Poll - Cheltenham's Best Manager - in Football League

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Cheltenham Town - Best Manager in Football League

Steve Cotterill
35%
Graham Allner
1%
Bobby Gould
1%
John Ward
20%
Keith Downing
1%
Martin Allen
4%
Mark Yates
5%
Gary Johnson
1%
Mike Duff
32%

Total votes: 84
Nesty
Choose any 3 from this List -
Hubert Parry
No Buckle or Milton?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting Duff is only third.

Maybe people are confusing ‘best’ with achievements or significance.

SC never managed us in L1.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:No Buckle or Milton?
Schofield brutally overlooked as well.
Shade
How are Allen or Johnson on the list :lol:

GJ possibly saved the club but when it comes to the football league he is way down the list. No surprise that the three leading by a mile are the three that got us promoted to League 1. And yes, I'm including MD in that. Yatesy came next closest to getting us up so no surprise he is equal next, but I'm amazed anyone has voted Gould, Allner and Allen ahead of Downing, after the great escape of '07.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:How are Allen or Johnson on the list :lol:

GJ possibly saved the club but when it comes to the football league he is way down the list. No surprise that the three leading by a mile are the three that got us promoted to League 1. And yes, I'm including MD in that. Yatesy came next closest to getting us up so no surprise he is equal next, but I'm amazed anyone has voted Gould, Allner and Allen ahead of Downing, after the great escape of '07.
Indeed. Downing did something only he and Ward had: kept us in L1. By default, Downing had achieved our second ever highest finish in the football pyramid. In terms of tactics etc I think he was less good than the three who are leading, however.

I am guessing someone or some people voted for Gould, Allner and Allen for a joke/troll.
Si Robin
Wasn't there that Cheltenham fan who lived in York who absolutely loved Allen?
nitram82
How on earth has Martin Allen got votes but not Keith Downing? Keith kept us in league 1 and did the double over Leeds, Martin Allen got his nob out in town and embarrassed the club!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
nitram82 wrote:How on earth has Martin Allen got votes but not Keith Downing? Keith kept us in league 1 and did the double over Leeds, Martin Allen got his nob out in town and embarrassed the club!
Probably to wind people up....seems to have worked.