McGlashan...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jebolani
Turns down new deal.
CheltRobin
What a surprise. I wonder how hard he tried to sign it?
Si Robin
Best of luck to him, he had some fantastic moments but never truly reached his potential here. Maybe he will elsewhere.
Joey
Good riddance.
QED
He's bottled it. Didn't have the heart to come back next season, work hard and prove people wrong. Much easier for him to go elsewhere and trade off his 2012/13 reputation. Very disappointed in him.
CheltRobin
Ah Diddums McG - Just because of a few home truths on social media.
MrsWardenHill
What a surprise not!
taxidave
CheltRobin wrote:Ah Diddums McG - Just because of a few home truths on social media.
Or perhaps he has been offered a better deal by another club, I doubt a few kids having a go at him on twitter will have influenced him too much.
CheltRobin
Listening to Yates' interview about his situation, I wouldn't be so sure.
Reliant Robin
Losing Jermaine McGlashan is a big loss. Ok, he didn't always put in the killer cross - if he had, he'd definitely have been a Championship player - but on the occasions he did deliver a killer cross it usually created a goal.

So, he was honest enough in a training session to admit he hadn't put the effort in that day (for whatever reason ... and he would have had a reason, but no one has ever got his side of the story), but I will always remember him for chasing back 70 metres or more to make tackles and I will admire him for putting up with the brutal fouls from opponents where he always got up, dusted himself off and carried on. He won us endless free kicks in dangerous areas and he frequently took two opponents out the game as they had to double mark him.

I think he has been hounded out of the Club, because he knows some fans would stay on his back next season and he doesn't deserve that. There's a saying in football that what goes on inside the Club stays inside the Club, but he's been let down on this one. You only have to read some of the other comments on this thread to see what sort of reception he'd have got from some of our 'fans' next season.
Joey
Reliant Robin wrote:Losing Jermaine McGlashan is a big loss. Ok, he didn't always put in the killer cross - if he had, he'd definitely have been a Championship player - but on the occasions he did deliver a killer cross it usually created a goal.

So, he was honest enough in a training session to admit he hadn't put the effort in that day (for whatever reason ... and he would have had a reason, but no one has ever got his side of the story), but I will always remember him for chasing back 70 metres or more to make tackles and I will admire him for putting up with the brutal fouls from opponents where he always got up, dusted himself off and carried on. He won us endless free kicks in dangerous areas and he frequently took two opponents out the game as they had to double mark him.

I think he has been hounded out of the Club, because he knows some fans would stay on his back next season and he doesn't deserve that. There's a saying in football that what goes on inside the Club stays inside the Club, but he's been let down on this one. You only have to read some of the other comments on this thread to see what sort of reception he'd have got from some of our 'fans' next season.
Do remind me when this last happened......
Reliant Robin
Joey wrote:
Reliant Robin wrote:Losing Jermaine McGlashan is a big loss. Ok, he didn't always put in the killer cross - if he had, he'd definitely have been a Championship player - but on the occasions he did deliver a killer cross it usually created a goal.

Oh Joey, what a shame I have to destroy your bias:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26202325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C.V
I am certainly not going to jump on the band wagon and start rubbishing him.I felt he was played out of position and this season especially we never saw the true Jermaine.A fresh start for him with a new challenge l think he will improve he was a player that can change a game.Got a feeling he will be a thorn in our side when we cross swords again.Good luck Jermaine at your new club.
Joey
Reliant Robin wrote:
Joey wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26202325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And he's not done it since, in 15 games he's failed to provide a cross leading to a goal.
London Exile
Was never going to sign, just hiding behind the tweet abuse excuse IMO.
Reliant Robin
Joey wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26202325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

And he's not done it since, in 15 games he's failed to provide a cross leading to a goal.[/quote]

Oh Joey, you must be thinking you are so knowledgeable ....

See: http://www.espnfc.com/en/report/369132/ ... ernet=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You fell right into the trap there didn't you, with your anti-Jermaine bias ??? :lol:
bishopscleevechap
not surprised he is off, just a pity we could not recoup some of that transfer fee.
Si Robin
London Exile wrote:Was never going to sign, just hiding behind the tweet abuse excuse IMO.
I agree, he's been rumoured to be going for ages. The Twitter rubbish was ready made for him.
Joey
If you think McGlashan is a good winger then I worry for you RR.
Fuller
Don't worry Zak is a ready made replacement....

Was that a waste of £50K ? (Torquay play offs apart.) Discuss.
trickster
As soon as he admitted he wasn’t trying on the training ground or whatever he was history, anyone with anything between their ears would know that he would always be tagged here as someone that doesn’t give 100%, and if we have another bad season his position would have been intolerable, fans always look for someone to blame and he knew that.

I don’t feel sorry for him at all its all his own doings he brought it all on himself, when he first started to play for us you could almost guarantee the defender marking him would get booked or sent off, he was building quite a reputation and teams were afraid of him you could see by the way they set out to handle him, but gradually he became a fairly ordinary player that drifted in and out of games no longer a match winner, my personal opinion for what it’s worth is he got a bit too big for his boots, he will probably start well wherever he goes but it will need a manager that can keep him motivated if he’s going to be a success.
thebow
Massive waste of 50k. Has been dire this season. Thinks he is better than he is.
London Exile
No better than Mohammed IMO and he's ended up back in L2!
Malabus
Most overrated player in the history of the game. Seen about 2/3 quality crosses in his tenure at the club.
art vandalay
He's had some very effective games but I felt all too often we were trying to accommodate him, rather than do what was best for the team. I never expected him to re-sign though and think he's just one of many players these days who will attempt to justify his departure as being "someone else's fault" rather than being man enough to take any responsibility himself.
Malabus
thebow wrote:Massive waste of 50k. Has been dire this season. Thinks he is better than he is.
Not really his goals got us to Wembley.
Carthorse Ted
Not much McGlashen of teeth at his departure, IMO.
CTFC03
His heart has not been in it from January so it was time to move on.
Sprout Picker
Joey wrote:If you think McGlashan is a good winger then I worry for you RR.
Have to agree Joey. Quick and generally chased back well but end product was poor - well below that of Mo who always seemed to get criticised. A good wide player should be getting regular assists, not the odd one here and there.
Si Robin
According to http://www.espnfc.com/player/_/id/15049 ... an?cc=5739 he's got just 9 assists in his time here. That is appalling for a winger in my opinion.
everyman
Si Robin wrote:According to http://www.espnfc.com/player/_/id/15049 ... an?cc=5739 he's got just 9 assists in his time here. That is appalling for a winger in my opinion.
Because of his natural pace he allways had potential,but never improved his delivery or finishing it will be interesting to see if a different club will be able to develop his game,if one does it will reflect on the ability of the coaching here.
Horteng
Good luck Jermaine but im afraid you were average at best here. Yes you have pace but you cannot beat a man, cannot cross, cannot shoot and normally run the ball out of play.

That said you weren't afraid to get stuck in tracking back and tackling etc
swellingsdownbelow
McGlashans departure might well be an opportunity to see if CBB can be played further forward. For me he has shown glimpses of potential going foward. Sad to see McGlashen go, he might not of won us a League Title, but he may have won us an Oscar for his 'falling with style'.
Old Coventrian
I for one am sorry to see him go. He scared defences and excited the crowd, won a lot of free-kicks and corners. Playing the diamond over this last season was not really playing to his strengths.
Uppy
I would rather he had stayed, but he had a horrific year. If he had been Mo then he would have been slaughtered for some of his performances.