Will we see CTFC in Brazil?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Watching the beautiful sight of the St George Cross circling the pitch in Miami, try as I might, I cannot spot the Cheltenham Town FC flag - it used to be an ever present a few years ago and I would see it every time England played (like that bloody Scunthorpe one).

What a great moment it would be to see that flag take pride of place in Brazil. Anyone on here know who the guardians are and whether they are going to Brazil?
asl
I know of one St George/Cheltenham (no 'Town') flag that's going - an old mucker of mine from work who is absolutely not a CTFC fan.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I know of one St George/Cheltenham (no 'Town') flag that's going - an old mucker of mine from work who is absolutely not a CTFC fan.
Great stuff, I will look out for the Cheltenham flag. Let's hope it is hung for the final for the whole world to see.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just saw a flag with 'Tivoli' on it, and another word I couldn't see as it was obscured.
Reliant Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Just saw a flag with 'Tivoli' on it, and another word I couldn't see as it was obscured.
I think the other word was 'Trading' ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reliant Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Just saw a flag with 'Tivoli' on it, and another word I couldn't see as it was obscured.
I think the other word was 'Trading' ;)
Too much to ask the UK's best wine shop to have a flag I suppose.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
asl wrote:I know of one St George/Cheltenham (no 'Town') flag that's going - an old mucker of mine from work who is absolutely not a CTFC fan.
Great stuff, I will look out for the Cheltenham flag. Let's hope it is hung for the final for the whole world to see.
Only way will be if he gives it to some Italian fans, as he heads home in June :lol: :lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
England to surprise a few people I think.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:England to surprise a few people I think.
Let me think .......... Have I heard that before ?????? ... hmmmmmmmmmmm, yes - every time :roll:
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Watching the beautiful sight of the St George Cross circling the pitch in Miami, try as I might, I cannot spot the Cheltenham Town FC flag - it used to be an ever present a few years ago and I would see it every time England played (like that bloody Scunthorpe one).

What a great moment it would be to see that flag take pride of place in Brazil. Anyone on here know who the guardians are and whether they are going to Brazil?
Our own Paul Godfrey will be flying the flag i believe.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great stuff.
Alf
Is Hodgson the new Alf Ramsey?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
This is the only competition since 1996 where I have thought we have a really good chance so why not?

Brazil are favourites and their unpredictability and individuality in attack is what makes them so dangerous. And if Sturridge, Lallana and Sterling are allowed freedom to play how they like and have fun then I think they are most dangerous front three after Brazil.
CTFC03
I'm with RCS here, we can really do well this time but I'm a bit concerned about our back line, Jagielka does not look like Jagielka of Everton, Glen Johnson's defending is suspect, assuming we go 4-4-2, I would like to see Milner infront of Johnson to give him protection and then one of Sterling/Welbeck/Rooney or Lallana on the left.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:I'm with RCS here, we can really do well this time but I'm a bit concerned about our back line, Jagielka does not look like Jagielka of Everton, Glen Johnson's defending is suspect, assuming we go 4-4-2, I would like to see Milner infront of Johnson to give him protection and then one of Sterling/Welbeck/Rooney or Lallana on the left.
---------------------Hart------------------

Johnson------Jones-----Cahill-----Baines

---------Henderson------Gerrard---------

Lallana-----------Rooney--------Sterling

------------------Sturridge-----------------

Barkley for Rooney or Lallana would be my back-up if we need more pace - counter attack our way to glory. I expect back-heels aplenty, players taking men on, the front four interchanging and bamboozling defenders. Let's go to Brazil and bloody play like Brazil. ATTACK. ATTACK. ATTACKATTACKATTACK!
Alf
I think Argentina are in with a great chance also but I like Hodgsons positive attitude.
longmover
I'm sure there's a huge flag on show at past England games with CHELTENHAM on it and no reference to CTFC, the owner of that flag is the manager of one of Chelts prestigious nightclubs.
confused.com
CTFC03 wrote:I'm with RCS here, we can really do well this time but I'm a bit concerned about our back line, Jagielka does not look like Jagielka of Everton, Glen Johnson's defending is suspect, assuming we go 4-4-2, I would like to see Milner infront of Johnson to give him protection and then one of Sterling/Welbeck/Rooney or Lallana on the left.
How many more minutes of dross will you have to sit through, before you smell the coffee ? Usual hype, usual $hit
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Confused, what has surprised me this year is the lack of hype and less of an the 'we are going to win it' coverage.

Media and people are already going on about 'a tough group' that getting past round one would be an achievement.

Usually we hype up when we have no chance but this time everything is being played down despite having a better chance.
confused.com
"David Beckham says striker Wayne Rooney is essential to England's chances at the World Cup because he "scares" opposition teams"
.......... RCS - if he doesn't scare Southampton and the likes, I can't see any really world class player being scared of him, or anyone else on the team. THIS is the kind of rubbish that is being spouted
baggy89
"ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK" with a counter attacking formation in 30+ degree heat and 90% humidity.

I like your thinking!!!
El Capitano
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:And if Sturridge, Lallana and Sterling are allowed freedom to play how they like and have fun then I think they are most dangerous front three after Brazil.
Come on mate, you're a Fulham fan, you know Hodgson won't allow that much freedom.
baggy89
El Capitano wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:And if Sturridge, Lallana and Sterling are allowed freedom to play how they like and have fun then I think they are most dangerous front three after Brazil.
Come on mate, you're a Fulham fan, you know Hodgson won't allow that much freedom.
Not to mention it's utter tripe.

Argentina - Messi, Aguero, Higuain.

Spain - Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Costa

Chile - Vidal, Sanchez, Vargas

Uruguay - Cavani, Suarez, Forlan

Germany - Kroos, Goetze, Schurrle, Klose

etc...

Don't get me wrong it is good that you get behind your players, and have belief. The thing that grates is the over hyping nonsense that goes on, and the more recent "Oh we've got really low expectations", but everyone can see, as you as a nation are so c!#p at hiding it, that bubbling under the surface is this miss-placed arrogance (as evidenced in this thread) that England are somehow considered World Class anywhere else other than in English pub's, living rooms and in the jingoistic punditry the rest of the UK have to endure.
confused.com
Baggy, you are so right. Behind the 'low expectations' is the belief that if we say it often enough, people will actually start to believe that we don't think Engerland are world beaters. Scrtach the surface and the same old ' we can win this' C$£p comes out.
Never ceases to amuse and bewilder me why people still think it is anything more than a medicore team. The warm up matches shows that. I hope the Attack attack Attack lobby gets their way. Because it will result to that defence getting ripped apart, by teams that are well capable at soaking up pressure and hitting on the break. Alternative B is of course that in the heat and the humidity, the average 11 end of chasing after a ball, which most decent foreign teams are at ease with and can knock about to each other with ease.
England has no players that are 'world class' or near it. You don't actually see European teams turning up with loads of cash for any of them ????
Shade
Thank Christ I don't know any of you dour, miserable bastards.

It's summer. There's a World Cup. I understand the Scot being jealous as there are millions of them but, as with anything in life, why not have a bit of hope? England are unlikely to win. Greece were even less likely to win Euro 2004. So enjoy it or go and crawl under a rock until late July, because your pathetic attempts to spoil everybody else's fun just so you can say in a couple of weeks "I told you so" aren't welcome.
asl
I fancy us to get a draw against Italy. Would a draw, a loss and a win be good enough to get us through? Could come down to gd.

I gather that we're likely to play the Ivory Coast or Cameroon in the next round, should we come out of the group. If we've managed to get that far, I'd fancy us to beat either of them. Quarter finals wouldn't be a bad return, at all.

But no: I don't think we'll get out of the group - but that's not going to stop me shouting at the TV for all three matches.
Si Robin
Greece in 2004 is evidence that anyone can win a cup competition. Same goes for Italy in 2006, a country in turmoil (at least on the Footballing side) when they came in to the World Cup.

Get through the group, and there is no reason why we can't, then it's a knockout. Anything can happen on the day.

Do I think England will win the World Cup? God no. Do I think England have a chance? Definitely yes. Otherwise what's the point in even watching it.
baggy89
I don't believe I am jealous.

Would I like to see Scotland qualify for a major finals? Of course I would. Would I then build myself up believing they had a chance, using Greece 2004 as an example of what "could" happen? No, I would not.

I would (as I always have) enjoy the world cup for what it is. A fantastic month of watching some of the worlds greatest players, perform or not, discussing results, controversies, goals etc. There would be no period of mourning when they got knocked out and you would never hear me utter the words "Not interested in that rubbish now, we're are out" as I have heard at least one person utter after every ref robbing, Johnny foreigner cheating, moment of petulance, unfair lottery of penaltys that have cost every England team their rightful World Cup trophy since time immemorial.
confused.com
Shade wrote:Thank Christ I don't know any of you dour, miserable bastards.

It's summer. There's a World Cup. I understand the Scot being jealous as there are millions of them but, as with anything in life, why not have a bit of hope? England are unlikely to win. Greece were even less likely to win Euro 2004. So enjoy it or go and crawl under a rock until late July, because your pathetic attempts to spoil everybody else's fun just so you can say in a couple of weeks "I told you so" aren't welcome.
:D :D :D :D see , I am smiling. Comparing Greece and 2004 is somewhat akin to saying the winners of the JPT would always have a chance in the Champions League :lol: (now I am laughing)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
"Across Europe’s top four leagues only Luis Suárez, Cristiano Ronaldo, Diego Costa, Lionel Messi and Ciro Immobile scored more goals last season. Of these two are genius-level roaming attackers. Two more – Suárez and Costa – are injury doubts. Immobile, another itinerant late-bloomer, is even more likely to start on the bench. At the end of which Sturridge looks from the right angle like the most productive fully fit first-choice centre forward at the World Cup."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... razil-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
El Capitano wrote:
Europa League run some of the best I have ever seen. From the group stage until the end never stopped going for goals when needed - three away at Basel, four against Juve and the epic semi-final:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd4qzy ... m-vs_sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If England play with half as much desire and open forward play then Sterling will run amok.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I fancy us to get a draw against Italy. Would a draw, a loss and a win be good enough to get us through? Could come down to gd.

I gather that we're likely to play the Ivory Coast or Cameroon in the next round, should we come out of the group. If we've managed to get that far, I'd fancy us to beat either of them. Quarter finals wouldn't be a bad return, at all.

But no: I don't think we'll get out of the group - but that's not going to stop me shouting at the TV for all three matches.
Suarez is injured remember so I can't see Uruguay scoring too many.
baggy89
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:"Across Europe’s top four leagues only Luis Suárez, Cristiano Ronaldo, Diego Costa, Lionel Messi and Ciro Immobile scored more goals last season. Of these two are genius-level roaming attackers. Two more – Suárez and Costa – are injury doubts. Immobile, another itinerant late-bloomer, is even more likely to start on the bench. At the end of which Sturridge looks from the right angle like the most productive fully fit first-choice centre forward at the World Cup."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... razil-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Statistics, miniskirts etc...

Just off the top of my head Aguero is more prolific this season. Sturridge 24 in 32. Aguero 28 in 34. I'd expect better from The Guardian, although I imagine they are only counting league goals to further their point.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
baggy89 wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:"Across Europe’s top four leagues only Luis Suárez, Cristiano Ronaldo, Diego Costa, Lionel Messi and Ciro Immobile scored more goals last season. Of these two are genius-level roaming attackers. Two more – Suárez and Costa – are injury doubts. Immobile, another itinerant late-bloomer, is even more likely to start on the bench. At the end of which Sturridge looks from the right angle like the most productive fully fit first-choice centre forward at the World Cup."

Statistics, miniskirts etc...

Just off the top of my head Aguero is more prolific this season. Sturridge 24 in 32. Aguero 28 in 34. I'd expect better from The Guardian, although I imagine they are only counting league goals to further their point.
Prem League:

31 Suarez (Liverpool)
21 Sturridge (Liverpool)
20 Yaya Touré (Man City)
17 Agüero (Man City)
17 Rooney (Man Utd)
baggy89
That's kind of my point...

Statistics are just like mini-skirts. They give you good ideas but hide the most important thing (Skohvdahl, E - 1998)

For the record EPL; Aguero 17 in 23, Sturridge 21 in 29. I'm sure Aguero isn't the only player discounted as being superior to Sturridge, this season, based on convenient stats.