Game cancelled Saturday?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Si Robin wrote:He needs to learn some respect I think asl
Not sure what disrespect he showed or could be suggested by what I said, tbh... John Major, Trevor McDonald and Stephen Fry were there, too.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Si Robin
Bloody disrespectful lot they are as well.
Jerry St Clair
Hobson's choice for the EFL. They couldn't proceed with matches with all other sport cancelled.

I wonder if this might boost the attendance for Cambridge on Tuesday? I wasn't going to go, but will likely pop along now the Bolton game is off.
Si Robin
Is all other sport off?

That's a genuine question, all I've seen is that rugby is still going ahead, and the statement from English Netball recommended minute's silences and black armbands (someone posted it on my football manager's chat).
asl
Rugby League going ahead. That's the only domestic one I've seen say so.

Si Robin
I've now seen that rugby union and cricket are continuing as normal.

They need to learn some respect.
HamTown
For someone who aimed to be "boring" and was a horse racing fanatic I find it difficult to believe her wish was to cancel sports because of her demise
Robin
This will likely cost clubs a lot of money. Saturday would have likely seen a crowd pushing 5000, instead we will more likely get 3500 midweek. That's probably £20k in lost revenue and not factoring the cost of running the lights at night.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 14:46 Is all other sport off?

That's a genuine question, all I've seen is that rugby is still going ahead, and the statement from English Netball recommended minute's silences and black armbands (someone posted it on my football manager's chat).
Fair point. it is a mixed picture. Horse racing off on Saturday. Tour of Britain off. Golf, rugby on.

Still think it was Hobson's choice once the Prem called games off. No way the EFL could proceed then.
PittvillePundit
"Decision being taken tomorrow on all this weekend’s sports fixtures. I hope they make the right decision - the games should be postponed out of respect and to reflect the mood of the nation"

Regency - who is anyone to say what the "mood of the nation is".?

I have my view: others have theirs. Fine. But please don't presume to know what the generality of that is. I have no idea myself.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
PittvillePundit wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 16:46 "Decision being taken tomorrow on all this weekend’s sports fixtures. I hope they make the right decision - the games should be postponed out of respect and to reflect the mood of the nation"

Regency - who is anyone to say what the "mood of the nation is".?

I have my view: others have theirs. Fine. But please don't presume to know what the generality of that is. I have no idea myself.
It’s not a mood I necessarily share but the prevailing feeling is self evident.
PittvillePundit
^^^^

Is it?

Based on what evidence?
HamTown
PittvillePundit wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 16:56 ^^^^

Is it?

Based on what evidence?
My anecdotal evidence is that everyone I've spoke to has been the same - tiny bit sad, feel sympathy for the family but not entirely fussed.
Whereas to me the media seems to be making out a nation in mourning not knowing what to do with themselves
asl
North Korea have it right...you have to be seen to be wailing, screaming and crying for the full 5 days or you get shot. That's *real* respec', Si.

Si Robin
asl wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 17:28 North Korea have it right...you have to be seen to be wailing, screaming and crying for the full 5 days or you get shot. That's *real* respec', Si.

:lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
PittvillePundit wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 16:56 ^^^^

Is it?

Based on what evidence?
Anecdotal evidence as Has HamTown suggests above. Evidence of most people I have spoken to socially and professionally, most people I follow or see posting online, from social commentators and observers even at the anti-monarchy end of the spectrum, most businesses I have interacted with. Etc.
Shade
And once again this forum, let alone the country, is divided. Sometimes I really wish the internet was never invented.

I don't understand why people have to seemingly get so worked up about stuff, especially when a decision has already been made. Just spend tomorrow afternoon with your families, playing playstation, having a walk or a beer, etc, instead. Even better, do all of them if you can!

FWIW, I wanted our game to go ahead tomorrow. It won't and I respect the decision made by the EFL. This is something that hasn't happened in 70 years, the majority of our lifetimes. Whether you care or not, whether most people you know don't care, a lot actually do care a great deal, including those in charge, evidently.
PittvillePundit
I'm not "worked up". I am just expressing a view.

I suspect most of the cancellations (which have a domino effect anyway) is down to fear of trolling and lambasting from the likes of the Daily Mail. Easier to take the line of least resistance.

Ham Town nailed it. If there is a "prevailing mood" it seems to be one of a tinge of sadness, sympathy for those directly affected and a recognition that Her Majesty had a long life, well lived, and that the media frenzy is one entirely of the media's own creation and not reflective at all of the general mood.
Nham68
It’s gotten so ridiculous, the BoE have delayed their interest rate decision next week . And now the schools are deciding to have a day off. My son was shouted at in school assembly today for not singing the national anthem loud enough < letter already drafted > It’s collective hysteria . They’ll be turning off the broadband for the big day next.
PittvillePundit
^^^^

It's the Princess of Wales all over again.
PittvillePundit
There's a survey on Twitter which is asking

A) Sport

b) No Sport

on Saturday.

Near 9000 responses.

Near 90% for A).
Si Robin
Nham68 wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 19:32 It’s gotten so ridiculous, the BoE have delayed their interest rate decision next week . And now the schools are deciding to have a day off. My son was shouted at in school assembly today for not singing the national anthem loud enough < letter already drafted > It’s collective hysteria . They’ll be turning off the broadband for the big day next.
You are kidding me... :lol: :lol:
tunnelvision
PittvillePundit wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 21:24 There's a survey on Twitter which is asking

A) Sport

b) No Sport

on Saturday.

Near 9000 responses.

Near 90% for A).
It's not just sport or no sport though, it seems to be only football that's cancelled. Cricket, Golf, Rugby etc will be played on Saturday.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
PittvillePundit wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 21:03 ^^^^

It's the Princess of Wales all over again.
Funny you mention that. It was another Royal vs Football clash for me. I programmed the video recorder to record Match of the Day. Next morning I rewound the VHS, pressed play and MOTD had been delayed or cancelled (I forget which) by a news special and I watched a recording of the breaking news - which was the first I had heard of it. I can still picture myself sat on the floor watching it before my parents woke up.

I also vividly remember going to my Gran’s house to watch one of the Liverpool vs Newcastle 4-3s (they had Sky). She had to give me a lift home before full-time so had the match on in the car on 5Live which was interrupted and cut away to breaking news of us/allies sending in air strikes in Kosovo.

In both instances I was frustrated the football was bumped, but equally recognised the significance of the moment and the importance to watch/listen to history books being drafted in front of my eyes/ears.

At least tomorrow that clash of ‘momentous moment in history vs football’ has been avoided by postponing the game before it starts.
Broadway Brian
Fully understand the postponement although would have loved to be at the footie - both my boy’s in the morning and then the mighty Robins in the afternoon.

Charlie Brown would have celebrated Her Majesty’s life with a barn storming hat-trick, I’m sure.

70 years serving our great country deserves a significant mark of respect for me.

UTR
Nham68
Si Robin wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 21:24
Nham68 wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 19:32 It’s gotten so ridiculous, the BoE have delayed their interest rate decision next week . And now the schools are deciding to have a day off. My son was shouted at in school assembly today for not singing the national anthem loud enough < letter already drafted > It’s collective hysteria . They’ll be turning off the broadband for the big day next.
You are kidding me... :lol: :lol:
I kid you not . I’lol not name and shame . My son was fuming . It was an RE teacher … not very christian like !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
PittvillePundit wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 21:24 There's a survey on Twitter which is asking

A) Sport

b) No Sport

on Saturday.

Near 9000 responses.

Near 90% for A).
Clutching at straws if you are citing Twitter polls. And you aren’t getting worked up!

You could get 90% of 9,000 people on Twitter saying the Earth is flat if the poll is started by someone in the right echo chamber.
horlickfanclub
Why was there a plan ready for this situation?
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Sep 2022, 21:31 Decision being taken tomorrow on all this weekend’s sports fixtures. I hope they make the right decision - the games should be postponed out of respect and to reflect the mood of the nation.
Are rugby union being disrespectful by going ahead with games on saturday,i don`t think so ! Just being able to decide for themselves rather than be forced into a pointless gesture.
Nesty
everyman wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 08:33
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Sep 2022, 21:31 Decision being taken tomorrow on all this weekend’s sports fixtures. I hope they make the right decision - the games should be postponed out of respect and to reflect the mood of the nation.
Are rugby union being disrespectful by going ahead with games on saturday,i don`t think so ! Just being able to decide for themselves rather than be forced into a pointless gesture.
spot on - one minutes silence is enough
PittvillePundit
9000 is a reasonably large sample size RCS.
Chinnamasta
Stroud Times on carrot muncher.

https://stroudtimes.com/dale-vince-obe- ... een-tweet/

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Alf
Cannot understand why football has to be cancelled. Surely people should be allowed to make their own decisions as to whether they attend fixtures or not? Are shops being forced to close? Restaurants? Bars? Are flights being suspended? Petrol Stations closing Etc; I doubt it. Other sports and entertainment appear to be going ahead. Surely going to a football match and having the opportunity to show respect with fellow supporters would be more appreciative than having to sit at home watching repetitive TV?
theidlerich
I understand that the protocol for National Sports in the event of the death of the Monarch was established several years ago [20 +/_]. This was all National Sports to be cancelled, unless 'in play'. This has been known to the authorities for some considerable time! Note Rugby League is not officially classed as a National Sport.
Therefore sad to see the GB Cycle tour cancelled especially as it due through Glos'shire and here in the sunny Cotswolds! Shame on those organisers.
That said fascinating to see historical protocols in action...
Sprout Picker
theidlerich wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 10:07 I understand that the protocol for National Sports in the event of the death of the Monarch was established several years ago [20 +/_]. This was all National Sports to be cancelled, unless 'in play'. This has been known to the authorities for some considerable time! Note Rugby League is not officially classed as a National Sport.
Therefore sad to see the GB Cycle tour cancelled especially as it due through Glos'shire and here in the sunny Cotswolds! Shame on those organisers.
That said fascinating to see historical protocols in action...
Poor decision to suspend football in my view as was the equally bad call to curtail the ToB. Surely better to showcase the country and pay suitable respects than just cancelling everything.