sky coverage

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
Why no CTFC old boy in the studio

No mention of cheltenham until 13th minute
They didnt even know the players names
ie May passed to a cheltenham player ( clue name on back of the shirt)
After Alfie scored they started to swing towards CTFC

The expert lady could not even rember Southwoods name even though they were reviewing the penalties

Come on little Cheltenham
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Maybe I had low expectations but I thought it was decent enough, apart from they obviously had no idea who Keena was. ‘Record signing’ ought to have been an easy one for the commentator but no mention of that…yet they mentioned MacDonald was ex-Torquay and would therefore be a Plymouth rival if he came on to replace Southwood.
andgarod
Did the commentators mention Perry and only just managed to Mebtion Sercombe
No mention of Ferry
No homework done for Sky Main event
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
andgarod wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 22:48 Did the commentators mention Perry and only just managed to Mebtion Sercombe
No mention of Ferry
No homework done for Sky Main event
They mentioned Sercombe more than most. His two defeats in Trophy finals mentioned early on, and then again several times and in second half more detail saying how he scored in one of the finals. Obligatory pointing out he was ex-Exeter as well several times to try and big up the Plymouth rivalry.
Fuller
Poor old Wade was almost lost for words in the post match interview :|
Shade
No idea why the Sheff Utd women's player was there. She has no experience of League One, the EFL or the EFL Trophy, and she's not a top female player who knows the game inside out. Could have at least got a Robiness in if they need to fill quotas...
CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 23:04 No idea why the Sheff Utd women's player was there. She has no experience of League One, the EFL or the EFL Trophy, and she's not a top female player who knows the game inside out. Could have at least got a Robiness in if they need to fill quotas...
They need a woman on every panel these days for their diversity quotas. Doesn't matter who they are or how relevant their experience is, any one will do
andgarod
Wade looked knackered
Just imagine having your betting slip on 100 -1 chance ripped up because the jockey was disqualified and then asked how you feel on live TV

He set the team up considering his lack of options got a reaction from them
He did OK now go again 15 times 45 points to play for
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 22:57 Poor old Wade was almost lost for words in the post match interview :|
Looked like he’d shed a few tears. A real shame to see. Yet some still say he has no passion.

Getting us to our first national cup semi final as an EFL club is still a record breaking achievement and something to be proud of.

I think he’s gutted for the players first and foremost and the fans as well. It is clear how much he cares.

Mission League One survival and Wembley 2024 starts now!
Horteng
Fuller wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 22:57 Poor old Wade was almost lost for words in the post match interview :|
Thats normal Wade come win lose or draw :lol:
PittvillePundit
Drew a football match.

Lost a penalty shoot out.

Gutted.

Proud of them and I hope they are proud of themselves.
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 23:10
Looked like he’d shed a few tears. A real shame to see. Yet some still say he has no passion.

Getting us to our first national cup semi final as an EFL club is still a record breaking achievement and something to be proud of.

I think he’s gutted for the players first and foremost and the fans as well. It is clear how much he cares.

Mission League One survival and Wembley 2024 starts now!
Anyone who saw him walking down to the tunnel last night will tell you that he's not passionless and was absolutely gutted.

Same goes for every player. I thought Rags was going to break down in front of us.

So much for a Mickey Mouse cup.
little mo
Plymouth goalie was bang average all night then saves some pens and gets SkyBet man of match. Funny old game.
longmover
Most lower league coverage is half ar5ed unless its an ex prem side playing. Can imagine the Bolton game having a more professional approach this evening.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 23:04 No idea why the Sheff Utd women's player was there. She has no experience of League One, the EFL or the EFL Trophy, and she's not a top female player who knows the game inside out. Could have at least got a Robiness in if they need to fill quotas...
Now that is a fair comment, talk about being a token. Can't relate to any part of that match apart from a ball and a pitch
Robin

Yes, sadly a result of daft diversity qoutas. Surely they could find more women who understand football better than her. Michelle Owen is a great one from what I've seen of her.
Broadway Brian
I was stood in the left side staircase above the shielding wall to the “tunnel” so could see the players heading in.

Broom was clearly very pissed off and took his top off and threw it as he stormed into the building. Nice to see some emotion.

It was an emotive night.
Red Duke
little mo wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 09:25 Plymouth goalie was bang average all night then saves some pens and gets SkyBet man of match. Funny old game.
Especially as he was at fault for May's goal. His poor clearance allowed CTFC to regain possesion.
everyman
She does appear on the EFL Highlights show sometimes,just another PC enforced intervention.I reckon she works in a chip-shop in Sheffield for her real job ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Courtney Sweetman-Kirk is on the rotation of pundits, co-commentators and reports for Sky/TalkSport as well as EFL highlights as suggested.

Ours was the fifth game she has worked on in February alone, with the others being Championship games either as pundit on Sky, co-commentator on TalkSport or Soccer Saturday reporter at the ground.

She also presents the EFL Show on TalkSport, and does co-commentary on the World Feed for Premier League and Championship games from time to time.

I assume due to budget/contract reasons Sky/TalkSport just use their contracted EFL commentators and pundits for the PapaJohn’s rather than getting and paying special guests from the clubs.

Mildly annoying to have such generic pundits and low budget studio production but that reflects the status of the competition at the end of the day. Not sure it’s something for people to get so worked up about.
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 11:10 Courtney Sweetman-Kirk is on the rotation of pundits, co-commentators and reports for Sky/TalkSport as well as EFL highlights as suggested.

Ours was the fifth game she has worked on in February alone, with the others being Championship games either as pundit on Sky, co-commentator on TalkSport or Soccer Saturday reporter at the ground.

She also presents the EFL Show on TalkSport, and does co-commentary on the World Feed for Premier League and Championship games from time to time.

I assume due to budget/contract reasons Sky/TalkSport just use their contracted EFL commentators and pundits for the PapaJohn’s rather than getting and paying special guests from the clubs.

Mildly annoying to have such generic pundits and low budget studio production but that reflects the status of the competition at the end of the day. Not sure it’s something for people to get so worked up about.
Are they "getting worked up" about it,or just discussing it?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 15:42
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 11:10 Courtney Sweetman-Kirk is on the rotation of pundits, co-commentators and reports for Sky/TalkSport as well as EFL highlights as suggested.

There’s discussing Sky’s approach to staffing coverage of the Papa John’s Trophy games which is fair enough. And there’s personal attacks about pundits not understanding the game (they do, more than any on here) or saying they must work in a chip shop (they don’t).

Both pundits were equally unrelevant to and as unknowledgeable about Cheltenham Town FC, yet only one is getting the personal attacks. To me that is not a discussion in good faith.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 23 Feb 2023, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 16:31

There’s discussing Sky’s approach to staffing coverage of the Papa John’s Trophy game which is fair enough. And there’s personal attacks about pundits not understanding the game (they do, more than any on here) or saying they must work in a chip shop (they don’t).

Both pundits were equally unrelevant to and as unknowledgeable about Cheltenham Town FC, yet only one is getting the personal attacks. To me that is not a discussion in good faith.
Eloquently expressed RCS.

I thought Jobi Mcanuff was decent as the live summariser.
Ihearye

There’s discussing Sky’s approach to staffing coverage of the Papa John’s Trophy games which is fair enough. And there’s personal attacks about pundits not understanding the game (they do, more than any on here) or saying they must work in a chip shop (they don’t).

Oh get over yourself you pompous a55
little mo

[/quote

I see your point thank you.
paperboy
Ihearye wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 17:07

Oh get over yourself you pompous a55
....and a less than eloquently put opinion.😀
longmover

Valid point.
Shade
The reason only one was being discussed is because the other pundit had played in League One, League Two and the EFL Trophy. Calling anything a "personal attack" is ridiculous. If it was a male player who had never player League football, maybe National League at the best, then I would have said exactly the same. And the fact is, Sky wouldn't have ever employed a non-league male footballer to do the job, because he would have been seen as not qualified enough.
And nobody is getting worked up, it's an observation and a discussion.

I'm all for women's football, I'm a supporter, and call people out with some of the ridiculous things they say online when women's football is brought up. I just don't see why this lady has to be picked to be a pundit on this particular game over dozens of other people who would have no doubt been happy to do it and have more knowledge on either team and the competition, through experience of it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 16:04 The reason only one was being discussed is because the other pundit had played in League One, League Two and the EFL Trophy. Calling anything a "personal attack" is ridiculous. If it was a male player who had never player League football, maybe National League at the best, then I would have said exactly the same. And the fact is, Sky wouldn't have ever employed a non-league male footballer to do the job, because he would have been seen as not qualified enough.
And nobody is getting worked up, it's an observation and a discussion.

I'm all for women's football, I'm a supporter, and call people out with some of the ridiculous things they say online when women's football is brought up. I just don't see why this lady has to be picked to be a pundit on this particular game over dozens of other people who would have no doubt been happy to do it and have more knowledge on either team and the competition, through experience of it.
That’s how punditry works.

Premier League players pundit on EFL and WSL. WSL players pundit on EPL and EFL. EFL players pundit on EPL and WSL. Players from 30 years ago pundit on the modern game when it’s completely different.

I suspect Sky’s decision follows a process a bit like this:
- We have x make and x female pundits contracted on rotation who are former or current EFL and WSL players, each scheduled to do x many games this season.
- Who is available on this day.
- Who needs a game to meet their contract obligations.
- Who meets the budget profile for this particular fixture.

I don’t know if Sky insist on having one man and one woman for every game or not as I don’t have Sky. Maybe they do, maybe they don’t.

If it was up to me I wouldn’t have any ex-players as pundits at all and just have journalists/analysts. But if we are having ex-players then I don’t see a problem with a professional player who covers football league matches and presents the EFL show on TalkSport covering an EFL fixture. Doesn’t mean I don’t disagree that like you I could think of countless other people who would be better.

My personal attack comment was about posts saying she knew nothing about football and must work in a chip shop.

Still, shows how far we have come. Imagine 30 years ago being told some fans were unhappy at the choice of pundit for a national cup semi final on Sky!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hope everyone enjoyed Courtney Sweetman-Kirk on the EFL highlights show when tuning to see what ITV had to say about us.