MK Dons v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this evening: https://bit.ly/MiltonKeynesDonsA
Shade
Only May up front. Hopefully Etete is just not fit enough to do 3 games in a week rather than properly injured.

The pitch looks a bit bare, bobbly and possibly muddy in places.
Shade
Am I watching a different match? Thought Colkett got wiped out and a free kick given against him?!
Shade
A quarter gone and ok so far. I'd like us to move the ball quicker but MK aren't moving it much quicker. Ramsey just isn't really offering anything. At the very least he needs to be stronger. Not overly impressed with the ref.

Aaaaand it's 1-0 to MK. Poor defending. Too much hesitancy to tackle.
HamTown
Ramsey was pretty half arsed in trying to stop that cross.

Agree shade he isn't offering enough
Shade
Well this is familiar, 2 goals in two minutes and Pollock completely done for pace.
HamTown
What a simple goal to concede from Eisa. Just a long ball straight down the middle
CTFCfan99
This happens way too often. And now we're set up for a 0-0 and will struggle to get back into it.
Shade
Add "never goes goal side, allowing opponents to progress easily towards our goal" to Ramsey's charge sheet.
HamTown
That wasn't as bad as the scoreline suggests

Despite Ramsey criticisms, Sercombe has been totally anonymous, Colkett seems to be getting more up to speed
Shade
My Ramsey criticisms are multi-game, not just tonight. I slagged Sercs off enough before he got dropped :lol:

Boyle has turned down a new contract, then. Can't say I'm overly disappointed given his performances since he's come back from injury.
CTFCfan99
Ramsey..got to get a shot in there.
Shade
I'm not saying a word...
HamTown
Shade wrote: 08 Mar 2022, 21:08 I'm not saying a word...
:lol:
Shade
I don't know why the boy Wright keeps ignoring Williams' runs into loads of space down the left
Shade
Great, isn't it, all this Cheltenham being patient on the ball, side to aide, forwards, backwards, side to side, repeat, and then just giving it away 2 minutes later ffs.
Shade
This is a frustrating watch. If we can somehow get one it feels like we can go on and get a second but someone has got to do something special for us to score. It just ain't happening tonight.
Shade
Just hope we don't end up throwing away ALL of the goal difference we made up on Saturday now...
Shade
Hoorah. We finally win a 50/50 in their half and end up scoring from it.
Shade
Oh well, a 3-1 defeat at MK is no surprise. Hopefully we are not too knackered to do Morecambe.
HamTown
That scoreline was very flattering to them

Colkett, Wright, Williams pick of the bunch
CTFCfan99
To be honest that was a pretty even game and if Ramsey had taken that chance who knows what would've happened. Not too disheartened after that.
Fuller
Shade wrote: 08 Mar 2022, 21:00 Boyle has turned down a new contract, then. Can't say I'm overly disappointed given his performances since he's come back from injury.
Boyle turned down a new contract in November and I heard that through the grapevine at the time. It was made public about a month ago though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Regulation defeat away at one of the best teams in the division.

Other results went our way on the whole.

Move on, regroup, focus on the matches in games against our half of the league.
Fuller
Wasn't over impressed with MK Dons and who knows if Ramsey hadn't fluffed that great chance we might have got a draw out of the game.
But some of our players looked knackered towards the end.
Hope to see Etete back for Saturday and Ramsey on the bench....
Warwickshire Robin
Well that was one of the more surreal football matches I have attended!

The stadium is magnificent but currently seems to be at least three times too big for the team that plays there, hence there was absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever and no chance of making one. So this made the whole thing feel like a preseason friendly or testimonial. Both teams seemed happy to play the ball around at the back which didn't help generate any excitement and closing down and tackling seemed like an optional extra. The only difference between the teams in the first half was the ease that MK got in behind our wing backs with long diagonals (like we used to do!) and in behind our back three with straight balls over the top, the Eisa goal being the prime example.

Second half the change of formation, maybe a few words from the Gaffer and MK seeming to ease off a bit meant we actually got on top without exactly bombarding their goal. I thought Colkett got better as it went on, Callum put himself about and Matty Blair did OK. Don't want to be too harsh on the kid but I don't see what Ramsey gives to the team at the moment. I know he's on loan with us to learn and probably costing a few quid but he has to justify a starting place like anyone else and he is just not doing that for me right now.

Overall 3-1 away at a team 3rd in the league and on a roll is no disgrace, its just we seemed to roll over and let it happen especially first half. If we had got at them a bit, played at a higher tempo and with more forward movement (we look so static at times) we could have caused them a few more problems as they didn't seem overly secure at the back when put under pressure.
longmover
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 08:34 Well that was one of the more surreal football matches I have attended!

The stadium is magnificent but currently seems to be at least three times too big for the team that plays there, hence there was absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever and no chance of making one. So this made the whole thing feel like a preseason friendly or testimonial. Both teams seemed happy to play the ball around at the back which didn't help generate any excitement and closing down and tackling seemed like an optional extra. The only difference between the teams in the first half was the ease that MK got in behind our wing backs with long diagonals (like we used to do!) and in behind our back three with straight balls over the top, the Eisa goal being the prime example.

Second half the change of formation, maybe a few words from the Gaffer and MK seeming to ease off a bit meant we actually got on top without exactly bombarding their goal. I thought Colkett got better as it went on, Callum put himself about and Matty Blair did OK. Don't want to be too harsh on the kid but I don't see what Ramsey gives to the team at the moment. I know he's on loan with us to learn and probably costing a few quid but he has to justify a starting place like anyone else and he is just not doing that for me right now.

Overall 3-1 away at a team 3rd in the league and on a roll is no disgrace, its just we seemed to roll over and let it happen especially first half. If we had got at them a bit, played at a higher tempo and with more forward movement (we look so static at times) we could have caused them a few more problems as they didn't seem overly secure at the back when put under pressure.
The sooner we get mathematically safe the sooner we can start sorting the squad for next season and its going to be very tough in 22/23 and there's players here (now) that aren't what we're going to need
robinsrule
I was there last night and it was a very strange and boring experience. The attendance was published at nearly 7,000 but there were not even 4,000 in the ground. Our away following was pathetic and spread out, plus we had absolutely nothing to cheer. One of our closest games and I was quite embarrassed by the lack of support in both numbers and volume. It seems that the petrol crisis only exists in Cheltenham.

As for the performance on the pitch, it was a fantastic display of passing it around 30 yards from goal then losing it. It took about an hour for us to win a tackle. When we finally played a long ball to our midget up front we were finally able to win a second ball from the knock down. I like passing football but it’s OK to mix it up a bit too. Wright is a frustrating player and his severe lack of pace will sadly stop him from ever making the step up from us.

Overall MK never had to break sweat but it was the lack of fight that disappointed me the most.
Fuller
robinsrule wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 14:00 I was there last night and it was a very strange and boring experience. The attendance was published at nearly 7,000 but there were not even 4,000 in the ground. Our away following was pathetic and spread out, plus we had absolutely nothing to cheer. One of our closest games and I was quite embarrassed by the lack of support in both numbers and volume. It seems that the petrol crisis only exists in Cheltenham.

As for the performance on the pitch, it was a fantastic display of passing it around 30 yards from goal then losing it. It took about an hour for us to win a tackle. When we finally played a long ball to our midget up front we were finally able to win a second ball from the knock down. I like passing football but it’s OK to mix it up a bit too. Wright is a frustrating player and his severe lack of pace will sadly stop him from ever making the step up from us.

Overall MK never had to break sweat but it was the lack of fight that disappointed me the most.
Well our manager was proud of his lads....https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... er-6774780
Shade
robinsrule wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 14:00 I was there last night and it was a very strange and boring experience. The attendance was published at nearly 7,000 but there were not even 4,000 in the ground. Our away following was pathetic and spread out, plus we had absolutely nothing to cheer. One of our closest games and I was quite embarrassed by the lack of support in both numbers and volume. It seems that the petrol crisis only exists in Cheltenham.

Wow, that is quite a lot of contradiction and vitriol for two paragraphs. Only 4000 in the ground but seems the petrol crisis only exists in Cheltenham? You want us to play it long sometimes and mix it up, but when we did our "midget" 10 goals in 8 games striker but he didn't win it (we rarely ever won any second balls...). I do agree that Wright won't make it at the top level but he will almost certainly be a Championship player. Pollock won't make it in the Prem either - my nan could outpace him, and she's been dead for 2 years. Speed is about all he is lacking, and it's not really something that can be improved upon.
robinsrule
Shade, I don’t think the home attendance had anything to do with petrol prices, that’s just their support. I haven’t seen an away figure yet but I was so bored that I counted most of them!

There are times when you are outclassed and dig in (Ipswich away) and times when you are outclassed, go a goal down and fight back (Ipswich at home). There are times when you just fold (Sunderland away). Last night was not really a lack of effort, it just wasn’t a good performance and we didn’t create a chance worthy of the name for an hour.

Alfie is a great player but he can’t do everything on his own - I was just pointing out that when we mixed it up a little in the last 20 mins at least we looked like we might create something.

I am not exclusively blaming Wright for our struggles in midfield but it was just a bit hard to watch us not get anywhere near them. They didn’t even have to play well to win - two goals from three shots in the first half - which makes it all the more frustrating.

I usually take something away from away games. A good day out at the very least, or a good atmosphere, or a period of dominance in the game. Last night I was just cold and bored. Sorry if others disagree with me.
Si Robin
275 away fans last night.

It's 32 less than our average away attendance in the League this season, but 44 more than we usually take away on a weeknight.

For what it's worth - our average Saturday away attendance is 352, weeknights is 231 and overall 307.
longmover

MK is a strange and boring place, their ground is far too big for them and if you dig around I'm sure there's a real reason why it was built soo big (rinse rinse rinse, wash wash). I should imagine trying to get any atmosphere in a 30k stadium when there's only 5k people in it dotted all over the place must be a impossible task.

I'm surprised 275 bothered in the first place, I wouldn't give the MK spivs any of my money.
Wellwisher
longmover wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 16:29 MK is a strange and boring place, their ground is far too big for them and if you dig around I'm sure there's a real reason why it was built soo big (rinse rinse rinse, wash wash).
I assume your "rinse/wash" comment suggests you know the real reason, but just in case not, a simplified, though not inaccurate, version is as follows:

ASDA wanted to open a big superstore somewhere in Milton Keynes, but couldn't get planning permission from the Council, since there were already plenty of other big supermarkets in the town.
So they asked: "What if we add a civic amenity, like a sports stadium, to the development?"
The Council was interested, but was concerned that it wouldn't be used.
At which point Greasy Pete Winkleman stuck his hand up and said: "Me, me, me, Sir, I've got a professional football club which I've not long moved to play at the hockey stadium up the road, I can do it!"
And so it came to pass...

Incidentally from Wiki: "Peter John Winkelman is the current chairman of English association football club Milton Keynes Dons, as well as managing director of the property development consortium Inter MK Ltd that was responsible for developing the Denbigh North district of Milton Keynes."
longmover wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 16:29 I'm surprised 275 bothered in the first place, I wouldn't give the MK spivs any of my money.
Though not a fanatical groundhopper, I'm gradually working my way round the PL and EFL football grounds (currently about 80?).

But I shall stop when I've completed The 91.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 15:12

Wow, that is quite a lot of contradiction and vitriol for two paragraphs. Only 4000 in the ground but seems the petrol crisis only exists in Cheltenham? You want us to play it long sometimes and mix it up, but when we did our "midget" 10 goals in 8 games striker but he didn't win it (we rarely ever won any second balls...). I do agree that Wright won't make it at the top level but he will almost certainly be a Championship player. Pollock won't make it in the Prem either - my nan could outpace him, and she's been dead for 2 years. Speed is about all he is lacking, and it's not really something that can be improved upon.
My question is how does he know there were only 4,000 in the ground when the attendance was given as 7,000.

It was a nothing game and expected boring defeat away at a team in third. If we were third and on great form it’s the type of boring midweek game where you turn up expecting three points, see it out as boringly as possible and then move on to more important games.

Same for us. Before the game Duff said if we were offered 0-0 we wouldn’t bother playing. It was a game neither team wanted to play and not getting injured or knackering the players was the most important thing for us.

Hopefully the players are not too tired and the sub/injured players are ready to come in and help us get three points in a more important game on the weekend.