Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CTFCfan99
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 14:53
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 14:22 Revert to three at the back.

Freestone and Pollock on for Boyle and Ramsey please.
Make this change at HT.
I'd keep Boyle on but only so we can make more changes in midfield - Sercombe for Chapman and Bonds for Colkett. Feels like another one of those weird games where if we get one we could get a few. We've had a couple of promising moments especially through Etete.
Shade
Definitely. If we can get one without conceding again there is every chance we could witness yet another crazy comeback. This would possibly be the craziest. It doesn't feel like that is going to happen, but then I never gave us a hope at Accrington.
Shade
Yet another ridiculous mess of a goal kick gifting Lincoln a chance. Absolute madness.
CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 15:11 Definitely. If we can get one without conceding again there is every chance we could witness yet another crazy comeback. This would possibly be the craziest. It doesn't feel like that is going to happen, but then I never gave us a hope at Accrington.
Doesn't look at all likely any more. It's like we're settling for the 3-0.
Shade
Not that anyone is playing well, but Colkett is having a pretty abysmal game as well. Permanently on his heels. The way some of the lads are passing or not controlling the ball it looks like the journey to Lincoln took 10 hours and they only got off the coach just before the match.
Shade
CTFCfan99 wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 15:21
Shade wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 15:11 Definitely. If we can get one without conceding again there is every chance we could witness yet another crazy comeback. This would possibly be the craziest. It doesn't feel like that is going to happen, but then I never gave us a hope at Accrington.
Doesn't look at all likely any more. It's like we're settling for the 3-0.
Nope. Etete not scoring that was the last chance, I'd think.
CTFCfan99
Why do they keep f#!$ leaving it for each other. Amateurs
Shade
Get Colkett off ffs. Absolutely nowhere near good enough today.
Shade
CTFCfan99 wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 15:30 Why do they keep f#!$ leaving it for each other. Amateurs
The hesitancy is unreal. Always seem to think someone else will do the job or is in a better position.
HamTown
Shade wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 15:30 Get Colkett off ffs. Absolutely nowhere near good enough today.
Looks pretty rusty, if this was his chance to earn a contract he'd have been better staying on the coach today
Shade
Hoobloodyray. Colkett off.
Shade
Anyone think Hutchinson is good enough back up for Ben Williams? I don't think he is, personally. League 2 player at best from what I have seen over the last couple of months.
HamTown
Shade wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 15:37 Anyone think Hutchinson is good enough back up for Ben Williams? I don't think he is, personally. League 2 player at best from what I have seen over the last couple of months.
With our budget maybe that is good enough. I've thought the same about Freestone
CTFCfan99
Games like this make me really worry about next season when we're losing the likes of Wright and Etete. Recruitment needs to be spot on because we have zero depth to the squad.
Shade
Not if Williams is going to be injured or suspended as often as he has been so far.

Duff wanted Williams as competition for Hussey, so surely we can afford someone better.
Shade
CTFCfan99 wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 15:42 Games like this make me really worry about next season when we're losing the likes of Wright and Etete. Recruitment needs to be spot on because we have zero depth to the squad.
You're not alone. I don't want to be sensationalist and I'm not dreading it or anything like that before we see what is done over the summer, but I think there will be significant changes in all departments of the pitch and there is always danger when a squad changes like that. Sercombe, Boyle, Wright, Etete, Flinders, Thomas and possibly May, if someone were to offer enough, is A LOT of first teamers to replace in one go. OK, Flinders isn't first team now but he has a lot of experience.
CTFCfan99
Struggle to rate anyone more than about 2/10 for that game. Etete and Bonds probably the only two who had any sort of positive impact, and even Etete fluffed a sitter.
Robin
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 14:40
Shade wrote:How is Ramsey a Villa prospect. It's been said before bit he offers nothing (cue a goal from him)
I think he's just one of those whose game doesn't suit our style of play at all. His movement is very good but we dont have the players who give it to him quick enough or players who move quick enough for him to pass too. You will probably find that Championship level will suit his game more than league 1

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
:o :o :o We are hardly a kick it and lump it team, in fact we largely play the ball to feet. The problem with Ramsay is that he cannot beat a man or pick at pass at this level so he often just loses the ball. Not to mention he cannot win many tackles. You can have all the movement in the world but when you cannot do the basics it's worthless.

I'd be amazed if he's not back at this level on loan next season after bulking up a bit in the summer. We've got a lot of transfers right in recent years but the two recent ones from Villa have been well below par.
Robin
Shade wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 15:37 Anyone think Hutchinson is good enough back up for Ben Williams? I don't think he is, personally. League 2 player at best from what I have seen over the last couple of months.
He's probably better than Freestone but not sure you'd want to see either of them playing regularly at this level unless they improve.
Warwickshire Robin
Robin wrote:
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 14:40
Shade wrote:How is Ramsey a Villa prospect. It's been said before bit he offers nothing (cue a goal from him)
I think he's just one of those whose game doesn't suit our style of play at all. His movement is very good but we dont have the players who give it to him quick enough or players who move quick enough for him to pass too. You will probably find that Championship level will suit his game more than league 1

:o :o :o We are hardly a kick it and lump it team, in fact we largely play the ball to feet. The problem with Ramsay is that he cannot beat a man or pick at pass at this level so he often just loses the ball. Not to mention he cannot win many tackles. You can have all the movement in the world but when you cannot do the basics it's worthless.

I'd be amazed if he's not back at this level on loan next season after bulking up a bit in the summer. We've got a lot of transfers right in recent years but the two recent ones from Villa have been well below par.
I'm not saying we are a kick and lump it team by any means, I'm just saying that he is probably used to a different style of play coming from an Academy and is struggling to adapt to the extra hustle and bustle of League 1. Some adjust quickly and some like Ramsey don't.

I'm personally not a fan and wouldn't be playing him as he hasnt done enough to warrant a place in my view, but as i said earlier its the gamble you make taking these Prem youngsters on loan and if we dont play them then the reputation for developing players goes and teams would be less likely to loan us the likes of Greaves, Wright, Etete etc.

Nesty
It really depends on how many go, we know that Wright , Etete , and Pollock will be going - and the contracts of Flinders, Harris, Boyle, Hutchinson, Thomas, Sercombe, Chapman, Colkett, Barkers, and A Williams are up at the end of the season, but we can only speculate on which of these will be kept or released and/or turn down new contracts.
If all of the above list go it does indeed leave the squad looking thread bare. In Duff we trust.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hutch and Lewis are still improving. A pre-season with Duff and they will be good enough matchday squad players. Freestone may start depending who we sign. Really we need to sign 2 or 3 mobile centre backs.

The Boy might be irreplaceable but the other loans will be easy enough to replace.

Duff and Moore will already have their wish list for loans and/or permanents, and if anyone can spot and coach the quality we need it is them.

The more pressing concern is whether the Board can give them the budget they want to secure first choices on the list.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 18:06 Hutch and Lewis are still improving. A pre-season with Duff and they will be good enough matchday squad players. Freestone may start depending who we sign. Really we need to sign 2 or 3 mobile centre backs.

The Boy might be irreplaceable but the other loans will be easy enough to replace.

Duff and Moore will already have their wish list for loans and/or permanents, and if anyone can spot and coach the quality we need it is them.

The more pressing concern is whether the Board can give them the budget they want to secure first choices on the list.
Pompey are looking to sign Wright this summer apparently, had scouts at a number of our games to watch him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 14:55
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 14:40 I think he's just one of those whose game doesn't suit our style of play at all. His movement is very good but we dont have the players who give it to him quick enough or players who move quick enough for him to pass too. You will probably find that Championship level will suit his game more than league 1

Wright manages to get the ball in space and play balls to others who get in to dangerous spaces.

Ramsey should have at least made the keeper work on Friday to finish that good team move but took too many touches and let a defender block.
Totally agree but Callum has got nearly 3 years more experience than Ramsey who only turned 19 in January. As i said previously just dont think Ramsey is ready for League 1 at the moment.

Funny I find myself defending him here as I have the same frustration as everyone else but just trying to put a case for him!

Yes, I wasn’t wanting to criticise Ramsey and your point about Wright’s age is a good one.

Ramsey has shown some very good desire, skill and movement in some games and made an impact off the bench with positive forward play.

Most notably against Wimbledon where he came on and looked to get forward, with his run and shot rebounding for Wright to score. He was also part of the move for the second goal.

Duff has given him a decent amount of time and there must be a reason why.
Mark Corrigan
Awful performance but they happen. We're currently a mid table league 1 side. For every game like this there's games like beating Charlton and Sunderland.

Have to say I thought some of our support were absolutely shocking today. Constantly berating the players. Booing off Chapman. Chanting "F***ing useless" towards the end. We've just achieved our highest ever League 1 points total. Perspective is needed.
longmover
Robin wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 19:25
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 18:06 Hutch and Lewis are still improving. A pre-season with Duff and they will be good enough matchday squad players. Freestone may start depending who we sign. Really we need to sign 2 or 3 mobile centre backs.

Pompey are looking to sign Wright this summer apparently, had scouts at a number of our games to watch him.
How depressing that he would want (not saying he will) to go to Fratton Park and be clumsily managed by the Cowley Clowns, utter frauds the pair of them.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 18:06 The more pressing concern is whether the Board can give them the budget they want to secure first choices on the list.
This^^ money must be made available if we are to bulk up the squad with enough quality to stick around in this league.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mark Corrigan wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 08:36 Awful performance but they happen. We're currently a mid table league 1 side. For every game like this there's games like beating Charlton and Sunderland.

Have to say I thought some of our support were absolutely shocking today. Constantly berating the players. Booing off Chapman. Chanting "F***ing useless" towards the end. We've just achieved our highest ever League 1 points total. Perspective is needed.
That’s sad to hear and makes you question what these so-called fans expect.

A few years ago I rounded up a group of friends who don’t usually go to games to join me at an away game.

They vowed never to go to a game again, not because we lost but because of the other ‘fans’ abusing the team and booing and singing “f*cking useless” as you describe.

Not only does such moronic behaviour impact negatively on the players, it also puts normal fans off attending.

It is what you expect from a club on a downward spiral where the fans are not united and are disconnected from the manager, players and owners/Board.

But we are at the greatest moment in the Club’s history in the highest ever position with some of the best ever players. The Board, manager, dressing room and fans have until now been in a good place with a good relationship.

If ‘fans’ are going to boo and abuse like that then we have to ask: why do they bother watching and why should the team bother trying?

What’s the incentive for Duff to sign a new contract or players like Wright to return to us if their reward for the most successful season ever is being booed and having “f*cking useless” chanted at them.

Maybe these ‘fans’ should take a few weeks off and let normal fans enjoy the end of the season.
Robin
longmover wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 09:17
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 18:06 The more pressing concern is whether the Board can give them the budget they want to secure first choices on the list.
This^^ money must be made available if we are to bulk up the squad with enough quality to stick around in this league.
I do wonder how Accy seem to be fine and maintain a higher budget than us with home crowds roughly 1500 lower than us and with cheaper ticket prices too :lol:
longmover
Robin wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 12:00
longmover wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 09:17
I do wonder how Accy seem to be fine and maintain a higher budget than us with home crowds roughly 1500 lower than us and with cheaper ticket prices too :lol:
North West location is perfect for a wealth of players that don't make it to the big time or have made it but want to still play at a lower level, no relocation costs, I should imagine Accy have some other source of funds as well as their crowds wouldn't fund much in league two never mind league one.