Eusebio off. Marquis ok for cup.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Eusebio makes his final mileage expense claim to head back to Wolves. Two starts and two subs - waste of time and money.

Marquis cleared for the cup. Lets make him season long and see if he can add to his two goals and push double figures.

http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/marqui ... 65430.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
what a farce -
Robin
Shame about Eusebio, one of our better players this season and one of the highlights so far for sheer skill and ability.
51/84
did he score any goals
we need a striker who scores
a creative midfielder is also required
Nesty
and a manager.
51/84
no that will not happen Nesty we cannot afford to pay him off
He needs a job offer from someone else
Robin
Why would another club take Yates?
Malabus
I don't usually speak out....but the club is going backwards.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Why would another club take Yates?
Most managers who get sacked get another job
Some managers get sacked every year or less and walk straight to another club.
Circa 1887
This is the sort of thing that makes me feel detached from the club. Player turnover is too high, and deals like this end up smacking of short sightedness.

I actually thought the kid looked decent, but Mark Yates doesn't know his strongest team or formation from one week to the next...16 games in to the season!
Oldun
Please not Marquis for rest of season. We want a goal scorer and he is not that.
CTFC03
I did want Marquis permanently but I'm not so sure now, there will be some player movement in January though.
London Exile
At least we're not doing short term loans this season!
Fuller
Circa 1887 wrote:This is the sort of thing that makes me feel detached from the club. Player turnover is too high, and deals like this end up smacking of short sightedness.

I actually thought the kid looked decent, but Mark Yates doesn't know his strongest team or formation from one week to the next...16 games in to the season!
Couldn't agree more, thought Mr Baker said less loans this year, that is four already this season and it is only 3 months into the season.
mattyboi
51/84 wrote:did he score any goals
Ummm bobbie Dale is a striker who scores and harry Williams is an attackng creative midfielder who also scores.
I-Love-CTFC
mattyboi wrote:
Ummm bobbie Dale is a striker who scores and harry Williams is an attackng creative midfielder who also scores.
There's a reason they haven't been near the first team this season. Eusebio was underused, another wasted loan. Marquis just picks up yellow cards for fun. People are comparing him to Jimmy Spencer but I personally think Jimmy Spencer is a better player than Marquis.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I-Love-CTFC wrote:
mattyboi wrote:
There's a reason they haven't been near the first team this season. Eusebio was underused, another wasted loan. Marquis just picks up yellow cards for fun. People are comparing him to Jimmy Spencer but I personally think Jimmy Spencer is a better player than Marquis.
Correct. Which is why Spencer is at a League One club and Marquis a League Two one.
everyman
Nesty wrote:what a farce -
At least 6 month loans only please allowing the loanee to settle into the team properly,this applies to our own youngsters,who are obviously not going to be getting any game time while Mr.Yates is under pressure to get some positive results.
Benctfc
Hope Marquis isn't going to start hope we go with a forward line of Gornell in the centre with De Vita and Sterling James playing out wide.
leohoenig
I-Love-CTFC wrote: Eusebio was underused, another wasted loan.
I must disagree with this - I think that Yates used Eusebio correctly. 244 minutes playing time over a 28 day loan. Having rested him for the Cambridge match, one cannot argue with starting the team that played there last Saturday - and then bringing him on as plan A did not work.

I do not know if we have been unlucky with the loans this season, or if we have not worked well with the loaning clubs. Three players, (Eusebio, Wynter and Arthur), all of whom I would like to have seen stay longer have been recalled. It seems to me that this trio, and our other loanee, Marquis have been the most exciting players to watch for Cheltenham this season. Whether or not they are value for money is something I cannot comment on - not knowing how the fees paid for the loans compares with the average wage at the club. I suspect we have done well financially on them - as we could not fit permanent players of their class into our wage structure. Sadly, Marquis has to leave some time this month, due to loan regulations. I for one would not complain if he returned.
horlickfanclub
If they are underused clubs recall them or if they improve clubs recall the,Better to develop your own.
CTFC_Forever
I-Love-CTFC wrote: There's a reason they haven't been near the first team this season. .
Yes, exactly......but what is that reason? Is it the reason that after one poor game by a team in pre season (Evesham) that they were all discarded and told to go and develop their games at the likes of Cirencester, Evesham and Cinderford? Or is it because they have been given ample opportunity to shine and show that they have the talent to succeed in the future?

My own view is that they will not develop or enhance their footballing skills at lower league clubs so these loans are not designed to develop them, just to give them some game time and see if they can deal with adult football. If you keep playing at lower level for too long that that becomes your level. The club has to be careful that they are not doing more harm than good by farming out these youngsters to these clubs. For one month, fine - not a problem, maybe to help out with injuries or suspensions in these teams. Two months, not ideal but once again some exceptional circumstances would need to be there. For three months, not if you value the player that you are sending.

There are people on this forum that keep on saying why give them contracts if they are not good enough? I would say why give them contracts if you are never going to give them the chance to succeed.

The club have to face the people of the forum tonight and they have a few hard questions to answer. So many short term loans when they were told we were going to use our own youngsters.

If you give them the chance then at least you can turn around and say great, they are at least trying to get them up to speed. I am glad that Eusebio has gone, this may free up a place for Kotwica and Co. As for Marquis, just calm down on the needless cards and he is a good example of a lad trying to play aggressively with the intensity that MY desires. The first years could look at that and learn. Then again, maybe the more senior pro's should take a first year under their wing each and guide them and help them get closer to the 18.

Incidentally, it has been great to get so many updates on how they are doing and what the plans are for them......... not bad form the club at all. At least they have JP in place to rectify that now.
Shade
Has anybody contemplated that Eusebio might come back after the FA Cup, so we can have him available for as many games as possible?

And I really haven't seen much from Marquis that would make me jump up and down if we signed him for the season. Yes he's got the effort but he's a yellow/red card waiting to happen and his goals are as rare as everybody else's. It's not like he's getting loads of assists either and he was rightly subbed on Saturday ahead of Gornell. Harrison then came on and had a bigger effect than Marquis had.
Robin
I would have Eusebio back in a shot from what I have seen, he was the one player capable of winning the Swindle game for us I felt.
theidlerich
Such a shame Eusebio is heading north [a breath of fresh air plus that rare commodity skill, we see so little of...]. Marquis a disappointment; seems to enjoy imparting "niggling fouls" and throws his toys out of the pram as often as possible. Neither creates or scores! - send back south.
I-Love-CTFC
It was Eusebio's decision to return to Wolves. I can't blame him, he came here to play football not sit on the bench.
Coops
That is not what Mark Yates said this evening at the fans' forum.
I-Love-CTFC
Coops wrote:That is not what Mark Yates said this evening at the fans' forum.
Coops wrote:That is not what Mark Yates said this evening at the fans' forum.
Jon Palmer said in the chat night it was Eusebio's decision mainly.
Si Robin
That's not what I read, I read the following:

Eusebio was different

he was same terms, but I felt that hard working side...

without the ball, couldn't understand what we wanted of him

with ball, fluent as you'd like

Wolves sent him out to see if he can step up, they appreciate him coming out - wasn't working for us