so what to do

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
In a post Shevates says there is so much wrong
The question is what happens now
Do we go back to be boring Cheltenham looking for 14 0-0
Do we change formation 4-5-1 or something else
Do we change the manager and coaches
1 Russ has never been any good as a caretaker
2Who would guarentee us staying up
3Who would come
4Can we afford to pay them off

Have we identified who can take free kicks and corners and dont say Alfie May

Get in the marines and or sports psychologist

I fully accept everyone having a whinge especially if they paid good money for the trip put in the effort and saw the first half

So we are where we are
Lets have answers to some of those question above

Is Broom the player he was when he left
Why have we got him when 2 other teams in the league didnt want him
Do last seasons tactics work this season

I dont know but what I do know is that there will be football at WR next season as to which league that is a more difficult question
Robin
I don't believe the board intend to do anything, they are almost tone deaf to what the fans think.

It's obvious Wade isn't working out so the smart thing would be to look around and find out what are our options are and who could realistically come in, i.e. put some feelers out there into the market. Then make a quick decision and appointment. What we cannot have is a spell where we sack Wade and appoint Russ as caretaker because I believe we will be weaker for it.

I'm not sure either that the formation is the problem, we've had too many performances where the players have looked lost or they've stood off and conceded soft goals (although that has largely improved as the season has progressed). I do not believe Wade is getting the best out of them though.
little mo
Wait for Oxford to sack Robinson then make a move?
Robin
Robinson plays great football but is he the person you want in a relegation scrap? Don't get me wrong he'd be a great appointment overall but that would be my nagging doubt.

If we look back at the candidates from the summer Ferguson is now in at Posh, Artell is still jobless, who were the others? Graham Alexander potentially?
ctfc-fan
Robin wrote:I don't believe the board intend to do anything, they are almost tone deaf to what the fans think.
I think that pretty harsh. No board is going to want their team to do badly but we’re limited to why we have. They have invested recently in the playing side with Keena who could potentially be a shrewd buy, we just don’t know yet.

We’ve never been a club who has knee jerk reactions with sackings which in my opinion is a good thing. Sacking Wade now, there’s no guarantee either way what would happen and if we went down it would be people saying Wade would’ve kept us up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 09:33 Wait for Oxford to sack Robinson then make a move?
They made move.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OUFCOfficial ... 7682171904
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 10:54
Robin wrote:I don't believe the board intend to do anything, they are almost tone deaf to what the fans think.
I think that pretty harsh. No board is going to want their team to do badly but we’re limited to why we have. They have invested recently in the playing side with Keena who could potentially be a shrewd buy, we just don’t know yet.

We’ve never been a club who has knee jerk reactions with sackings which in my opinion is a good thing. Sacking Wade now, there’s no guarantee either way what would happen and if we went down it would be people saying Wade would’ve kept us up.
Arsenal the most successful of a ‘tone deaf’ board….ignored the weekly rants on 606 from Arsenal fans about Arteta and now look. Had they listened to the reactionary mob rather than maintaining focus on the longer term bigger picture Arsenal would probably have had 3 managers since with the usual cycle of instability and short-term decisions and not be anywhere close to top of the league.

Some people may think it is bad for the Board to stay aloof above fan noise, but I think it is commendable in our case, and I think the Board will keep their focus on what they are doing. It’s the Board’s job to keep calm heads when those around are losing theirs.
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 11:11
little mo wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 09:33 Wait for Oxford to sack Robinson then make a move?
They made move.

Right talk to Robinson, NOW.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 11:31
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 11:11
They made move.

Even though he is doing a much much worse job than Wade?
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 13:05
I do not want to be rude but i will be,you are living in cloud cuckoo land. I will call it now. Stay as we are and we will go down.
Robin
If I were on the board I would be talking with Graham Alexandra, Karl Robinson, the Cowleys, Grant McCann and anyone else who has some experience/success in league one to see if they would be interested in taking on the job. Then we can move quickly if things continue and not be stuck waiting for applications/looking around.
little mo
Robin wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 13:12 If I were on the board I would be talking with Graham Alexandra, Karl Robinson, the Cowleys, Grant McCann and anyone else who has some experience/success in league one to see if they would be interested in taking on the job. Then we can move quickly if things continue and not be stuck waiting for applications/looking around.
Some of those names yes,but Alexandra no way or Artell who you mentioned before. But look at our remaining fixtures and you will see that it's probably too late.
Robin
Some of them won't want to come here Mo, others will but my point was more look at the options now don't wait until we make the decision. If we find out say the Cowleys are willing to come maybe we make the decision sooner, however if only Artell is interested maybe we want to stick with Wade longer.

I don't believe it's too late at all right now, we actually have a relatively favourible final two months of the season and don't need a huge points return to stay up. It's probably too late for FGR but the of the six or seven clubs above them can all stay up with a reasonable run of points.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 13:08
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 13:05

I do not want to be rude but i will be,you are living in cloud cuckoo land. I will call it now. Stay as we are and we will go down.
No evidence to suggest that, it’s just your opinion. I’d call that the instability of changing manager would make it more of a certainty we will go down, but that is just my opinion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 13:24
Robin wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 13:12 If I were on the board I would be talking with Graham Alexandra, Karl Robinson, the Cowleys, Grant McCann and anyone else who has some experience/success in league one to see if they would be interested in taking on the job. Then we can move quickly if things continue and not be stuck waiting for applications/looking around.
Some of those names yes,but Alexandra no way or Artell who you mentioned before. But look at our remaining fixtures and you will see that it's probably too late.
Our remaining fixtures are much more favourable than the curren run of three games. Not too late at all!

We aren’t even in the relegation area, so it is not like we are running out of games to catch others. They are running out of games to catch us!
shevates
Im sure when I looked at the league table we were 2 points clear of the bottom 4 not 12, no need to panic mainwaring
Ben version 4:0
Karl Robinson?!?!?! Good lord I’ve heard it all now. He’s done an appalling job at Oxford, he been sacked for doing so, is only 3 points ahead of us despite massively more resource etc. I wonder what people think sometimes :lol:

I’m going to say it - this is mark Yates all over again. Some fans never learn. The Yates out brigade put so much pressure on the board that they sacked him which led directly to our relegation. Direct cause and effect.

Will we stay up now? Goodness knows, it’s sport and we’re clearly playing above our natural status. Will bringing in a new, failing manager make that any better? A quick look at the circus on the hill suggests not
Ben version 4:0
I’ll add - would I change manager over summer? I think I probably would. If (massive IF) we are going to stay in the league we’re going to have to do something different long term. We’re just waiting for the season we go down at the moment. But what that looks like is strategic, long term and revolutionary. Picking the only manager that’s on worse form than ours for the rest of the season it is not
Robin
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 15:48 Karl Robinson?!?!?! Good lord I’ve heard it all now. He’s done an appalling job at Oxford, he been sacked for doing so, is only 3 points ahead of us despite massively more resource etc. I wonder what people think sometimes :lol:

I’m going to say it - this is mark Yates all over again. Some fans never learn. The Yates out brigade put so much pressure on the board that they sacked him which led directly to our relegation. Direct cause and effect.

Will we stay up now? Goodness knows, it’s sport and we’re clearly playing above our natural status. Will bringing in a new, failing manager make that any better? A quick look at the circus on the hill suggests not
Appalling job really? He had them in them in the play offs his first two seasons there, just missed out last year. Consistently brought through players who were sold on for big fees. :roll: You seem certain he's done such a bad job this season but can't recognise that Wade hasn't done a good job this season either with the players at his disposal.
Robin
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 15:55 I’ll add - would I change manager over summer? I think I probably would. If (massive IF) we are going to stay in the league we’re going to have to do something different long term. We’re just waiting for the season we go down at the moment. But what that looks like is strategic, long term and revolutionary. Picking the only manager that’s on worse form than ours for the rest of the season it is not
That's more sensible. I fully agree the next appointment needs to be the right one, I definitely don't want to see a scenario where Wade is sacked and we are left with Milton as temp manager whilst we begin the recruitment process. Equally we don't want someone like Buckle or Allen to come in, rip things up and make it worse. We need someone with experience who has a track record at this level of beating the odds. Likely that person will have been sacked but that's where we sit in the food chain. Graham Alexander or Grant McCann seem the obvious choices right now, Appleton or Robinson could be good in the summer assuming any of them are interested (some might be others probably not you'd think but we need to at least inquire).
Horteng
I say stick with Wade and hope for the best..... But he needs a bloody big rocket up his backside from the board and then needs to relay that to the players.
Si Robin
Some of the names on here are la-la land surely.

Graham Alexander hasn't managed south of Scunthorpe, Grant McCann will be looking for a job at the top end of League 1 (Given he's never managed lower) - I'm really not buying that he loves the club either, the Cowleys - ha, Karl Robinson doesn't work anywhere without a decent budget (he's also a #$£!) and I don't see Appleton stepping down either.
CS85
Agree 100 percent with si.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 19:18 Some of the names on here are la-la land surely.

Graham Alexander hasn't managed south of Scunthorpe, Grant McCann will be looking for a job at the top end of League 1 (Given he's never managed lower) - I'm really not buying that he loves the club either, the Cowleys - ha, Karl Robinson doesn't work anywhere without a decent budget (he's also a #$£!) and I don't see Appleton stepping down either.
Serious question Si would do you suggest the board sound out if not the above names? Not knocking you genuinely curious. We need to becareful what we wish for and hope the board don't make another appointment who is worse than Wade such as a Matt Taylor, Keith Curle or Jerry Gill. Going for an unproven U-23 coach would also be extremely risky at this stage of the season too in my view.

Ideally we want someone who knows the lower leagues well and has some sort of success i.e. John Ward otherwise we may as well just stick with Wade.
Si Robin
The only name you've mentioned I would consider realistic is Dave Artell.

He was my number one choice in the summer, and I think he got the rough end of one at Crewe. What concerns me is why no-one has taken a punt on him yet.

I've heard rumours that we asked to speak to Gavin Strachan (coach at Celtic) in the summer but couldn't get close to what they wanted in terms of compensation.
CTFC.Harry
My view is and has been for a long time the following…

1- We will stay up. It’ll be close but we will.

2- Wade Elliot is not the man to take us forward as a club. He absolutely does not inspire confidence and he hasn’t tried to build a connection with the fans. As long as Wade is here we will always struggle in League One which some will say isn’t a bad thing but I don’t want to watch this sort of thing every season, progression would be nice. You could see week by week, an improvement under Duff. Maybe it’s unfair to compare the two but an improvement, albeit gradual isn’t a lot to ask for. Under Mr Elliot I see no improvement. I feel for him because the recruitment in the summer was poor but at the same time I don’t have much hope that if we stay up, next season will actually be any better because as I say, the performances have hardly improved since August.

Either way, we will either by going to Cardiff or Harrogate next season.
ctfc-fan
Robin wrote:
Si Robin wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 19:18 Some of the names on here are la-la land surely.

Serious question Si would do you suggest the board sound out if not the above names? Not knocking you genuinely curious. We need to becareful what we wish for and hope the board don't make another appointment who is worse than Wade such as a Matt Taylor, Keith Curle or Jerry Gill. Going for an unproven U-23 coach would also be extremely risky at this stage of the season too in my view.

Ideally we want someone who knows the lower leagues well and has some sort of success i.e. John Ward otherwise we may as well just stick with Wade.
But Duff had no managerial experience…
Horteng
Si Robin wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 21:00 The only name you've mentioned I would consider realistic is Dave Artell.

He was my number one choice in the summer, and I think he got the rough end of one at Crewe. What concerns me is why no-one has taken a punt on him yet.

I've heard rumours that we asked to speak to Gavin Strachan (coach at Celtic) in the summer but couldn't get close to what they wanted in terms of compensation.
He's more un inspirational than Wade :cry:
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 21:00 The only name you've mentioned I would consider realistic is Dave Artell.

I understand we interviewed Artell in the summer and he didn't even make the final three candidates. If so, I feel that would be a weird appointment to back track so hard, I mean the board even felt that Matt Taylor would be a better appointment :oops: . I believe (but not with authority) Artell was also interviewed for the Exeter job and got overlooked.

I do agree he's far from the worst option though, seems a good stable coach, very articulate but also quite reserved, a little bit too much like Wade for the fans to warm too though.

I hadn't heard about Strachan but as I say not sure going for an unproven reserve team boss is what we need right now. That would be in the summer when we can allow that person to bed in.
Robin
ctfc-fan wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 21:18
Robin wrote:

It's a different scenario, we currently have 14 games to get 12-15 points needed to keep us up. So we need someone who can come in and make an instant impact, so for that you want a more proven manager in my opinion. Time for U-23 or first time boss would have been in the summer.
andgarod
so what do we wish for 20+ points a wining run and Wade leads on to the championship

Just listen to some of you managers that have been sacked why
Managers who want big budget

If and I hope he does Wade keeps us in league1 mission acomplished

Why did Duff leave - he admitted he couldnt take us any further
3 year contract at Barnsley on more money

People living on rumours and hearsay
Get a grip currently we are a league 1 club next season who knows but the only people who know the facts dont post on here

3 points on Tuesday night and everything will be fine again
COYR
little mo
Robin wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 21:52
Robin wrote:

It's a different scenario, we currently have 14 games to get 12-15 points needed to keep us up. So we need someone who can come in and make an instant impact, so for that you want a more proven manager in my opinion. Time for U-23 or first time boss would have been in the summer.
Robin,I have just checked our remaining fixtures to see if I am missing something,but for the life of me I cannot see where 12-15 points are coming from. At best I think we could get 9 but more likely 7. Sorry folks but that will mean just one thing.
Benctfc
Problem for me with Wade is we have never had any identity under him. I have watched a large portion of our matches home and away and still yet to see what our game plan is... from what I can work out it seems to consist of lump the ball long to two small strikers and sit back and hope teams cant break us down. We are relying on a moment of quality or a scrappy goal to win matches that isnt sustainable. Even when we were on our decent run the football was very average and it felt we nicked some fortunate 1-0 wins.

If Wade keeps us up he deserves the Summer to rebuild the squad but the board need to have a clear message to him that the quality of football has to improve. 25 goals in 32 matches is embarassing at any level and is the reason fans are understandably restless. Derby is a write off in my opinion but then run of home games after will decide our fate.
paperboy
I get that this season is frustrating, but it's been said several times that second season syndrome is pretty common.
Duff said that the first season everything is all shiny, new and exciting, but that excitement wears off.

Any team like us that lost Wright, Etete and an inspired Alfie from the second half of last season would struggle.
Of course Mickey and Wade would have liked those two now with the goals and entertainment they provided.
We don't have them and we have to try and grind out results .
Zero chance I think of the board changing manager so as Wade says strap in for a bump ride.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 23:32
Robin wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 21:52
Robin,I have just checked our remaining fixtures to see if I am missing something,but for the life of me I cannot see where 12-15 points are coming from. At best I think we could get 9 but more likely 7. Sorry folks but that will mean just one thing.
Factually speaking we could get anywhere from zero points to 42 points, so let’s hope it’s closer to the top end of the possible range than what you suggest!
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 27 Feb 2023, 09:40, edited 2 times in total.