Wade Elliott after the win over Fleetwood

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
“It's a new group and we've been working on a way of playing and we are coming to a point where lots of stuff is bedded in and they understand it. There are one or two tweaks from time to time, but we asked them to be on the front foot, be aggressive and take the shackles off a little bit, not getting paralysed by the pressure of having any fear. Go out and attack the game.

We took the ball. The players were willing to take the ball under pressure and pass the ball. When you go out more worried about making a mistake than doing something positive, it can go the other way sometimes. They showed real courage.“

More of the same please! Let’s have a good run in and secure safety with games to spare.
asl
The 'Wade Out', 'he's lost the dressing room and the fans', 'we're sleepwalking into relegation' brigade on Facebook are nowhere to be seen, tonight.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 18:20 “It's a new group and we've been working on a way of playing and we are coming to a point where lots of stuff is bedded in and they understand it. There are one or two tweaks from time to time, but we asked them to be on the front foot, be aggressive and take the shackles off a little bit, not getting paralysed by the pressure of having any fear. Go out and attack the game.

We took the ball. The players were willing to take the ball under pressure and pass the ball. When you go out more worried about making a mistake than doing something positive, it can go the other way sometimes. They showed real courage.“

More of the same please! Let’s have a good run in and secure safety with games to spare.
only comment is why it has not been obvious for months that we look much better believing in ourselves. That is what irks me about the 'top six' comments. When we play our game and not the opposition, we at the very least go down fighting, but look a much better team. Still don't see what Broom brings that Brown does not do better. But hey ho
Ihearye
asl wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 19:05 The 'Wade Out', 'he's lost the dressing room and the fans', 'we're sleepwalking into relegation' brigade on Facebook are nowhere to be seen, tonight.

it's odd, I presumed the facebook mob where the acne youth, but overheard a bunch behind me talking about the facebook comments and how they agreed with them. Only to see they were in their late 60's. Old enough to remember the Doc Martens
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 19:05 The 'Wade Out', 'he's lost the dressing room and the fans', 'we're sleepwalking into relegation' brigade on Facebook are nowhere to be seen, tonight.

They are probably struggling to process.

I think some in their social media bubble genuinely believed Wade would be sacked today.

Given even some of the podcast guys were wondering if Tuesday was the day, then I do think the much more nutty people further down the wormhole on social media thought something was going to happen today.

It’ll take them time to grasp the reality.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 04 Mar 2023, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Horteng
Nice to see Wade with a smile on his face and not the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Let’s hope we see more of it.

COYR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 19:32 Nice to see Wade with a smile on his face and not the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Let’s hope we see more of it.

COYR
Shows that he does care and does have passion, but just expresses it in a different way to most shouty managers.
Garby74
Wade out brigade were in full voice today. From 10th minute.
A couple of plucky souls were taunting them back....me included.

Respect to the big man in the green jacket at the back. 'Bang ya f'drum!'

Last thing we need is a split terrace.

Plenty of passion still left this season both on and off the pitch.
paperboy
Garby74 wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 20:45 Wade out brigade were in full voice today. From 10th minute.
A couple of plucky souls were taunting them back....me included.

Respect to the big man in the green jacket at the back. 'Bang ya f'drum!'

Last thing we need is a split terrace.

Plenty of passion still left this season both on and off the pitch.
To the ones who expect us to win 4-0 every match I suggest they buy an Erling Haaland shirt and go follow Man City.
Robin
Most people behind the goal are very much Wade out, my perception is the majority of the fan base are too however it's clear this board don't care what the fans think and won't sack WE unless they absolutely have too. The fact that he manages to get a win every now and then will only strengthen the boards resolve.
Shade
When Alfie's goal flew in it was like a pressure release valve had been opened as everyone jumped up and yelled. I've never quite felt like that when we have scored to be honest. I barely celebrated the goal. Not in the normal way you'd expect, anyway. A few seconds of jumping, clapping, cheering, whatever, and then just kind of stood there, felt like a weight had been lifted. Imagine what it was like for the players and coaches.
Ben version 4:0
Robin wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 20:59 Most people behind the goal are very much Wade out, my perception is the majority of the fan base are too however it's clear this board don't care what the fans think and won't sack WE unless they absolutely have too. The fact that he manages to get a win every now and then will only strengthen the boards resolve.
Utter nonsense. Most people behind the goal are not this and it is ridiculous to say it. Two people shout things loudly.
Ben version 4:0
It’s lovely to see RCS and IhearYe responding to each other in a friendly way. (I always say if I complain about something when it’s not right, I’ll mention it again when it is right!)

We won’t always agree - I’ve just disagreed with Robin and at some point we’ll sit down, discuss his opinions, and then agree that I am right
Shade
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 21:09
Robin wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 20:59 Most people behind the goal are very much Wade out, my perception is the majority of the fan base are too however it's clear this board don't care what the fans think and won't sack WE unless they absolutely have too. The fact that he manages to get a win every now and then will only strengthen the boards resolve.
Utter nonsense. Most people behind the goal are not this and it is ridiculous to say it. Two people shout things loudly.
I agree. I think the vast majority are on the fence, and the poll on this forum shows the majority say to stick with Wade.
paperboy
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 21:09
Robin, if you could take a notepad on Tuesday and ask each fan in the PRE should Wade stay or go the result would be interesting. 😀
Who knows you might be correct, but I think fans are more likely to shout "Wade out" than "Wade in" which could distort one's perception.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Can one assume this just another example of Robin’s rather….unique….use of numbers?
robinsrule
I never want to see our manager sacked because it means we are struggling. If we had lost yesterday I would have been happy to see a change because it felt like we were getting dragged into trouble and I couldn’t see where our next win was coming from. I couldn’t be more happy than a win yesterday and with a win on Tuesday night the “Wade out” brigade disappear and we can start looking up the table instead of down. There may still be a few nutters who would want him out whatever our results because they have made up their mind and are not for turning.

My opinions on the manager are 100% dictated by our results. I don’t think he is doing the best job possible but he is learning and I don’t like the way he comes across in interviews but if we win a few games - and try to play some decent football - then he will always have my backing.
triggo
There's a good piece in the Times today about the result of sacking your manager when the team is not doing well. The stats show that it usually means the results will only get worse - gives Cardiff City and QPR as good examples.

Its averages, of course. So some new managers have made a different but not statistically in the majority .

So be careful what you wish for ...My god, Paul Buckle comes to mind here !
Anteros
Fans chanting for the manager to be sacked in the first half when it's 0-0 is embarrassing. But that's football, fans are fickle.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 14:31 I never want to see our manager sacked because it means we are struggling. If we had lost yesterday I would have been happy to see a change because it felt like we were getting dragged into trouble and I couldn’t see where our next win was coming from. I couldn’t be more happy than a win yesterday and with a win on Tuesday night the “Wade out” brigade disappear and we can start looking up the table instead of down. There may still be a few nutters who would want him out whatever our results because they have made up their mind and are not for turning.

My opinions on the manager are 100% dictated by our results. I don’t think he is doing the best job possible but he is learning and I don’t like the way he comes across in interviews but if we win a few games - and try to play some decent football - then he will always have my backing.
What is it you don’t like about the way he comes across his interviews? People keep parroting this like they read it once, but never explain what the issue is, so I al curious to know..
ctfc-fan
My personal opinion is that Wade struggles with anxiety or similar. He’s not fluent in interviews and it could be that he’s not comfortable.

I understand from previous interviews with others that he’s not like that in the dressing room but have a camera and microphone shoved in your face and it can be a complete different matter.
Ihearye
ctfc-fan wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 19:34 My personal opinion is that Wade struggles with anxiety or similar. He’s not fluent in interviews and it could be that he’s not comfortable.

I understand from previous interviews with others that he’s not like that in the dressing room but have a camera and microphone shoved in your face and it can be a complete different matter.
Guilty of being human then I guess 😁
ctfc-fan
Ihearye wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 19:34 My personal opinion is that Wade struggles with anxiety or similar. He’s not fluent in interviews and it could be that he’s not comfortable.

Guilty of being human then I guess Image
Exactly. I’ve said it before but Duff wasn’t exactly that great at interviews.
Broadway Brian
I was sat in CF Block 6. Didn’t hear any anti Wade chanting from there so not sure the gaffer would have heard it either.

Loudest song of the day (tallest dwarf competition) was from the Paddock. Good to see as it would have been right behind WE.
Fuller
I’m in block 4 and twice I heard the Elliott out chant but it wasn’t very loud. It was a lot louder from various parts of the ground during the Alvechurch debacle.
All in all, Whaddon Road must be one if the tamest and quietest grounds in the EFL. Most of us are reserved Cheltonians you know…..
Mystified
I was in block 2, and I heard more from the Fleetwood supporters than our own silent singing section.

Ironically after about 15mins I thought Cheltenham were starting to get a foothold and then the “we want Elliott out” started, but you had to listen intently even from block 2.