Cheltenham Town v Lincoln City:

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this evening: https://bit.ly/LincolnCityH
Shade
Taylor passed fit, but Raglan out with a broken toe! First it giveth...
That'll be weeks Raglan is out then. Freestone, Baggott, Raglan. When was the last time we had 3 centre backs out for weeks + at a time?
paperboy
Shade wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 18:58 Taylor passed fit, but Raglan out with a broken toe! First it giveth...
That'll be weeks Raglan is out then. Freestone, Baggott, Raglan. When was the last time we had 3 centre backs out for weeks + at a time?
Concerning that Caleb had a late fitness test.
Hammies don't usually clear up in a couple of days.
He had a scan I suppose, but fingers crossed.
CTFCfan99
Just when you think we're nearly at full strength there's always an injury that comes up out of nowhere ffs.

Other than that, a decent looking side.
Ben version 4:0
Shame about rags but I’m hoping this is the chance Bradbury needs. I’ve got everything crossed for him
HamTown
These bloody short corners and long throws really need sorting out, they're more of a threat for the opposition than us
Shade
The short corners are ridiculous. We keep doing them and losing it before we get into the box every time.

Other than that, best first half at home for a considerable while.
CTFCfan99
We've been decent but not really looked like scoring. Set pieces have been poor at both ends. Keena MotM so far, Sercombe to come on for Rea who looks rusty (unsurprisingly). Game is there to be won
Benctfc
Really boring half of football. We have at least managed 1 shot! Defence has been solid and you can see why Lincoln have drawn so many matches.

Hopefully attacking the prestbury home end 2nd half will lift us like on Saturday.
Shade
Benctfc wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 20:36 Really boring half of football. We have at least managed 1 shot! Defence has been solid and you can see why Lincoln have drawn so many matches.

Hopefully attacking the prestbury home end 2nd half will lift us like on Saturday.
If you thought that was boring, I hate to think what word you would use to describe the 3 homes games before Fleetwood!

Always fancy us at 0-0 going into second half down the hill, when we look competitive.
CTFCfan99
Broom....that was an easy pass, can't overhit that
CTFCfan99
Subs needed. Come on Wade
HamTown
CTFCfan99 wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 21:14 Subs needed. Come on Wade
Definitely. Sercs and olayinka on for Rea and Broom for me
CTFCfan99
We just look ragged now. Take the 0-0 and move on. Can't understand taking Keena off
CTFCfan99
Also, when are we gonna learn to mark the f#!$ man on the edge of the box at set pieces
Shade
Shade wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 20:47
Benctfc wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 20:36 Really boring half of football. We have at least managed 1 shot! Defence has been solid and you can see why Lincoln have drawn so many matches.

If you thought that was boring, I hate to think what word you would use to describe the 3 homes games before Fleetwood!

Always fancy us at 0-0 going into second half down the hill, when we look competitive.
I take it back ( :geek: )
Alf
FFS when are we going to accept the fact that Ben Tozer has moved on and taken his long throws with him. We have no one who comes near to his throwing ability and all we are doing is basically throwing the ball to the opposition, allowing them to form instant attacks. We are getting no benefits whatsoever from them so why persevere with them. We should be looking at keeping possession rather than giving the ball away.
art vandalay
Can‘t fault the effort but one shot on target and goal-less in seven of the last nine games tells it‘s own story.
CTFCfan99
The long throws are more a hindrance than anything, so often we get caught on the break from them.

Very 'meh' game, feels like a missed opportunity but 0-0 was a fair result.
HamTown
Alf wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 21:38 FFS when are we going to accept the fact that Ben Tozer has moved on and taken his long throws with him. We have no one who comes near to his throwing ability and all we are doing is basically throwing the ball to the opposition, allowing them to form instant attacks. We are getting no benefits whatsoever from them so why persevere with them. We should be looking at keeping possession rather than giving the ball away.
Has Wade ever been asked directly why we keep doing them?
CTFCfan99
That last one in the 95th minute was crying out to go short to Sercombe, then back to Jackson to cross in. Surely we'd be better off trying to do that?
Ben version 4:0
Great result today, 4 points from a possible 6

(Yes I’ve read the wallies above, impossible to believe they keep going!)

Well done lads, good result that
Benctfc
1 goal in our last 5 home matches is incredibly poor and will leave fans understandably frustrated.

Thought a point was fair tonight based on neither side creating much. My main gripe would be the selection of subs from Wade. Keena shouldn't be going off and what does Oliyinka need to do to get time on the pitch.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Set pieces awful. Throws awful. Slipping over miss kicks awful.

Some nearly moments from May, Keena, Ferry and Broom where we were hoping for a bounce of the ball or favourable ricochet, rather than decisive and incisive play.

Bonds great. Bradbury solid.

A point on the board, moved up a place, and a game closer to survival.

Keena was gassing so had to come off, no matter his quality.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 21:50 That last one in the 95th minute was crying out to go short to Sercombe, then back to Jackson to cross in. Surely we'd be better off trying to do that?
Probably would have ended up with someone falling over and us being countered, or somehow offside for the return pass or misplaced pass/cross.

Jackson’s crossing not his usual crisp quality today, so too reliant on Ferry. But their LB stood up well inside the line of the ball, making it hard for Jackson in fairness.
RS1978
A point takes us a step closer to our goal. I'd personally take Broom out of the firing line as I think that the pressure of being the main playmaker for the front two is overwhelming - the miss vs Fleetwood, misplaced and mistimed passes then and today - he doesn't need any fans on his back so it might do him some good.

Maybe putting Keena back in the hole and one of Olayinka/Brown up front with Alfie. Keena might get a bit more time on the ball and space to find killer passes or that first elusive goal.

We still have games and time left to secure our place in L1 next year - it's still in our hands! :D
CTFCfan99
Keena looks really impressive, just hope he can find a goal soon. He has a great touch, good burst of speed, canny at winning free kicks and some of his passes were beautiful.

Ferry and Bonds also outstanding today. Rea had a rusty first half but looked better in the second. Bradbury was solid, defence as a whole rarely troubled.

All in all a fair few positives, certainly more than the past few home games before Fleetwood, but as always we just struggle to create chances.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RS1978 wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 22:14 A point takes us a step closer to our goal. I'd personally take Broom out of the firing line as I think that the pressure of being the main playmaker for the front two is overwhelming - the miss vs Fleetwood, misplaced and mistimed passes then and today - he doesn't need any fans on his back so it might do him some good.

Maybe putting Keena back in the hole and one of Olayinka/Brown up front with Alfie. Keena might get a bit more time on the ball and space to find killer passes or that first elusive goal.

We still have games and time left to secure our place in L1 next year - it's still in our hands! :D
Yes. A game closer. Our rivals are running out of games to catch us.

Morecambe have a favourable run of games coming up so we need to keep picking up points.
Jerry St Clair
By crikey that was a tough watch, even from the comfort of my living room on iFollow. Hats off to all of you who went and stood in the cold.

Wade is clearly just trying, by hook or by crook, to drag us over the line and stay up this season. And the would be an achievement. But I hope he realises how dismal this is to watch and his belief that this squad will improve with experience will lead to more entertaining fare next season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 22:31 By crikey that was a tough watch, even from the comfort of my living room on iFollow. Hats off to all of you who went and stood in the cold.

Wade is clearly just trying, by hook or by crook, to drag us over the line and stay up this season. And the would be an achievement. But I hope he realises how dismal this is to watch and his belief that this squad will improve with experience will lead to more entertaining fare next season.
I think it will improve next season. I think our young players have so much potential to kick on, which is completely different when Downing kept us up in the second season last time.

We just have to survive this dreaded second season. I’d take 11 0-0 draws from here in with an entertainment factor of zero. Points and survival is all that matters and I don’t care how boring or dire it is.
Malabus
I love games where both teams battle. I enjoyed it, never going to be a walk-over. Deserved MOTM for Will Ferry. Point on Saturday, would be a great week.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Ihearye
Pity that we do so well until the last 18 yards. I didn't really notice the cold as it was a decent watch and thought the midfield had a good game as a unit. Bonds, seemed to be all over the place, hoovering up any mistakes or Lincoln breaks. In one breath I think it was a game we should have one, but in the next breath you can see they had the better chances. But it was 2 points lost rather than one point won.
Had a look at the thesaurus while writing this, it seems :-
Diffident - Ryan Broom
lethargic - Ryan Broom
heavy footed - Ryan Broom
Cautious - Ryan Broom

How poor Brown must be.
Si Robin
We were very solid without being adventurous. We never looked like losing and in the second half we never looked like winning. It's a hard watch, and we all want some more entertainment, but it really does feel like a case of just see this season out and reset again in the summer.

With that being said, there were a few positives tonight - I thought the back 3 looked the best it's done in a while (amazing what happens when you put round pegs in round holes), Bradbury was solid and his long balls were the best of the lot. Will Ferry was outstanding for the second game in a row as well. I thought Bonds did the dirty stuff well but, as has been noted many times, his distribution was off. Broom had a nightmare and I really think he's trying too hard. What Olayinka has to do to get some proper game time is beyond me.

All in all, it was a very pressurised couple of games for Wade and I think he comes out with more positives than negatives. We're a point closer to safety and there's now 3 teams between us and the drop zone.
Mystified
I thought there were periods of good football from Cheltenham last night and the combination of Rea and Bonds worked well with Bonds in particular putting in one of the best performances that I’ve seen from him. For me, he saved Cheltenham a point with his defensive work and helped mitigate the counters.

I was equally impressed with Poole’s marshalling of the Lincoln defence. They never looked in trouble and I felt they were most likely out of the teams to score on the counter.

Perhaps it’s time to give Broom a place on the bench. He’s a busy footballer, but somehow he slows the game down for me and whilst this is contradictory, a more composed player would surely have sped the link between midfield and attack up. I used to think that Charlie Brown could be that type of player but we never see enough of him to understand if he is!
Warwickshire Robin
I thought after the first 10 minutes or so we could be in for a good one. We started more on the front foot than I have seen for a while and seemed to be a more 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 with Ferry & Jackson higher up the pitch but ultimately it turned out to be two defensively well organised teams negating two pretty vanilla attacks.

GK & Defense pretty good. Impressed with Bradbury, he wasn’t tested overly much defensively but distribution good and linked well with Ferry who was excellent again. Midfield looked a lot more competitive with Rea & Bonds together. Rea sitting seemed to free up Bondsy to show his athleticism more and he was all over the place making tackles and covering others.

Problems were in the final third where we were able to create next to nothing against a solid Lincoln defence. Alfie seemed to be back playing as an individual rather than as a pair with Aiden and whilst I hate to pick on Broomy I really don’t see what he brings as a 10. His strength is picking up the ball and running at people and you cannot do this down the packed middle of the pitch, it slows the game down and means any runs the front two make are not used, and he just ends up running down blind alleys. He is a winger!!

Still, another clean sheet another point gained towards our safety target.