Worst away trips in the Football League

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Following the cup draw it got me thinking what are the worst or least popular away days in the football league? For me it would be the following (not in order):
1. Gillingham - Long way to go, uncovered 'temporary' away stand, usually poor atmosphere, not a very nice place and the home side usually play a physical hoofball style. Only one pub near by from what I recall.
2. Bristol Rovers - Not too far but that away end is awful, even when we fill it there is little atmosphere and the locals are unwelcoming so generally not accepted into the pubs.
3. Stevenage - this one may seem harsh as they've improved the ground to be tidy if a little tiny but it's an awful cross country trip, there is generally little atmosphere and we always seem to lose there (last season being an exception).

I suspect the first two will feature heavilly for many but interested to see the results. Others I was thinking of but didn't quite make my list are Fleetwood and FGR.
Shade
Orient is up there for me. I'd imagine Luton from what I've heard and seen but I haven't been, myself.
longmover
Rotherham's old ground Millmoor and Doncaster's Belle Vue both like visiting Chernobyl after the accident.
Nesty
Robin wrote:Following the cup draw it got me thinking what are the worst or least popular away days in the football league? For me it would be the following (not in order):
1. Gillingham - Long way to go, uncovered 'temporary' away stand, usually poor atmosphere, not a very nice place and the home side usually play a physical hoofball style. Only one pub near by from what I recall.
2. Bristol Rovers - Not too far but that away end is awful, even when we fill it there is little atmosphere and the locals are unwelcoming so generally not accepted into the pubs.
3. Stevenage - this one may seem harsh as they've improved the ground to be tidy if a little tiny but it's an awful cross country trip, there is generally little atmosphere and we always seem to lose there (last season being an exception).

I suspect the first two will feature heavilly for many but interested to see the results. Others I was thinking of but didn't quite make my list are Fleetwood and FGR.
Stevenage is ab awful place to get to from here.
Robin
Shade wrote:Orient is up there for me. I'd imagine Luton from what I've heard and seen but I haven't been, myself.
I can't believe I missed Luton, that's definitely right up there for me. The whole experience is horrid, run down ground, in a horrid estate, no pubs or places to eat anywhere near by and locals very unwelcoming.

Orient isn't too bad, ground is pretty tidy especially at league two level and it's in a relatively nice area of East London.
Shade
"Relatively nice area of East London" is like saying Pyongyang is nice, in the spring :lol: but seriously, I had an awful time the one and only time I went there so it will always be amongst my worst places to go to. And I seem to remember the seating was wooden at the time.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don’t think the Gas is too bad. Was a decent enough atmosphere by the away fans last time I went there.

I agree with Gillingham. The only time I went the home fans had half of that open temporary stand and were chanting “BNP! BNP!” on frequent occasions during the game. And as you say, an architecturally barren settlement in the Medway swamp.

I cannot decide about Barrow. Ostensibly an awful place to get to and watch football, but because it was during our Champions season and I made a weekend of it the memories are all positive and enjoyable despite the lashing rain.

Similarly Newport…easy enough to get to (and escape from luckily) but being in the away end on the side but 10 yards further along the side than the goal line is a very unique and poor experience.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:"Relatively nice area of East London" is like saying Pyongyang is nice, in the spring :lol: but seriously, I had an awful time the one and only time I went there so it will always be amongst my worst places to go to. And I seem to remember the seating was wooden at the time.
One time I went to Orient I walked past an armed police raid. They had closed a side street and were ramming a front door with all the vehicles and armed guys standing by. Some sort of anti-terrosim thing I seem to remember. Stadium is quite nice once inside.
Si Robin
I've never felt the Bristol Rovers fans were unwelcoming either. In fact I've drunk in the bar at the ground and another couple of pubs in the streets around the ground with no issues, and actually had some decent conversations with their supporters.

Hull was a shite away day, and their fans were animals. This was in one of their first seasons in their new ground as well.

Ultimately, away days tend to be what you make them. Accrington when we lost 4-0 under Allen should have been a shite away day, on a cold coverless terrace, but the pub was fantastic and a good laugh was had by all. Burton in 2010 was turning into a shocking one and at 3:45 I wanted to be anywhere else - at 4:55 it had been one of the best away days ever as a fan.

My only trip to Millmoor was a fantastic occasion and their pies were outstanding.
Artemis
Oxford. 3/4 of a stadium right on the outskirts of Oxford, virtually inaccessible by public transport, parking horrendous and nowhere near anywhere to drink.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote: I can't believe I missed Luton, that's definitely right up there for me. The whole experience is horrid, run down ground, in a horrid estate, no pubs or places to eat anywhere near by and locals very unwelcoming.
I'm not having that. Turnstiles squeezed in between narrow terraces and then entering the stand up a stairway through someone's back garden. There's nothing else like it in the league The stand inside is awful if you sit down, but of you treat it like an old terrace it's ok and the roof is low so 100 of you can sound like a 1000.

Granted the locals are.....parochial. But it just adds to the general earthiness of the place.
Jerry St Clair
I'm going to nominate Wolves. Been to Molineux three times and been physically attacked twice. I don't generally like stereotyping an entire club's fans as awful, but for Wolves I make an exception. Apart from the assaults, I've been spat at, had coins thrown at me and told to "get out, this is a Wolves pub today". I know others who've had the same experience. If Cheltenham ever have the misfortune of playing there, I wouldn't go. it's probably the only league ground I would refuse to attend a game at.
asl
Artemis wrote:Oxford. 3/4 of a stadium right on the outskirts of Oxford, virtually inaccessible by public transport, parking horrendous
Parking is fine...it's leaving afterwards that's a fookin' nightmare...
Sprout Picker
I remember looking over the back of the stand at Gillingham some years back to see a bloke dragging a washing machine up the street - literally scraping it along the road leaving white paint on the tarmac. Summed the place up - what a s#!t-hole.
Anteros
asl wrote:
Artemis wrote:Oxford. 3/4 of a stadium right on the outskirts of Oxford, virtually inaccessible by public transport, parking horrendous
Parking is fine...it's leaving afterwards that's a fookin' nightmare...
Yeah the stadium is alright but no pubs near by apart from drinking at a bowling alley.
And leaving the stadium is a absolute nightmare with traffic
Ihearye
Crawley Town.
Mid week sub zero conditions and a dump of a ground
Robin
Si Robin wrote:I've never felt the Bristol Rovers fans were unwelcoming either. In fact I've drunk in the bar at the ground and another couple of pubs in the streets around the ground with no issues, and actually had some decent conversations with their supporters.

Hull was a shite away day, and their fans were animals. This was in one of their first seasons in their new ground as well.

Ultimately, away days tend to be what you make them. Accrington when we lost 4-0 under Allen should have been a shite away day, on a cold coverless terrace, but the pub was fantastic and a good laugh was had by all. Burton in 2010 was turning into a shocking one and at 3:45 I wanted to be anywhere else - at 4:55 it had been one of the best away days ever as a fan.

My only trip to Millmoor was a fantastic occasion and their pies were outstanding.
I went up to Boothferry park for the game under Cotts when we got hammered, found their fans to be a really decent bunch before and after the game. Had a few pints and were happy to talk football. Interesting the contrast in experience :D
Andrew GCAFC Fan
Had the pleasure of going to Luton Town when GCAFC played them away in the FA Trophy. The game was switched to a Friday night as there was a National front march or something on the Saturday. Can remember arriving at Luton on the Supporters coach, there were Police Officers on patrol. Made for a tense atmosphere.
Never been to a game here, but have been to Scunthorpe with work. As you approach, you can smell the iron ore. Isn't there nickname the irons? It seemed to be somewhere out towards nowhere. I think Grimsby is in that direction.
shevates
Gillingham wins this accolade without doubt, followed by Barrow and any other ground that cant provide covering for visiting supporters. Also make you eat veggie stuff and drink soya milk. Thought id throw that one in
Si Robin
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote: Never been to a game here, but have been to Scunthorpe with work. As you approach, you can smell the iron ore. Isn't there nickname the irons? It seemed to be somewhere out towards nowhere. I think Grimsby is in that direction.
West Ham are The Irons, Scunthorpe are the Iron - they're very particular about that.

One of the few grounds I've been to more than once - not the best away day either. Nearest pub is a decent trek away and also not the best either.

Thinking back, I have to say the worst away day for pure experience has to be Chester. Ground is right at the bottom of a trading estate and there are literally no pubs within a fair walking distance.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote: Never been to a game here, but have been to Scunthorpe with work. As you approach, you can smell the iron ore. Isn't there nickname the irons? It seemed to be somewhere out towards nowhere. I think Grimsby is in that direction.
West Ham are The Irons, Scunthorpe are the Iron - they're very particular about that.

One of the few grounds I've been to more than once - not the best away day either. Nearest pub is a decent trek away and also not the best either.

Thinking back, I have to say the worst away day for pure experience has to be Chester. Ground is right at the bottom of a trading estate and there are literally no pubs within a fair walking distance.
Lovely city though. We had a nice stroll along the historic Roman walls, had an early dinner surrounded by medieval architecture and then walked to the ground. A reasonable walk, but not was perfectly doable and wouldn’t put me off doing it again.
theidlerich
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Forest Green.....
Si Robin
I've been to FGR a few times, but not since they put away fans on the side.

Our first visit in 2015 was actually a pleasant night I thought - they put on a beer bus and food outside the away stand and the stand behind the goal was like being in the old C&G - certainly not the worst experience I've ever had.

I have heard awful talk of what it's like for away fans now though.
Jerry St Clair
Artemis wrote:Oxford. 3/4 of a stadium right on the outskirts of Oxford, virtually inaccessible by public transport, parking horrendous and nowhere near anywhere to drink.
I've been there on a bus from the station and it was actually very convenient.

Especially so now with the opening of Worcestershire Parkway station. You can get a train from Cheltenham Spa to Oxford in an hour now using the north Cotswold line. A few drinks in the excellent city centre pubs then bus to the ground. Not too bad at all.
longmover
I'd be interested to know how many times we have returned to these awful places?
Shade
It would seem that any club/ground that isn't in a major city is generally ok, unless they have a soulless new-ish stadium in the middle of nowhere. It seems that all of the worst places to go are city areas or, like Oxford, on a trading estate with nothing of note within walking distance.
theidlerich
Although attended very few away games I would rate FGR experience as the worst; with QPR ground pretty awful [ was that against Fulham?] and York soulless.
Artemis
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Artemis wrote:Oxford. 3/4 of a stadium right on the outskirts of Oxford, virtually inaccessible by public transport, parking horrendous and nowhere near anywhere to drink.

Especially so now with the opening of Worcestershire Parkway station. You can get a train from Cheltenham Spa to Oxford in an hour now using the north Cotswold line. A few drinks in the excellent city centre pubs then bus to the ground. Not too bad at all.
That's handy to know. Thanks Jerry
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:Although attended very few away games I would rate FGR experience as the worst; with QPR ground pretty awful [ was that against Fulham?] and York soulless.
Yes, QPR probably the worst ground in tube Zones 1-3.

CTFC haven’t really played at any proper city centre stadiums, not that there are any. SJP in Newcastle is right in the city centre.

Hillsborough probably the closest thing to that in a proper city.
Artemis
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
theidlerich wrote:Although attended very few away games I would rate FGR experience as the worst; with QPR ground pretty awful [ was that against Fulham?] and York soulless.
Yes, QPR probably the worst ground in tube Zones 1-3.

CTFC haven’t really played at any proper city centre stadiums, not that there are any. SJP in Newcastle is right in the city centre.

Hillsborough probably the closest thing to that in a proper city.
Hillsborough is quite a way from Sheffield centre. Bramall Lane on the other hand is quite close.

A couple of other examples:
Molineux, Wolverhampton centre.

Meadow Lane, Nottingham - close-ish

New Meadow Park, Gloucester :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
On the flip, I always think that if you are an away fan who comes straight to WR it must be an awful away day.

Yes if you park on town or Bath Rd/Suffolks, or arrive by train, and take in some of the country’s best streets and pubs it is one of the very best days out in the UK. But if you go straight to WR there is the Whaddon Rd chippy and balls all else and no obvious direction to walk in to find anything.
Robin
York is a lovely little city and good away trip for a weekend, the old ground though was totally run down, toilets were literally against a wall if I recall correctly.
Robin
theidlerich wrote:I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Forest Green.....
Yep another awful ground since they've put away fans on the side of the pitch. Despite it being a local derby the atmosphere is like a library too, very plastic soulless ground and fans.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
York is a lovely little city and good away trip for a weekend, the old ground though was totally run down, toilets were literally against a wall if I recall correctly.
Yeah. Last time we played there after a nice morning we had lunch in the shade of the Minster and after the game a nice meal in a quirky little restaurant down a cobbled lane we pre-booked. Looking forward to seeing the new ground if we ever play ‘em again.
Leckyfan
Artemis wrote:
Jerry St Clair wrote:

That's handy to know. Thanks Jerry
…but also a bit of an exaggeration on journey time.

Fastest journey from Cheltenham Spa to Oxford, changing at Worcestershire Parkway, appears to be 1 hour 29 minutes. Granted, that’s better than the ‘old route’ (via Swindon and Didcot) which is typically takes more like 2 hours.

If you start your journey from Worcestershire Parkway, then the early morning train does reach Oxford in exactly one hour, but all others take a few minutes longer.