so what to do

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
Benctfc wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 05:44 Problem for me with Wade is we have never had any identity under him. I have watched a large portion of our matches home and away and still yet to see what our game plan is... from what I can work out it seems to consist of lump the ball long to two small strikers and sit back and hope teams cant break us down. We are relying on a moment of quality or a scrappy goal to win matches that isnt sustainable. Even when we were on our decent run the football was very average and it felt we nicked some fortunate 1-0 wins.

If Wade keeps us up he deserves the Summer to rebuild the squad but the board need to have a clear message to him that the quality of football has to improve. 25 goals in 32 matches is embarassing at any level and is the reason fans are understandably restless. Derby is a write off in my opinion but then run of home games after will decide our fate.
Agree with you Derby is a write off. It will be a massive shock if we get anything there. Fleetwood at home on Saturday is bigger,if we lose that then we are up s#!t creek without a paddle,and they have 4 wins and a draw from last 5 fixtures.
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 08:17
little mo wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 23:32
Robin wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 21:52

It's a different scenario, we currently have 14 games to get 12-15 points needed to keep us up. So we need someone who can come in and make an instant impact, so for that you want a more proven manager in my opinion. Time for U-23 or first time boss would have been in the summer.
Robin,I have just checked our remaining fixtures to see if I am missing something,but for the life of me I cannot see where 12-15 points are coming from. At best I think we could get 9 but more likely 7. Sorry folks but that will mean just one thing.
Saving this post to revisit on 7th May.

Of course, Little Mo would have won the Lotto and Euromillions by then, as well as having successfully bet his life savings on the top five placings in the Grand National as well.

In the meantime, lads, don’t bother going to games without checking with Mo what the result will be beforehand. Silly us for thinking football was still an unpredictable funny old game where anything could happen!
I am only giving a concerned opinion which i fully understand you do not agree with,but is there any need for your rudeness once again. Please do save the post and on May 7th I pray you can take the p!## out of me as much as you like because it will mean we stayed up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 08:30

Robin,I have just checked our remaining fixtures to see if I am missing something,but for the life of me I cannot see where 12-15 points are coming from. At best I think we could get 9 but more likely 7. Sorry folks but that will mean just one thing.

Of course, Little Mo would have won the Lotto and Euromillions by then, as well as having successfully bet his life savings on the top five placings in the Grand National as well.

In the meantime, lads, don’t bother going to games without checking with Mo what the result will be beforehand. Silly us for thinking football was still an unpredictable funny old game where anything could happen!
I am only giving a concerned opinion which i fully understand you do not agree with,but is there any need for your rudeness once again. Please do save the post and on May 7th I pray you can take the p!## out of me as much as you like because it will mean we stayed up.
Here’s hoping!
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 27 Feb 2023, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
asl

RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:claiming to have gone through the fixtures and pinpointed where we will and won’t pick up points is a bit daft.
FFS, RCS: he did nothing of the sort... Mo said: "I have just checked our remaining fixtures to see if I am missing something,but for the life of me I cannot see where 12-15 points are coming from. At best I think we could get 9 but more likely 7."

Note the emphasis on the "I". He's expressing a personal opinion. To suggest something akin to the Daily Express saying they've pinpointed "the exact day snow will fall in the UK" is plainly ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 09:13
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:claiming to have gone through the fixtures and pinpointed where we will and won’t pick up points is a bit daft.
FFS, RCS: he did nothing of the sort... Mo said: "I have just checked our remaining fixtures to see if I am missing something,but for the life of me I cannot see where 12-15 points are coming from. At best I think we could get 9 but more likely 7."

Note the emphasis on the "I". He's expressing a personal opinion. To suggest something akin to the Daily Express saying they've pinpointed "the exact day snow will fall in the UK" is plainly ridiculous.

Fair enough. Edited my posts! Sorry Mo.
everyman
Si Robin wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 21:00 The only name you've mentioned I would consider realistic is Dave Artell.

He was my number one choice in the summer, and I think he got the rough end of one at Crewe. What concerns me is why no-one has taken a punt on him yet.

I've heard rumours that we asked to speak to Gavin Strachan (coach at Celtic) in the summer but couldn't get close to what they wanted in terms of compensation.
This guy has a good reputation in Scotland as a coach and has an interesting record/history, David Martindale ?? :lol:
everyman
Cross fingers,legs and anything else for those of a certain persuasion and pray that Aiden Keena does what he was bought to do, score the goals to keep us in this league ?
asl
David Martindale...sounds a colourful character... He certainly has a record...

Warwickshire Robin
I am really conflicted on the whole matter to be honest. I really want Wade to succeed but as every game goes by resulting in another passive, insipid performance the less hope I have that we will stay up no matter what we do.

Just as a passing comment, if the board to decide to pull the trigger on Wade (and I really cannot see them doing that) then so far, most people seem to assume that Russ Milton would be in line for the caretaker role. However we do have Marcus Bignot on the staff who has managerial experience so he could step in? I know there was the controversy about his past history when he first joined us but has this been put behind us now so that he could do the role if asked?
little mo

Thank you. Saves me trying to explain.
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 09:38

Thank you RCS. Trust me i am really concerned about our position,and I really hope you are right.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 10:35

Thank you RCS. Trust me i am really concerned about our position,and I really hope you are right.
We are a couple of points above relegation so I think everyone is really concerned! I personally would be more concern if I was one of the teams below with fewer points and worse form.

I will going to Pride Park expecting the worst but hoping for the best at kick off. Then half time I’ll see whether that expectation needs changed and if hope is being realised!

Us fans can’t control what happens. All we can do is start each 45 mins half in a positive mindset to support the players. If we want the players to get the points they need us to support them, not get on their backs.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 11:13
little mo wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 10:35

We are a couple of points above relegation so I think everyone is really concerned! I personally would be more concern if I was one of the teams below with fewer points and worse form.

I will going to Pride Park expecting the worst but hoping for the best at kick off. Then half time I’ll see whether that expectation needs changed and if hope is being realised!

Us fans can’t control what happens. All we can do is start each 45 mins half in a positive mindset to support the players. If we want the players to get the points they need us to support them, not get on their backs.
Thumbs
everyman
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 10:14 I am really conflicted on the whole matter to be honest. I really want Wade to succeed but as every game goes by resulting in another passive, insipid performance the less hope I have that we will stay up no matter what we do.

Just as a passing comment, if the board to decide to pull the trigger on Wade (and I really cannot see them doing that) then so far, most people seem to assume that Russ Milton would be in line for the caretaker role. However we do have Marcus Bignot on the staff who has managerial experience so he could step in? I know there was the controversy about his past history when he first joined us but has this been put behind us now so that he could do the role if asked?
Bignot has balls,unfortunately he carries them in his arms usually ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 10:14 I am really conflicted on the whole matter to be honest. I really want Wade to succeed but as every game goes by resulting in another passive, insipid performance the less hope I have that we will stay up no matter what we do.

If Bignot was a good enough coach to have made results better than they have been then he should already be having that impact on the players.

Same as last year how Duff relied on Wade for much of the in-game and analysis and decision making, Wade will be doing the same now with Marcus. The coaching team are exactly that.
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 13:06

If Bignot was a good enough coach to have made results better than they have been then he should already be having that impact on the players.

Same as last year how Duff relied on Wade for much of the in-game and analysis and decision making, Wade will be doing the same now with Marcus. The coaching team are exactly that.
I wasn't advocating him as a potential full time manager, more that I have seen a few posts saying we can't sack Wade because that would mean putting Russ in temporary charge. My point was that we do have another 'in house' option for caretaker should that be needed. Still, as I said before I think it is a moot point I don't see us sacking Wade at this stage of the season (and am just about hanging on to the opinion that we shouldn't!).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 13:17
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 13:06

I wasn't advocating him as a potential full time manager, more that I have seen a few posts saying we can't sack Wade because that would mean putting Russ in temporary charge. My point was that we do have another 'in house' option for caretaker should that be needed. Still, as I said before I think it is a moot point I don't see us sacking Wade at this stage of the season (and am just about hanging on to the opinion that we shouldn't!).
I think you’re right MB is more cut out for it than Russ.

Part of me thinks/hopes that if we get through this tricky period then next season we kick on and if we become established in year 4 in L1 then Wade moves to a bigger club and Marcus takes over.
Ihearye
RM - we must have been gifted to have a coach who is ever present, no matter how many managers come and go. No matter how many coaching staff they bring in, Russ is always there........ Or are we not really lucky?
HamTown
Ihearye wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 15:40 RM - we must have been gifted to have a coach who is ever present, no matter how many managers come and go. No matter how many coaching staff they bring in, Russ is always there........ Or are we not really lucky?
I believe lucky - he's been there when we've been way up (like now believe it or not and last season) and he's been there when the wheels had real potential to fall off and not come back on (getting relegated out the league)
Shade
Of course lucky. He's obviously a decent coach or someone would have got rid of him by now, either when we've been doing well or bad. Unless he has photos of someone in a compromising situation. A club like ours needs a bit of glue here and there like Russ.

Also, people saying Russ is no good as manager/caretaker, I'm not saying he should become manager, but he has managed 25 games with a win ratio of over 35%, apparently, which isn't terrible considering he's taken over when we've been shite...
Just feels like Russ gets the rough end of the stick sometimes when he's been a loyal servant to the club for a long time.
Si Robin
Russ is the current link back to the fans of yesteryear - he's been around the club so long that he's part of the furniture. If anyone knows the club inside-out it's him and I believe it's important to have that on the coaching staff.

Due to him being part of the setup for so long, it's easy to take him for granted and understandable that he's one for the chopping block when decisions are discussed on here.
Garby74
I agree with Warwickshire Robin.

I want Wade to succeed but like others have pointed out...there is no improvement.

FGR made the change and made host new signings... look what good it's done. Grass is not always greener.

Let's fight and scrap for every point.

Alfies interview was very honest.

Wade has not lost the dressing room.
But he is in danger of losing the terraces.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Garby74 wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 19:52 I agree with Warwickshire Robin.

I want Wade to succeed but like others have pointed out...there is no improvement.

FGR made the change and made host new signings... look what good it's done. Grass is not always greener.

Let's fight and scrap for every point.

Alfies interview was very honest.

Wade has not lost the dressing room.
But he is in danger of losing the terraces.
An interesting point is over what period do we judge improvement?

I would personally judge at the end of next season, if we stay up this season.

I get the sense that if we survive the dreaded second season the newer and younger players like Keena, Goodwin, Olayinka, Ferry etc are going to kick on and really improve like Freestone and May did (albeit older) and help us get more established with no relegation fears. I think Wade and Co are building something good, but it takes time. Staying up this is season is obviously critical, but I liked how Keena said we’d give getting to Wembley a proper go next season; it shows the players are looking ahead.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 17:10 Of course lucky. He's obviously a decent coach or someone would have got rid of him by now, either when we've been doing well or bad. Unless he has photos of someone in a compromising situation. A club like ours needs a bit of glue here and there like Russ.

Also, people saying Russ is no good as manager/caretaker, I'm not saying he should become manager, but he has managed 25 games with a win ratio of over 35%, apparently, which isn't terrible considering he's taken over when we've been shite...
Just feels like Russ gets the rough end of the stick sometimes when he's been a loyal servant to the club for a long time.
True. It is amazing how young him and duff look in the Stockport video. Wish the years had been as kind to me!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

10 points secured since you predicted we could get 9 but more likely 7.

But I’ll be good and wait until May before taking the p!## :D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

There’s the 12 points secured.

Hope you are feeling less concerned now!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 21:18
But Duff had no managerial experience…
It's a different scenario, we currently have 14 games to get 12-15 points needed to keep us up. So we need someone who can come in and make an instant impact, so for that you want a more proven manager in my opinion. Time for U-23 or first time boss would have been in the summer.
That’s 14 points now.

Care to check the remaining fixtures and identify where we will get to the 15 point mark?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 21:18
But Duff had no managerial experience…
Hope you enjoyed the last few months Mo.