARE happy watching the stuff that has been served at home for over a year now? Can you categorically confirm then that you are more than happy with our performances? If the answer is 'yes' can you please tell us how bad things have to be before you consider raising an eyebrow and going 'tut'? If we were relegated would you still think the manager was the right man for the job?
Thanks for your comments Alf. I didn't think I had slagged anyone off in this thread, apologies if you took it to be so but there was nothing aimed at anyone. It was a bit tongue in cheek about the older supporters on this forum deciding the time had come to call it a day and stay in the warm and dry but as a parting shot take a swipe at the current management/Directors as an excuse to have done so.

You ask a number of questions which I will answer. I am a season ticket holder and don't pay anything like £20.00 a game and yes I am very happy with what I pay. I am not a pensioner or a junior and don't benefit from the excellent discount offered to those groups. I get the early bird in the LMI and I feel that is good value for money as it is what Saturday afternoons are all about, being on the terrace with your mates, come rain or shine being loyal to our Club. I always live in hope that we will put on a great performance and that we will push for promotion, but I am not a glory hunter I am a loyal fan who will support the Club through thick and thin. I have a sense of realism about League 2 and therefore don't set my expectations high, so that anything like a promotion push or an exciting cup run is a real bonus. But most of all I enjoy the comradeship I have with my mates on the terrace and I value that 2 or 3 hours on a Saturday (or Tuesday evenings - and road trips to away games) and look forward to it week in and week out. That is why I don't 'tut' if we put in a bad performance because I know that the Players and Management will do what they can to put it right. I am also a qualified football coach and I enjoy the challenge of pitting two teams against one another and working on correcting our own weaknesses whilst exploiting the opposition's. Football is more than winning a game in an entertaining way and as I said earlier, it is a passion that should stay with us for life, because sometimes it can be more like a roller coaster but that is what supporting a team is all about.

If a team is relegated then it is always probable that the manager would be sacked, and that is a matter for a Club & it's owners/Directors to decide. I would tend to agree with that because it would represent failure. What I think is wrong is the panic that sets in amongst some 'fans' when a team loses a few games and those same 'fans' start trying to get a campaign together to oust the manager and/or blame certain players for not putting in a winning/entertaining performance. Our Manager has shown this season that he is capable of putting a run of unbeaten games together, so talk of getting rid of him, in my opinion was ludicrous.

I hope that answers your questions Alf.
Si Robin
Reliant Robin wrote:
Alf wrote:Reliant. You are happy to slag off people who are honest enough to admit that they are not happy paying £20 to watch the standard of football being played. Presumably then you ARE happy watching the stuff that has been served at home for over a year now? Can you categorically confirm then that you are more than happy with our performances? If the answer is 'yes' can you please tell us how bad things have to be before you consider raising an eyebrow and going 'tut'? If we were relegated would you still think the manager was the right man for the job?
Thanks for your comments Alf. I didn't think I had slagged anyone off in this thread, apologies if you took it to be so but there was nothing aimed at anyone. It was a bit tongue in cheek about the older supporters on this forum deciding the time had come to call it a day and stay in the warm and dry but as a parting shot take a swipe at the current management/Directors as an excuse to have done so.

You ask a number of questions which I will answer. I am a season ticket holder and don't pay anything like £20.00 a game and yes I am very happy with what I pay. I am not a pensioner or a junior and don't benefit from the excellent discount offered to those groups. I get the early bird in the LMI and I feel that is good value for money as it is what Saturday afternoons are all about, being on the terrace with your mates, come rain or shine being loyal to our Club. I always live in hope that we will put on a great performance and that we will push for promotion, but I am not a glory hunter I am a loyal fan who will support the Club through thick and thin. I have a sense of realism about League 2 and therefore don't set my expectations high, so that anything like a promotion push or an exciting cup run is a real bonus. But most of all I enjoy the comradeship I have with my mates on the terrace and I value that 2 or 3 hours on a Saturday (or Tuesday evenings - and road trips to away games) and look forward to it week in and week out. That is why I don't 'tut' if we put in a bad performance because I know that the Players and Management will do what they can to put it right. I am also a qualified football coach and I enjoy the challenge of pitting two teams against one another and working on correcting our own weaknesses whilst exploiting the opposition's. Football is more than winning a game in an entertaining way and as I said earlier, it is a passion that should stay with us for life, because sometimes it can be more like a roller coaster but that is what supporting a team is all about.

If a team is relegated then it is always probable that the manager would be sacked, and that is a matter for a Club & it's owners/Directors to decide. I would tend to agree with that because it would represent failure. What I think is wrong is the panic that sets in amongst some 'fans' when a team loses a few games and those same 'fans' start trying to get a campaign together to oust the manager and/or blame certain players for not putting in a winning/entertaining performance. Our Manager has shown this season that he is capable of putting a run of unbeaten games together, so talk of getting rid of him, in my opinion was ludicrous.

My feelings entirely RR. Very well put.
Nesty
Reliant Robin wrote:

mmmm - a few? 3 home wins in 15 is it?
Reliant Robin
Nesty, as you have highlighted my comment "loses a few games" you are implying that we have lost 12 home games then?
London Exile
Torquay had a couple of seasons of play offs and look where they are now
51/84
torquay 6 points behind us, thats not much to make up
Artemis
And as for Lincoln, I imagine they would swap their current position for ours in a flash. As would Stockport, Macclesfield, Chester, Northampton, Hereford, Bristol Rovers, Torquay, Wycombe, all of whom I can remember being promoted to a division higher than the one we're currently in, but are now below us in the pecking order.
Over-speculation can also often lead to a nasty fall. Ask Portsmouth, Leeds, Sheffield United and countless others. Mid-table mediocrity and punching at our weight - with the occasional tilt at promotion and above our weight - suits me just fine.
Last edited by Artemis on 04 Feb 2014, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.
Artemis
51/84 wrote:torquay 6 points behind us, thats not much to make up
The thing is though, that there are 9 teams between us and the drop zone, all of whom would have to over-take us. Whilst not impossible, its certainly less likely for us to be in trouble than if we were 22nd and six points ahead of the drop-zone.
Alf
Reliant. I am not obsessed with success or promotion. I have been happy also to stand on the terrace with my chums waiting for the manager to get things right. It is a question of how long you wait. I also know quite a few people who claim to be football coaches. Some I have the highest respect for some I wouldn't put in charge of a whelk stall. It means nothing. You can train as a teacher, priest or engineer, doesn't make you a good one. If you are a coach surely you can see that in a vast majority of games we get mugged in the second half by tactical switches from the opposition at half time.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Don't agree with the contract extension. Thought it was time for a fresh start after a disappointing season. Maybe a one year extension with an option to extend if the club was in a better shape would have been a good compromise.

I have stopped coming this season after a good 12 years regular attendance and this doesn't tempt me back quite yet. That has nothing to do with MY, priorities in life have changed.
arobinsfan
Nesty wrote:my only comment is this - judging by the comments on here, it is not casual fans who are calling it a day - there are a fair few "old un's" who have been supporters for 30/40/50 years. I hope Baker appreciates this - if he is happy choosing Yates over people who have been supporting since before Yates was even born then fine.

I have supported CTFC since 1969 and have had a season ticket since we joined the league. I will continue to attend home games until the end of the season, however I will not be renewing my season ticket, but instead choosing my games according to who we play and the weather conditions at the time.
I can no longer put up with Mark Yates brand of so called football, it's just that I can find better things to do with my time than catch a bus on a cold wet Tuesday night. I used to enjoy my football going home and away with my wife, my wife lost interest with the MA saga, and to be honest I have lost interest now, it just doe's nothing for me any more.
We used to be members of the 500 club and the Trust, we have resigned from both, also no longer the raffle and program, the hidden lose's, this makes me feel guilty, but I can no longer justify the expense for the brand of football being dished out by players who seem to have no loyalty to the fans or club.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Very sad that arobinsfan. I suppose the thing to remember is that just because you stop going doesn't mean you stop loving the club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
arobinsfan wrote:
Nesty wrote:my only comment is this - judging by the comments on here, it is not casual fans who are calling it a day - there are a fair few "old un's" who have been supporters for 30/40/50 years. I hope Baker appreciates this - if he is happy choosing Yates over people who have been supporting since before Yates was even born then fine.

I have supported CTFC since 1969 and have had a season ticket since we joined the league. I will continue to attend home games until the end of the season, however I will not be renewing my season ticket, but instead choosing my games according to who we play and the weather conditions at the time.
I can no longer put up with Mark Yates brand of so called football, it's just that I can find better things to do with my time than catch a bus on a cold wet Tuesday night. I used to enjoy my football going home and away with my wife, my wife lost interest with the MA saga, and to be honest I have lost interest now, it just doe's nothing for me any more.
We used to be members of the 500 club and the Trust, we have resigned from both, also no longer the raffle and program, the hidden lose's, this makes me feel guilty, but I can no longer justify the expense for the brand of football being dished out by players who seem to have no loyalty to the fans or club.
Agree with that last bit there. That is why I am so keen to see some home-grown players brought through. This season has shown that gambling on a few old mercenaries doesn't achieve anything - so if we're going to be mid-table I'd rather it was with players playing with passion to bust a gut for CTFC.

Whoever is manager will not suddenly make our few big earners into club legends who'd die for the cause - here for a pay packet and nothing more, and it's a shame our club went down that road this season.

We used to take pride in beating teams with bigger budgets and higher paid players, showing how team spirit and hard-work could win through. Now we're the ones being beaten.

Hopefully Yatesy can get back to basics and get the right type of player in over the summer.
51/84
so come the summer when we signfrees from bristol and hereford and bury all we will get is moaning , who are they , not good enough etc
Harrison and T Brown have been condemned because they came from teams below us but Cureton Richards and Noble have been held up ( until last week) as the sort of quality player we needed
arobinsfan
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:Very sad that arobinsfan. I suppose the thing to remember is that just because you stop going doesn't mean you stop loving the club.
Beating Leeds home and away was better than all the so called cup glory runs, and the Cardiff match played on a Sunday mid day, and what about that 5/2 against Plymouth. I used to feel excitement in those days, now I feel its just a chore, and find myself asking, why am I doing this?
Educated Bertie
One is keeping one's powder dry as to whether or not to purchase a season ticket for 2014/5.

One's heart says "of course one will", as has happened for the last umpty-ump years.

One's head, "at this moment in time", says "No Way José", bearing in mind the performances so far this benighted campaign on and off the pitch.

Times is 'ard for us impoverished gentry and one will need "something to turn up" of a more positive nature by all those at HQ twixt now and season's end to finally settle one's course of action.

One wagers one is not alone in this exquisite dilemma.
Robin
I also feel like it's a chore and the club offers nothing for me anymore. Since we've been in the league I've been a regular at away games often going to half the away trips each season. Now I only go to away games if it's a new ground or a group of friends want to make a day of it (very rare indeed). The atmosphere is terrible away from home because most of the people who used to make it good have stopped going, the football is poor quality and it's very expensive. I'm sick of spending £50-100 to go away, be bored by the football and come home thinking why did I bother. I don't want to slag off those remaining fans who go but we often joke that it's a day trip for OAPs and school kids - there are rarely any groups young/middle aged men there.

The worst thing is this has now spread to home games, it's hard to find friends who want to go now, many of which were season ticket holders or didn't miss a game but they feel disconnected from the club. Now I go and think I'm not enjoying this, there is no atmosphere - something which used to be great in the C&G/LMI, there is no passion, the football is awful, there are no pre-match beers to numb the pain, at half time I sit there thinking I can't wait to go home. I cynically laugh that you can't even hear the half time scores because the tannoy is useless and think even clubs like Fleetwood have decent facilities for fans (TV, beer, good food, shelter) - yet we don't have any of this apart from in the In2Print.

The key message for me is the board of the club are probably the furthest they have ever been from the fans, they have alienated the hard core to the extent many have stopped going, the only way to save it is to build a proper football match day experience and give the fans hope of some success or attractive football on the pitch. No more negative PR, no more banning loyal fans (within reason), more positive PR from the board room and a real good go at top three next season otherwise I think I will be picking and choosing home games and I haven't done that since the dark days of the southern league.
Benctfc
Robin wrote:I also feel like it's a chore and the club offers nothing for me anymore. Since we've been in the league I've been a regular at away games often going to half the away trips each season. Now I only go to away games if it's a new ground or a group of friends want to make a day of it (very rare indeed). The atmosphere is terrible away from home because most of the people who used to make it good have stopped going, the football is poor quality and it's very expensive. I'm sick of spending £50-100 to go away, be bored by the football and come home thinking why did I bother. I don't want to slag off those remaining fans who go but we often joke that it's a day trip for OAPs and school kids - there are rarely any groups young/middle aged men there.

The worst thing is this has now spread to home games, it's hard to find friends who want to go now, many of which were season ticket holders or didn't miss a game but they feel disconnected from the club. Now I go and think I'm not enjoying this, there is no atmosphere - something which used to be great in the C&G/LMI, there is no passion, the football is awful, there are no pre-match beers to numb the pain, at half time I sit there thinking I can't wait to go home. I cynically laugh that you can't even hear the half time scores because the tannoy is useless and think even clubs like Fleetwood have decent facilities for fans (TV, beer, good food, shelter) - yet we don't have any of this apart from in the In2Print.

The key message for me is the board of the club are probably the furthest they have ever been from the fans, they have alienated the hard core to the extent many have stopped going, the only way to save it is to build a proper football match day experience and give the fans hope of some success or attractive football on the pitch. No more negative PR, no more banning loyal fans (within reason), more positive PR from the board room and a real good go at top three next season otherwise I think I will be picking and choosing home games and I haven't done that since the dark days of the southern league.
Hard to disagree with any of that. If you improve the atmosphere and buzz around the club you will soon start expanding your fan base. However at the moment we have extended a deal of an unpopular manager that many have had enough of banning fans and trying to stop any type of normal football atmosphere happening this is not the way to attract new fans. One of the things I use to love was the atmosphere and buzz on match days sadly it's not there anymore and many others feel this way. Also getting rid of fan favourites who were good players and replacing them with loans who can't get on the bench of some L1 teams or inexperienced prem players means fans dont feel the same connection.
Robin
Exactly Ben the board have made a number of decisions which appear to be against the wishes and wants of the more loyal fans and now it's starting to bear fruitition.
C.V
Good and honest from the heart post Robin.Will it make any difference sadly l think not.
hEaLeR
Robin wrote: I don't want to slag off those remaining fans who go but we often joke that it's a day trip for OAPs and school kids
I've stayed away from posting for a while as so much rubbish is posted time and time again but if you've got a problem with kids attending games Robin we've no-hope for the club and might as well all give up now.

They are the life blood of the club, they will be the moaners of the future. Don't dismiss them just yet.
Robin
hEaLeR wrote:
Robin wrote: I don't want to slag off those remaining fans who go but we often joke that it's a day trip for OAPs and school kids
I've stayed away from posting for a while as so much rubbish is posted time and time again but if you've got a problem with kids attending games Robin we've no-hope for the club and might as well all give up now.

They are the life blood of the club, they will be the moaners of the future. Don't dismiss them just yet.

Healer I don't understand your comment at all, I'm not slagging the kids or OAPS - I even state that, I am highlighting our away support is made up of those groups and very little in between because a lot of young and middle aged males are drifting away from the club.
London Exile
Robin wrote:I also feel like it's a chore and the club offers nothing for me anymore. Since we've been in the league I've been a regular at away games often going to half the away trips each season. Now I only go to away games if it's a new ground or a group of friends want to make a day of it (very rare indeed). The atmosphere is terrible away from home because most of the people who used to make it good have stopped going, the football is poor quality and it's very expensive. I'm sick of spending £50-100 to go away, be bored by the football and come home thinking why did I bother. I don't want to slag off those remaining fans who go but we often joke that it's a day trip for OAPs and school kids - there are rarely any groups young/middle aged men there.

Good post Robin and I think a feeling felt by a few others.
I've emailed the club recently to suggest we make improvements to the LMI stand.
If they relocate all of Terry's units which are behind the stand and were to install a good sized modular building with TVs, bar and food outlet, this would significantly improve the facilities on offer. Yes it would cost several thousand pounds but I believe we should draw down on some of the investment for this.
As things are currently you are asking adult fans to pay £16 for a terrace with the option of standing in the rain if you want a burger or soft drink. If you want better facilities you have to pay £21 and sit in the I2P and its this hike of £5 which I think can deter fans who might instead opt to stay at home or in the pub and spend their money there.
Hopefully this is something they'll seriously look into as I think it might help rejuvenate that end of the ground
Joey
Robin wrote:
hEaLeR wrote:

Healer I don't understand your comment at all, I'm not slagging the kids or OAPS - I even state that, I am highlighting our away support is made up of those groups and very little in between because a lot of young and middle aged males are drifting away from the club.
Where are they all going then?
51/84
[quote="London Exile"[/quote]

Good post Robin and I think a feeling felt by a few others.
I've emailed the club recently to suggest we make improvements to the LMI stand.
If they relocate all of Terry's units which are behind the stand and were to install a good sized modular building with TVs, bar and food outlet, this would significantly improve the facilities on offer. Yes it would cost several thousand pounds but I believe we should draw down on some of the investment for this.
As things are currently you are asking adult fans to pay £16 for a terrace with the option of standing in the rain if you want a burger or soft drink. If you want better facilities you have to pay £21 and sit in the I2P and its this hike of £5 which I think can deter fans who might instead opt to stay at home or in the pub and spend their money there.
Hopefully this is something they'll seriously look into as I think it might help rejuvenate that end of the ground[/quote]
The problem exile is the investment was for players
The result is other income is being syphoned off to reduce debts and or running costs so there is no investment in the club its debt reduction
Robin
@ Joey - who knows for sure! Most of my friends will go to the pub, spend time with family, go and watch Premiership football instead. We've been a league club fourteen years now most of the teenagers who started coming back then are now long gone, the trend seems to indicate teh same will happen with the kids of now unless the club puts in measures to counter act it.