Former players

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
Not sure reporting on a game is the same as joining a bandwagon. I suspect it was a Maidenhead fan contributing to the magazine, or a groundhopper doing so.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 08:04 Not sure reporting on a game is the same as joining a bandwagon. I suspect it was a Maidenhead fan contributing to the magazine, or a groundhopper doing so.
Yes, it was their Match of the Month feature. The reporter was Roger Titford (who happens to be a Reading fan. and on the Board of the Supporters Trust).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 11:24
horlickfanclub wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 12:41 Time will tell. I think Morecambe will move up the League .
A stats update.

Since Crowley signed:
Played 12
W 2
D 3
L 7
PTs 9
GS 10
GA 26

Before Cowley
Played 25
W 5
D 9
L 11
PTs 24
GS 26
GA 35

So more points per game, more goals per game, and fewer conceded per game before he signed.

He still has 9 games left of course to boost the numbers so we should judge at the end of the season.
An update. Five games played since this summary analysis. Which have seen the following:
0-1 loss
0-5 loss
1-3 loss
0-0 draw
1-0 win (this weekend) where Cole Stockton popped up again with the lifeline.

Stockton’s two goals in March and April have secured 3 of the 7 points gained in those two months so far. The other point scoring games were 0-0 draws.

Crowley’s two assists and one goal in the two months have ended in:
1-3 defeat
1-4 defeat
1-3 defeat

So when Crowley contributes going forward, the team gets slapped or he doesn’t deliver when it matters. This is why he was never the man for a relegation fight, when 11 battlers are required.

If May goes I do think we should make a move for Stockton. I reckon he could get 10-15 for us in L1 up front with Keena and his experience will help the likes of Goodwin imp.
Robin
Sadly little chance we can sign Cole Stockton, he will want wages out of our reach I suspect. Expect him to rock up at a Stockport or Salford on £3k a week.
asl
Amazed nobody has mentioned on this thread about Mo Eisa scoring twice, yesterday...

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Red Duke
asl wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 13:17 Amazed nobody has mentioned on this thread about Mo Eisa scoring twice, yesterday...

I watched the game today with the MK Dons commentary and I listened to the game on Saturday.

the MK Commentary called him I-Ser, whereas Radio Glos called him EE-Ser. I always thought it was the latter but maybe it is the former. Does anyone for sure?
Jerry St Clair
Red Duke wrote:
the MK Commentary called him I-Ser, whereas Radio Glos called him EE-Ser. I always thought it was the latter but maybe it is the former. Does anyone for sure?
Or even Ay-ser ?

Wonder if anyone's asked Mo?
paperboy
Notice that Chris Hussey and Ellis Chapman are only making the subs bench at present and Conor Thomas has been virtually ever present for Crewe after getting somewhat surprisingly released through a combination of being injury prone and the emergence of Elliot Bonds. Don't think he's scored though after missing a penalty early in the season!
Kevin Dawson playing a pivotal role in GJ's Torquay's astonishing five straight wins since joining from Glos City on loan. Probably still won't be enough to save them from the drop.
I expect someone will know why City had frozen him out after an early season injury when he's surely an asset at their level. Maybe he was on big appearance money???
Si Robin
Last I heard, he refused to play for Steve King, so was sat in the pub most days drinking away the grand a week they're paying him. I may have heard wrong though (I'm sure I didn't). So it wasn't so much City freezing him out, but vice-versa.

Regarding the Eisa debate, I'm sure he said in an interview that it's EE-sa and not I-sa.
Shade
I don’t know if he usually does at MK or not, but Eisa barely celebrated either goal.
asl
Just watched Mattie Pollock put in a brilliant goal-saving block for Aberdeen against the Hun.

Nesty
Si Robin wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 17:11 Last I heard, he refused to play for Steve King, so was sat in the pub most days drinking away the grand a week they're paying him. I may have heard wrong though (I'm sure I didn't). So it wasn't so much City freezing him out, but vice-versa.

Regarding the Eisa debate, I'm sure he said in an interview that it's EE-sa and not I-sa.
Go well up front with Keena & May
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CT scores for Crewe vs Swindon. Good lad.
Fuller
Kyle Storer playing for Nuneaton Borough today misses the last penalty in the shootout in the Southern League play off decider to send Rushall Olympic into the National League North.
Seven years ago today Kyle lifted the NL champions Trophy for us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 01 May 2023, 18:58 Kyle Storer playing for Nuneaton Borough today misses the last penalty in the shootout in the Southern League play off decider to send Rushall Olympic into the National League North.
You are doing Stoz a big disservice.

He scored the second penalty.

https://twitter.com/NuneatonBoroFC/stat ... 2492660752

It was Storer’s team mate Dinanga who missed the fifth penalty.
Fuller
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 01 May 2023, 20:31
Fuller wrote: 01 May 2023, 18:58 Kyle Storer playing for Nuneaton Borough today misses the last penalty in the shootout in the Southern League play off decider to send Rushall Olympic into the National League North.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... gue-north/
Si Robin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiAUkG-VSNc

18 mins and 20 secs in - unless Stoz has dyed his hair and spent some time on a tanning machine, I don't think it's him missing the pen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 02 May 2023, 08:18
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 01 May 2023, 20:31

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... gue-north/
That paper has got it wrong then. Lazy journalism by a local rag.
Fuller
Jaanai Gordon released by National League North side Boston United.
We signed him in September 2017 after his release by West Ham but he got a bad injury in his time with us and was released at the end 2017/18 season.
paperboy
Kevin Dawson earns a contract on The English Riviera and signs for Torquay next season in NLS.
paperboy
Jordan Cranston not offered a new contract at AFC Fylde
paperboy
...and Scott Flinders earns a contract extension at Mansfield.
Fuller
Lloyd Jones leaving Cambridge Utd.
One of Buckle’s loan signings from Liverpool. What happened to Dunn and Stewart?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Kyle Vassell scores for Kilmarnock in the SPL….
shevates
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 10:26
horlickfanclub wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 12:41 Time will tell. I think Morecambe will move up the League .
A stats update.

Since Crowley signed:
Played 12
W 2
D 3
L 7
PTs 9
GS 10
GA 26

Before Cowley
Played 25
W 5
D 9
L 11
PTs 24
GS 26
GA 35

So more points per game, more goals per game, and fewer conceded per game before he signed.

He still has 9 games left of course to boost the numbers so we should judge at the end of the season.
An update. Five games played since this summary analysis. Which have seen the following:
0-1 loss
0-5 loss
1-3 loss
0-0 draw

Stockton’s two goals in March and April have secured 3 of the 7 points gained in those two months so far. The other point scoring games were 0-0 draws.

1-3 defeat
1-4 defeat
1-3 defeat

So when Crowley contributes going forward, the team gets slapped or he doesn’t deliver when it matters. This is why he was never the man for a relegation fight, when 11 battlers are required.

If May goes I do think we should make a move for Stockton. I reckon he could get 10-15 for us in L1 up front with Keena and his experience will help the likes of Goodwin imp.
You dont sign a player because of the teams performance, you sign him or show on interest in him for his individual performances.
In the 21 games he appeared for Morecambe he scored twice and had 5 assists, did we have a midfielder whose ratio per game was better ?
shevates
shevates wrote: 13 May 2023, 17:39
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 10:26

A stats update.

Since Crowley signed:
Played 12
W 2
D 3
L 7
PTs 9
GS 10
GA 26

Before Cowley
Played 25
W 5
D 9
L 11
PTs 24
GS 26
GA 35

0-1 loss
0-5 loss
1-3 loss
0-0 draw

1-3 defeat
1-4 defeat
1-3 defeat

You dont sign a player because of the teams performance, you sign him or show on interest in him for his individual performances.
In the 21 games he appeared for Morecambe he scored twice and had 5 assists, did we have a midfielder whose ratio per game was better ? Also take into consideration we are a better side as our league position implies
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote: 13 May 2023, 17:41
In the 21 games he appeared for Morecambe he scored twice and had 5 assists, did we have a midfielder whose ratio per game was better ? Also take into consideration we are a better side as our league position implies
I see your point Shev and agree to an extent.

I do also think it is important to remember a football team is a system of complementary players. Or a jigsaw puzzle where you need the right type of player in each position to make it work.

So I agree Crowley may get more goals/assists for us than Broom. But if he runs and presses less than needed and we concede more goals and lose more games because Crowley means our system doesn’t work, or the jigsaw puzzle isn’t complete, then his goals and assists don’t matter.

It depends what you want from a team really. Personally, I want the outfield players to be well drilled components each performing a specific role in the team system, regardless of who starts each game.

I appreciate others may like a player or two to be given a bit more freedom to do their own thing and be a bit more independent from the system. If you think the latter then Crowley does make sense.
Fuller
Liam McAlinden offered a new contract by loadsamoney Wrexham.
Bit surprised at that….
Fuller
Caught the end of the Chesterfield v Notts County play of final Saturday.
I see Jamie Grimes was playing for the Spireites. I’d almost forgotten about him.
Shade
Russ Penn has guided Kiddie back to the National League, if anyone missed that
Si Robin
Fuller wrote: 15 May 2023, 15:23 Caught the end of the Chesterfield v Notts County play of final Saturday.
I see Jamie Grimes was playing for the Spireites. I’d almost forgotten about him.
Thought Grimes was outstanding to be fair. Was a rock for Chesterfield all game.

Former Cheltenham loanee, Shaun Jeffers, was part of the St. Albans team that got battered by Oxford City in the NLS playoff final yesterday.
cliffy90
Fuller wrote: 13 May 2023, 07:57 Lloyd Jones leaving Cambridge Utd.
One of Buckle’s loan signings from Liverpool. What happened to Dunn and Stewart?
Jack Dunn is currently at Marine FC and Kevin Stewart is at Blackpool, he's had a lot of injury problems. I think at the time many thought Jack Dunn would have gone on to have had the better career.
Benny Profane
............Elijah Adebayo looking classy for Luton in the play-off semi tonight.

Would be nice to see an ex-loanee in the Prem (as I don't think Butland will get his gloves dirty at United).

And talking of which, is Jack the only professional footballer to be able to describe themselves as 'Former Cheltenham Town & Manchester United star'?
ctfc-fan
Benny Profane wrote:............Elijah Adebayo looking classy for Luton in the play-off semi tonight.

Would be nice to see an ex-loanee in the Prem (as I don't think Butland will get his gloves dirty at United).

And talking of which, is Jack the only professional footballer to be able to describe themselves as 'Former Cheltenham Town & Manchester United star'?
Are you forgetting Antonio at West Ham?
Benny Profane
........I am. Of recent vintage, I can only think of Michael Hector & Joe Rodon, Butland too obviously. Any I missed who then 'graced' the top flight?