FA Cup draw

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Si Robin wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 06:48
longmover wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 20:39 Wrexham would also be another one to avoid, the circus that comes with it would be vomit inducing.
Guaranteed TV game though
Just what we need, being knocked out on BBC1 at 12pm on a Saturday after Tozer lobs one into our box... and he'd celebrate.
Jerry St Clair
Normally LOVE first round day, but everything looks horrible this year. Plenty of potential for a horrible journey or a humiliation. Or both.

For the LOLZ, and parochial interest, I'll go for trips to Maidenhead United or Bracknell Town.

Have a sneaky suspicion it'll be Merthyr. They knocked out Gloucester City in the last round so another glorious trip to the Shire seems written in the stars.
Malabus
Si Robin wrote:We played Gillingham in the first round of the cup in 1999. Drew 1-1 at Whaddon Road, then lost in the replay at Priestfield.
Neil Howarth volleyed goal in the replay, if I remember right.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 11:03
longmover wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 20:39 Wrexham would also be another one to avoid, the circus that comes with it would be vomit inducing.
Just what we need, being knocked out on BBC1 at 12pm on a Saturday after Tozer lobs one into our box... and he'd celebrate.
More likely 3-0 to us. One 20p headed ‘clearance’ from Tozer giving us a goal. One slip-misplaced pass combo to gift us the second, and a third on the break with Long or Adshead ‘outpacing’ Tozer after giving him a 10 metre head start.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 13:43

More likely 3-0 to us. One 20p headed ‘clearance’ from Tozer giving us a goal. One slip-misplaced pass combo to gift us the second, and a third on the break with Long or Adshead ‘outpacing’ Tozer after giving him a 10 metre head start.
I don’t recall him making any such errors when we played Man City. In fact he was superb as he was for most of the time once Duffo revamped our system and went to a back 3.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 14:28

I don’t recall him making any such errors when we played Man City. In fact he was superb as he was for most of the time once Duffo revamped our system and went to a back 3.
I wasn’t talking about Man City where everyone was superb.

I was just making a tongue in cheek commentary on his usual weekly mistake. It was heart in mouth whenever the ball went towards him at the back, like it was for Boyle, even if on the whole all the defenders worked well together in that system.
ctfc-fan
Alvechurch at home!
Shade
We literally couldn't have picked a better draw to try to get through to round 2
Horteng
Thibk we’d of took that before the draw and take it now. Their manager was underwhelmed lol
CTFCfan99
Horteng wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 18:32 Thibk we’d of took that before the draw and take it now. Their manager was underwhelmed lol
Not as underwhelmed as the South Shields boss when they drew FGR :lol:
cliffy90
Graham Allner was Alvechurch's record goalscorer.
RobinHood
That should be an interesting one with a decent away following given the short trip, however I don’t think that will be a TV pick.

There’s quite a few non-league teams at home to league opposition, you’d expect Hereford - Portsmouth to be the first pick.

If the fixture was reversed it would definitely be picked for TV.
Anteros
Kids for a quid?
Si Robin
I cheered that nearly as much as I cheered drawing Spurs away in 11/12. Great draw - let's hope the club get the ticket pricing right.
paperboy
Massive chance to progress with 41K in the bank account.
robinsrule
Absolute plum draw! Give them their big day out and send them packing with a comfortable defeat.

(Not saying that’s what’ll happen, it’s what I want to happen!)
bigdavejambo
Anteros wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 18:42 Kids for a quid?
has to be agreed mutually between the two clubs but id expect Alvechurch will want a big payday
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 15:23

I was just making a tongue in cheek commentary on his usual weekly mistake. It was heart in mouth whenever the ball went towards him at the back, like it was for Boyle, even if on the whole all the defenders worked well together in that system.
I don’t ever particularly recall feeling that it was ‘heart in mouth’ whenever the ball went towards him at the back. And I certainly don’t recall a ‘weekly mistake’. You’ve derided Tozer, Boyle and now Long for quite a while on here. I’d remind you that they won the L2 title so they must have been doing something right.
little mo
Sprout Picker wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 19:39

I don’t ever particularly recall feeling that it was ‘heart in mouth’ whenever the ball went towards him at the back. And I certainly don’t recall a ‘weekly mistake’. You’ve derided Tozer, Boyle and now Long for quite a while on here. I’d remind you that they won the L2 title so they must have been doing something right.
Spot on Sprout picker,well said.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

That’s your opinion which is fine so we’ll agree to disagree. Football is a game of opinions after all and some will have ones similar to you, some similar to me and some completely different.

Back on topic. Great draw. Be nice to see Brown, Lloyd and Norton get a goal each.

Bring on the Sand Dancers in Round 2.
Horteng
CTFCfan99 wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 18:33
Horteng wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 18:32 Thibk we’d of took that before the draw and take it now. Their manager was underwhelmed lol
True. That was Kevin Philips.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 21:51

That’s your opinion which is fine so we’ll agree to disagree. Football is a game of opinions after all and some will have ones similar to you, some similar to me and some completely different.

Back on topic. Great draw. Be nice to see Brown, Lloyd and Norton get a goal each.

It would also seem to have been the opinion of a certain Michael Duff. Given he was a very accomplished defender himself during his playing career and has made an excellent start as a manager I’d be inclined to trust his judgement over some forum loudmouth.

Just my opinion.
Shade
Horteng wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 06:43
CTFCfan99 wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 18:33
True. That was Kevin Philips.
Imagine getting through to round 1, getting a League club and then realising it’s just a non-league club in disguise :P
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 09:21

It would also seem to have been the opinion of a certain Michael Duff. Given he was a very accomplished defender himself during his playing career and has made an excellent start as a manager I’d be inclined to trust his judgement over some forum loudmouth.

Just my opinion.
Duff who was happy to sell him and then achieved the highest ever finish after he’d left.

Would have been interesting to see if Duff gave him much game time in L1. We will never know. I personally think it would be like when Parslow and Downes were calamitous in L2 after getting us promoted.

Not sure why you are so offended. Don’t get me wrong. Tozer was a rock for us, one of the best defenders in L2 and a worthy champion. That doesn’t mean he didn’t make mistakes or make you cross your fingers he didn’t let long balls bounce over his head, or mis-control it/give it away when you saw the ball being passed to him at the back. He got away with being too slow (aside from the odd hammering like Barrow or Mansfield) through positioning and determination which was admirable but not sure it would cut it now.
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 12:21

Just my opinion.

Duff who was happy to sell him
and then achieved the highest ever finish after he’d left.

I think that's rewriting history somewhat - it's common knowledge Tozer held the club to ransom, saying that he would pay off his own contract in January if he wasn't allowed to leave, the board then got double (or even four times) what they'd have got for him in January. He also refused to train with the team as well.

I'm quite sure Duff had very little say in the matter.
Jerry St Clair
£10 minimum for adults, and CTFC can set that without consulting Alvechurch. Concessions to be agreed between the clubs.

The replay against Gillingham last year was £10 adults, £5 all concessions. I expect it'll be that again.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 12:32

Just my opinion.

I think that's rewriting history somewhat - it's common knowledge Tozer held the club to ransom, saying that he would pay off his own contract in January if he wasn't allowed to leave, the board then got double (or even four times) what they'd have got for him in January. He also refused to train with the team as well.

Fair enough. I wasn’t aware of that.
Si Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 12:36
£10 minimum for adults, and CTFC can set that without consulting Alvechurch. Concessions to be agreed between the clubs.

The replay against Gillingham last year was £10 adults, £5 all concessions. I expect it'll be that again.
I think that would be perfect - get as many adults and kids in as possible and Alvechurch also get a decentish payday.
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 12:32

Just my opinion.

Wrexham would give him the money to pay off his contract, doubt he would have gone into his own pockets.
Si Robin
Of course - but the rule was he could pay it off himself, not that Wrexham could.

Only a naive person would believe that Wrexham wouldn't pay it though.
Sprout Picker

Just my opinion.
Duff who was happy to sell him and then achieved the highest ever finish after he’d left.

Would have been interesting to see if Duff gave him much game time in L1. We will never know. I personally think it would be like when Parslow and Downes were calamitous in L2 after getting us promoted.

Not sure why you are so offended. Don’t get me wrong. Tozer was a rock for us, one of the best defenders in L2 and a worthy champion. That doesn’t mean he didn’t make mistakes or make you cross your fingers he didn’t let long balls bounce over his head, or mis-control it/give it away when you saw the ball being passed to him at the back. He got away with being too slow (aside from the odd hammering like Barrow or Mansfield) through positioning and determination which was admirable but not sure it would cut it now.
To be honest I'm not sure you know what you're saying. One minute you're claiming he makes a mistake every week, 50p headers, misplaced passes etc. the next you're saying he was a rock for us. Which is it? Given our budget, what are you expecting? Maldini? Peak Rio Ferdinand? Virane?

Who would you say has been a better central defender for us since we first got into the league? Chris Banks was a classy player but never hit those heights. Duffo probably better than any others. Bennett and Elliott were decent but again never achieved as much. Richard Walker was very solid until he got crocked. Keogh was quality but not ours.

As others have said Tozer was offered a very good contract to play for Wrexham and we were offered £200k for a player who now wanted to leave. Pretty much a no-brainer all round I'd say.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 20:24

Just my opinion.

To be honest I'm not sure you know what you're saying. One minute you're claiming he makes a mistake every week, 50p headers, misplaced passes etc. the next you're saying he was a rock for us. Which is it? Given our budget, what are you expecting? Maldini? Peak Rio Ferdinand? Virane?

Who would you say has been a better central defender for us since we first got into the league? Chris Banks was a classy player but never hit those heights. Duffo probably better than any others. Bennett and Elliott were decent but again never achieved as much. Richard Walker was very solid until he got crocked. Keogh was quality but not ours.

As others have said Tozer was offered a very good contract to play for Wrexham and we were offered £200k for a player who now wanted to leave. Pretty much a no-brainer all round I'd say.
He was a rock for L2. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t make mistakes and was poor on the ball - he got away with a lot because the opponents were so bad and the collective unit was so strong, but the ball going under his foot or bouncing off is a common memory. It’s possible to appreciate players and also recognise their weaknesses. No need for everything to be black and white or one camp pitched against another. Let’s leave it there in disagreement rather than completely derail the thread.

As for your question. Richard Walker was my favourite. Banks was class at that time but probably would look amateurish now. Duff obviously the best given what he went to achieve.

Weirdly it was Caines and Gallinagh who had that record breaking run in League One. Gallinagh was also one of my favourites.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 21:05

He was a rock for L2. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t make mistakes and was poor on the ball - he got away with a lot because the opponents were so bad and the collective unit was so strong, but the ball going under his foot or bouncing off is a common memory. It’s possible to appreciate players and also recognise their weaknesses. No need for everything to be black and white or one camp pitched against another. Let’s leave it there in disagreement rather than completely derail the thread.

As for your question. Richard Walker was my favourite. Banks was class at that time but probably would look amateurish now. Duff obviously the best given what he went to achieve.

Weirdly it was Caines and Gallinagh who had that record breaking run in League One. Gallinagh was also one of my favourites.
Nowhere have I said he or others ‘didn’t make mistakes’. As I said previously you don’t seem to know what you’re saying, almost a case of typing words and arguing for the sake of it.

If his mistakes were as common as you keep saying how the hell did we end up winning the title? Why did our opponents not take advantage of all these errors?

Quite why you constantly feel the need to disparage payers who have done well for us I’ll never know. There’s been plenty of dross over the years and yet you gun for the ones who actually delivered.
asl
Unfortunately, RCS (although he's not alone) has a propensity to laud current players as World-Beaters and when they leave, they suddenly become rubbish. q.v. Winchester, Pell, Broom (he'll presumably come good again...), and many others.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 09:00
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 21:05

Nowhere have I said he or others ‘didn’t make mistakes’. As I said previously you don’t seem to know what you’re saying, almost a case of typing words and arguing for the sake of it.

If his mistakes were as common as you keep saying how the hell did we end up winning the title? Why did our opponents not take advantage of all these errors?

Quite why you constantly feel the need to disparage payers who have done well for us I’ll never know. There’s been plenty of dross over the years and yet you gun for the ones who actually delivered.
Opponents weren’t good enough. The unit was strong enough they covered each other’s mistakes.

The dross are such an unwelcome memory we don’t need to talk about them.

I am not gunning for players. Just giving my opinion when they come up in conversation- I gave plenty of criticism when they were here as well. But if opinions aren’t welcome I will stop.