Duff Watch

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 13:31 Any chance we could not stop the obsession with Duff and Wright?
Not time to move on?
It’s freedom of speech. Some people want to talk about it.

You don’t have to read the thread. The thread title is fairly explanatory so you could just not open the thread?
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 14:17
Ihearye wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 13:31 Any chance we could not stop the obsession with Duff and Wright?
Not time to move on?
It’s freedom of speech. Some people want to talk about it.

You don’t have to read the thread. The thread title is fairly explanatory so you could just not open the thread?
Freedom of speech not universal then it would seem.
Si Robin
Whilst I agree everyone has a right to talk about what they want, I do agree with Ihearye in that the fascination with everything Duff does now is a bit.....strange.

I don't remember reading every time Steve Cotterill farted after he left us for Stoke.
Shade
Si Robin wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 14:34 Whilst I agree everyone has a right to talk about what they want, I do agree with Ihearye in that the fascination with everything Duff does now is a bit.....strange.

I don't remember reading every time Steve Cotterill farted after he left us for Stoke.
Were internet football forums a thing in 2003? I'm not sure, too long ago :lol:

As much as I don't care what Duff is doing now (apart from losing at Leeds the other night), at least someone is saying something on here. It seems pretty dead lately, even after the win.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 15:13
Si Robin wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 14:34 Whilst I agree everyone has a right to talk about what they want, I do agree with Ihearye in that the fascination with everything Duff does now is a bit.....strange.

Were internet football forums a thing in 2003? I'm not sure, too long ago :lol:

As much as I don't care what Duff is doing now (apart from losing at Leeds the other night), at least someone is saying something on here. It seems pretty dead lately, even after the win.
Careful now. You will be starting Ben 4 off again
Warwickshire Robin
I don't see what is strange about it? Football fans talking about football topics on a Football Fans forum? I thought that was what this was for?!

Maybe it should be moved to the 'Other Footy' heading but speaking for myself, Duff is a club legend who I am fascinated in seeing how is getting on especially as I still think it was a strange decision to join Barnsley. I don't think this kind of platform even existed in 2002 when Cotterill left for Stoke so that argument doesn't really make much sense to me either.
paperboy
Not time to move on?

Pls forgive me! 😀
It's over a month since I posted on the topic so I'm not sure that's being obsessed.
Anyway it's given you a chance to make another grumpy post (which you're perfectly entitled to do of course).
Let's hope for a win tomorrow and then we can have a nice smiley weekend.
Robin
This forum was definitely going back when Cotterill was manager, I think it was created (by Nesty) during our conference winning season.
Horteng
Personally I like to continue to follow Michael and will follow his career what ever happens. Doesn't make me obsessed
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 17:17 Personally I like to continue to follow Michael and will follow his career what ever happens. Doesn't make me obsessed
Me too. Even when he was playing at Burnley it was good to see what he was up to.
paperboy
With 2 defeats in 4 days against Morecambe and Lincoln, Duffo has suddenly gone from hero to zero.
Duff out!

Fickle football fans huh.

Anyway let's hope Barnsley thrash FGR on Saturday.
Wonder who'll last the longest,MD or Wade?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote: 26 Oct 2022, 09:22 With 2 defeats in 4 days against Morecambe and Lincoln, Duffo has suddenly gone from hero to zero.
Duff out!

I’d day Wade. Anything less than promotion is failure for Barnsley, whereas relegation is not a surprise for us.
Broadway Brian
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
paperboy wrote: 26 Oct 2022, 09:22 With 2 defeats in 4 days against Morecambe and Lincoln, Duffo has suddenly gone from hero to zero.
Duff out!

I’d day Wade. Anything less than promotion is failure for Barnsley, whereas relegation is not a surprise for us.
It may not be a surprise but it would be a failure. The manager and the players would have failed if they get relegated this season.

Budget, small club etc is not an excuse. Failure.

Hate that mentality.
Anteros
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 05:46
Duff out!

The impression I had was a season of rebuild for barsnely and duff. In and around the play offs maybe. Didnt they lose some of their best players and have they strenghthend greatly???
longmover
Anteros wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 11:14
Duff out!

The impression I had was a season of rebuild for barsnely and duff. In and around the play offs maybe. Didnt they lose some of their best players and have they strenghthend greatly???
Yep they had to generate funds so sold their 'best' players, Barnsley need some stability this season then push on next season. if they get anywhere near the playoffs this season its a bonus. Surely Barnsley fans want some stability?
bigdavejambo
longmover wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 12:36
Anteros wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 11:14

Yep they had to generate funds so sold their 'best' players, Barnsley need some stability this season then push on next season. if they get anywhere near the playoffs this season its a bonus. Surely Barnsley fans want some stability?

depends if they have a patient or twitchy board
Nesty
Robin wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 16:14 This forum was definitely going back when Cotterill was manager, I think it was created (by Nesty) during our conference winning season.
I cant remember exactly when I first launched a CTFC forum, and a very basic off the shelf "unofficial" CTFC Cheltenham Town Website - both of which I modestly add were before the official website and later on this forum.
Artemis
Either 95/96, or 96/97. It was hosted on thisengland's domain.
art vandalay
I‘d have put it later, maybe 1998 when we won the Trophy. Before that, the internet was pretty much the domain of only techies. Before the forum began there was something like an email distribution list - seems pretty basic looking back, but you don‘t have to go back too far when the majority had neither the internet nor a mobile phone.
ctfc-fan
Way back machine puts this domain at 2004.
asl
Many other forums (fora?) came and went in the meantime. For all it's detractors, you can't diss it's longevity!

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Horteng
Duff out!

Why such a negative mentality? If thats the mindset we may as well give up now and start in L2 next season. We are not a Southern League club competing in L1. Granted we are punching slightly above our weight but only by one league I believe.
Nesty
Artemis wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 18:23 Either 95/96, or 96/97. It was hosted on thisengland's domain.
that makes sense
bigdavejambo
Horteng wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 06:36
Duff out!

Why such a negative mentality? If thats the mindset we may as well give up now and start in L2 next season. We are not a Southern League club competing in L1. Granted we are punching slightly above our weight but only by one league I believe.
wonder what Burton, Accrington, Morecambe and FGR fans think about their clubs positions?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 06:36
Duff out!

I said it would not be surprising, not that it is expected.

I expect us to stay up in 14th-19th place and will not be surprised if we stay up. Nor will I be surprised if we go down. There are ten or so teams who it would not be a surprise to see go down.

It would be a a surprise if we got into the play offs, and top half would exceed my expectations.

Hope that is more clear.
paperboy
expect us to stay up in 14th-19th place and will not be surprised if we stay up. Nor will I be surprised if we go down. There are ten or so teams who it would not be a surprise to see go down.

It would be a a surprise if we got into the play offs, and top half would exceed my expectations.

Hope that is more clear.

Totally with RCS on that. As four get relegated out of a fairly predictable ten,then we have a 40% chance of the drop....or a 60% chance of staying up.😀
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 10:38 expect us to stay up in 14th-19th place and will not be surprised if we stay up. Nor will I be surprised if we go down. There are ten or so teams who it would not be a surprise to see go down.

Hope that is more clear.

Totally with RCS on that. As four get relegated out of a fairly predictable ten,then we have a 40% chance of the drop....or a 60% chance of staying up.😀
Good way to look at it!
Wellwisher
The prediction site FiveThirtyEight has CTFC to finish in 20th place on 50 points, ahead of Accy (48 points), Burton (41), FGR (41) and Morecambe (38).

This is based on "form" i.e. xG and xA, plus points already gained this season.

In purely "form" terms you're currently rated 19th, all of which gives a 32% chance of relegation, or 2/1 against.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/so ... eague-one/
(For Form only, click on "SPI" under "Team Rating")

P.S. This being the Duff Watch thread, they have Barnsley to finish 7th on 71 points (Form indicates 8th), with a 28% chance of making the Play Offs, a 12% chance of Promotion, but <1% chance of finishing as Champions.