J.P. piling in.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
Well he's usually correct so one suspects he knows.

https://twitter.com/JonPalmerSport/stat ... 46DUg&s=19
CTFC.Harry
For him to publish that, he must at least have heard that pressure is very high on WE. Plenty of decent managers available I notice.

I wonder who the club would realistically look at next. David Artell, Darrell Clarke, Sam Ricketts, Sol Campbell?(👀) Cant see Steve Cotterill being interested unless he was just given a deal till May. Crowley and Jody Morris both too glamorous for Cheltenham so rule them out.
PittvillePundit
Not sure that constitutes "piling in".

Seems a balanced piece written with a large degree of sadness.

Think JP is right - time for a change.
Malabus
Wade has departed.

To be announced tomorrow, I suspect.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
This pretty much confirms the change will come this week.

Yesterday JP put out some stats on the number of games Wade has managed in L1.

Reminiscent of Johnson’s last home game when JP was in a coffee shop pre-match with PG running through all the stats for Johnson’s obituary, which was needed a few days later.

Let’s see if qJP Tweets a picture of all the board in the stand at Peterborough pre-match as he did pre-Macclesfield when Johnson was axed.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 17 Sep 2023, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Ihearye
I hope this is not the case. JP has listed all the problems out of Wades control, he deserves a chance to get this crowd going. The board, in my view, would be using him as a scapegoat for their own failings
And if directors are briefing the press, they should be ashamed of themselves. They seem to do little else but make sure nobody spends too much money, certainly don't seem to invest.
If they get rid of Wade so early, they have lost the plot completely
Last edited by Ihearye on 17 Sep 2023, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Malabus
Ashley Vincent in-charge against Peterborough, God help us.
Shade
As soon as I saw the headline just now on Facebook I thought "well, that's Wade gone then". To be honest, I think it's got to the "cannot be repaired" stage now. The squad need a new set of eyes run over them, and new tactics. There IS quality in this squad, but it isn't being utilised. As JP says, it's been briefly shown, along with the guts, against Portsmouth and Barnsley, but yesterday was so negative, even in injury time, that either what Wade is telling the players is wrong, or they're not listening to him.

I wonder if Curtis Davies will decide he's off as well, leaving us short in defence. He said he's only here for his mate, and he's basically got a media career waiting for him.
paperboy
Ihearye wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:11 I hope this is not the case. JP has listed all the problems out of Wades control, he deserves a chance to get this crowd going. The board, in my view, would be using him as a scapegoat for their own failings
And if directors are briefing the press, they should be ashamed of themselves. They seem to do little else but make sure nobody spends too much money, certainly don't seem to invest.
If they get rid of Wade so early, they have lost the plot completely
Ihearye and I becoming unlikely allies.😀

Words I don't want to hear from the board....
Russell Milton will be caretaker manager whilst a global search for a new head coach takes place.

Wade will always be a friend of the club and he'll always be welcome at The Completely Bonkers Stadium.
Wade's remit has always been to keep us in League One and we're currently 5 points away from that with 39 games left.

If Wade is going please tell us they've identified a new bloke and he starts on Monday.
Fuller
Very good piece JP.
Like many other club’s supporters, we have to stick with it through thick and thin.
But the thought of trips to the likes of Sutton and Harrogate, and also appearing at WR next season, doesn’t sound particularly exciting does it?
asl
Can't knock a trip to 'Arrogate... I've no doubt RCS will be keen to call it the Spa Derby.
Malabus
Shade wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:29 As soon as I saw the headline just now on Facebook I thought "well, that's Wade gone then". To be honest, I think it's got to the "cannot be repaired" stage now. The squad need a new set of eyes run over them, and new tactics. There IS quality in this squad, but it isn't being utilised. As JP says, it's been briefly shown, along with the guts, against Portsmouth and Barnsley, but yesterday was so negative, even in injury time, that either what Wade is telling the players is wrong, or they're not listening to him.

I wonder if Curtis Davies will decide he's off as well, leaving us short in defence. He said he's only here for his mate, and he's basically got a media career waiting for him.
Someone said on twitter, that Curtis Davies could take temporary charge.
bigdavejambo
Neil Warnock might be available by the weekend. Can you imagine Warnock v Evans on the touchline on Saturday
HamTown
Really surprised to be hearing this (maybe a couple of games later) and I didnt get the impression people around me at St James were baying for Wade's blood albeit obviously some frustration

On Davies, I thought Bevan probably did a better job than Davies purely because he brought the ball out ala Caleb last year and is a bettter ball player. So I wouldn't be too fussed if his contract was mutually terminated
Benctfc
If Wade is about to go lets hope the board have a plan in place and already have a shortlist drawn up of potential replacements.
Jerry St Clair
Hobson’s Choice this. As mentioned above it’s beyond fixing.

But I fear that poor choices now will lead to a post-Yates style decline. Absolutely critical days coming up that, if the Board get wrong, will see us back in the middle reaches of L2 in the near future.
THE BADGE
Malabus wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:39
Shade wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:29 As soon as I saw the headline just now on Facebook I thought "well, that's Wade gone then". To be honest, I think it's got to the "cannot be repaired" stage now. The squad need a new set of eyes run over them, and new tactics. There IS quality in this squad, but it isn't being utilised. As JP says, it's been briefly shown, along with the guts, against Portsmouth and Barnsley, but yesterday was so negative, even in injury time, that either what Wade is telling the players is wrong, or they're not listening to him.

Somebody said on Twitter lol !!
asl
Hush, now... Twitter, YouTube and 4chan are where Mal gets most of his news...
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:56 Hobson’s Choice this. As mentioned above it’s beyond fixing.

But I fear that poor choices now will lead to a post-Yates style decline. Absolutely critical days coming up that, if the Board get wrong, will see us back in the middle reaches of L2 in the near future.
what's the last thing the board got right that called for spending money?
Horteng
Must admit this is not like JP to give an opinion.

Obviously he’s a man in the know so I’d say the sacking of Wade is imminent. Announced tomorrow I reckon……..
Fuller
Horteng wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 19:25 Must admit this is not like JP to give an opinion.

Obviously he’s a man in the know so I’d say the sacking of Wade is imminent. Announced tomorrow I reckon……..
Or the Board give WE the dreaded “Vote of Confidence” :o
Fuller
Jerry St Clair wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:56 Hobson’s Choice this. As mentioned above it’s beyond fixing.

Or the bottom reaches of League Two just like after Gould and Allen’s reigns…..
Horteng
Fuller wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 19:29
Horteng wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 19:25 Must admit this is not like JP to give an opinion.

Or the Board give WE the dreaded “Vote of Confidence” :o
Na I think JP would have given that also if that’s the way there were going to go.
CTFC.Harry
I do really feel for Wade. I’ve met him and he’s a nice, down to earth guy and he’s hardly been given a League 1 quality squad. However, I think his time is up now. Something has to change and unfortunately Wade is going to have to take the hit.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:38 Can't knock a trip to 'Arrogate... I've no doubt RCS will be keen to call it the Spa Derby.
Yes, although with several streets in Harrogate’s historic Regency centre named after Cheltenham it is clear which is the original and which offers flattery in the form of imitation.

All the best to Wade. Top bloke who achieved something last season very few in football ever will. Hope he gets some rest to re-energise and spend time with his child(ren?) ready for another successful stint in his next job.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 17 Sep 2023, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Ihearye
The board didn't back him during the summer, so now they get the right to decide his future???? I am getting bored of a board with little vision, little drive and little desire to IMPROVE CTFC.

Every so often we get a glimpse of 'here's what you could have won', before they close their purse again. Can;t be a coincidence, that each of the better managers we have had, have left because they know the club is going nowhere. What do they expect Wade to be able to do, when they are happy to make do but expect the team to out perform year after year
Malabus
THE BADGE wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:59
Malabus wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:39

Somebody said on Twitter lol !!
It was a suggestion. Nobody said it was going to happen.

I see this forum is still as s#!t as ever.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 20:08 The board didn't back him during the summer, so now they get the right to decide his future???? I am getting bored of a board with little vision, little drive and little desire to IMPROVE CTFC.

Every so often we get a glimpse of 'here's what you could have won', before they close their purse again. Can;t be a coincidence, that each of the better managers we have had, have left because they know the club is going nowhere. What do they expect Wade to be able to do, when they are happy to make do but expect the team to out perform year after year
Agreed. We have to appreciate the Board are limited by available funding and resources but I agree we do not see the vision or drive to try new things and improve. Hence my previous thread asking ‘what is the purpose of CTFC’ which the Board should be striving to deliver.
Robin
CTFC.Harry wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 17:53 For him to publish that, he must at least have heard that pressure is very high on WE. Plenty of decent managers available I notice.

I wonder who the club would realistically look at next. David Artell, Darrell Clarke, Sam Ricketts, Sol Campbell?(👀) Cant see Steve Cotterill being interested unless he was just given a deal till May. Crowley and Jody Morris both too glamorous for Cheltenham so rule them out.
Jody Morris and Sol Campbell, no bloody thanks. They failed at lower clubs than us and I would hope we would not even entertain them. Sam Ricketts was sacked at Shrewsbury too, after doing ok in the national league. I was told Artell was interviewed before so what would change now. Clarke could be good if we could convince him to come but presumably he would want funds to be available in January to change the playing staff. Cotts only coming back with guarantee of funds I would think. Cowley's will want a bigger job than us I would think.
Robin
Malabus wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:12 Ashley Vincent in-charge against Peterborough, God help us.
Sacked by Worcester City and probably in temporary charge of us let#s hope the board don't consider him a longer term solution:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Robin
HamTown wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:47 Really surprised to be hearing this (maybe a couple of games later) and I didnt get the impression people around me at St James were baying for Wade's blood albeit obviously some frustration

On Davies, I thought Bevan probably did a better job than Davies purely because he brought the ball out ala Caleb last year and is a bettter ball player. So I wouldn't be too fussed if his contract was mutually terminated
I hope you are kidding Davies and Freestone have been our two best centre halves (albeit his first few games were a bit dodgy).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Tim Flowers might apply :lol:
Robin

But I fear that poor choices now will lead to a p :o :shock: ost-Yates style decline. Absolutely critical days coming up that, if the Board get wrong, will see us back in the middle reaches of L2 in the near future.
:shock: :shock: :o :o :o :o The decline had started well before Yates was long over due given the boot, the fact that the board at the time made an even worse appointment only amplified it. It may not be common knowledge but there were issues behind the scenes in MY personnal life which very likely impacted his job.
Robin
Ihearye wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 20:08 The board didn't back him during the summer, so now they get the right to decide his future???? I am getting bored of a board with little vision, little drive and little desire to IMPROVE CTFC.

Wade goes but there needs to be changes above that too, full time CEO should be hired by the shareholders to ensure the club is run properly because it's not right now, unless the only direction is to not build up significant debt.
London Exile

The current board set up isn’t working in my opinion. Fully appreciate their fiscal approach but I see very little being said or done to bridge the gaps in funding to make us competitive (as raised in last week’s excellent robins report pod)
As mentioned in another post a while back, we need a CEO type figure for the day to day running. If we had such a person in place then maybe the SLO wouldn’t have been ignored as she was by the current board which I find absolutely crazy.

I digress a bit but this isn’t all on Wade. His tactics and set up are a part of the problem but losing key staff didn’t help. Why are so many staff keen to jump ship when other L1 ‘opportunities’ present themselves?