Winning formula

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ghandi
Quote from yatesy in the echo "Still trying to find a winning formula".Meaning,I don't know what my best team is,and never will do.I've got a room full of winger's that i can't use,and only one decent player in the middle of the park (no,not donkey taylor).So we'll stick to the system,and go with what we,ve got!Football genius.
CS85
Wasnt it around feb/march last season he said something along the lines of "i still dont know my best 11"
Come on yates get it bloody sorted its almost november ffs.
CTFC03
He knows his best defence is Taylor, Elliot and Troy with Vaughan and CBB as full backs, rest of the pitch is all over the place at times!
Robin
I am alarmed by the chopping and changing of forward players in that we signed sub-standard wingers this summer, realised they weren't good enough (it seems) and then signed De Vita and Eusebio, they looked decent then they were dropped.
CheltRobin
Top scorer TG and Eusebio up front for Sat.
confused.com
ghandi wrote:Quote from yatesy in the echo "Still trying to find a winning formula".Meaning,I don't know what my best team is,and never will do.I've got a room full of winger's that i can't use,and only one decent player in the middle of the park (no,not donkey taylor).So we'll stick to the system,and go with what we,ve got!Football genius.
Only the lies of you could read so much into one statement. "never will do" ..... yeah I see exactly where that came out in his sentence . Get a life
THECHOIRBOY
ghandi wrote:Quote from yatesy in the echo "Still trying to find a winning formula".Meaning,I don't know what my best team is,and never will do.I've got a room full of winger's that i can't use,and only one decent player in the middle of the park (no,not donkey taylor).So we'll stick to the system,and go with what we,ve got!Football genius.
And for those interested in what he is actually quoted as saying!!

“We are trying to find that formula to try and be organised and solid but also have that little spark as well,” Yates said.

“We want to be able to hurt teams as well as being secure at the back and we are still searching for that right blend.

“Whether that’s Joe in there, Omari Sterling-James or even Eusebio in a different position or even Raffa (De Vita) we have some different options in there.

“Nobody is really nailed on in that position at the moment and we’re just trying to get that balance right.”
Tom
Has to be Gornell and Marquis up front on Saturday
ghandi
Confused,your confushed again.I put what yatesy said in quotation marks,therein lies the clue.I said "He never will do",because he's a tinkerman who's decision making on tactics,formations & personall is usually poor.Thanks to the choirboy for getting his echo out & quoting the whole lot.CS85 can see the same pattern as me,you could give him Real Madrids squad,he still would,nt know his best eleven.
Artemis
Ghandi, the winning formula is not a quote from Yatesie. Its merely poor journalistic interpretation of what Yates actually said about the balance in midfield between defence and attack.
horlickfanclub
Sick of saying it but 4 4 2 is worth a try then you don;t have to worry about the third man in midfield . Simple.
p.s. Our fullbacks are not automatic choices in my view.
Shade
ghandi wrote:Confused,your confushed again.I put what yatesy said in quotation marks,therein lies the clue.I said "He never will do",because he's a tinkerman who's decision making on tactics,formations & personall is usually poor.Thanks to the choirboy for getting his echo out & quoting the whole lot.CS85 can see the same pattern as me,you could give him Real Madrids squad,he still would,nt know his best eleven.
You're so simplistic it's unreal. I'm pretty sure Ancelotti doesn't even know his best player in every single position, otherwise the Real Madrid ethos of have the best players/squad in the world is seriously flawed. It's a squad game and not all of the squad are currently performing at their best, get over it. I bet you are one of the first to moan when players are sat on the bench without playing for weeks.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Manager discusses options and always seeking to use the squad most effectively. Hardly anything out of the ordinary, from England national team downwards that's what management is about.

Criticism for genuine reasons and cause for concern is fine. Starting a whole thread to dissect and twist a run of the mill statement is pathetic.

Ghandi - you don't like Yates, we get it. But please take a step back and try and ignore your agenda to give banal comments like this from managers a fair judgement.

Newspaper asks manager about squad. Manager talks about options in the squad and how he would like to progress. If such perfectly run of the mill stuff is vilified by fans then managers will simply stop speaking to the media and I would not blame them.
everyman
He just needs to pick players "capable of heading it and kicking it " simples !!!
51/84
horlickfanclub wrote:Sick of saying it but 4 4 2 is worth a try then you don;t have to worry about the third man in midfield . Simple.
p.s. Our fullbacks are not automatic choices in my view.
And I'm sick of saying we have no lm or rm
But we do have loans and kids
horlickfanclub
Haworth,Kotwica, Sterling-James, De Vita ,Black could all play r or l in a midfield four that becomes 42 4 when attacking.
confused.com
ghandi wrote:Confused,your confushed again.I put what yatesy said in quotation marks,therein lies the clue.I said "He never will do",because he's a tinkerman who's decision making on tactics,formations & personall is usually poor.Thanks to the choirboy for getting his echo out & quoting the whole lot.CS85 can see the same pattern as me,you could give him Real Madrids squad,he still would,nt know his best eleven.
Not confused at all, I was eluding to how you attribute so much of your own vitriol to his simple statement i.e. he never will do. Please do try and keep up
51/84
horlickfanclub wrote:Haworth,Kotwica, Sterling-James, De Vita ,Black could all play r or l in a midfield four that becomes 42 4 when attacking.
Thanks for proving the point not a lm or rm in sight
horlickfanclub
What are they then 51? To me they are footballers that are happier playing wide than in the middle.The sort of player that is likely to want to go outside and cross rather than playing it inside Therefore right or left.Also happy helping out a fullback Maybe round pegs in round holes
is a description of the role. Mid,flank,wide ,wingers- what does the term matter? .
CTFC03
We can't play 4-4-2, we will get overrun in midfield.
Benctfc
I would still like us to try the the 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 which we started with in pre season. This would be my team for tomorrow.
Carson
Vaughan
Brown
Elliott
CBB
Richards
Taylor
Hanks
De Vita
Gornell
Eusabio

With M. Taylor out I don't see the 3-5-2 as being our best available formation. Play De Vita and Eusabo wide and give Gornell some decent crosses to attack. To me that formation is the best for us to be able to utalise the squad to the best of its ability. I know I would fear that team more if i was an opposition manager compared to the 3-5-2 formation.
horlickfanclub
Why will we get overun in midfield ? It is as likely to happen with 3 as with 2.If you have wide players tracking back it helps our two dodgy fullbacks and the central players can get on with their jobs.If you take the game to the oppo they have to retreat. We have good players-use them properly and attack.Our keeper is an extra defender and we do not have to think that midfield is like last year. It is easy to pass past our 3 man midfield. Time to be a bit positive and get the crowd a bit more excited. 4-4-2 gives passing options for our mid and backs.
When did Mark Yates ever play in a three man midfield or was he starstruck and copied Bristol City after the friendly? Thats when we went from 4 3 3 as he and Baker had suggested we would play .
We could argue all day about this so here are questions for debate. Why was De Vita signed ? Why has Eusebio not played in the position he plays for his own club?
Shade
I think once Asa Hall is finally back and fully match fit he may be the box to box man that will make a 4-4-2 with wide midifelders possible.
ghandi
To all you devotees of the messiah yatesy,answer me one thing.How does it get it so right againist cambridge,then a few days later get it so wrong againist plymouth.We,re talking basic,sensible decisions to combat the side your playing.He lacks consistency in so many areas of football managment.Why in todays echo is he talking up york,there manager & ex robins players.We don't want to hear him talking up the opposition,just say it will be nice to see the three lads back at whaddon road,but that stops at 3pm.Sound as if your strong & confident of beating them,not find excuses that you can use if it all goes to s***e
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ghandi wrote:To all you devotees of the messiah yatesy,answer me one thing.How does it get it so right againist cambridge,then a few days later get it so wrong againist plymouth.We,re talking basic,sensible decisions to combat the side your playing.He lacks consistency in so many areas of football managment.Why in todays echo is he talking up york,there manager & ex robins players.We don't want to hear him talking up the opposition,just say it will be nice to see the three lads back at whaddon road,but that stops at 3pm.Sound as if your strong & confident of beating them,not find excuses that you can use if it all goes to s***e
I am not a devotee. Yates is an average manager doing an ok job at an average team. Nothing more to it.

I don't know why he made those decisions. Nor do I know that we would have done better had he not changed it. For all you and I know he may have made the best decisions and 3-0 was the best we could have done. Nor were we in training during the week. North may have suggested changing it for all we know. It's not a big deal. That is football management at this level with limited resources.

Just because we don't want him gone like you do does not make us devotees. I am indifferent. Don't especially rate or slate. There is middle ground. Stop trying to label and divide fans.
Shade
ghandi wrote:Why in todays echo is he talking up york,there manager & ex robins players.We don't want to hear him talking up the opposition,just say it will be nice to see the three lads back at whaddon road,but that stops at 3pm.Sound as if your strong & confident of beating them,not find excuses that you can use if it all goes to s***e
If you read it as it's actually written and without thinking he's got a secret agenda, that is what he says, and gives a few facts to go along with it. I'm paraphrasing him, but he basically says he hopes Luke, Russ and Keith are welcomed back well by the fans because they did well for us, and it would be sods law if they set up and scored a goal between them but he won't take it personally if they do, that's football. He also mentions they've drawn 9 of their 15 games, so they're hard to beat. That's a fact, not an excuse and if you were a bit of an optimist you might even see that as him saying that if we win it will mean we've played a good game.

Other than that he says they have a good manager, another fact if you take his L2 record in to account, and the vast majority of the rest is the same stuff trotted out by most managers before a game because, quite frankly, there is only so much you can say before a game and we have literally heard it all before from every manager in Britain.
Alf
"Yates is an average manager doing an ok job at an average team"..........you forgot to add " that he has put together".
It's not as though he has just inherited an 'average' team from someone else, this is his team that he has had five or six years to assemble.
This is possibly what punters find frustrating, that we are no further forward than we were last season or the season before.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:"Yates is an average manager doing an ok job at an average team"..........you forgot to add " that he has put together".
It's not as though he has just inherited an 'average' team from someone else, this is his team that he has had five or six years to assemble.
This is possibly what punters find frustrating, that we are no further forward than we were last season or the season before.
One could even add "which he put together on a shoestring budget to rebuild what was a less than average team"...etc.

I don't think you can blame Yates for most of the player turnover. We can only afford one year contacts most of the time. Our best players leave for financial reasons. We have to gamble on unknown, injury recovering, out of favour or non-league players. If we get lucky with a group we may have a good season or two (like 2011-12). But when the good players get snapped up by more wealthy teams and the team needs rebuilt every year or two there is not much that can be done.

By all means change the manager. If you think that will magic up more money to get better players every window then you are not appreciating the situation we are in.

The Board are doing all they can for the club to stay still. We don't have the finances to progress forward and won't without sustained (not one off) investment. That is regardless of who is manager.
joes dad
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Alf wrote:"Yates is an average manager doing an ok job at an average team"..........you forgot to add " that he has put together".
One could even add "which he put together on a shoestring budget to rebuild what was a less than average team"...etc.

I don't think you can blame Yates for most of the player turnover. We can only afford one year contacts most of the time. Our best players leave for financial reasons. We have to gamble on unknown, injury recovering, out of favour or non-league players. If we get lucky with a group we may have a good season or two (like 2011-12). But when the good players get snapped up by more wealthy teams and the team needs rebuilt every year or two there is not much that can be done.

By all means change the manager. If you think that will magic up more money to get better players every window then you are not appreciating the situation we are in.

The Board are doing all they can for the club to stay still. We don't have the finances to progress forward and won't without sustained (not one off) investment. That is regardless of who is manager.
Good post RCS..

The voice of reason
Alf
RCS, your name isn't Joe by any chance? :-)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:RCS, your name isn't Joe by any chance? :-)
Ha.

No.
Nesty
The choice of song played as half time began was tailor made............

"we can work it out".............. not a chance in hell
Benctfc
Benctfc wrote:I would still like us to try the the 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 which we started with in pre season. This would be my team for tomorrow.
Carson
Vaughan
Brown
Elliott
CBB
Richards
Taylor
Hanks
De Vita
Gornell
Eusabio

With M. Taylor out I don't see the 3-5-2 as being our best available formation. Play De Vita and Eusabo wide and give Gornell some decent crosses to attack. To me that formation is the best for us to be able to utalise the squad to the best of its ability. I know I would fear that team more if i was an opposition manager compared to the 3-5-2 formation.
And as expected as soon as we play wingers and play with some width we look a different team. When will we see the 3-5-2 does not work at home. What c!#p did he do on this course in Turkey it isn't rocket science. Also on a side note there has been a lot of talk about attendances this week well if we play winger like we did in the 2nd half people might be prepared to pay and go again however keep the 3-5-2 and crowds will drop.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I suspect the course in Turkey talks about training processes and methods, fitness and mental coaching and technical aspects etc rather than sitting coaches around and telling them that 4-4-2 is better than 3-5-2.
art vandalay
Nothing changes. He signed a load of wingers and then we've started without wingers in, I think, every game. Exactly the same problem that Baker said we must avoid this season.

We end up just playing a load of hoofball because the 2 full-backs don't give us enough attacking width. We looked a completely different team in the second half today because we had space to move the ball about and vary our attacks.