Accrington Stanley v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Alf
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 15:17
Shade wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 14:57
HamTown wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 14:54

Agreed. Can give him a bit of blame for both goals
Sadly seems to be becoming more of a trend. What the hell he was doing earlier going for a ball that Boyle was challenging his man for, leaving a man completely free where he should have been, God knows, and he appears quite slow to read the game sometimes. Plus the two goals that he could have done better for.
Sounds like poor communication, so partly due to Boyle too.

Speaking of whom, in some games the issue has been that Freestone has had to worry about covering for Boyle missing the ball or being outpaced as much as he has the opposition. Williams can deal with that because of his pace but as Freestone is slower I am sure it impacts on where he stands and runs.

The same way Williams makes Boyle look L1 level, replacing Boyle with a faster and more consistent CB would help Freestone be more comfortable.
Freestone doesn’t seem to be aware of what’s happening around him. He follows fellow defenders across the area leaving space for opponents to stroll in. Not just todays game, it’s happened on more than one occasion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 15:23

Sadly seems to be becoming more of a trend. What the hell he was doing earlier going for a ball that Boyle was challenging his man for, leaving a man completely free where he should have been, God knows, and he appears quite slow to read the game sometimes. Plus the two goals that he could have done better for.
Boyle and his man were in front of Freestone, Freestone inexplicably ran to them and still lost the ball which ran out where he should have been. The other instances were nothing to do with Boyle. One was a poor header in the area that hit Lloyd and the other he was just in the wrong position and didn't react quickly enough.
Yes you will see the rest of my post talked about “some games” and wasn’t a comment on this one.

The situation you describe though is kind of what I was getting at. If Freestone thinks Boyle has lost it, or is about to miss the ball, or be turned he may make a split second decision to rush forward to try and deal with the threat at source.

Not making sure excuses or trying to take blame away from Lewis, but the defence works as a unit. It is rare that only one individual is at fault entirely, and instead it is a culmination of lots of little errors, or uncertainty, or lack of cohesion across the unit that ends up in one player doing something rash or being exposed.
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 15:21 Take the lead away from home and then completely fall apart seems to be our way. It's a shambles, doesn't seem to be any real structure to the team.
See above posts about defence. As soon as a home side comes at us, or man marks/press our back three they can’t cope.

Raglan in the back three next season will be fine but we need two L1 standard players alongside him.

The dilemma with Pollock is that his pace and mobility is barely any better than Boyle’s.
I'm not saying Raglan has been playing particularly badly but Matty has been better. Raglan definitely plays as one of the three next season but i don't see him playing the centre, not comfortable enough on the ball for me, but happy to see him on the right.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Shade
We dont need pace at the back, we are basically stuck in our own back third anyway.

This is dross.

Knew we would score as soon as I said that. 2 goals from absolutely nothing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 15:28

Speaking of whom, in some games the issue has been that Freestone has had to worry about covering for Boyle missing the ball or being outpaced as much as he has the opposition. Williams can deal with that because of his pace but as Freestone is slower I am sure it impacts on where he stands and runs.

The same way Williams makes Boyle look L1 level, replacing Boyle with a faster and more consistent CB would help Freestone be more comfortable.
Freestone doesn’t seem to be aware of what’s happening around him. He follows fellow defenders across the area leaving space for opponents to stroll in. Not just todays game, it’s happened on more than one occasion.
What’s to say that the defenders he follows haven’t gone too far across themselves so he follows to stop the gap being too big. No doubt if he didn’t follow and someone popped up in the space to score then Lewis would be criticised for not following and leaving a gap.

See my post just above this one - defensive errors are more often a sign of a poorly functioning unit rather than all being the fault of one individual.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 15:32 We dont need pace at the back, we are basically stuck in our own back third anyway.

This is dross.

Knew we would score as soon as I said that. 2 goals from absolutely nothing.
We do need pace at the back because game after game the back three are out paced despite having a five yard head start. Whether down the channels, straight balls over the top, getting to loose balls first out defence is far too slow.
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Alf wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 15:28
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 15:17 Sounds like poor communication, so partly due to Boyle too.

What’s to say that the defenders he follows haven’t gone too far across themselves so he follows to stop the gap being too big. No doubt if he didn’t follow and someone popped up in the space to score then Lewis would be criticised for not following and leaving a gap.

See my post just above this one - defensive errors are more often a sign of a poorly functioning unit rather than all being the fault of one individual.
Very true. Also Lewis is really a centre back by trade not a wing back so probably will be drawn into the middle when should be staying wider.

HamTown
Think getting Blair more involved would get us on the front foot
Shade
Lost count of the number of times Accy have had a man or two free in our area.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 15:39 Lost count of the number of times Accy have had a man or two free in our area.
Because we are so immobile at the back and have no cohesion.

Still, we’re safe. We scored the goals to get (hopefully) our highest ever finish and Duff has the summer to get the defence in shape.
CTFCfan99
This referee is a joke
Horteng
Im afraid some of the lads are already on the beach for their summer holidays
CTFCfan99
The f#!$ was that.
Shade
Well that jist sums it up. Alfie caught on the ball all too easily, our midfield and defence nowhere, and an own goal only beaten by Jombati's in terms of how bad it was.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
How many times have we scored three away from home now?
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:How many times have we scored three away from home now?
Amazing isnt it?! I thought at the start of the season scoring would be the problem not stopping them!

Shade
How have we scored three? And yet we should have had four. This has to be the poorest performance that we have scored 3 in. Apart from maybe Wimbledon a couple of weeks ago...

Absolutely f#!$ mental. 4-4 and we have been c!#p for 80% of the game.
CTFCfan99
What on earth...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Beach football at it’s best from both teams.
Broadway Brian
Love football. Love this team.
Warwickshire Robin
Well we can say what we like about the quality but you can't question their heart!

Last edited by Warwickshire Robin on 02 Apr 2022, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Broadway Brian
The battle for twelfth lived up to its star billing…
HamTown
Bizarre to get a point
Shade
Crazy to say we have just drawn 4-4 away from home and I only really enjoyed two moments of it, going 1 up and the injury time equaliser.
CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 16:06 Crazy to say we have just drawn 4-4 away from home and I only really enjoyed two moments of it, going 1 up and the injury time equaliser.
Exactly how I feel :lol:
Alf
CTFCfan99 wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 16:31
Shade wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 16:06 Crazy to say we have just drawn 4-4 away from home and I only really enjoyed two moments of it, going 1 up and the injury time equaliser.
F****** typical. I’ve been watching the Robins on iFollow, abroad, for well over three years and have never ever turned off a game in frustration. I’m ashamed to say, I did that today when their fourth went in and I missed what was obviously a grandstand finish. Serves me bloody well right for not having the faith. As an act of self atonement, I opened a bottle of red! Well done to Michael and the lads for fighting back for a point!
Red Duke
Back from the game. One of most bizarre games I have ever seen. We looked good for most of the first half and then we just fell apart. There were several times that it was like watching head tennis with little football being played.

For the first 20 minutes of the second half, we were hardly in the Accrington half. The goal from Boyle was from the first attack we had. Passes continuing to go astray, Accrington getting on top and playing at a higher tempo.

The last 10 minutes were really bizarre, Accrington go 4-2 up and a great save from Evans stops it being 5-2. Pull one back, a sending off (Player was very unhappy about it), Boyle goes up front and unbelievably we equalise.

Definitely in the category of nicking a point.
Shade
Alf wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 17:45
CTFCfan99 wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 16:31
F****** typical. I’ve been watching the Robins on iFollow, abroad, for well over three years and have never ever turned off a game in frustration. I’m ashamed to say, I did that today when their fourth went in and I missed what was obviously a grandstand finish. Serves me bloody well right for not having the faith. As an act of self atonement, I opened a bottle of red! Well done to Michael and the lads for fighting back for a point!
:lol: you never "leave" a game early :lol:

With today's goals we have now scored 60, one less than we did when winning the L2 title last season, with 5 games still to go. We have also now conceded 7 less than DOUBLE the number we did last season (71 so far, 39 last season).
Shade
Something else I just realised, the three automatically promoted teams from L2 are sat in 11th, 12th and 13th. Make of that what you will.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 21:35 Something else I just realised, the three automatically promoted teams from L2 are sat in 11th, 12th and 13th. Make of that what you will.
That it proves Morecambe going up was a fluke?
horlickfanclub
We were playing the biggest team in the Division, Pollock should have started. Only one of Long/Blair should have played. Freestone is not a wingback.
The Wright,Bonds,Ramsay midfield has not worked but is tried again and again.
Is it surprising we keep turning in bizarre performances? Tactics have failed.
Ben version 4:0
horlickfanclub wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 10:18 We were playing the biggest team in the Division, Pollock should have started. Only one of Long/Blair should have played. Freestone is not a wingback.
Top half of league one you clown :lol:
little mo
horlickfanclub wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 10:18 We were playing the biggest team in the Division, Pollock should have started. Only one of Long/Blair should have played. Freestone is not a wingback.
As i have said before,you really do not like Duffo do you. Why?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 11:03
As i have said before,you really do not like Duffo do you. Why?
Because Duff talks about shapes, phases and numbers which is too intellectual and modern for Horlick. Or some random grudge.

Either way, the rest of us know that this is shaping up to be the highest finish in the Club’s history and that Duff is looking like being the best manager we have ever had.
Malabus