Where are they

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 20:10
Pie wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 15:15
SOFT MACHINE wrote:This posting has morphed into Catering Chaos and that's not a bad thing as it's a real issue and is symptomatic and emblamatic of "Little Cheltenham". It's off the pitch we need to get a grip of and stop running the club like we're still in the Beazer Homes League! A giant and, indeed, effective step forward would be the appointment of a CEO. I can't see a case for delaying that.
EVERYONE except the board saw the FGR game as likely to pull the biggest number and it's just plain business common sense to make sure ALL elements of the "matchday experience" would be in place and functioning.
THE CATERING KIOSK IN THE PADDOCK AREA DID NOT OPEN AT ALL AT HALF-TIME SATURDAY.
The director tasked with sorting out the catering mess is one DAVE BEESLEY who is, sadly, the same as many of them; enthusiastic amateurs with no experience of running a business.
I think you’ll find that Dave Beesley, the Fan Elected Director, took it upon himself to take charge of the catering issues because no one else was bothering.

Believe it or not, Dave actually wants the match day experience to be the best possible and is eager to make improvements, even though it is not his job.

I did notice that the kiosk in the paddock was shut all game and I’m sure Dave is on the case to find out why.
I’m probably in a minority of one but I’m of the thinking that the Trust should step away from the board so they can be more independent and hold the club more accountable. My own personal opinion is the Trust & Board responsibilities have become blurred and we don’t know who is responsible for what anymore and a separation would allow for the roles and areas of responsibility to be much clearer.
This catering farce being the perfect example, why has Dave taken it upon himself, what are the other directors thoughts on this issue? Do they even care?
I appreciate the Trust have invested a lot of money, perhaps if the club are turning a profit and the Trust efforts (and supporter views) aren’t appreciated or respected, the club can return the investment and have their little boys club how they wish
Maybe we need a Provisional Robins Trust or Real Robins Trust :lol:

Joking aside, and in all seriousness there is a fundamental question here with the Dave Beesley and catering example. Do the Board just expect/assume Dave will do it for free in his spare time because it is ‘fans stuff’ and offer minimal resources, or is Dave allowed to make a case to the Board, on behalf of fans, for more investment in the catering offer which the Finance Director and other Board members properly engage with and consider.

Either way, I believe the Trust - and by extension fans - should be kept up to date with what is happening and why.
Robin
As others have mentioned it may be time to consider investing in a CEO for the good of the club. It will likely cost that of a first team player but hopefully it can repay itself over time.
Pie
A CEO would be a fantastic move, but the current board don’t see why they need one. As far as they are concerned they have people they can lean on and who’ll do the jobs that any CEO would do.
Jerry St Clair
Yes, as others have said, the root cause of all of this is, of course, the lack of a CEO or COO.

Nearly all clubs in L1 and above (and the majority in L2) have one. Having someone full time with responsibility for all non-football operations seems like it would pay back the investment in no time.
longmover
Jerry St Clair wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 12:01 Yes, as others have said, the root cause of all of this is, of course, the lack of a CEO or COO.

Nearly all clubs in L1 and above (and the majority in L2) have one. Having someone full time with responsibility for all non-football operations seems like it would pay back the investment in no time.
The board seem to have an issue with control, presuming they lose a bit of it if a CEO is bought in, also, what floodgates would open after implementing a CEO.

(imo)

To most people outside of the board bubble its quite obvious they do not possess the contemporary skills or approach to run a lower league football club in 2023.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A CEO would be welcome, but we don’t have anyone for them to allocate tasks to. And who on the Board is responsible for delivering performance reviews for a CEO? Would a CEO want to make their own spending decisions, or have to seek approval from the Financial Director.

A CEO might identify what needs to be done with catering, general facilities management, commercial stuff, speaking to planners and architects, etc etc.

But currently, everything a CEO would identify would be seen as a job for staff we don’t have or need money we don’t want to spend.

A CEO isn’t going to change posters or soap in the CF Stand toilets. So who is?

In a week a good CEO would identify a dozen things to improve. So from a Board perspective they might say a CEO creates more problems than it solves.
longmover
the board are currently causing more problems than they solve.