Cheltenham Town v MK Dons

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Live updates, team news and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/vMKDons
Fuller
Jon Palmer wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 13:10 Live updates, team news and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/vMKDons
George Lloyd up front by himself?
Alf
I hope we’ve learned from last week and go out to attack from the start. We look a better team when we do that.
Shade
Come on Lloydy. Win some flick ons for Broom and Olayinka to run on to and get a goal yourself...
Ben version 4:0
Last ten minutes a game of football broke out! Sercs had a great half, our midfield need to be braver and show for the ball a bit more

One goal will win it
HamTown
Sercs and Perry doing well,Broom nonexistent

Lloyd doing well considering how isolated he is

Not sure where 8 first half shots came from?
Alf
Time to get Brown on I think.
Motm was Sercs or the keeper, imho.

We're not good enough to play each week with ten men...broom is just like he was when here before. Appalling

Two clean sheets but I don't think 4 points from those last three games is enough...time will tell
Also, I understand why they play as they do, building from the back, as there is no out ball and the midfield don't want it. But when we have the ball in the opposition third it's insanity to 'reset' by getting the ball back to the keeper. It's like pep and klopp and the whole 'press' has passed them by
Nesty
credit where its due , there were some good performances from a few players who have been criticised, notably Southwood and Norton, and our patched up team at least made a fist of it
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sounds like Norton was close to scoring.

Could turn out to be a good point. Another clean sheet and unbeaten game.
Shade
Perry really needs to pass quicker. The number of times he wanted two, three, four more touches instead of just passing to a man in a bit of space, and then usually had to turn and go backwards because the opportunity had gone, was quite infuriating. Broom was virtually anonymous.

0-0 but we have to be realistic, not many teams in this division, especially our end of it, have a third, fourth or fifth striker who scores goals. A few players not very sharp at all but these things happen.
Sprout Picker
Not much going forward but looked fairly solid at the back. Taylor, Freestone and Long all decent. Just wish we’d move the ball a little faster at times but hopefully it’ll improve when Alfie and Dan are back.

Few idiots in the PRE booing WE at the end, not sure that was called for.
Broadway Brian
Personally thought Lloyd was least effective player on the pitch. Such poor quality unfortunately. Really don’t get the idea of him up front by himself.

Even if WE thinks Charlie Brown is made of glass, give us another 55 mins of him. Football intelligence, the ball sticks and he brings other in.

Two poor teams today but will take another clean sheet and on to the next.
CTFCfan99
Some of the Twitter/Facebook reaction to today is just insane. Seen people calling it the worst they've *ever* seen (clearly weren't around in 08/09 or 14/15), lots calling for Wade's head, many complaining we had no attacking threat even though Alfie and Dan are out. It's as if they expect us to have a 20 goal striker to bring off the bench every week.

Don't get me wrong, some of the performances haven't been good and there are definitely concerns, but at the end of the day it's another clean sheet and point on the board against a team who'll likely finish a lot higher than they are now. We're also as close to 10th as we are to relegation at the moment. Some of the panicking is a bit premature imo.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 17:44 Not much going forward but looked fairly solid at the back. Taylor, Freestone and Long all decent. Just wish we’d move the ball a little faster at times but hopefully it’ll improve when Alfie and Dan are back.

That’s a shame to hear.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 22:07 Some of the Twitter/Facebook reaction to today is just insane. Seen people calling it the worst they've *ever* seen (clearly weren't around in 08/09 or 14/15), lots calling for Wade's head, many complaining we had no attacking threat even though Alfie and Dan are out. It's as if they expect us to have a 20 goal striker to bring off the bench every week.

Don't get me wrong, some of the performances haven't been good and there are definitely concerns, but at the end of the day it's another clean sheet and point on the board against a team who'll likely finish a lot higher than they are now. We're also as close to 10th as we are to relegation at the moment. Some of the panicking is a bit premature imo.
As JP said in the podcast, some fans have made their mind up and gone over the precipice. I doubt anything will change their minds now.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 22:26
Sprout Picker wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 17:44 Not much going forward but looked fairly solid at the back. Taylor, Freestone and Long all decent. Just wish we’d move the ball a little faster at times but hopefully it’ll improve when Alfie and Dan are back.

That’s a shame to hear.
Yes it was. Hopefully just a few knuckle-draggers and there were far more people applauding. It wasn’t anybody I recognised though it was my first home game of the season so maybe some other posters can confirm whether these individuals have been at other games.

WE correctly alluded to a high turnover of players and staff prior to this season and it has obviously set us back slightly but whilst we’re not great, we’re not a million miles away either. If we can get through this season and survive the younger players should gain a lot from the experience and improve for the future. A decent couple of additions in the window could make all the difference along with the return of Alfie.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 23:17
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 22:26

That’s a shame to hear.
Yes it was. Hopefully just a few knuckle-draggers and there were far more people applauding. It wasn’t anybody I recognised though it was my first home game of the season so maybe some other posters can confirm whether these individuals have been at other games.

WE correctly alluded to a high turnover of players and staff prior to this season and it has obviously set us back slightly but whilst we’re not great, we’re not a million miles away either. If we can get through this season and survive the younger players should gain a lot from the experience and improve for the future. A decent couple of additions in the window could make all the difference along with the return of Alfie.
Couldn’t agree more. Maybe a couple of them here replying to JP: https://mobile.twitter.com/JonPalmerSpo ... 1867484160

“Doesn’t tell the whole story” seems to be their line. I assume if we finish 14th or 15th they will still say the same.
Anteros
We are missing our 2 best strikers so we are currently lacking goals. We can all see that, but at least we are defensively organised and are hard to score against. We are doing something right.
Si Robin
Some fans are simply not going to accept Wade now, unless we start battering teams we have no right to batter. The responses to JP's status is the case in point.

It's the same with the argument that Wade took over our best ever team. Then when it's pointed out that he lost the likes of Boyle, Wright, Pollock and Etete people are doubling down and saying that, actually, they weren't that good for us and the replacements are just as good, if not better.

Taking those four players - Freestone has done well in replacing Boyle, but he doesn't have that threat in the opposition box, Wright is almost irreplaceable - I like Perry but he's not on Wright's level, Taylor is better than Pollock, Nlundulu can't hold a candle to Etete (despite what statistics might tell you) and Etete didn't get stupid yellow cards.

As for yesterday, I felt for Lloyd - he tried to feed off scraps, but he just doesn't have the quality to be a League 1 forward. Wade's treatment of Brown is completely baffling after how he played on Tuesday - I'm not buying the game time issue anymore. Norton I'm just not sure about.

We seemed too tentative yesterday, and a number of times we seemed to break, get it into the middle then slow down. In the first half we had a throw-in and players were walking around and not trying to get into space. I thought MK were there for the taking, but we seemed scared to have a go at them at times - it reminded me of when we lost to FGR in their first season in League 2. At no point did we put their defence and keeper under any real pressure. With that being said, save for Eisa's big chance at the end, I don't think Dons looked like winning either - a sign of just how good our defence is at the moment. We've now got 6 clean sheets this season in 16 games - last season we got 8 all year.

I get the disappointment regarding going forward yesterday, but we really should appreciate just how much better we are defensively. It's not exciting, by any stretch, but it's effective.
The issue is - although the team is statistically similar to last season we've lost those attacking, exciting players. Calamity-boyle hasn't featured for a poor huddersfield, and will drop down to league two in due course. We miss pollocks leadership but the defence is about the same.

But take out wright, Etete, Blair, may then you can see why it's not as good to watch. What a surprise! If only we had a 20 goal striker up our sleeves...said every team outside the top six in the division
slinky_dog
I was very surprised at the aggression shown by a very small number of fans at the end of yesterday’s game. It’s not helped by the fact that 80% of fans vanish at the final whistle, so harder for the 20% to drown out the odd idiot. The look of astonishment and disbelief on Southwood’s face at the end summed it up perfectly.

I actually enjoyed the game. A neutral would have hated it. Yes, it didn’t have fireworks, but it was so finely balanced, it had a high intensity for me with 3 points potentially at stake. Always felt there was a single goal in it, but never came. (Probably thankfully).

I would agree that Lloyd is not the answer, and yet I suspect he did what he was asked to do. He was physical and did often win the first header but it never seems to come to anything.

It’s was always going to be a long, hard season. We are doing no better or worse than expected. Whilst we are 2 points behind where we were last season, last year we had an horrendous December and January. We need to avoid a repeat of that.
Garby74
Well put Si.

Baffling that Charlie didn't start....or Norton ahead of Lloyd.

They were there for the taking today...the fans could see that.

The ponderous build up is really frustrating.

On a few occasions TP signaled he didn't want the ball off Callum ...so he set off (and got caught) on his own!

I think Wades honest interview might have shed light on team selection and performance.

We need a central midfielder just like Calum Wright in January. Or better still Wrighty back!

I thought James played well yesterday...should left him on and subbed Broom in my opinion.

This season going to the wire.

I want Wade to succeed.

This season was always going to be tougher. Just ask Duff!
Benctfc
As I said after Tuesday this season is going to be a hard watch and any wins wont be pretty. Problem Wade has if you get results people will accept it but any bad run and it will be a stick to beat him with. By the way the football under Duff was never that exciting with in my opinion just for some context.

I feel Wade has settled for trying to grind out results until January and then hopefully reshaping the squad and bringing in a couple of attacking players.
Nesty
Garby74 wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 08:18 Well put Si.

Baffling that Charlie didn't start....or Norton ahead of Lloyd.

They were there for the taking today...the fans could see that.

The ponderous build up is really frustrating.

On a few occasions TP signaled he didn't want the ball off Callum ...so he set off (and got caught) on his own!

I think Wades honest interview might have shed light on team selection and performance.

We need a central midfielder just like Calum Wright in January. Or better still Wrighty back!

I thought James played well yesterday...should left him on and subbed Broom in my opinion.

This season going to the wire.

I want Wade to succeed.

This season was always going to be tougher. Just ask Duff!
spot on
Broadway Brian
Si Robin wrote:Some fans are simply not going to accept Wade now, unless we start battering teams we have no right to batter. The responses to JP's status is the case in point.

It's the same with the argument that Wade took over our best ever team. Then when it's pointed out that he lost the likes of Boyle, Wright, Pollock and Etete people are doubling down and saying that, actually, they weren't that good for us and the replacements are just as good, if not better.

Taking those four players - Freestone has done well in replacing Boyle, but he doesn't have that threat in the opposition box, Wright is almost irreplaceable - I like Perry but he's not on Wright's level, Taylor is better than Pollock, Nlundulu can't hold a candle to Etete (despite what statistics might tell you) and Etete didn't get stupid yellow cards.

As for yesterday, I felt for Lloyd - he tried to feed off scraps, but he just doesn't have the quality to be a League 1 forward. Wade's treatment of Brown is completely baffling after how he played on Tuesday - I'm not buying the game time issue anymore. Norton I'm just not sure about.

We seemed too tentative yesterday, and a number of times we seemed to break, get it into the middle then slow down. In the first half we had a throw-in and players were walking around and not trying to get into space. I thought MK were there for the taking, but we seemed scared to have a go at them at times - it reminded me of when we lost to FGR in their first season in League 2. At no point did we put their defence and keeper under any real pressure. With that being said, save for Eisa's big chance at the end, I don't think Dons looked like winning either - a sign of just how good our defence is at the moment. We've now got 6 clean sheets this season in 16 games - last season we got 8 all year.

I get the disappointment regarding going forward yesterday, but we really should appreciate just how much better we are defensively. It's not exciting, by any stretch, but it's effective.
Utter sense. Thank you.

The defence is looking so much better and Southwood’s performances seem more assured since the new guy came in.

Bafflement is the key word re Brown. Given Elliott’s physical stature as a player, it’s an utter mystery.

One thing worth comparing is the squad now to the squad at this time last season, rather than the end of the season. Moore/Duff pulled some wonder strokes in January which increased the average quality level of the squad significantly (coupled with The Boy recovering fitness).

The likes of Vassell, Joseph, Norton and Crowley (his choice but no surprise) all replaced. Time for Mickey Moore to earn his new contract.

We don’t need a 20 goal striker - we need a forward that can control a ball under pressure, make it stick, keep their defenders honest and bring the midfield in. Etete was a dream for this - ask Alfie.
Si Robin
I'll say this, for all the faults on recruitment in the summer, Mickey's record in January over the last couple of years is outstanding. Wright, Sam Smith, Etete, Owen Evans (original loan) and Charlie Raglan were all January loan signings.
little mo
Si Robin wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 10:02 I'll say this, for all the faults on recruitment in the summer, Mickey's record in January over the last couple of years is outstanding. Wright, Sam Smith, Etete, Owen Evans (original loan) and Charlie Raglan were all January loan signings.
Gulp. I just looked at the fixtures for Jan/Feb. Lets hope he has more than a few good ones up his sleeve.
CTFCfan99
I wonder if Etete could be a loan option in Jan, not getting any minutes for Cardiff. Maybe a bit optimistic....
shevates
I think Si Robins posting is a good assessment of the situation at the club.
I have been saying from day one we lack quality in depth through out the squad. Our best starting eleven can compete for a mid table finish, but with injuries already to our two strikers we are under pressure to get those results against the lower half of the table.
When we were told by JP a striker would be arriving this room got excited, how deflated did it get when it was announced it was Chritian Norton a bench warmer from last season to sit with Lloyd, not aspiring one bit. I admire there effort but we need more than that. Charlie Browns exclusion baffles me, to me he seems better and has scored at league one level.
As for other signings Caleb Taylor has impressed most fans as I feel has Jackson. The likes of Adshead, Ferry, and Olayinka have been injury prone so still unsure on those three, Perry has been ok and Broom has been poor. Tom Bradbury is a mystery to me as is the signing of James Taylor.
Has our director of football got it right ? a mixed bag I feel. Id rather he got it right in August than try to rectify it in January.

Most would agree were in division 2 of league one and results against teams in our division are important recently weve played Britol Rovers, Morecambe, MK Dons at home and Burton away all below us when we played them weve come away with 4 points. Not what any of us wanted. Think thats a concern to those who showed their frustrations yesterday
Alf
One of the notable things on Saturday was that we managed to get more players into the Dons penalty area and supplied an acceptable number of crosses. Unfortunately we could not produce the quality to deal with such crosses and most of them were either cleared or ran out of play. Also unfortunately, we’re not blessed with tall strikers (Dan possibly the exception) so playing high crosses into the box is not creating much of a problem for our opponents. We need to use the ball better in the box by finding players in space.
Nesty
I did wonder although am not an advocate of square pegs, whether it may have been a good idea to play Raglan up front ?
Broadway Brian
Nesty wrote:I did wonder although am not an advocate of square pegs, whether it may have been a good idea to play Raglan up front ?
It’s a ridiculous idea and one that I suggested to my lad also!! Great minds.

He may well have held it up and kept their defenders busy.
Shade
https://twitter.com/SkyBetLeagueOne/sta ... 945A&s=19

Southwood is in the League 1 team of the week.