Cheltenham Town v Bolton Wanderers

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/BoltonWanderersH
Nesty
Flinders one of 6 changes

How many of todays team are playing their last (home) games for us ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 13:41 Flinders one of 6 changes

Certainly looks like a farewell game for Flinders and Sercombe.
Nesty
..........and Boyle
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 14:50 ..........and Boyle
His farewell game was in February to be fair :lol:
HamTown
Flare and a mini pitch invasion for a Bolton goal at the end of the season with nothing to play for, bizarre
Alf
Just when you thought you’d seen a plethora of c!#p referees this season and that it couldn’t possibly get any worse, this bell end turns up!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 15:22 Flare and a mini pitch invasion for a Bolton goal at the end of the season with nothing to play for, bizarre
A whole day in the sun drinking and snorting drugs will do that.

Football games are generally cesspits these days. As Cheltenham fans we don’t really get exposed to it at all in our stands compared to other clubs but for most clubs scenes like the Bolton fans today are just standard weekly occurrences and part of the match day.

I hope to see clampdowns next season. The authorities need to instruct referees to pause games whilst police come on make mass arrests.
Nesty
Alf wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 15:41 Just when you thought you’d seen a plethora of c!#p referees this season and that it couldn’t possibly get any worse, this bell end turns up!
a complete a****hole -
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 14:24
Nesty wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 13:41 Flinders one of 6 changes

Certainly looks like a farewell game for Flinders and Sercombe.
and Williams
Ben version 4:0
That was a poor poor performance second half, a point would have been a travesty.

Thanks to Flinders and Boyle, great servants of the club.

Thanks to Etete, Wright and Pollock, good young players with bright futures.

There is a BIG rebuilding job needed now
HamTown
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 16:13 There is a BIG rebuilding job needed now
Scary in my eyes. Staying up next season will be just as hard as finishing mid table in my opinion
Ben version 4:0
HamTown wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 17:06
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 16:13 There is a BIG rebuilding job needed now
Scary in my eyes. Staying up next season will be just as hard as finishing mid table in my opinion
Not far wrong. But we have the makings of a good defence (Evans, raglan, long, Blair, Williams) and a red-hot striker in May. Bonds looks good enough as does one of sercombe or Thomas.

It's the wrong time to say anything negative about the players leaving so I won't!

I like Lloyd. I know he's a local lad so I'm biaised but he has something of the paul scholes about him. As he gets older I wonder if he might play in the middle of the park? Tackling and heading don't bother him....????
Broadway Brian
Ben version 4:0 wrote:
Not far wrong. But we have the makings of a good defence (Evans, raglan, long, Blair, Williams) and a red-hot striker in May. Bonds looks good enough as does one of sercombe or Thomas.

It's the wrong time to say anything negative about the players leaving so I won't!

I like Lloyd. I know he's a local lad so I'm biaised but he has something of the paul scholes about him. As he gets older I wonder if he might play in the middle of the park? Tackling and heading don't bother him....????
The defence needs a major overhaul as it’s been poor this season for me. Too slow on the turn by far.

I think Evans has potential with better ball playing centre halves in front of him and B Williams has been a great addition.

I’m also excited by Charlie Brown for next season.

Bonds has been a real positive at breaking up play but gets caught on the ball too much for me. He seems to take an age to get it under control.

Lloydy puts the effort in but lacks L1 quality. Thomas is a slow crab.

Sercombe will be a miss.

Opinions eh!
Warwickshire Robin
What really disappointed me apart from the result obviously, was the lack of any real celebration at the end of the fact we have just secured the highest league finish in our history. I thought more could have been made of this.

Its been a fabulous season all told and i think the club missed a trick and an opportunity for the fans to thank the players and staff and vice versa and to build a bond between us.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

CTFC.Harry
May won't be as good next season as he was this season. We need a striker to play alongside him who can take the weight off his shoulders. Replacing Wright will be difficult too. 2 centre backs, a GK and another centre midfielder are needed too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wright will be the biggest loss. I expect the CB signings to be a level up on Boyle in the same way Williams was a level up on Hussey.

Each transfer window is about transitioning the squad from L2 to L1. We still had L2 players in key positions so I looking forward to improving this summer.
everyman
HamTown wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 15:22 Flare and a mini pitch invasion for a Bolton goal at the end of the season with nothing to play for, bizarre
I couldn`t believe my eyes seing an idiot carry a child onto the pitch,setting a good example ?
Shade
Bunch of animals in the away end. We've had a few this season but, given there was absolutely nothing on the game, I'm wondering if they were the worst. I mean, who gets that worked up about scoring at Cheltenham in a meaningless end of season game ffs. Especially when you're ex-PL. Embarrassing. I'm pretty sure there were a bunch giving their own keeper dogs abuse because he popped one of their beach balls early in the game, as well.

As for the game, nothing on it, several players are looking for new clubs and don't want to risk getting a long-term injury now (and for the last couple of weeks...) and a few were obviously played for sentimental reasons...although I still think Flinders is better than Evans (I'm not one who thinks Evans is terrible though, apart from needing to speed up his distribution).

As I said a couple of weeks ago, half of the squad needs to be replaced this summer assuming most of the out of contract players don't stay. If we finish get 50+ points next season it will have been a bigger achievement than this season, in my opinion.
Robin
I cannot see us replacing half the squad this summer, 13 are already under contract and several will be offered new deals. Maybe 7-8 new faces coming in no doubt but that's par for the course in lower leagues.
Warwickshire Robin
Robin wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 12:30 I cannot see us replacing half the squad this summer, 13 are already under contract and several will be offered new deals. Maybe 7-8 new faces coming in no doubt but that's par for the course in lower leagues.
Yes and of those you would expect 4 or 5 to be loan players.

Will definitely be interesting to what sort of player we can attract on a full contract. The type and size of club we are means that the top available talent is going to have a number of choices which, being realistic, means we are not likely to be the number one destination. Therefore, we are really banking on Duff & Moore conjuring up some more hidden gems like Alfie and Ben Williams which must be so difficult in this day and age of agents, internet and databases etc. Good luck fellas!
everyman
Broadway Brian wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 17:55
Ben version 4:0 wrote:

The defence needs a major overhaul as it’s been poor this season for me. Too slow on the turn by far.

I think Evans has potential with better ball playing centre halves in front of him and B Williams has been a great addition.

I’m also excited by Charlie Brown for next season.

Bonds has been a real positive at breaking up play but gets caught on the ball too much for me. He seems to take an age to get it under control.

Lloydy puts the effort in but lacks L1 quality. Thomas is a slow crab.

Sercombe will be a miss.
I`ve always liked Lloyd but he just doesn`t affect games at all,runs around a lot but not creative and very seldom shoots must drop a few levels to find his own.He hasn`t been comfortable playing mens football so far.
Opinions eh!
Robin
I'd imagine our permanent signings will compromise of 1-2 experienced league one players on higher wages and 3-4 younger players we pick up released out of the Championship who are not yet expecting big money - a bit like Williams. The loanees will be young Premier U-23 players with the odd higher quality championship youngster.
paperboy
This season we have lost experienced/expensive players in Tozer, Hussey, Vassell and Williams plus probably Boyle and Flinders.
That's why I'm thinking we will offer contracts to Blair, Thomas,Sercombe, Raglan and Chapman, but probably not Barkers or Colkett. Not sure about Hutchinson.
Doesn't mean they will accept though.
I guess three of the five loanees we will try for are Ndombele,Perry and Ramsey. Trouble is bigger clubs don't decide who to let out until after pre-season.

I think MD said we have thirteen signed for next season plus we will have five loanees which will take us to eighteen.
Robin
paperboy wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 16:37 This season we have lost experienced/expensive players in Tozer, Hussey, Vassell and Williams plus probably Boyle and Flinders.
That's why I'm thinking we will offer contracts to Blair, Thomas,Sercombe, Raglan and Chapman, but probably not Barkers or Colkett. Not sure about Hutchinson.
Doesn't mean they will accept though.
I guess three of the five loanees we will try for are Ndombele,Perry and Ramsey. Trouble is bigger clubs don't decide who to let out until after pre-season.

I think MD said we have thirteen signed for next season plus we will have five loanees which will take us to eighteen.
Blair is already contracted for next season and we will need a squad of 23 or 24 realistically so 13 already signed on and Chapman/Guinan to join so that's 15. We then add 5 loanees and probably 3-4 permanent signings.
Fuller
I’m sure Raglan has another year left on his contract too.
Guinan, like Ebanks won’t be ready for the first team squad for a good while yet.
Robin
Fuller wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 18:56 I’m sure Raglan has another year left on his contract too.
Guinan, like Ebanks won’t be ready for the first team squad for a good while yet.
Exactly and I think you can add Max Harries, Dylan Barkers and to a lesser extent George Lloyd and Grant Horton to that list. It's why we need a squad of at least 23-24 players so those fringe youngsters can go out on loan unless we are hit with many injuries.
Shade
paperboy wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 16:37 Ndombele
Guessing you mean N'Lundulu, but I'd take Ndombele in a heartbeat if Spurs are willing to loan him to League One on the cheap next season rather than Ligue Un, where he currently is :lol:
Warwickshire Robin
Robin wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 21:12
Fuller wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 18:56 I’m sure Raglan has another year left on his contract too.
Exactly and I think you can add Max Harries, Dylan Barkers and to a lesser extent George Lloyd and Grant Horton to that list. It's why we need a squad of at least 23-24 players so those fringe youngsters can go out on loan unless we are hit with many injuries.
Think Harris and Barkers are out of contract too?

Horton is out on loan at Bohemians in Ireland so would be interesting to see how much he improves from that experience (although I did see he got subbed at half time in a 3-1 defeat to Shamrock Rovers last weekend!!).
HamTown
Can't see Barkers being offered a contract when we've got young alternatives already playing regular first team football (Bonds, Chapman, Colkett)

I wonder if we'll see any of Felix Miles beyond the whatever its called cup this season, he seems to have a bit of the x factor about him
Robin
Felix was on trial at Birmingham recently, we've clearly offered him a new deal but he seems to be looking to get a deal elsewhere first which is a shame but probably understandble in the circumstance.
paperboy
Shade wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 10:26
paperboy wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 16:37 Ndombele
Guessing you mean N'Lundulu, but I'd take Ndombele in a heartbeat if Spurs are willing to loan him to League One on the cheap next season rather than Ligue Un, where he currently is :lol:
Oops! 😀
Robin
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 14:23

Horton is out on loan at Bohemians in Ireland so would be interesting to see how much he improves from that experience (although I did see he got subbed at half time in a 3-1 defeat to Shamrock Rovers last weekend!!).
Yes they are however I would expect to retain Harris, he's done well on loan at Weston by all accounts and with the club likely to be bringing in a loan keeper this summer we will want some back up through pre-season and possibly during the season too.

Anyone know how Barkers has got on at Gloucester? Looked to have some good raw potential when I saw him earlier in the season but we do have Bonds and possibly Thomas in that holding role already.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 18:30
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 14:23

Yes they are however I would expect to retain Harris, he's done well on loan at Weston by all accounts and with the club likely to be bringing in a loan keeper this summer we will want some back up through pre-season and possibly during the season too.

Anyone know how Barkers has got on at Gloucester? Looked to have some good raw potential when I saw him earlier in the season but we do have Bonds and possibly Thomas in that holding role already.
Judging by results he has turned their season around. They were a game or two away from being bottom when he joined but have cruised up a few places since.
Shade
I definitely wouldn't be letting Barkers leave. From what we saw of him he has a lot of potential. It's a shame we haven't been able to give him more experience at this level in the last few weeks. He's still only 21, a big unit, can make a tackle and has some good ability on the ball.