Cheltenham Town v AFC Wimbledon

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/AFCWimbledonH
triggo
Utter shite
Look like a fecking pub team.
Ben version 4:0
Hmmmmmmmm

That was bad
HamTown
Not high on quality

Shame no Etete, think he'd have been dangerous
CTFCfan99
What an awful game so far, reminiscent of Crewe. Wimbledon are a shambles at the back though, won't take much to get back into it.
HamTown
Lol!

Wimbledon fans must be sick
Alf
Colkett should have started today. We’ve missed him in midfield.
Happy with the equaliser though.
Even more happy now we’ve got a second! Well done lads, now let’s hold onto this.
CTFCfan99
Jeez, hell of a collapse from Wimbledon there. Usually it's us that concede 2 or 3 in quick succession!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 16:59 Jeez, hell of a collapse from Wimbledon there. Usually it's us that concede 2 or 3 in quick succession!
That’s why they’re going down. Good riddance.
Nesty
Commentators critical of Evans, also rightfully having a go at the Boo Boys
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 17:19 Commentators critical of Evans, also rightfully having a go at the Boo Boys
Didn’t hear boo boys. Just normal fans frustrated with what must be the worst 60 mins seen at WR for some time.

That five min spell of possession without creation ultimately saw us get control of the game and build, but it was a hard watch until the goal.
Garby74
I was one of the boo boys.
Evans is a liability. He collects nothing and was at fault for first goal.
The team has no leaders and no fight.
It was men against boys. First half we won nothing in midfield and no second balls.

All the supporters wanted to see was positive football.

We were 1 nil down playing like we were 3 up.

Glad of the win ...evens out a few of the games we lost and when we deserved something.

Today we were very very lucky.

Well done Alfie May and George getting one first game back.
Alf
The so called ‘Boo Boys’ pay hard earned cash to get in and watch the game, the commentators are payed to get in. I think it was just frustration at the way we were playing. I was watching on iFollow and I found it frustrating before we made the changes. Have to say I didn’t boo though!
CTFCfan99
Alf wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 17:51 The so called ‘Boo Boys’ pay hard earned cash to get in and watch the game, the commentators are payed to get in. I think it was just frustration at the way we were playing. I was watching on iFollow and I found it frustrating before we made the changes. Have to say I didn’t boo though!
Nobody forces them to go, in my view you pay your money knowing we're inconsistent and there's every chance we'll have an off day.

I'd get it if we were in the relegation zone but come on, we've been really good on the whole for the last couple of months and they don't deserve that for one poor game.
Shade
George Lloyd turned that game. His fight and determination to keep and offload the ball for the first goal and being in the right place at the right time for the second. Then he ends the game doing a job at left back.

Also well done to Ramsey just before that first goal for listening to the fans rightful frustration at an absolutely insipid performance and actually receiving the ball and turning his man and pushing forward, which seemed to make a few realise that it was actually possible. I'm not one for booing and jeering your own team - normally - but something had to be done today as that was absolutely insipid. I can take nothing going right and having an off day but the intent was...well...there was none.
Shade
CTFCfan99 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 17:55
Alf wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 17:51 The so called ‘Boo Boys’ pay hard earned cash to get in and watch the game, the commentators are payed to get in. I think it was just frustration at the way we were playing. I was watching on iFollow and I found it frustrating before we made the changes. Have to say I didn’t boo though!
Nobody forces them to go, in my view you pay your money knowing we're inconsistent and there's every chance we'll have an off day.

I'd get it if we were in the relegation zone but come on, we've been really good on the whole for the last couple of months and they don't deserve that for one poor game.

It wasn't just that they had a poor game. A poor game is when nothing comes off. When the jeering started we looked like we couldnt be assed. Even Alfie was running back to half way and screaming at Evans to sort his head out and get a move on. The passing sideways and backwards and incredibly lethargic decision making was being jeered and it seemed to work as some of them bucked their ideas up very shortly afterwards and began looking forwards instead of the "easy" ball backwards.

Plus, Crewe was shite as well. Against a better team today we would have been absolutely hammered.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 18:03 George Lloyd turned that game. His fight and determination to keep and offload the ball for the first goal and being in the right place at the right time for the second. Then he ends the game doing a job at left back.

Also well done to Ramsey just before that first goal for listening to the fans rightful frustration at an absolutely insipid performance and actually receiving the ball and turning his man and pushing forward, which seemed to make a few realise that it was actually possible. I'm not one for booing and jeering your own team - normally - but something had to be done today as that was absolutely insipid. I can take nothing going right and having an off day but the intent was...well...there was none.
Some strong challenges from Ramsey too. Winning it and driving or passing forward. His drive and shot for the opener was what was missing.
Garby74
CTFC 99
No one forces me to go, I enjoy it win lose or draw.
What I refuse to accept is lack of effort. These are professional footballers.

My daughter is 12 years old and puts in more effort every game than I saw in the first 80 minutes today.

The minium requirement for every team is effort.

The reason the crowd were responded the way they did was plain to see today.
Garby74 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 17:45 I was one of the boo boys.
It was men against boys. First half we won nothing in midfield and no second balls.
I've just had a word with Ben3. He's quite outspoken at times but he says that you sir, Garby74, are a massive twat
Garby74 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 18:37 CTFC 99
No one forces me to go, I enjoy it win lose or draw.
What I refuse to accept is lack of effort. These are professional footballers.

My daughter is 12 years old and puts in more effort every game than I saw in the first 80 minutes today.

The minium requirement for every team is effort.

The reason the crowd were responded the way they did was plain to see today.
Ben3 rests his case
It was a poor performance for a team that is top half in League 1. The third tier. A poor performance, in the third tier, that we won at a canter.

God these are good times!!
Garby74
I look forward to Ben 10
Ihearye
After his performance today. If I was Boyle, I would be knocking on the manager's door on Monday asking if that contract was still on offer.
duckers
Garby74 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 17:45 I was one of the boo boys.

All the supporters wanted to see was positive football.

We were 1 nil down playing like we were 3 up.

Glad of the win ...evens out a few of the games we lost and when we deserved something.

Today we were very very lucky.

Well done Alfie May and George getting one first game back.
No leaders and no fight, really?

What about Raglan, Boyle, Blair, Long, Wright, May, the manager, coaching staff?

We’re one of the smallest clubs in the league and we are mid table, miles clear of the relegation zone, our target, and you’re going to boo because it’s of a perceived lack of effort and when were keeping a spell of possession to try and pull the opponent out of their shape. It ultimately helped us to get back into the game.

Things could be a lot worse as a Cheltenham supporter right now!
Joey
I can't help but think the "boo'ing" has been somewhat thrown out of proportion. It seems somewhat thin skinned that some slight boo'ing at what was a poor performance for the most part has become one of the main talking points of the game.

In comparison to other fans, for example Sheffield Wednesday at WR earlier this season, Cheltenham fans are far from the harshest towards the coaching staff and players. Yes, we are in an incredible position for a club like ours but that doesn't mean every minute of every game should be watched with rose tinted spectacles.
HamTown
At first I agreed with the commentators' comments about the booing being a disgrace but on reflection people pay alot of money for some entertainment and the players needed a kick up the arse
Benctfc
I can see it from both sides. I didn't agree with the booing but at the same time was frustrated given the lack or urgency at times. In truth it felt for most of the game a team who know they are safe and didn't have the intent and feel the importance of 3 points. Agree that Lloyd and Ramsey and the energy they provided changed the game.
Warwickshire Robin
Have to admit I was disappointed with the booing but I think it was purely frustration at the fact we hadn't had a shot on target (that I can remember anyway) after 80 minutes against a struggling team.

We just don't seem to cope well with teams who are physical. Like Crewe we barely won a 50/50 or a second ball for the majority of that game. Also it seems our first half performances of late have all been poor. Each week recently it seems the manager says we were too passive in the first half. We need to get on the front foot sooner.

However, all the subs came on and made an impact. Not been too impressed with Ramsey so far but thought he did well today running at people and giving the Wimbledon defence something to worry about. Without Etete (or Nlundulu) we lack presence and pace upfront but was great to see Lloydy back and scoring. Would like to see Colkett back next season too as he looks a decent player.

They say playing badly and winning is the sign of a good team so we need to start believing in ourselves a bit more, we are actually quite a good team, our League position shows that!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Shade
I didn't boo, and I have only ever booed CTFC once (after a 3-0 home defeat against Barnsley the first time we were at this level) but I completely understand and have no issue with the boos today. We ended up winning. Duff said it was poor. May was shouting at Evans and the defence for being so slow, hesitant and negative. Football fans are emotional, and I feel they had every right to boo what we were seeing. I saw it as constructive criticism, to be honest.
Si Robin
I think the booing has been blown out of proportion. Listening to Duffo's interview on the way home, he seemed to think the booing was because we expect to roll over teams like Wimbledon.

That clearly wasn't the case, the booing was because of the lack of urgency when we were 1-0 down with 20 mins to go. Now Duffo has come out and stated that the idea was to gain possession and try and pull the Wimbledon team all over and out of position. I don't agree with that at all to be honest. They were 1-0 up and more than happy to let Evans, Raglan and Boyle pass the ball around themselves and sit in their own half.

All in all, it was a shite performance and we got away with one yesterday. The fact we can play poorly and still come away with a result like yesterday's shows how far this team has come - and arguably just how fragile Wimbledon's confidence was.
triggo
Yes I thought that was a bit rich having a pop at Evans.
Maybe its give a dog a bad name.
Fans favourite Callum Wright had an absolute mare for the first eighty mins. No mention of that.
Same for Sercombe Williams and yes , Alfie May.
Couldnt put two passes together between them .
Evans was exposed on three occasions by the centre backs and gets slated.
Come on !!!
Bit more balance please !!!!
Horteng
Really pleased for Lloyd. He got a big chance now in the remaining games to prove a point
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
triggo wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 08:31 Yes I thought that was a bit rich having a pop at Evans.
Fans favourite Callum Wright had an absolute mare for the first eighty mins. No mention of that.
Come on !!!
Yes, hard to blame the keeper when hopeful long balls split our centre backs and leave them floundering. Every. Single. Time.
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
triggo wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 08:31 Yes I thought that was a bit rich having a pop at Evans.
Come on !!!
Yes, hard to blame the keeper when hopeful long balls split our centre backs and leave them floundering. Every. Single. Time.
Yes I thought it harsh as well. We get caught out too often with long straight balls which isn't Owens fault. I did feel he could have come out quicker at the game but seeing it later I dont think he could have done much different.

Owen is a solid keeper, good shot stopper, ok at coming for crosses, maybe a bit slow on his distribution at times but I think that is as much to do with lack of movement or options to pass to rather than indecision.

Hopefully he will continue to improve with experience and prove to be a good reliable keeper for us for a long time.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Si Robin
I agree, saw the Wimbledon goal last night and there was nothing Evans did wrong.

He's an easy target though.