FGR in The Observer today

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... erformance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"At 3pm next Saturday the world’s first and only vegan football club will make sporting history when they play in the Football League for the first time. Forest Green Rovers, who were founded in the 19th century by a man named Peach, and play in green at the appropriately named New Lawn, take on Barnet – the Bees – in their first fixture in League Two. They will use their new status to spread the message of veganism around the sporting world."
The Old TomCat
And in yesterdays TIMES, FGR were awarded a whole double page spread.
They were also on BBC local news West, (which I know most in Cheltenham don't receive).
And on Friday's Radio 4 Breakfast programme plus a few others.

However most of the reports concentrate on FGR's eco credentials rather than the footballing side.
Great for the club though.
Lord Elpuz
All great publicity for young Mr Vince one might add, with FGR being his secondary plaything.

The vegan connotation is something of a misnomer, particularly when one recalls again the classic photograph of the FGR Players all huddled together outside Greggs following a training session, devouring bacon rolls. No, it is not a truly universally vegan club, it is perhaps more of a carefully cultivated Stalinistic culinary regime which exists purely for the purpose of exploiting the media for free publicity.

If the grapes did not appear so sour, one would definitely prefer to quaff them in a fine wine.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:All great publicity for young Mr Vince one might add, with FGR being his secondary plaything.

The vegan connotation is something of a misnomer, particularly when one recalls again the classic photograph of the FGR Players all huddled together outside Greggs following a training session, devouring bacon rolls. No, it is not a truly universally vegan club, it is perhaps more of a carefully cultivated Stalinistic culinary regime which exists purely for the purpose of exploiting the media for free publicity.

If the grapes did not appear so sour, one would definitely prefer to quaff them in a fine wine.
"Forest Green’s “vegan club” label is not what it seems. The players are not vegan, they simply have to eat plant-based meals at matches and training. No animal products are on sale at the stadium. “We don’t check up on them away from the club but we hear that players are changing their approach [to their diet], and it happens with fans too,” said Vince. “Just doing these things and talking about it has an effect on everybody – players, fans, even the media.”"
PaulGodfrey
Rod Liddle's column in the Sunday Times today:

"And how about April 14, 2018, to decide relegation between Cheltenham Town and the irritating vegan hippies of Forest Green Rovers? Hopefully it will be a draw and they'll both go down. It's a county for rugby, Gloucestershire."

Well, we're from Cheltenhamshire so let's prove him wrong - 7,000 promotion decider with a Robins Trust pig roast in the car park?
art vandalay
I think Rob Riddle must have been dumped at uni by a girl from Cheltenham. He does seem to have a good-sized chip on his shoulder.
everyman
art vandalay wrote:I think Rob Riddle must have been dumped at uni by a girl from Cheltenham. He does seem to have a good-sized chip on his shoulder.
Bet it was cooked in beef fat ?
The Old TomCat
art vandalay wrote:I think Rob Riddle must have been dumped at uni by a girl from Cheltenham. He does seem to have a good-sized chip on his shoulder.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Old TomCat
PaulGodfrey wrote:
Well, we're from Cheltenhamshire so let's prove him wrong - 7,000 promotion decider with a Robins Trust pig roast in the car park?
I'm sure both clubs and their fans would be happy should that happen.
Alf
He should be grateful that he wasn't christened Jimmy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
Bet it was cooked in beef fat ?
Yup, he wrote a column ages ago where he called Cheltenham a 'drug riddled outpost of the Midlands with pretence of being in the West Country'.

That was after the Robins had a bit of success. I think he resented his team (Millwall I think) ending up in the same division as us.

Just a pound shop Jeremy Clarkson as well as a bigot, as his court cases for abusing women will testify.
Reginald
The Old TomCat wrote:And in yesterdays TIMES, FGR were awarded a whole double page spread.
They were also on BBC local news West, (which I know most in Cheltenham don't receive).

However most of the reports concentrate on FGR's eco credentials rather than the footballing side.
Agree, good publicity for them, but let's be honest once the season gets underway, it's what happens on the pitch that matters.
Incidentally, anyone who gets their TV using Virgin Cable or Freesat or Sky gets BBC West as their regional news. So anyone can get it round here, and they always show our goals after games, and do preview stuff from time to time.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reginald wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:And in yesterdays TIMES, FGR were awarded a whole double page spread.

Agree, good publicity for them, but let's be honest once the season gets underway, it's what happens on the pitch that matters.
Incidentally, anyone who gets their TV using Virgin Cable or Freesat or Sky gets BBC West as their regional news. So anyone can get it round here, and they always show our goals after games, and do preview stuff from time to time.
A travesty that analogue Freeview users in Cheltenham have to receive Midlands Today and news of the latest gangland battles in Birmingham or Stoke-on-Trent whilst the rest get to see celebrations of the Bath and West Show, The Bristol Balloon Fiesta and general Gloucestershire life. Tantamount to cultural apartheid.
RubyRedRobin
The Old TomCat wrote:
PaulGodfrey wrote:
I'm sure both clubs and their fans would be happy should that happen.
FGR fans eat free with a picture post to FGR's twitter page with pig roast in hand?
Even if not that, a pig roast on the game vs FGR would be fantastic, surely it would generate quite a bit of publicity!
darreno
Is this relevant to us? And who cares anyway?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
darreno wrote:Is this relevant to us? And who cares anyway?
Not really.

Who knows.

Your point?
Shade
PaulGodfrey wrote:Rod Liddle
Who? Did he used to be someone? Or just someone that went to Uni, got some kind of degree and now thinks he knows what he's talking about? A glorified forum poster, if you will.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
PaulGodfrey wrote:Rod Liddle
Who? Did he used to be someone? Or just someone that went to Uni, got some kind of degree and now thinks he knows what he's talking about? A glorified forum poster, if you will.
A troll and a poor one. Would get rinsed on the RNF in other footy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:
Hahahahaha art many a true word said in jest. Met him some years back with a girl
On his arm - fresh out of bournside school! She was about 21 he about 51. Never found out if it ended well, hope for both of them it did

He didn't like me much somewhat of a political mis-match
Grammar boys would have had him.