Chelmsford....City? United?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Oldun
Couple of questions re tomorrow's opposition! They used to be one of the big teams in the old Southern League late 50s and 60s (along with Weymouth, Yeovil, etc) Guaranteed to get 3000+ to watch games v Chelmsford (Were they United or City back then?)
Anyone remember us coming from 2-0 down to beat them 3-2? Was that when Dave Hudd was in his prime? anyone remember or have a way of getting in to the archive?
Also am I right in saying that Jimmy Greaves played against us for Chelmsford somewhere along the way?

Only those aged over 95 can possibly recall any of this!!!!!!!!
leohoenig
All your memories will be Chelmsford City, who were founded in 1938, after Chelmsford FC folded
Jimmy Greaves did play for them one season (76-7). We were in different divisions then. It is more likely he played against Cheltenham for Barnet where Greaves played the following season.
Nesty
Oldun..

I will work at getting the archive back asap, I think what has happened is that the website was deleted due to inactivity - which is a tad annoying - it is static information at the end of the day

I assume you were talking about a match at WR? if so I couldnt corroborate your memories - We played them regularly in the SLP from late 1959 - 1968/9

The last time we played them at WR was 96/97 winning 1-0 (Darren Wright)

The only time Hudd scored against them was 1968/69 joining Horlick and Collins in scoring in a 3-0 win.

Carthorse Ted Calland scored in the 1-1 draw in 1961/62

I concur with Leo that Mr Greaves never played against us for Chelmsford, but did infamously do for Barnet, touching the ball twice and scoring 2 goals, spending much of the game leaning on the goalpost begging for a drink!!
Red Duke
Watching the Robins against Chelmsford City is one of my earliest memories of watching football at Whaddon Road. I can remember their Goalkeeper (Tony Leiper?) barking at his players in a strong Scots accent. They were probably struggling to understand him.
Oldun
Thanks guys! The Greavsie memory was the wrong opposition! Don't quote me on the 0-2 to 3-2 match! Do remember though that they were a strong force in non league circles in those days and always was a good gate.
Hoping for 3000= tomorrow........Still we will make a packet if we win the Trophy!
Fuller
Well oldun I'm only 54 but remember the 68/69 game v Chelmsford, and greavsie playing for Barnet I saw both games home and away in 77/78, he was having a laugh with us behind the goal ! Great bloke.
Also 93/94 we beat Chelmsford 5 nil first game of the season at whaddon road if I recall.
Oh and nesty it would be great to get the results archive back up again as I enjoyed looking at that.
Expect about 1,800 there tomorrow.
everyman
Oldun wrote:Couple of questions re tomorrow's opposition! They used to be one of the big teams in the old Southern League late 50s and 60s (along with Weymouth, Yeovil, etc) Guaranteed to get 3000+ to watch games v Chelmsford (Were they United or City back then?)
Anyone remember us coming from 2-0 down to beat them 3-2? Was that when Dave Hudd was in his prime? anyone remember or have a way of getting in to the archive?
Also am I right in saying that Jimmy Greaves played against us for Chelmsford somewhere along the way?

Only those aged over 95 can possibly recall any of this!!!!!!!!
I seem to remember they had a star player(the George Best of non-league)Leggett i think it was.Hacker Green did a job on him ?
PaulGodfrey
Tomorrow's match will be the 63rd meeting between Cheltenham Town and Chelmsford City. Our full record to date reads: Played 62, Won 21, Drawn 16, Lost 25, Goals for 96 Goals against 108.

Chelmsford City were a strong side in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s but we are unbeaten against them in our last 11 meetings.

The game Oldun recalls may have been a match at Whaddon Road in January 1965 when we scored two goals in the last five minutes to draw 2-2 - Bobby McCool and Kevin Cornwell on target.

One of our occasional 'Robins Scrapbook' features will be in the programme tomorrow (unfortunately I don't have time to produce one every week at the moment)
Nesty
Fuller wrote:Well oldun I'm only 54 but remember the 68/69 game v Chelmsford, and greavsie playing for Barnet I saw both games home and away in 77/78, he was having a laugh with us behind the goal ! Great bloke.
Also 93/94 we beat Chelmsford 5 nil first game of the season at whaddon road if I recall.
Oh and nesty it would be great to get the results archive back up again as I enjoyed looking at that.
Expect about 1,800 there tomorrow.
watch this space
Si Robin
Was the last time we played them when Darren Wright scored a beauty of a lob from the edge of the area at the PRE?

I remember that goal vividly, but for the life of me can't remember who it was against?
Nesty
Si Robin wrote:Was the last time we played them when Darren Wright scored a beauty of a lob from the edge of the area at the PRE?

I remember that goal vividly, but for the life of me can't remember who it was against?
I mentioned this earlier in the thread - it was against Chelmsford
baggy89
This stuff should be in its own "silver or baldy surfers forum"...
Archive.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
Si Robin
Nesty wrote:
Si Robin wrote:Was the last time we played them when Darren Wright scored a beauty of a lob from the edge of the area at the PRE?

I mentioned this earlier in the thread - it was against Chelmsford
You mentioned that he scored the winner in our last game, just not if it was the particular goal I was talking about.
Nesty
The last time we played them at WR was 96/97 winning 1-0 (Darren Wright)

I too seem to remember it was quite a memorable goal - he was another player to always give 100%