FA Cup draw

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
RCS said
I am not gunning for players. Just giving my opinion when they come up in conversation- I gave plenty of criticism when they were here as well. But if opinions aren’t welcome I will stop.

Is that a promise RCS or just an idle threat
Sprout Picker
andgarod wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 13:29 RCS said
I am not gunning for players. Just giving my opinion when they come up in conversation- I gave plenty of criticism when they were here as well. But if opinions aren’t welcome I will stop.

I was wondering the same.

It seems now, according to RCS, that we won the league not because we were good but because everyone else was rubbish. Jesus Christ, I’ve read some shite in my time but this is another level. :lol:
paperboy
Alvechurch have now sold 1430 tickets for the tie with us.

Should make for a decent atmosphere.
Shade
What's their average home gate :D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 09:24

It seems now, according to RCS, that we won the league not because we were good but because everyone else was rubbish. Jesus Christ, I’ve read some shite in my time but this is another level. :lol:
We were the best team in the division, with probably the best CTFC team in my lifetime. Most of that team went on to achieve the highest ever finish in the Club’s history. I have never suggested otherwise.
Si Robin
Shade wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 22:52 What's their average home gate :D
315 - fair play to them, I hope a number of those coming to Whaddon Road continue to attend some Alvechurch league games going forward
Jerry St Clair
paperboy wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 17:16 Alvechurch have now sold 1430 tickets for the tie with us.

That’ll be blocks 7/8 of the Colin Farmer sold out then. I see block 6 is currently not on sale so possibly being held back for Alvechurch? That’d be close to 1700. Give them all they can sell, I say.
Si Robin
My season ticket is in block 6 and I'll be converting it to sold later this evening.
everyman
paperboy wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 17:16 Alvechurch have now sold 1430 tickets for the tie with us.

We had better score early or their crowd could lift the team to a famous victory.
longmover
I never ever thought CTFC would be a teams CUP FINAL :lol:
little mo
longmover wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 09:34 I never ever thought CTFC would be a teams CUP FINAL :lol:
They are coming because they think there is a chance of beating us. Believe me,if we play like we did on Saturday then they will. We were absolutely awful and clueless,and that is being kind.
little mo

Villa not playing that day so i suspect there will be some of them in the there.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 06:07

We were the best team in the division, with probably the best CTFC team in my lifetime. Most of that team went on to achieve the highest ever finish in the Club’s history. I have never suggested otherwise.
You don't know what you're saying; just arguing for the sake of it as usual.

Probably the best CTFC team in your lifetime but yet you consistently deride the very players who were in that side. As I said previously what exactly are you expecting? All players make mistakes even at the very highest level but this revisionist nonsense of 'errors every week', constant 'heart in mouth moments', '50p headers' etc. is utter cobblers and insulting to those involved. Save your ire for those who deserve it, not those who delivered results.
Sprout Picker

Hats off to them, should make for a good atmosphere. Let's hope we actually get on the front foot and turn up!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 10:03

Probably the best CTFC team in your lifetime but yet you consistently deride the very players who were in that side. As I said previously what exactly are you expecting? All players make mistakes even at the very highest level but this revisionist nonsense of 'errors every week', constant 'heart in mouth moments', '50p headers' etc. is utter cobblers and insulting to those involved. Save your ire for those who deserve it, not those who delivered results.
Noted. Apologies. I didn’t realise nuance wasn’t allowed anymore. Players are either good or bad, and anyone who points out weaknesses of good players or strengths of bad players doesn’t know what they are saying.

As for Ire? I have no ire with Tozer. Nor am O deriding him. I just made a throwaway remark that it was heart in mouth (etc) when our defence passed it around or when the opponents hit it long, in the games I watched. It was not a comment on his overall quality and contribution. When I have talked positively about his overall quality and contribution you seem to get more angry, so….

If that’s insulting then heaven forbid what you make of people making much more personally insulting comments about a player’s character, like saying they are not trying when they are, saying players aren’t fit to wear the shirt when they are just doing their jobs, or abusing/jeering individual players during a match.

Those things are much more filled with ire.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 10:24

Noted. Apologies. I didn’t realise nuance wasn’t allowed anymore. Players are either good or bad, and anyone who points out weaknesses of good players or strengths of bad players doesn’t know what they are saying.

As for Ire? I have no ire with Tozer. Nor am O deriding him. I just made a throwaway remark that it was heart in mouth (etc) when our defence passed it around or when the opponents hit it long, in the games I watched. It was not a comment on his overall quality and contribution. When I have talked positively about his overall quality and contribution you seem to get more angry, so….

If that’s insulting then heaven forbid what you make of people making much more personally insulting comments about a player’s character, like saying they are not trying when they are, saying players aren’t fit to wear the shirt when they are just doing their jobs, or abusing/jeering individual players during a match.

Christ, do you ever take a day off?!

Sorry but not sorry. I'm not sure it really warranted an essay or what the rest of your post is rambling on about but if you've nothing better to do...

You've been slagging these guys off (Boyle, Tozer, Long, Hussey etc.) for ages on here, hardly the 'throwaway remark' you claim but then that's always your go-to defence when anyone picks up on the idiocy and inconsistency of your arguments. I picked you up on it and you don't like it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 17:42

Sorry but not sorry. I'm not sure it really warranted an essay or what the rest of your post is rambling on about but if you've nothing better to do...

You've been slagging these guys off (Boyle, Tozer, Long, Hussey etc.) for ages on here, hardly the 'throwaway remark' you claim but then that's always your go-to defence when anyone picks up on the idiocy and inconsistency of your arguments. I picked you up on it and you don't like it.
What I don’t like is stupidity. And mistaking ‘recognising strengths and weaknesses’ for ‘inconsistency’ is stupidity.

Long is a great CTFC player and his experience and fight is important. But I think he is too slow for CB and is being found out this season after one season too many being played out of position. I’d love to see him play in a different position.

Hussey. Too slow for L1 when we got promoted and the right time to leave. But one of my favourite CTFC players of all time who I never slagged off apart from mentioning his declining pace. Was the best left back in L2 when he was with us and probably would have him ahead of Victory in my all time eleven. One of the best characters and personalities we have had. His personal story is inspiring for many.

Boyle (pace, giving ball away, heart palps when passing across the back line) is the same as Tozer. Part of the best CTFC ever, winning the league, and Boyle captaining us to the highest ever finish. Those achievements speak for themselves. That doesn’t mean I have to ignore the limitations of the game or pretend I wasn’t worried whenever the ball went in their direction.

That’s all there is too it. Hopefully explains enough that you don’t get angry and have a go about it as like you suggest, I’d quite like a day off.
andgarod
Please do take a day or several away
Was there not a time when you said you would only make 1 post a day
Hope you are able to enjoy your time away from the keyboard
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
andgarod wrote: 26 Oct 2022, 06:37 Please do take a day or several away
Was there not a time when you said you would only make 1 post a day
Hope you are able to enjoy your time away from the keyboard
If people quote my posts, or directly address me I will respond.

For example, if you hadn’t made your needless post above I would not be making this needless reply.
CS85
Si Robin wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 07:50 My season ticket is in block 6 and I'll be converting it to sold later this evening.
Did you manage to get a ticket si?. On their ticket system they have tickets available for block 6,7,8.
Si Robin
I converted my tickets this morning, and haven't had anything to say otherwise.

EDIT - scratch that, I'm officially in Block 5 but where it meets Block 6.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 23:36

What I don’t like is stupidity. And mistaking ‘recognising strengths and weaknesses’ for ‘inconsistency’ is stupidity.

Long is a great CTFC player and his experience and fight is important. But I think he is too slow for CB and is being found out this season after one season too many being played out of position. I’d love to see him play in a different position.

Hussey. Too slow for L1 when we got promoted and the right time to leave. But one of my favourite CTFC players of all time who I never slagged off apart from mentioning his declining pace. Was the best left back in L2 when he was with us and probably would have him ahead of Victory in my all time eleven. One of the best characters and personalities we have had. His personal story is inspiring for many.

Boyle (pace, giving ball away, heart palps when passing across the back line) is the same as Tozer. Part of the best CTFC ever, winning the league, and Boyle captaining us to the highest ever finish. Those achievements speak for themselves. That doesn’t mean I have to ignore the limitations of the game or pretend I wasn’t worried whenever the ball went in their direction.

That’s all there is too it. Hopefully explains enough that you don’t get angry and have a go about it as like you suggest, I’d quite like a day off.
And once again we’re treated to an essay waffling on about God-knows what that has very little to do with my original post. You mention stupidity - I’d politely suggest it may be an idea for you to re-read my original post on this thread and reflect on how you’ve managed to get to this stage.

No anger here, simply bewilderment at some of your strangely irrational responses to being pulled up for constant insults of honest players and subsequent diatribes of spin and BS to twist your way out of it. Calm down, take a chill pill, relax, it’s just a game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 10:43

And once again we’re treated to an essay waffling on about God-knows what that has very little to do with my original post. You mention stupidity - I’d politely suggest it may be an idea for you to re-read my original post on this thread and reflect on how you’ve managed to get to this stage.

No anger here, simply bewilderment at some of your strangely irrational responses to being pulled up for constant insults of honest players and subsequent diatribes of spin and BS to twist your way out of it. Calm down, take a chill pill, relax, it’s just a game.
I have never said Tozer wasn’t honest nor have i insulted him. Just criticised his ability on the ball.

I am chill and relaxed - my long posts are just to try and calm you down. It obviously bothers you else you wouldn’t the need to “pull up” my straight forward comments.

Looking back to your and my original posts and how we got here. I made a joke about Tozer which you didn’t like. So I clarified I think he was a good player who made frequent mistakes who in my view isn’t League One level. We could have left it at that several posts ago - but you seemed to get more and more wound up and making personal attacks (rather than just differing opinions), hence me making longer replies to explain further.

Can we please call it a day and agree to disagree? I believe Tozer was good player who made frequent mistakes who in my view isn’t League One level. You perhaps don’t believe that. Let’s just move on.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 11:14

I have never said Tozer wasn’t honest nor have i insulted him. Just criticised his ability on the ball.

I am chill and relaxed - my long posts are just to try and calm you down. It obviously bothers you else you wouldn’t the need to “pull up” my straight forward comments.

Looking back to your and my original posts and how we got here. I made a joke about Tozer which you didn’t like. So I clarified I think he was a good player who made frequent mistakes who in my view isn’t League One level. We could have left it at that several posts ago - but you seemed to get more and more wound up and making personal attacks (rather than just differing opinions), hence me making longer replies to explain further.

Can we please call it a day and agree to disagree? I believe Tozer was good player who made frequent mistakes who in my view isn’t League One level. You perhaps don’t believe that. Let’s just move on.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are these ‘throwaway comments’ or should they be taken seriously?!

There’s nothing to disagree on - you made a series of comments over a period of time on many different threads and I called you out on it. That’s it, nothing more to it than that. Quite why you’re typing endless lengthy responses twisting and turning only you know but then there is previous form I guess.

Interested to know where I’ve made a ‘personal attack’ by the way.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 17:39

There’s nothing to disagree on - you made a series of comments over a period of time on many different threads and I called you out on it. That’s it, nothing more to it than that. Quite why you’re typing endless lengthy responses twisting and turning only you know but then there is previous form I guess.

“Irrational…BS” are attacks on personal character.

Thanks for explaining. I must say I am not sure what you are “calling out”. As you say, I have given my opinion on players over time on different threads. That’s the point of a forum, surely? By all means offer a different opinion or have a discussion, but why the need to “call out” an individual? Play the ball not the man.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 19:09

Thanks for explaining. I must say I am not sure what you are “calling out”. As you say, I have given my opinion on players over time on different threads. That’s the point of a forum, surely? By all means offer a different opinion or have a discussion, but why the need to “call out” an individual? Play the ball not the man.
If you haven’t got it by now there is no hope. Just to explain it again I called you out on your constant sniping remarks about certain players, nothing more than that and definitely no personal attacks. I considered your posts to be BS and irrational.

In return you’ve implied that I don’t understand nuance, am stupid and also that I’m angry, comments that are definitely closer to a personal attack then anything I’ve written here.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 22:47
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 19:09

If you haven’t got it by now there is no hope. Just to explain it again I called you out on your constant sniping remarks about certain players, nothing more than that and definitely no personal attacks. I considered your posts to be BS and irrational.

In return you’ve implied that I don’t understand nuance, am stupid and also that I’m angry, comments that are definitely closer to a personal attack then anything I’ve written here.
Apologies for the insults and attacks on you. They were unnecessary.

But as for opinions on players, they are what they are. If Tozer, Boyle or any other player come up in conversation I will probably give my opinion on them whether positive or negative. And naturally that will mean commenting more on the players which are talked about more often. That’s the point of a forum. You may call it sniping, others may say it is discussion. Some may want to discuss, you may want to “call out”. That’s all fine. So please can we leave it there (until next time at least!).