Blackpool v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
All the build-up to tonight's game, team news, live updates and video reaction here: http://bit.ly/BlackpoolAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon Palmer
Match report here: http://bit.ly/Blackpool2CTFC1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
clear penalty turned down to avoid a penalty shootout ?
Artemis
Doubt it, no penalty shoot outs in the group stages - the match would have been declared a draw (if the penalty had been given and scored), one point each
Shade
Artemis wrote:Doubt it, no penalty shoot outs in the group stages - the match would have been declared a draw (if the penalty had been given and scored), one point each
There are most definitely penalty shoot outs in the group stages. There were about 3 or 4 last night. But you still only get a point each. I think it's in case they need head-to-head results if everyone ends with the same points, which is very possible given everyone only plays 3 games.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed. Only the EFL could have penalties in a group stage.

Interestingly, I believe a Yeovil player, Mugabi, was in the same situation as Storer, but played last and is still banned for the weekend.

I hope the knocks we picked up were not serious. If they were then participating in this tin pot really is a farce and disaster.
Shade
Paul Godfrey explained the Kyle Storer situation last night and, as simply as I can put it, he has been banned from all football until 8 first team matches have been played (so assume that extends to the reserve match next Tuesday as well), whereas other players have just been banned for a certain number of first team games. To be fair, Suarez also got a ban from all football activity until his last ban for biting was over. It's just a shame that the FA only just decided that this noddy tournament isn't classed as first team football.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Paul Godfrey explained the Kyle Storer situation last night and, as simply as I can put it, he has been banned from all football until 8 first team matches have been played, whereas other players have just been banned for a certain number of first team games. To be fair, Suarez also got a ban from all football activity until his last ban for biting was over. It's just a shame that the FA only just decided that this noddy tournament isn't classed as first team football.
Ah fair enough. Total football ban explains all!
robinsrule
Who was it who put in the weak challenge and basically passed the ball to their player to score the equalizer? Not sure I've seen a weaker challenge in professional football!
Shade
robinsrule wrote:Who was it who put in the weak challenge and basically passed the ball to their player to score the equalizer? Not sure I've seen a weaker challenge in professional football!
In the right back position? Jonny Smith.
DingDing
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:Paul Godfrey explained the Kyle Storer situation last night and, as simply as I can put it, he has been banned from all football until 8 first team matches have been played, whereas other players have just been banned for a certain number of first team games. To be fair, Suarez also got a ban from all football activity until his last ban for biting was over. It's just a shame that the FA only just decided that this noddy tournament isn't classed as first team football.
Ah fair enough. Total football ban explains all!
Maybe Paul can explain why Storer was playing in pre season then if that's the case?
PaulGodfrey
The answer is because there is no real structure around pre-season matches - they are effectively training sessions and even a banned player is allowed to train and keep fit.
Only in extreme cases would a player be charged with misconduct or given a suspension as a result of a pre-season match. This has only happened to us once - on a pre-season tour to Germany when Neil Grayson got into a heightened confrontation with the SVG Einbeck goalkeeper and was asked to leave the field by the 'scheidsrechter'. Three months later the paperwork found its way from the Deutscher Fußball-Bund to the FA and Grayson was given a three match ban.
plymrob
Simple. Trust in Paul's knowledge. Argue the toss about anything else, but we are where we are and we know one key person is on the case.
CHANGING TACK? Plymouth anyone? A win we are in the mix. A loss - its early days (and who cares as long as we keep in t6uch). Remember where we come from and where we are... Ooops... Said the wrong thing.