Change in approach?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jim
I might be jumping the gun, but are we seeing a change in transfer approach this summer?

Older players on short contracts seem to be back on the menu. I know we lost a lot of experience in the summer, but it seems to go against the plan under MM. Potentially signing Smith Snr at 34 rather than say the young trialist Starbuck as RWB cover as an example.

Thompson would be a great addition if we can get him, but again it's a short term signing. Only Street fits the model in terms of young players with sell-on potential (not including Southwood as he's only on a 1 year deal).

Probably just taking advantage of the market, but I've been a bit surprised so far.
HamTown
Yes I've been surprised aswell so far but then looking at the interest in May I wonder if its more a case of other clubs prioritising younger resellable assets leaving more experienced players out of contract for longer and therefore eventually coming meeting our budget
Robin
We needed some experience but it's also a nagging doubt in my mind that we need to get the right balance especially when we inevitably sell Freestone, Bonds and Keena we could find out selves in similar situation Accrington were in and end up getting relegated.

Next summer could be huge Freestone, Bonds probably being sold Davies retired, Sercombe at best has another year beyond this season, Southwood could walk away it's a disaster waiting to happen if we don't begin planning now.
1985CTFC
Robin wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 11:36 We needed some experience but it's also a nagging doubt in my mind that we need to get the right balance especially when we inevitably sell Freestone, Bonds and Keena we could find out selves in similar situation Accrington were in and end up getting relegated.

Next summer could be huge Freestone, Bonds probably being sold Davies retired, Sercombe at best has another year beyond this season, Southwood could walk away it's a disaster waiting to happen if we don't begin planning now.
I have mentioned this and glad you agree. Russ is going to have to find what we think are a number of replacements next year. Getting as high as possible this year may help recruitment. Be seen as a club not just surviving but belonging in League1. Be a real pain dropping down to Lg2 in years to come. After all the hard work getting here. Obvious I know.
Not sure how we stop an exodus if clubs put bids in for our players.
asl
As I said before, part of 'consolidation' as a L1 club has to be developing and maintaining a regular stream of incoming L1-standard players. Some of those may be L2 players that we develop or better players dropping down the divisions as they come to the end of their careers.
Shade
January would obviously be crucial, for bringing in a player or two for next season then like we did with Keena for May.
andgarod
For me this is the make it or break it season
Staying up would be the minimum top half would be excellent
We are giving out 1 or 2 long contracts
It is the only way we can attract younger players and there is a risk attached
I year contracts lessen the risk if we are relegated but I hope there is an option on some or all

Our players v loans means that if there is a major injury or they dont perform ( eg Dan) then they cannot be off loaded or easily replaced

So hopefully the club / management team know what they are doing
If we can get experienced players at our wages then that is good while we bring in youngsters with a view to selling on

As in other threads some of the teams in league 1 might be more risk to a player than little old Cheltenham

COYR
Jim
andgarod wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 12:34 For me this is the make it or break it season
Staying up would be the minimum top half would be excellent
We are giving out 1 or 2 long contracts
It is the only way we can attract younger players and there is a risk attached
I year contracts lessen the risk if we are relegated but I hope there is an option on some or all

Our players v loans means that if there is a major injury or they dont perform ( eg Dan) then they cannot be off loaded or easily replaced

So hopefully the club / management team know what they are doing
If we can get experienced players at our wages then that is good while we bring in youngsters with a view to selling on

As in other threads some of the teams in league 1 might be more risk to a player than little old Cheltenham

COYR
I agree with this, my only concern this summer so far is we haven't brought in any development players other than Street. All other permanent signings are for a year and over 27. Could see Liam Smith signing on again if he does ok.

Last summer it was Olayinka, Adshead, Bradbury, Ferry, so it does feel a bit different this year.
CS85
With ferry's name popping up on the thread I'm amazed we haven't extended his deal this summer,it runs out 2024.
Or maybe we have and he's not interested.
Jim
CS85 wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 14:11 With ferry's name popping up on the thread I'm amazed we haven't extended his deal this summer,it runs out 2024.
Or maybe we have and he's not interested.
Good point, it would be gutting to lose him for free. If he plays to his potential he could be a high 6 or even 7 figure player for us.

Maybe we have an option we don't know about..
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Using the experience this season to establish ourselves in L1 (as a mid-table side above the bottom eight relegation mini-league) will help with the young player signings in January and next year.

Good younger players are more likely to sign if our baseline is 14th place and they can help us get promotion, than if our baseline is hoping to stay up with them having responsibility to do that.

We have had two seasons as a newly promoted team in the relegation scrap. Now this season with the experience signed we can become a proper established L1 side. We don’t want to be in that bottom 8 mini league anymore.

Wade commented a few times last season about how the team were developing and learning which cost us at times, so maybe he is keen to have more experienced players.
1985CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 16:20 Using the experience this season to establish ourselves in L1 (as a mid-table side above the bottom eight relegation mini-league) will help with the young player signings in January and next year.

Good younger players are more likely to sign if our baseline is 14th place and they can help us get promotion, than if our baseline is hoping to stay up with them having responsibility to do that.

We have had two seasons as a newly promoted team in the relegation scrap. Now this season with the experience signed we can become a proper established L1 side. We don’t want to be in that bottom 8 mini league anymore.

Wade commented a few times last season about how the team were developing and learning which cost us at times, so maybe he is keen to have more experienced players.
Regency we must stop agreeing.
See my prediction league. Got us at 11th..that must help with future recruitment if it happens of course. If players see us becoming a force in league 1 then surely that will help with signings. Until someone knicks our players or manager!
shevates
Robin wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 11:36 We needed some experience but it's also a nagging doubt in my mind that we need to get the right balance especially when we inevitably sell Freestone, Bonds and Keena we could find out selves in similar situation Accrington were in and end up getting relegated.

What am I missing in what a lot of you see in Elliot Bonds. 2 goals and 3 assists since hes been here, hes been at fault in more goals than hes scored or created, his passing is poor in my eyes. Thompson replaced him at Newport and we became a better side. I will have to study him more to see what most of you see and im missing
Jim
shevates wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 12:22

What am I missing in what a lot of you see in Elliot Bonds. 2 goals and 3 assists since hes been here, hes been at fault in more goals than hes scored or created, his passing is poor in my eyes. Thompson replaced him at Newport and we became a better side. I will have to study him more to see what most of you see and im missing
He's a bit Jekyll and Hyde, but when he's on it he's a player I could really see playing at a higher level. Hopefully he can bring that consistency into his game, and having Thompson in there to supply that competition will help him, as it did when Rea came in.

Like a lot of our players, he's nowhere near the finished article but has the raw ingredients. While he's playing as the most defensive of our 3 midfielders I wouldn't worry too much about his goals and assists stats.
Lord Elpuz
In respect of Bonds - It’s just his levels of consistency. Clearly, the more consistently you hit the 7 out of 10 performances (or better) in a match, the higher you will play. The assist that Bonds played in to Keena in the game v WBA was world class. If you slow the action right down he completely flat footed two Baggies midfielders with the ball, first on his right foot, switching to the left foot, then flicking back behind his right foot whilst moving to his right, with a little glance up to see if Keena was on the move and then pinging the exquisitely weighted diagonal pass straight into Keena’s path. It’s in those moments that Bonds’ potential is noticed; if he achieved more of those moments, he would be attracting interest at a higher level.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 12:22

For me he has been our best ball winner in midfield since he joined. Sticks his leg into a melee and emerges with ball on toe. Or stands up to a dribbling opponent, block tackles, and emerges with ball on toe. Not saying he is best in L1 at it, but he has been CTFC’s best at it for a few years now in my view, as I have said over the last few years since before his first injury.
CTFC.Harry
Bonds reminds me of Conor Thomas in some ways. Understated but wins the ball and plays it on.
Not particularly flash but a good, young player. Wouldn’t be surprised if a Championship team come in for him next summer. He definitely has off days but who doesn’t!? Regarding the topic of the thread, I think it’s good that experience is being brought in, last season we had a young squad with little League 1 experience. Smith, Smith, Thompson and Davies all have hundreds of games at a competitive level under their belt, coming in to a squad that has shown they’re mostly up to L1 standard. Decent.
Jerry St Clair
If Bonds played his best game 100% of the time, he'd be in the Championship. His inconsistency is the reason he's still at Cheltenham in L1. He's also still visibly improving, almost game by game.

Assuming that trajectory continues, he will be gone next summer.
everyman
Lord Elpuz wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 21:05 In respect of Bonds - It’s just his levels of consistency. Clearly, the more consistently you hit the 7 out of 10 performances (or better) in a match, the higher you will play. The assist that Bonds played in to Keena in the game v WBA was world class. If you slow the action right down he completely flat footed two Baggies midfielders with the ball, first on his right foot, switching to the left foot, then flicking back behind his right foot whilst moving to his right, with a little glance up to see if Keena was on the move and then pinging the exquisitely weighted diagonal pass straight into Keena’s path. It’s in those moments that Bonds’ potential is noticed; if he achieved more of those moments, he would be attracting interest at a higher level.
Bonds is progressing well considering he`s had a year out because of injury,and his only fault for me is getting caught in possession sometimes which he can easily erase from his game.
shevates
My main gripe with him is that he gets caught in possession and the times it leads to conceding is to high. As someone said earlier the ball he produced for Keenas goal was sublime, but when did he last do that ? He gets my support but to me id like an improvement this season
Ihearye
shevates wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 15:42 My main gripe with him is that he gets caught in possession and the times it leads to conceding is to high. As someone said earlier the ball he produced for Keenas goal was sublime, but when did he last do that ? He gets my support but to me id like an improvement this season
Last week lol
shevates
Ihearye wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 16:19
shevates wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 15:42 My main gripe with him is that he gets caught in possession and the times it leads to conceding is to high. As someone said earlier the ball he produced for Keenas goal was sublime, but when did he last do that ? He gets my support but to me id like an improvement this season
Last week lol
Suggest you read the post, i mentioned last week.
CS85
Bonds seem to get abit more grief than the other younger players,he only turned 22 In March I believe,he's still learning and improving.....and whilst he's always improving he'll have our support I'm sure.
Warwickshire Robin
I don't think it is particularly a change in approach but more of an evolution. We have spent the last 2/3 years lowering the average age of the squad and bringing in the types of players we would hope to develop and sell on at a significant profit. However, as I see it, there comes a point where you can't just keep adding this type until you actually do sell some of these guys on, but you need to add the experience to help these lads develop.

Reading the interview with Curtis Davies on the BBC website (already his signing is lifting our profile!) it says 'Yet he is one of only four players in the Robins' first team over the age of 25 and is five years older than Liam Sercombe, the next oldest in the squad'.

So I think we are in a pretty good place squad mix wise and hopefully adding Curtis Thompson and maybe Michael Smith too would be a good step in my opinion.
robinsrule
I think that we have a nice balance in the squad between youth and experience. At our level I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a couple of “old boys” in the team!