What did the Tamworth defeat really cost us

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Having seen that money is not easy to come by http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/commer ... 95984.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I was reflecting where it went wrong

The Tamworth defeat meant no money to strengthen the squad, and in fact resulted in getting rid of 2 senior players who were never really replaced. Was this the catalyst that meant we didnt push on and then stumble and as a result our main sponsors have not had value for money. The sponsorship deals have finished and there as with supporters lots of reasons why they are not renewed
Glos College making people redundant money cut, Abbey business and or I2P taken over. Are the Echo still sponsoring.

Rather than increasing our revenue streams they seem to be disappearing.
Perhaps we can persuade Banksy to paint something on a stand

If the sponsorship is down then the gate money becomes more important
Is there any new investment out there as the crowds will not be increasing unless we start wining games

Where does the club turn now
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A trend I have noticed. Grounds which stagnate or decline from year to year have worse, fewer and more out of date advertisements each time I go. Whereas ones where clubs invest in the stadium and off the pitch infrastructure see sponsorship and advertising go from strength to strength. Somehow, we simply have to get money from somewhere to get the main stand at the very least if we are to see future growth in commercial activity and revenue.
Cinderford robin
I see the club tweeted some really exciting news coming up next week on the commercial side?.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Same as the link in the OP
taxidave
Cinderford robin wrote:I see the club tweeted some really exciting news coming up next week on the commercial side?.
I hope the commercial news is more exciting than the underwhelming signings that the chairman informed us would really excite us this week. :!:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
Cinderford robin wrote:I see the club tweeted some really exciting news coming up next week on the commercial side?.
I hope the commercial news is more exciting than the underwhelming signings that the chairman informed us would really excite us this week. :!:
Ha, just had an awful thought they are just going to unveil a new range of pies!
London Exile
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:A trend I have noticed. Grounds which stagnate or decline from year to year have worse, fewer and more out of date advertisements each time I go. Whereas ones where clubs invest in the stadium and off the pitch infrastructure see sponsorship and advertising go from strength to strength. Somehow, we simply have to get money from somewhere to get the main stand at the very least if we are to see future growth in commercial activity and revenue.
I agree re the main stand. Even if we sold/leased off some of the car park or gave up a percentage of future income on the new main stand to a commercial partner, surely any growth is better than none?
A 1,500-2,000 seated upper tier with similar standing lower tier with commercial facilities bolted on would be superb and semi complete the ground (along with PRE tidy up)

Sadly I can't see any new main stand in the next 5-10 years
everyman
London Exile wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:A trend I have noticed. Grounds which stagnate or decline from year to year have worse, fewer and more out of date advertisements each time I go. Whereas ones where clubs invest in the stadium and off the pitch infrastructure see sponsorship and advertising go from strength to strength. Somehow, we simply have to get money from somewhere to get the main stand at the very least if we are to see future growth in commercial activity and revenue.
I agree re the main stand. Even if we sold/leased off some of the car park or gave up a percentage of future income on the new main stand to a commercial partner, surely any growth is better than none?
A 1,500-2,000 seated upper tier with similar standing lower tier with commercial facilities bolted on would be superb and semi complete the ground (along with PRE tidy up)

It may be that we will return to a level of competition we can compete in both financially and in terms of attendance figures.While i have enjoyed the football league experience i have allways felt we were punching above our weight and our prospects of rising to another level were never more than extremely unlikely.
taxidave
everyman wrote:It may be that we will return to a level of competition we can compete in both financially and in terms of attendance figures.While i have enjoyed the football league experience i have allways felt we were punching above our weight and our prospects of rising to another level were never more than extremely unlikely.
I feel sure our present board of directors would be very happy with that situation.
everyman
taxidave wrote:
everyman wrote:It may be that we will return to a level of competition we can compete in both financially and in terms of attendance figures.While i have enjoyed the football league experience i have allways felt we were punching above our weight and our prospects of rising to another level were never more than extremely unlikely.
I feel sure our present board of directors would be very happy with that situation.
Nail hit firmly on the head ???
Malabus
The Tamworth defeat was very costly; beyond belief. If we have another exit of the first round in season 14/15 then I fear that a decline will be inevitable regarding squad strength and finances.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It was stated in the summer by the Chairman that our budget did not include potential FA Cup money, which is viewed as a bonus.

Either that statement was incorrect or the budget was wrong. Either would need a better explanation than has been given to date.

One for shareholders AGM?
Alf
The most annoying thing of all is that it was not the most difficult of cup ties.
Robin
everyman wrote:
London Exile wrote:

It may be that we will return to a level of competition we can compete in both financially and in terms of attendance figures.While i have enjoyed the football league experience i have allways felt we were punching above our weight and our prospects of rising to another level were never more than extremely unlikely.
We are there now to be fair, the question is do we allow the club to simply stagnate or do we try to get back into league one and develop the club in order to compete at that level?
taxidave
Robin wrote: We are there now to be fair, the question is do we allow the club to simply stagnate or do we try to get back into league one and develop the club in order to compete at that level?
I would have thought our recent signings answer your question.
Cinderford robin
I must admit the last two signings have left me underwhelmed but I will give them a chance first.
Robin
I know Dave and it does feel the club is heading in the wrong direction at the moment, how many people would welcome a Dale Vance type Chairman here?
Ralph
not me. When he pulls the plug and he will one day, they will fall like a lead weight
CheltRobin
Everyman and TD - Simply cant agree that you both feel that Chelt have been punching above their weight in the footy league - How many seasons have we been really struggling to stay in the league? On my count, its only the 2009/10 season where we finished 22nd under MA/MY. 1 season out of 15? How is that punching above our weight?
Robin
We are not a small club in league two, middle of this league is our natural level now.
Alf
Ralph wrote:not me. When he pulls the plug and he will one day, they will fall like a lead weight
Why is Dale Vince considered unreliable because he decides to put money into FGR?
He gave Dave Hockaday enough rope before replacing him. I don't think he can be considered a 'fly by night' investor. I wish he had been interested in taking over us. It's easy to fire cheap shots but maybe not so funny when we swap league places. I think he is there for the long hall and FGR are serious competition to our 'floating voter' fan base.
CheltRobin
Vince said that FGR would win the league last season - they were so close! For all the money hes ploughed in, they are still no closer to getting promted. I believe if they dont go up in the next couple of seasons, Vince will be gone.
Malabus
CheltRobin wrote:Vince said that FGR would win the league last season - they were so close! For all the money hes ploughed in, they are still no closer to getting promted. I believe if they dont go up in the next couple of seasons, Vince will be gone.
Top five next season.
CheltRobin
Hope ur right for FGR fans sake - If he ever pulls out, they will sink like a stone.
Robin
On the outside he's done an amazing job with a very small club, probably the equivlant of us challenging for a place into the Championship.
CheltRobin
True - Thats what a few million can do!
Si Robin
Robin wrote:On the outside he's done an amazing job with a very small club, probably the equivlant of us challenging for a place into the Championship.
What has he done but plough money in? He's done no different than what Dave Whelan did, except for the fact that Whelan actually took Wigan from the bottom division to the Prem. Vince had a team already in the Conference Premier (the longest serving members of the Conference Premier) and, after two years, they're still there.

If what's he's done has been amazing, then what the previous board did before without even a fraction of the funding must have been nothing short of miraculous.

I'd love a Jack Walker type at Cheltenham. Fan of the club, who even in death would leave a fortune to the club. Unfortunately, I'd also love to be wealthy enough to be that Jack Walker type. I wouldn't want a Dale Vince coming in and doing little differently to what Tan at Cardiff has done. The only thing I would give him credit for is the amount of opportunities he gave Hockaday to get it right.
Alf
A few veiled insults and a bit of huffing and puffing but are you saying that you don't ever see FGR as being a threat to our fan base?
CheltRobin
Thats correct.
CheltRobin
How much has FGR's attendance increased since Vance's arrival? A few 100 maybe? Unfortunately, FGR suffer the same problem as Chelt in that in their local area, they just cant get decent attendances comparec to the local population.
taxidave
CheltRobin wrote:How much has FGR's attendance increased since Vance's arrival? A few 100 maybe? Unfortunately, FGR suffer the same problem as Chelt in that in their local area, they just cant get decent attendances comparec to the local population.
I would say it is the exact opposite, Forest Green is a village of a couple of hundred and Nailsworth is not much bigger and yet they get crowds of over 1000 every game.
CheltRobin
I was thinking more in terms of the population of Gloucestershire - they are, after all, the 2nd highest club in the footy pyramid in the county.
Alf
Yes but surely we know that there is a large number of floating sports fans in Glos and surrounding area who will attach themselves to whoever or whatever is successful at any particular time. This is why we can take 18,000 to Wembley. The more successful FGR is, the more fans they will attract in the same way that we would if we had a steady run at the top of the league. It's naff all to do with the size of Nailsworth, Cheltenham, Gloucester or Laurie Lee's favourite village, Dandruff-on-the-Knob. We have to wake up to the fact that we are competing for these nomadic sports fans. They don't all go to Kingsholm.
CheltRobin
Fair point, I just think that even if FGR got promoted, they would struggle to attract even 2000 regular fans. Unless Chelt then got relegated, I feel Chelt will always have the advantage over them.
Robin
Definitely agree FGR are similar to Accrington, Morecambe etc and would never last long term in the league.