Trialist

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Involved on Tuesday night at Swindon Supermarine: https://bit.ly/TrialistSupermarine
Lord Elpuz
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Very interesting.

Could turn out to be the right side equivalent of Andy Robertson.
1985CTFC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyCWmpdjWAo

Few snippets of Liam Smith. Looks OK. Hopefully got that Scottish fire in his belly!!
1985CTFC
Can anyone remember if we have had any good Scots players.
Chris Iwelumo played 4 games for us. Can't really count him though. Not enough games
Si Robin
Jimmy Smith is the club's second highest ever goalscorer
paperboy
The late great Bill Gourlay.
Fuller
Brian Graham.
Jordan Forster.
Malabus
1985CTFC wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 17:30 Can anyone remember if we have had any good Scots players.
Chris Iwelumo played 4 games for us. Can't really count him though. Not enough games
Darryl Duffy.
Graham Fyfe.
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 17:33 Jimmy Smith is the club's second highest ever goalscorer
JIMMY SMITH SMITH SMITH!!!
Fuller
paperboy wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 18:17 The late great Bill Gourlay.
And lots of others from the 1950’s & 60’s.
A few still live around the town.
Shade
Andy Gray is probably the most famous Scot to have played for us?
Jerry St Clair
Will Boyle played for Scotland u18s. Qualified through his dad.
joes dad
Alex Carson
Willie Ferns
horlickfanclub
Keena might have put in a word for Smith from his time in Scotland.
Broadway Brian
He did well although didn’t see as much ball as he could/should have.

I hear Accrington had a trialist that scored a hat trick last night - could we grab him from under their noses?!!!
Robin
I didn't go last night but you really can't read too much into pre-season games especially against such low level opposition.
CS85
Belittling non league clubs again robin, disgusting. Once upon a time we'd have seen Swindon Supermarine F.C. as a scalp in the fa cup when we drew them!.
horlickfanclub
If its not the opposition it will be one of our players Robin belittles . The season is yet to start but the negativity is there. Oh well,the sun is out but it could be closer to earth.
Alf
1985CTFC wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 16:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyCWmpdjWAo

Few snippets of Liam Smith. Looks OK. Hopefully got that Scottish fire in his belly!!
My Cousin is a Dundee Utd season ticket holder and he tells me that we are fortunate to have Liam.
He says Liam is rated highly among the DU fans and he should do well for us.
1985CTFC
Alf wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 13:08

My Cousin is a Dundee Utd season ticket holder and he tells me that we are fortunate to have Liam.
Sounds promising. Anyone here see him at Swindon first hand?
Broadway Brian
1985CTFC wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 16:27
Alf wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 13:08

Sounds promising. Anyone here see him at Swindon first hand?
Yup. Seemed very comfortable and knows the role from an attacking perspective but not tested defensively and so hard to tell against such weak oppo.

I always find it weird effectively watching someone’s job interview.

Also difficult to know what’s the manager is looking for. I thought Dennis Gyamfi really impressed this time last year but we didn’t sign him.
everyman
I would think he would want a wage beyond our budget and is getting games while looking for a club.
However ! Jamie Victory played in a pre-season at Cinderford when looking for a club and stayed for a while ?
Robin
everyman wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 07:04 I would think he would want a wage beyond our budget and is getting games while looking for a club.
However ! Jamie Victory played in a pre-season at Cinderford when looking for a club and stayed for a while ?
Who Smith? Not too sure about that Wade said he drove down from Scotland for a trial so I'd imagine he's clearly here looking for a contract with us otherwise if it were fitness he'd surely just stay north of the border.

The question for me is he good enough for the step up, played for a team relegated out of the SPL, in terms of quality is that league one standard? Remember Forster and Graham were decent in the Scottish Championship but struggled in league two. Also are we looking at him as a first choice or cover for a loanee coming into that position?

The problem is friendly games against Evesham and Swindon Supermarine is not really an acid test of whether he can make the grade in league one. We are reliant upon what Wade sees in three or maybe four training sessions.
longmover
Robin wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 07:24
everyman wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 07:04 I would think he would want a wage beyond our budget and is getting games while looking for a club.
Who Smith? Not too sure about that Wade said he drove down from Scotland for a trial so I'd imagine he's clearly here looking for a contract with us otherwise if it were fitness he'd surely just stay north of the border.

The question for me is he good enough for the step up, played for a team relegated out of the SPL, in terms of quality is that league one standard? Remember Forster and Graham were decent in the Scottish Championship but struggled in league two. Also are we looking at him as a first choice or cover for a loanee coming into that position?

The problem is friendly games against Evesham and Swindon Supermarine is not really an acid test of whether he can make the grade in league one. We are reliant upon what Wade sees in three or maybe four training sessions.
tbf to Graham he never got a proper chance under Johnson and quite rightly left as a result, when he did play he showed some decent touches and took his goals well, with a run he would have more than coped in league 2. Forster liked the physical side of league two but struggled with the pace.
Ihearye

Bit of a giant leap to say just because a team got relegated the players are questioned about their suitability for league 1. So if the had clung on on the SP then they were? Also don't know that it is fair to judge a player by his team rather than himself. We have had some playing in league one that were league two standard
And apart from that, running down football north of Hadrians wall is RCS job 😀
Robin
Just for clarity I have no idea of how good Smith is but he was part of a team that would likely struggle in league one. That to me means it's fair to question whether he is up to the standard. Of course he may be as we saw with Jackson last season who was relegated in a pretty dire Gillingham team.
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 10:14 Just for clarity I have no idea of how good Smith is but he was part of a team that would likely struggle in league one. That to me means it's fair to question whether he is up to the standard. Of course he may be as we saw with Jackson last season who was relegated in a pretty dire Gillingham team.
My point would be that as soon as a team is relegated ,the vultures circle to pick up the players they want
paperboy
Ihearye wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 10:49
Robin wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 10:14 Just for clarity I have no idea of how good Smith is but he was part of a team that would likely struggle in league one. That to me means it's fair to question whether he is up to the standard. Of course he may be as we saw with Jackson last season who was relegated in a pretty dire Gillingham team.
My point would be that as soon as a team is relegated ,the vultures circle to pick up the players they want
Vultures are known for their intelligence.

I follow one on Twitter.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 10:49
Absolutely.

A case in point is Leicester got relegated and then Spurs bought Madison for £40million.

Re earlier comments….plenty of good football north of Hadrian’s Wall….Blyth and Morpeth the pick of the bunch imo.
1985CTFC
Ihearye wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 09:30

Bit of a giant leap to say just because a team got relegated the players are questioned about their suitability for league 1. So if the had clung on on the SP then they were? Also don't know that it is fair to judge a player by his team rather than himself. We have had some playing in league one that were league two standard
And apart from that, running down football north of Hadrians wall is RCS job 😀
Although Dundee got relegated they had season /seasons in Scot Prem. Smith played in Scot Prem. Also scored against Rangers. One article had him berating the players saying performances were not good enough. So no shrinking violet. Sounds a straight talking committed individual to me from what I've read about him.
Who knows what went wrong at Dundee. Manager probs ?
I don't think it is a case of stepping up/down but is his character what we need and whether his fitness is OK. Has had injury issues, but hopefully they are behind him.
Well I'm going to see them all at Weston so will see what he is like. We need a RWB quite soon. Time ticking.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Wade and Russ aren’t going to make decisions based on games against Evesham and Supermarine.

There are two important things about being here on trial.

1) Quantitative data collection. Our players wear the gps and heart rate vests in training and matches. So we will be able to see whether he has the fitness needed. E.g. if when making the same runs as other players his heart rate is much higher it shows he isn’t yet fit enough for the way we play in L1. We can assess speed and stamina etc to see if his numbers are at the level needed.

2) Qualitative data collection. How does his understanding of tactics and positioning seem when Wade speaks to him. Will he be adaptable to the role we need him to play. Does his character seem a good fit for our dressing room. Does he understand and buy into the Cheltenham thing. Etc.