A midfield observation

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

boycott97
I've attended a fair few games home and away, and the more I see the more I think we have a problem in our midfield. Taylor, Richards, and Hanks have all had good games this year and are putting in a shift. But we have no pace there, and all three are not mobile enough. When other teams up the tempo they simply run through us straight onto the defence and batter us. Yesterday was a prime example. I know we started with De Vita yesterday but he isn't a central midfielder and doesn't have the physical presence. I do worry that Hanks isn't going to make it because he cant teach pace and large increases in mobility- which is a shame because he can see a pass and has some good attributes. I would have brought Wynter back as he has good attributes as well plus pace and wont get run around!
Yates/manager find us a quality, mobile and pacey midfielder or we are doomed!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hall will be our star midfielder when fit.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Hall will be our star midfielder when fit.
When will that be?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
When will that be?
To quote the great bell of Bow; I do not know.
Baggio
boycott97 wrote:I've attended a fair few games home and away, and the more I see the more I think we have a problem in our midfield. Taylor, Richards, and Hanks have all had good games this year and are putting in a shift. But we have no pace there, and all three are not mobile enough. When other teams up the tempo they simply run through us straight onto the defence and batter us. Yesterday was a prime example. I know we started with De Vita yesterday but he isn't a central midfielder and doesn't have the physical presence. I do worry that Hanks isn't going to make it because he cant teach pace and large increases in mobility- which is a shame because he can see a pass and has some good attributes. I would have brought Wynter back as he has good attributes as well plus pace and wont get run around!
I really don't understand how or why it's always the youngster who gets the brunt of the blame. You say Hanks doesn't have pace, ( which is wrong), but I bet you a pound to a penny he's quicker than Taylor and Richards. What's more, he's getting stick, and he didn't play one second on Saturday, yet they get beaten easier than any other game this season!
He got dropped for someone who is a bit rusty to play out of position, work that one out. Even when he's playing well (which is nearly every game he plays) , he's always the first to be subbed.
What should be happening is that he should get more responsibility and be trusted a bit more. It's not like he hasn't earnt it, after all, he may only have 2, but he is top scorer, even though he does keep getting the crooked finger. LET HIM PLAY!!!
mattyboi
Baggio wrote:
boycott97 wrote:I've attended a fair few games home and away, and the more I see the more I think we have a problem in our midfield. Taylor, Richards, and Hanks have all had good games this year and are putting in a shift. But we have no pace there, and all three are not mobile enough. When other teams up the tempo they simply run through us straight onto the defence and batter us. Yesterday was a prime example. I know we started with De Vita yesterday but he isn't a central midfielder and doesn't have the physical presence. I do worry that Hanks isn't going to make it because he cant teach pace and large increases in mobility- which is a shame because he can see a pass and has some good attributes. I would have brought Wynter back as he has good attributes as well plus pace and wont get run around!
I really don't understand how or why it's always the youngster who gets the brunt of the blame. You say Hanks doesn't have pace, ( which is wrong), but I bet you a pound to a penny he's quicker than Taylor and Richards. What's more, he's getting stick, and he didn't play one second on Saturday, yet they get beaten easier than any other game this season!
He got dropped for someone who is a bit rusty to play out of position, work that one out. Even when he's playing well (which is nearly every game he plays) , he's always the first to be subbed.
What should be happening is that he should get more responsibility and be trusted a bit more. It's not like he hasn't earnt it, after all, he may only have 2, but he is top scorer, even though he does keep getting the crooked finger. LET HIM PLAY!!!
As above, couldn't agree more. Should have really featured more last season. Get him in the game and he will spray passes and control the game in a similar way Marlon Pack did. Why he was replaced in the team by a player who isnt match fit and was played out of position is beyond me. Put a round peg in a round hole and it will fit, a square peg might look nice and shiny in its box, but it wont fit, so it wont work!
CheltRobin
I think (or hope) that Hanks was just being rested on Sat because of Weds match. I expect to see him start this Sat.
Malabus
CheltRobin wrote:I think (or hope) that Hanks was just being rested on Sat because of Weds match. I expect to see him start this Sat.
Like to see Stirling James start.
Benctfc
Surely it is time to have a look at the 4-5-1 or 4-4-3 formation. Given as this was the formation we started out playing with in pre season it is surely worth a look at in a league game. At home especially I think the formation would work. What I would like to see for the next game.
Carson
Vaughan
Elliott
Taylor
CBB
Hanks
Taylor
Richards
De Vita
Eusebio
Sterling James

This formation has arguably been the most successful for Yates and imo would be ideal for the players we have at the club.
horlickfanclub
Revolutionary- three wingers in team above.

I agree Taylor and Richards have no pace but for Hanks to pass we need some width. Noble and Pack had McGlashan to aim for. Richards is also very one sided and that reduces his options.
51/84
I think I would prefer the 4-4-3 you suggest Ben
This would allow us to utilise the spare man , but we dont have 3 in form strikers
leohoenig
I think 4-4-3 is the way to go as well. I wonder how we persuade the FA to allow us one more player than the opposition.
Fuller
leohoenig wrote:I think 4-4-3 is the way to go as well. I wonder how we persuade the FA to allow us one more player than the opposition.
Nah, if we had 12 players they would get in each others way more than they do at present !!
CTFC_Forever
51/84 wrote:I think I would prefer the 4-4-3 you suggest Ben
This would allow us to utilise the spare man , but we dont have 3 in form strikers
Classic.

Maybe we should start to employ Carson as a sweeper keeper as well...... and as for the strikers, maybe on of our many wingers could fill the gap :lol:
Shade
Rush goalie would work fine.
joes dad
Nesty wrote:
When will that be?
When he's ready :?
http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/asa-ha ... 18679.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C.V
joes dad wrote:
Nesty wrote:
When will that be?
When he's ready :?
http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/asa-ha ... 18679.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the mean time we go with what we have got :roll:
Educated Bertie
C.V wrote: In the mean time we go with what we have got :roll:
In the many, many years of one's spectating, one has always assumed that to be the case.

Wishful thinking is not a sound policy.