Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics ?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
Looking at last seasons Appearances and Goalscorers :-

Appearances (L1) - Players that played >20 games last season

Southwood 46
Long 44
Caleb Taylor 42 (gone)
Broom 39 (gone)
May 37 (gone)
Sercombe 37
Jackson 33 (gone)
Bonds 31
Freestone 27
Taylor Perry 24 (gone)
Ferry 22
Nlundulu 22 (gone)

Goals scored (L1) Last season - players who scored more than 2 goals
May 20 (gone)
Keena 6
NLundulu 4 (gone)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Which bits are the lies?
longmover
that goals list is pathetic at this level
everyman
longmover wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 10:31 that goals list is pathetic at this level
Because Wade was usually negative understandably given his squad and his lack of experience !
1985CTFC
I mentioned many weeks ago that we need to up the goals, obviously after last year. It has to be up to the Staff and I think the team analyst to come up with a way of looking at how we can get that ball in the net more often. We can't keep doing the same thing over and over again.
Saying that I have watched back the Shrews game last night and there were a few half chances that didn't go our way. Williams if only he hit the header with his right foot instead, Street had at least 3 minor chances, one blocked, one deflected and just couldn't get to ball before defender. Sercombe shot...all reasonable fine margins. Olayinka getting in to some dangerous positions for a cross and being chopped down thus ending a chance happening.
Whilst the result be it a bit of a cockup by us, wasn't ideal, looking back it wasn't a disastrous performance by the players. We bossed from 65mins onwards but that was probably because Shrews sat back or tired. We started reasonable brightly as well altho some might disagree.
But it was evident as has been mentioned by others is that long ball early in the game to the front 2.
They had 3 big lads at CB...we struggle against teams with physically large defenders. We can't batter them with Street and Keena. They are not strong enough.
Somehow we need craft and skill to outdo big CB.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 11:25 I mentioned many weeks ago that we need to up the goals, obviously after last year. It has to be up to the Staff and I think the team analyst to come up with a way of looking at how we can get that ball in the net more often. We can't keep doing the same thing over and over again.
Saying that I have watched back the Shrews game last night and there were a few half chances that didn't go our way. Williams if only he hit the header with his right foot instead, Street had at least 3 minor chances, one blocked, one deflected and just couldn't get to ball before defender. Sercombe shot...all reasonable fine margins. Olayinka getting in to some dangerous positions for a cross and being chopped down thus ending a chance happening.
Whilst the result be it a bit of a cockup by us, wasn't ideal, looking back it wasn't a disastrous performance by the players. We bossed from 65mins onwards but that was probably because Shrews sat back or tired. We started reasonable brightly as well altho some might disagree.
But it was evident as has been mentioned by others is that long ball early in the game to the front 2.
They had 3 big lads at CB...we struggle against teams with physically large defenders. We can't batter them with Street and Keena. They are not strong enough.
4-3-3. Players in advanced positions swarming the box. Imagine how many edge of the box second balls Sercs could sweep into the net after the front three have terrorising defenders.

Sercs is the man for me to add more goals, along with Street and Goodwin, in support of AK. Ferry, Links, and Davies all 5+ as well.
1985CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 12:05
1985CTFC wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 11:25 I mentioned many weeks ago that we need to up the goals, obviously after last year. It has to be up to the Staff and I think the team analyst to come up with a way of looking at how we can get that ball in the net more often. We can't keep doing the same thing over and over again.
4-3-3. Players in advanced positions swarming the box. Imagine how many edge of the box second balls Sercs could sweep into the net after the front three have terrorising defenders.

Sercs is the man for me to add more goals, along with Street and Goodwin, in support of AK. Ferry, Links, and Davies all 5+ as well.
Need a few more fit strikers before we can go to 4 3 3. At the moment would leave the 4 3 3 until we need to chase the game. Lets give 3 4 1 2 a bit more of a chance, and see how the results pan out.
I would like Sercs pushed up but Bonds injury might scupper that. All will be revealed in the next few games.