Parklands - more trouble afoot?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Leckyfan
I asked one of the Parklands car park attendants if they would be offering car par season tickets again next season. Apparently not - “really sorry, we just can’t.”

I find this surprising (and very annoying for me personally). Hard to understand why - since Parklands have taken more money from me paying for a season ticket compared with ‘pay as you go’ (the number of home games I was unable to attend exceeds the discount I got by paying in advance for a car park season ticket).

Apparently there will be a email sent out to existing car park season ticket holders confirming this (but hasn’t arrived yet).

I can’t help wondering if Parklands are planning to play hardball again with the football club over access right? Having some car park season ticket holders who have paid Parklands in advance effectively precludes Parkland withdrawing access (locking the gates) once the season has started.

Just a thought. Does anyone know any more?
ctfc-fan
Not unless the club are buying the land…?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Might just be a miscommunication. The attendants on match day might not be the ones who sort out season passes so just say they can’t?

It might be that they are fed up of holding a space for season pass people who don’t turn up and just want to maximise away fan sales.

Could be plenty of innocent, exciting, or nefarious reasons.
Leckyfan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 07 May 2023, 12:32 Might just be a miscommunication. The attendants on match day might not be the ones who sort out season passes so just say they can’t?
I don’t think so. I spoke to the lady who has been in charge for the last couple of months (since they abruptly got rid of the previous car park staff) and she clearly knew what the plans are for next season (hence the assertion that an email will be coming out soon). BTW she added that charges (on the day) will remain unchanged next season. (Some might say that’s only right given the big hike in price for the season just ended!).
Leckyfan
It’s now confirmed - Parklands are NOT selling any “car park season tickets” for the coming season. Pay-on-the day prices same as last season, but reverting to “cash only”.

Details in this letter issued to those who had car park season tickets last year:

”Firstly, we would like to say a big ‘thank you’ for purchasing a season ticket for the 2022/3 season. The purpose of this letter is to notify you that we will not be in a position to offer season tickets for the forthcoming season.

There are a number of reasons for this, mostly outside of our control. Whilst it would not be appropriate to detail all of the reasons here, we would like to highlight one or two issues by way of explanation.

We aim to have two parking stewards per game, but that may not be possible for every home match this season. The expectation would then be for one person to take payment on the gate, ensure cars are parked properly and also administer a season ticket system. This is likely to be quite onerous, especially if they are not stewarding on a regular basis.

Further, it is not financially viable to offer season tickets in the current climate. We are however pleased to confirm that the parking charges will not be subject to a price increase.

It will continue to be payment on the gate (£8 for cars and £5 for blue badge holders) and kindly note it will be cash only. The card payment machine has sadly proved too unreliable and, despite considering other makes and models, we have not found a suitable alternative.

We will allocate 10 disabled parking spaces, located near to the Colin Farmer Stand. These spaces will be available to both home and away supporters, again on a first-come basis.

All being well, the car park will open at midday for 3pm kick-offs and 5:00pm for 7:45pm matches.”
Malabus
You can easily cycle from Leckhampton to WR. I will hear no excuses.
PittvillePundit
Malabus wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 12:21 You can easily cycle from Leckhampton to WR. I will hear no excuses.
Yes, but where do you (safely leave your bicycle?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leckyfan wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 11:19 It’s now confirmed - Parklands are NOT selling any “car park season tickets” for the coming season. Pay-on-the day prices same as last season, but reverting to “cash only”.

Details in this letter issued to those who had car park season tickets last year:

”Firstly, we would like to say a big ‘thank you’ for purchasing a season ticket for the 2022/3 season. The purpose of this letter is to notify you that we will not be in a position to offer season tickets for the forthcoming season.

There are a number of reasons for this, mostly outside of our control. Whilst it would not be appropriate to detail all of the reasons here, we would like to highlight one or two issues by way of explanation.

We aim to have two parking stewards per game, but that may not be possible for every home match this season. The expectation would then be for one person to take payment on the gate, ensure cars are parked properly and also administer a season ticket system. This is likely to be quite onerous, especially if they are not stewarding on a regular basis.

Further, it is not financially viable to offer season tickets in the current climate. We are however pleased to confirm that the parking charges will not be subject to a price increase.

It will continue to be payment on the gate (£8 for cars and £5 for blue badge holders) and kindly note it will be cash only. The card payment machine has sadly proved too unreliable and, despite considering other makes and models, we have not found a suitable alternative.

We will allocate 10 disabled parking spaces, located near to the Colin Farmer Stand. These spaces will be available to both home and away supporters, again on a first-come basis.

All being well, the car park will open at midday for 3pm kick-offs and 5:00pm for 7:45pm matches.”
Every excuse going. Not enough staff, card machines not working, current economic climate, factors outside of control. Exactly the type of amateurs you’d expect to put thank you in inverted commas.
Malabus
PittvillePundit wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 12:25
Malabus wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 12:21 You can easily cycle from Leckhampton to WR. I will hear no excuses.
Valid point. Cyclists are second class citizens at WR.
Leckyfan
This bit was interesting: “Whilst it would not be appropriate to detail all of the reasons here…”

Why are they being so secretive? Hard to avoid the suspicion that Parklands are contemplating further brinkmanship (refusing access to the Colin Farmer turnstiles) in an effort to extract more money from the football club. Hence the title of this thread, when I started it some weeks ago.

Furthermore, “not financially viable to offer season tickets in the current climate” doesn’t seem logical, unless there are nefarious plans of some kind. Selling car park season tickets right now would give Parklands guaranteed cash in the bank, rather than ‘potential sales’ on the day that might never materialise (e.g if we have a poor season and attendances drop).

Parklands increased the capacity of their car park last season (by clearing the ground immediately behind the Prestbury Road stand). I’m not aware that the car park was ever completely full last season (was it?) in contrast to previous years when a “Car Park Full” sign regularly went up at around 2.15 pm for the big games. Therefore, there’s not even an argument that (discounted price) season tickets would limit the capacity for (full price) pay-on-the-day customers.
plymrob
As an outsider looking in it would seem they have no obligation to offer any parking - and like a lot of organisations, they are maybe struggling for volunteers and/or suitably atuned staff. It sounds positive that parking is being offered - and mainly to those in the know(?). I'd perhaps accept that for the time being...?

As for cyclists... they tend to lean too far to the right... (joke).
Jim
Need to work out a parking spot for the new season, had been parking in town and walking down but it would be nice to be a bit closer. Any suggestions welcome!
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 12:32
Leckyfan wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 11:19 It’s now confirmed - Parklands are NOT selling any “car park season tickets” for the coming season. Pay-on-the day prices same as last season, but reverting to “cash only”.

Every excuse going. Not enough staff, card machines not working, current economic climate, factors outside of control. Exactly the type of amateurs you’d expect to put thank you in inverted commas.
The one and only plus is that they are bucking the trend of the HMRC effort to go cashless. So our spending habits etc can be tracked and every penny accounted for
Ihearye
Jim wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 16:42 Need to work out a parking spot for the new season, had been parking in town and walking down but it would be nice to be a bit closer. Any suggestions welcome!
All the roads to the town side are now becoming resident parking. Even Pittville Circus Road, not too sure how many who live there have to park on the road. But that is our council for you. Penalise the poorly paid nursery staff who have to be at work earlier than a decent bus service runs.
Ihearye
plymrob wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 14:08 As an outsider looking in it would seem they have no obligation to offer any parking - and like a lot of organisations, they are maybe struggling for volunteers and/or suitably atuned staff. It sounds positive that parking is being offered - and mainly to those in the know(?). I'd perhaps accept that for the time being...?

As for cyclists... they tend to lean too far to the right... (joke).
Have yet to walk in to Parkland entrance where there is at the very least two people.
andgarod
Answer at home :lol: :lol: :lol:
Si Robin
Jim wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 16:42 Need to work out a parking spot for the new season, had been parking in town and walking down but it would be nice to be a bit closer. Any suggestions welcome!
I have been driving over from Tewkesbury since 2010, and it is rare that I struggle to get a space down Wymans Road or just off it. And that's with getting there around 2:15 on a Saturday and often after kick-off for a Tuesday game.
bigdavejambo
isnt there still the bike rack in car park near players entrance?
Jim
Si Robin wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 18:36
I have been driving over from Tewkesbury since 2010, and it is rare that I struggle to get a space down Wymans Road or just off it. And that's with getting there around 2:15 on a Saturday and often after kick-off for a Tuesday game.
Thanks, I'd never think to even try there as would always assume I had no hope!
Jim
Ihearye wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 17:25
All the roads to the town side are now becoming resident parking. Even Pittville Circus Road, not too sure how many who live there have to park on the road. But that is our council for you. Penalise the poorly paid nursery staff who have to be at work earlier than a decent bus service runs.
Yep that's the issue I've found when trying to park a bit closer.

I quite like a short walk up to the ground but it's just working out where isn't permit only. I used to live on Pittville Circus which was perfect but think that's residents only now too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The big car parks at North Place and Portland Street etc are quite a short walk.
Jim
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 22:00 The big car parks at North Place and Portland Street etc are quite a short walk.
This is where I've been parking which is fine, but it would be nice to find somewhere a touch closer and free...!
Ihearye
Jim wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 06:44
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 22:00 The big car parks at North Place and Portland Street etc are quite a short walk.
This is where I've been parking which is fine, but it would be nice to find somewhere a touch closer and free...!
Sainsburys Oakley?
Ihearye
Leckyfan wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 13:35 This bit was interesting: “Whilst it would not be appropriate to detail all of the reasons here…”

Why are they being so secretive? Hard to avoid the suspicion that Parklands are contemplating further brinkmanship (refusing access to the Colin Farmer turnstiles) in an effort to extract more money from the football club. Hence the title of this thread, when I started it some weeks ago.

Furthermore, “not financially viable to offer season tickets in the current climate” doesn’t seem logical, unless there are nefarious plans of some kind. Selling car park season tickets right now would give Parklands guaranteed cash in the bank, rather than ‘potential sales’ on the day that might never materialise (e.g if we have a poor season and attendances drop).

Parklands increased the capacity of their car park last season (by clearing the ground immediately behind the Prestbury Road stand). I’m not aware that the car park was ever completely full last season (was it?) in contrast to previous years when a “Car Park Full” sign regularly went up at around 2.15 pm for the big games. Therefore, there’s not even an argument that (discounted price) season tickets would limit the capacity for (full price) pay-on-the-day customers.
All true and to the point. IMHO £8.00 is a bit of a rip off and if they are now going cash only and with the extra capacity, It must be a very lucrative proposition. Do they supply tickets / receipts ?
ctfc-fan
Ihearye wrote:
Sainsburys Oakley?
Prepare for an overstay fine if you do…
Ihearye
ctfc-fan wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 08:23
Ihearye wrote:

Sainsburys Oakley?
Have parked there all day many a time. I know they do display a 2 hr maximum, but have yet to see a car with a ticket on it. Even at that, 2 hours should more or less cover a match.
ctfc-fan
Ihearye wrote:
Ihearye wrote: Sainsburys Oakley?
Have parked there all day many a time. I know they do display a 2 hr maximum, but have yet to see a car with a ticket on it. Even at that, 2 hours should more or less cover a match.
Good luck
Edam Nevada
Ihearye wrote:

Sainsburys Oakley?
If it is a privately owned car park you don't have to pay their fines as it is not a criminal offence, just simply ignore all the threatening bullying letters they send out (if you do respond to them you would have to pay) to get their money they have to take you to court & that costs them more than the money than the fine so they never pursue going down the court route
ctfc-fan
Edam Nevada wrote:
Ihearye wrote: Sainsburys Oakley?
If it is a privately owned car park you don't have to pay their fines as it is not a criminal offence, just simply ignore all the threatening bullying letters they send out (if you do respond to them you would have to pay) to get their money they have to take you to court & that costs them more than the money than the fine so they never pursue going down the court route
Sorry but that has all changed now, ignoring is advice from years ago and most operators are now more than willing to go to court and they do and win.
Ihearye
ctfc-fan wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 11:37
Edam Nevada wrote:
Sorry but that has all changed now, ignoring is advice from years ago and most operators are now more than willing to go to court and they do and win.
My only fairly recent experience of such things is when I got 4 tickets for not parking in a correct space at Birmingham international airport. I ignored as previous post highlighted and after a few letters never heard from them again. Have to say I only chose that action as the car park was full, but still let me in and where I parked was causing no inconvenience or blocking any other traffic. Previous experience of appealing car parking e.g. ncp has always given me the impression they don't even read the facts. E.g. I took a shortcut thru north place car park to avoid two sets of lights and got a ticket thru the post
ctfc-fan
They have 6 years to take you to court and they can and do. I’m not risking it!
Leckyfan
Ihearye wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 08:15 All true and to the point. IMHO £8.00 is a bit of a rip off and if they are now going cash only and with the extra capacity, It must be a very lucrative proposition. Do they supply tickets / receipts ?
For years, they never issued tickets. Then they did (and you could show your ticket in the clubhouse to get money off a drink from the bar).

Not sure about last season (because I had a car park season ticket which, oddly, I was never asked to show).

Half way through last season, they appeared to get rid of the existing car park stewards (who had been doing the job for years, and usually recognised me on sight). The replacement staff were clearly new, and initially not sure what to do when I explained I had a season ticket and did not need to pay.

Clearly something had happened to cause the (very abrupt) dismissal of the previous, long-serving, stewards, but I would not wish to speculate what that was.

I agree the reversion to cash payments seems a retrograde step, and poor for security (large amounts of cash being handled on matchdays). But I’m willing to take Parklands at their word that the card payment machine proved unreliable. I did notice stewards switching to cash payments at times, despite the signage saying ‘card payments only’.

If only relations between Parklands and the football club were better, we could imagine car park tickets being marketed through the club (and available to purchase online, in advance, through the ticketing portal). But, sadly, the two things remain completely separate, hence Parklands seeking to maximise their income from a wholly independent operation, and struggling to put together a coherent process for sales/ticketing.
Robin
Honestly feel the club should be looking to acquire the Parklands land from the council. We can then use it for additional car parking, utilise the social club as a lettor and we can then use some of the space to eventually rebuild the home end.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 13:15 Honestly feel the club should be looking to acquire the Parklands land from the council. We can then use it for additional car parking, utilise the social club as a lettor and we can then use some of the space to eventually rebuild the home end.
Build a new two or three storey building between C&G and Colin Farmer and extending into the Parklands car park. This can provide a new facility for Parklands (rather than their current unfit for purpose unit) with an entrance from the car park. And it can be home to o matchday facilities for fans, with entrances/hatches from the concourses, including a lounge for Colin Farmer ST holders on the first floor.

“In the current climate” a new more energy efficient building and less of a maintenance money pit would help Parklands no end.

The current unit can be bulldozed for car parking space.
PittvillePundit
jim

DM me. I may be able to help