Nigel Adkins

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Sacked.
Si Robin
Amazed he's lasted as long as he has.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Long overdue. Can’t wait for his bizarre pseudo-philosophy post-exit monologue interview.
Fuller
Just hope Bristol City don't sack Pearson, Duffo would be high on anyone's list surely.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:Just hope Bristol City don't sack Pearson, Duffo would be high on anyone's list surely.
I am sure he is but he is not going anywhere soon. He wants to see the job through at CTFC, that’s clear as day.
Jerry St Clair
Duff was asked about this at the Lit Fest event win Sunday. He said he wants to go as high as he can and knows what he wants to achieve as a manager. He also mentioned that he "married a Cheltenham girl" she went with him to Burnley which took her away from family and friends and he really appreciated that.

I suspect Duff will be VERY selective about his next job. Right club, right place, right ambition. I cannot see Charlton being attractive to him. Bristol City on the other hand.......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:Duff was asked about this at the Lit Fest event win Sunday. He said he wants to go as high as he can and knows what he wants to achieve as a manager. He also mentioned that he "married a Cheltenham girl" she went with him to Burnley which took her away from family and friends and he really appreciated that.

I suspect Duff will be VERY selective about his next job. Right club, right place, right ambition. I cannot see Charlton being attractive to him. Bristol City on the other hand.......
I’d have no qualms if Duff went to City in the summer. Be good to see them finally get to the Prem which would be close to certain if Duff was in charge. I fully believe he wants to get the job done with us this season. There is still one more club record to break this season and I am sure he wants to achieve that.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Fuller wrote:Just hope Bristol City don't sack Pearson, Duffo would be high on anyone's list surely.
I am sure he is but he is not going anywhere soon. He wants to see the job through at CTFC, that’s clear as day.
There is no loyalty in football and money talks...you should have known that by now.
Artemis
Jerry St Clair wrote:Duff was asked about this at the Lit Fest event win Sunday. He said he wants to go as high as he can and knows what he wants to achieve as a manager. He also mentioned that he "married a Cheltenham girl" she went with him to Burnley which took her away from family and friends and he really appreciated that.

Burnley, should they go down.
longmover
I think Duff is still a bit of an 'unkown' to bigger clubs and can't see him going to BIG championship club just yet, Barnsley, Blackpool or Hull maybe.

I should imagine Burnley is on the list but not just yet and I think they would need to be in the champ for a few seasons first.
Robin
Si Robin wrote:Amazed he's lasted as long as he has.

He did really well initially when he took over so likely had a lot of good will amongst the fans and board.
Robin
Artemis wrote:

Burnley, should they go down.
No doubt Duff wants that Burnley job but no chance they sack Dyche if they go down. Either he would need to be poached (unlikely at this moment) or he resigns which again I would say is unlikely. If they go down with the parachute payments and Dyche in charge they will come back up immediately.

Fully agree on the rest of the sentiment though, I have the impression he's happy here for now and willing to be selective over his job so clubs badly run or with issues (like Forest) won't get him but stable clubs with potential like say Huddersfield, Cardiff, Preston or Bristol City and their like would be a logical next step.
Si Robin
Robin wrote:
Si Robin wrote:Amazed he's lasted as long as he has.

He did really well initially when he took over so likely had a lot of good will amongst the fans and board.
He hasn't had any goodwill from the fans since about the end of August based on what I've read on social media and other forums.
Fuller
Mick McCarthy just sacked by Cardiff.
Another good fit for Duffo?
Shade
No chance in hell.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:Mick McCarthy just sacked by Cardiff.
A basket case club? Not at all likely.
Red Duke
Plenty more basket case clubs besides Cardiff in the Championship. Probably at least half of them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:
Plenty more basket case clubs besides Cardiff in the Championship. Probably at least half of them.
Indeed, which is why there are not many clubs which would be able to attract Duff.
asl
Unless he gets attracted by A Project (a la Tozer.)
Shade
asl wrote:Unless he gets attracted by A Project (a la Tozer.)
Just had a quick look how that An Project is going. Next season in the NL is how it is looking. But there's a long way to go, and a lot of play-off places to fight for.
Fuller
Former Robins boss Keith Downing has left the Bristol City coaching staff. Paul Simpson gone too.
Nigel Pearson will be next?
And if so, Duffo would be very high on my list if I was Steve Lansdown.
bigdavejambo
Fuller wrote:Former Robins boss Keith Downing has left the Bristol City coaching staff. Paul Simpson gone too.
Nigel Pearson will be next?
And if so, Duffo would be very high on my list if I was Steve Lansdown.
Bristol City seem to have PL ambitions and i cant see MD getting the job while people like Eddie Howe and Chris Wilder are available
Robin
Can't see Wilder going to Bristol City myself, surely will get offered bigger clubs than them. Eddie Howe would be an amazing choice if they could get him, he was in the running for the Newcastle job though so not sure it's realistic either.
Fuller
Rumours flying around yesterday at WR that Duffo IS on Cardiff City's radar .....
Robin
That would be a concern if true because I think he would go there if offered it. That said Mike Flynn is the red hot/odds on favourite according to their local paper: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... s-22022222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Morrison (care taker) and Jody Morris among the favourites too and Duff priced at 33-1 so if there is any substance you could make a killing at the bookies.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:Rumours flying around yesterday at WR that Duffo IS on Cardiff City's radar .....
Who cares if they are interested or not. He isn’t going anywhere this season, and certainly not that poorly run club.
Robin
If Duff left the obvious replacement would surely be Mike Flynn right at this moment although I do believe we'd give Wade Elliott a run as caretaker too.
Fuller
I reckon Wade would join Duffo too. Russ would stay at WR in some capacity.
But I do hope all three are still around until the end of the season at least.
Malabus
Scunthorpe bound?
Robin
Malabus wrote:Scunthorpe bound?

Surely not, would be the death knell of his managerial career.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
[quote="asl"]Unless he gets attracted by A Project (a la Tozer.)[/quote]

Two years left of the five year project at Old Trafford.

Can’t see Duff wanting to work for a basket case club though.