Robins Report Podcast

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

Strap yourselves in as the people's pod brings you a near 2 hour inquest into Town's early season struggles.
@OwenCTFC_ is joined by @MarkHalliwell1, @SimonGardiner84, @MattMS_YouTube & @DaveCohen_

Enjoy and always.. UP THE TOWN!! #ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1kBuPF ... AAAA%3D%3D
Broadway Brian
Excellent. 2 hours in the garden tomorrow to fill the void of a free game day.
Si Robin
It's quite an intense pod - not as intense as pre-Fleetwood, but not far from it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fantastic podcast. Great to hear that discussion at the end about the realities of the May transfer, finances and general vision of the Board.

The point about the Club relying on the luck of a manager being good was something I hadn’t thought about before. And thinking about it now, if that hadn’t happened with Gary Johnson in the National League then god knows where we would be.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 08 Sep 2023, 15:07 It's quite an intense pod - not as intense as pre-Fleetwood, but not far from it.
Marginally shorter than the running time of Jaws and only marginally less traumatic.

Really good listen and the deep dive into club strategy (or lack of) was very thought-provoking.
Broadway Brian
Good to hear some home truths and the commercial arm of the club come under scrutiny. It’s not deemed important let’s be honest.

A question, was there a match sponsor for Barnsley?
Fuller
After listening to that for two hours I honestly felt quite depressed.
Some home truths in there though. Just hope this is not the beginning of another prolonged period of struggle for our club, not just on the pitch but off it as well.
No idea where we’d ever get external investment from. Carlisle having a go.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66758498
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 10:27 After listening to that for two hours I honestly felt quite depressed.
Some home truths in there though. Just hope this is not the beginning of another prolonged period of struggle for our club, not just on the pitch but off it as well.
No idea where we’d ever get external investment from. Carlisle having a go.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66758498
The points made about the fact there is nothing to invest in - apart from the training ground - to attract an investor.

Apart from a supporter with money to burn, who is going to invest hundreds of thousands or millions in an entity with no assets which will never yield s return on investment.

On a related point, I am surprised there has not been more discussion and scrutiny of the way the Club asked for £200k from the Trust to get on the Board, upping it from the £100k we always thought was the threshold.
Jerry St Clair
I am nervous about the talk of “investors” anyway and attracting them with assets. What would be their motivation for investing in a football club with valuable assets?

Much happier with an Exeter model. They have a thriving academy and have rebuilt half their ground. All with no investment except supporters trust membership.
Si Robin
That would require our Supporters Trust having the same sort of membership and backing.

Last I heard there were less than 200 members of the Supporters Trust, so less than 10% of the matchgoing fans. I'm not sure what they can do, but there seems to be an apathy towards them. I don't know what the answer is though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Exeter City Supporters Trust. Membership in 2021 c.4,100.

“It is the majority shareholder of Exeter City, controlling 53.6% of the voting shares in the club. Since taking control, the Trust has handed over more than £1.75 million to the club.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exeter_ ... s%27_Trust
andgarod
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 11:27

On a related point, I am surprised there has not been more discussion and scrutiny of the way the Club asked for £200k from the Trust to get on the Board, upping it from the £100k we always thought was the threshold.
The answer is that a number challenged Mr Baker at the time in a forum

Mr Bakers response was well that is what it will cost

The board didnt want the trust with a seat
This forum was described as poisonous by the aforementioned chairman
I dread to think what he regards social media as
They also knew that Bryan Jacobs had left just over £200K to the trust so the board decided that they wanted the money

So we have a fan elected board member
There are 3 significant share holders Simon Keswick and the Caribbean outfit
In forth place is the Trust
Unless something has changed

How many shares do the named directors hold not many, which is why nothing can be done without the say so of the big 3
Who pulls the chairmans strings I wonder
I wonder if any of the 3 will gift their shares to the Trust

Mr Keswick financed ( I understand ) the Hazelwood but that said there was a lot of grant money available at the time

So we are a league 1 club with a non league board who do things on the cheap where ever possible

We have at least 1 more season in the EFL

That said get behind Wade and lets start climbing

(PS I understand that one of the biggest lottery winners was a Gloucestershire man who now lives on Cleeve Hill
His interest would bank role little old CTFC)
London Exile
Echoing on the points of last nights excellent Pod, I’d like to see a little clarity from the board on what has been done to try to generate investment and revenue into the club?
What is the latest on any ground development, has anything been lodged to the council, have any designs or surveys been carried out?

I appreciate the Directors have other roles and interests outside of CTFC but if there’s no longer an investment required to become a Director, do we have 2, 3, 4 or 5 supporters with skills that could be added to the existing Board to share the workload and bring a new dynamic and contacts?
asl
Broadway Brian wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 10:24A question, was there a match sponsor for Barnsley?
Ah...that would explain the lack of a MotM announcement, if not.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 13:55 Echoing on the points of last nights excellent Pod, I’d like to see a little clarity from the board on what has been done to try to generate investment and revenue into the club?
What is the latest on any ground development, has anything been lodged to the council, have any designs or surveys been carried out?

I appreciate the Directors have other roles and interests outside of CTFC but if there’s no longer an investment required to become a Director, do we have 2, 3, 4 or 5 supporters with skills that could be added to the existing Board to share the workload and bring a new dynamic and contacts?
Yes. Good idea. Relates to my other thread starting the discussion on what is the vision driving the club. I used the word ‘drifting’ in that thread, and I think Mark H used ‘bumbling along’ during the podcast.
asl
He didn't call our current run 'a blip' then...?
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 11:56 That would require our Supporters Trust having the same sort of membership and backing.

Last I heard there were less than 200 members of the Supporters Trust, so less than 10% of the matchgoing fans. I'm not sure what they can do, but there seems to be an apathy towards them. I don't know what the answer is though.
Exeter faced a catastrophe that galvanised their support. That boosted their Trust numbers and they’ve stuck with it because they own the club and have engagement. Obviously we don’t want to get to that, but it usually takes adversity to stir supporters out of apathy. Chicken and egg.

I’m staggered that we have only 200 members. That’s incredible for a L1 club. How many do Evesham have?!
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 11:56 That would require our Supporters Trust having the same sort of membership and backing.

I will be honest here, have been a ST since 1986 and have honestly never given a second thought about joining the trust. Not because I can't afford to but because I have never been sure what they are actually trying to achieve apart from buying groundkeeping equipment etc etc (probably due to my ignorance). However I would be more than happy to invest if I thought it was part of some major defined effort (as per Exeter), to kick this apparent malaise, out of the club.
I know its on a lot smaller scale, but when a scoreboard was needed - it was done. When they wanted folk to forfeit their season ticket money - it was done. I believe because it was a 'simple' message to get across and goals that could show those offering the money a result.
Would be good to have a view from those that no more than me (not hard, as I just tend to tuck up at 2.55 and watch the match), how many supporters chip in to Exeter and how much.
I just think asking more of us (like me), to join the trust, without us buying an upmarket flymo ( I know I am being flippant here and am not seeking to undermine what has been achieved / provided), being the ultimate goal, won't work. Sell us the plan and I do believe more would welcome that.
Anyway that's my rant over, but will join the trust now irrespective

edit just read RCS post - thanks - is the 1.75 a total since 2021 ?
Last edited by Ihearye on 09 Sep 2023, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
paperboy
Coincidentally, Radio Devon currently broadcasting content about Exeter City's 20 years in Trust ownership on BBC Sounds from about 5.10pm.

Also a recent upload on YouTube .

https://youtu.be/0sAs7W1JxCc?si=-g1_67vUlr1AYKHO
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 16:41

I will be honest here, have been a ST since 1986 and have honestly never given a second thought about joining the trust. Not because I can't afford to but because I have never been sure what they are actually trying to achieve apart from buying groundkeeping equipment etc etc (probably due to my ignorance). However I would be more than happy to invest if I thought it was part of some major defined effort (as per Exeter), to kick this apparent malaise, out of the club.
I know its on a lot smaller scale, but when a scoreboard was needed - it was done. When they wanted folk to forfeit their season ticket money - it was done. I believe because it was a 'simple' message to get across and goals that could show those offering the money a result.
Would be good to have a view from those that no more than me (not hard, as I just tend to tuck up at 2.55 and watch the match), how many supporters chip in to Exeter and how much.
I just think asking more of us (like me), to join the trust, without us buying an upmarket flymo ( I know I am being flippant here and am not seeking to undermine what has been achieved / provided), being the ultimate goal, won't work. Sell us the plan and I do believe more would welcome that.

I believe it is £1.75m since they were took the club over in 2003 or whenever.
Si Robin

This probably sums up the issues - last I recall it was the 500 Club who raised money for ground equipment, etc...

The Trust's "mission" is here:

https://www.robinstrust.org/mission/

I think part of the issue is that they're just not present anywhere. They tweeted 3 days ago - before then their last tweet was 8th August. I know not everyone is on Social Media, but you'd think they'd be a bit more visible. The last Instagram post was 15th August, and the post before then was 31st May!!!

I can't remember the last time I saw anything Trust related at the ground.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 05:52

This probably sums up the issues - last I recall it was the 500 Club who raised money for ground equipment, etc...

I think part of the issue is that they're just not present anywhere. They tweeted 3 days ago - before then their last tweet was 8th August. I know not everyone is on Social Media, but you'd think they'd be a bit more visible. The last Instagram post was 15th August, and the post before then was 31st May!!!

Apols to the 500 club, I am glad my membership of that produces visible results :)
I am aware the people who do this have their day to day lives to be getting on with and I was not attempting to criticise as it is all to easy to do from afar.
I was seeking to point out that lazy ejits like me, will be stirred from their inertia for a recognisable goal. If my arithmetic is correct the 1.75 for circa 2000 people over 20 years, is not a kings ransom
Oh and please don't even hint at encouraging RCS by using the word mission (even in quotes) ;)
everyman
London Exile wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 13:55 Echoing on the points of last nights excellent Pod, I’d like to see a little clarity from the board on what has been done to try to generate investment and revenue into the club?

What would be the point in building a double garage when you only use a push-bike ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 06:19
Si Robin wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 05:52

Apols to the 500 club, I am glad my membership of that produces visible results :)
I am aware the people who do this have their day to day lives to be getting on with and I was not attempting to criticise as it is all to easy to do from afar.
I was seeking to point out that lazy ejits like me, will be stirred from their inertia for a recognisable goal. If my arithmetic is correct the 1.75 for circa 2000 people over 20 years, is not a kings ransom
Oh and please don't even hint at encouraging RCS by using the word mission (even in quotes) ;)
You’re the one calling out for a “for a recognisable goal”! ;)
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨 NEW POD SPECIAL 🚨

In this special edition of the pod, @OwenCTFC_ & @tomjwadeCTFC are joined by @CTFCofficial director @murrytoms &
@jaimiewh of the @robinstrust

Enjoy & as always.. UP THE TOWN! #ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3aPudk ... AAAA%3D%3D
Ihearye
RCS don't dare wink back at my wink :D
The vague Missions I view as a few wishy washy sentences about how a few bods see the pathway to their vision. I would see goals as the defined steps that need to be accomplished to achieve the final goal.

just my view
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 09:11 RCS don't dare wink back at my wink :D
The vague Missions I view as a few wishy washy sentences about how a few bods see the pathway to their vision. I would see goals as the defined steps that need to be accomplished to achieve the final goal.

just my view
Just semantics I guess. For me goals/missions are interchangeable, then it’s actions/outputs which deliver them.

Hard to define, prioritise and sequence actions without first knowing the goal you are aiming for.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 09:15

just my view
Just semantics I guess. For me goals/missions are interchangeable, then it’s actions/outputs which deliver them.

Hard to define, prioritise and sequence actions without first knowing the goal you are aiming for.
The other thing that came to mind when reading the recent posts on this thread, was, what exactly have we achieved by handing over the £200k to get a seat on the board? Was thinking this in respect of the recent SLO debacle. Where the collective responsibility card was played, so we don't get the full story about what happened at board level on this one. Also given the fact we are hardly going to hold much sway against the big shareholders. What is it the Trust are / were seeking to achieve by a seat on the board. What was the end game on this one?
Again, from afar, it looks like 'we' handed over £200k, so we could observe?
horlickfanclub
The Finance Director came from the Trust so you could say that two Directors have come from that source. Queries regarding ground redevelopment should go to the Borough Council as nothing will happen until they have a plan for the Cakebridge Place area. This has been explained so many times.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 10:44
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 09:15

just my view

The other thing that came to mind when reading the recent posts on this thread, was, what exactly have we achieved by handing over the £200k to get a seat on the board? Was thinking this in respect of the recent SLO debacle. Where the collective responsibility card was played, so we don't get the full story about what happened at board level on this one. Also given the fact we are hardly going to hold much sway against the big shareholders. What is it the Trust are / were seeking to achieve by a seat on the board. What was the end game on this one?
Again, from afar, it looks like 'we' handed over £200k, so we could observe?
Very good point.

Have the Trust ever confirmed whether the FED is allowed to attend all Directors, Board, and Shareholder meetings or are they ever locked out of the room for certain conversations and votes?
hookyrobin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 18:23 Very good point.

Have the Trust ever confirmed whether the FED is allowed to attend all Directors, Board, and Shareholder meetings or are they ever locked out of the room for certain conversations and votes?
I think I mentioned this on the Robins Report episode that came out today - it's a very important point. Yes, absolutely: the FED is a full Director of the club, one of seven, all with equal voting rights and no restrictions.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
hookyrobin wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 19:28
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 18:23 Very good point.

I think I mentioned this on the Robins Report episode that came out today - it's a very important point. Yes, absolutely: the FED is a full Director of the club, one of seven, all with equal voting rights and no restrictions.
Thanks for clarifying. I have since listened to today’s podcast. Interesting and informative and good to listen to and very much appreciated.

Up the Town!
tunnelvision
At the start of this season I was feeling quite optimistic for once. Decent squad (so I thought!), good pre-season performances and good support, both home and away. Seemed to be a feel good factor about the club. How quickly that's all turned to sh!te.

Listening to the latest podcast, I've rarely felt so despondent (other than the Buckle era). Covered issues that I hadn't really thought about that much. Got me questioning what the point was of supporting the Robins, as seems like we're only going in one direction and will never be able to sustainably improve the club's long term prospects. And there was me thinking that we might get a comfortable mid-table finish this season! :roll:

Of course, there are some mitigating factors to our poor start. Losing our star striker, first team coach, DOF, analysts etc, doesn't help with the stability of the club. Unfortunately, for a small club like ours, we're always going to be raided by bigger clubs whenever we achieve some success. However, I can't remember a time when we've lost so many backroom staff. Is that a symptom of our success, or is there something more systemic going wrong within the club?
Si Robin
I think Owen made the point on the Trust/Club pod that came out yesterday. These issues only seem to get magnified when we're not doing well.

If we were mid-table right now, having won a couple of games, then no-one would be questioning the board or shareholders and no-one would be doing deep dives into how much influence the Trust have, etc...

We've started shite, had a lot of injuries, and the football has been dire. I agree it's dragged down all of the optimism from pre-season, but we're not down yet and there's still 40 games to go.
Last edited by Si Robin on 11 Sep 2023, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
horlickfanclub
Si Robin wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 11:53 I think Owen made the point on the Trust/Club pod that came out yesterday. These issues only seem to get magnified when we're not doing well.

If we were mid-table right now, having won a coupld of games, then no-one would be questioning the board or shareholders and no-one would be doing deep dives into how much influence the Trust have, etc...

We've started shite, had a lot of injuries, and the football has been dire. I agree it's dragged down all of the optimism from pre-season, but we're not down yet and there's still 40 games to go.