WADE ELLIOTT GONE

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

cliffy90
JP has just tweeted that Wade Elliott has left "by mutual consent." Kevin Russell will be in charge for the Stevenage game.

Official statement from the club: https://www.ctfc.com/news/2023/september/wade-elliott/
Last edited by cliffy90 on 20 Sep 2023, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Broadway Brian
All the best Wade. Thank you for the memories of last season. You’ve had a s#!t hand this season but this feels best for everyone.
Haitch
As bad as it is right now I really didn’t see this one coming
Si Robin
I really did think it was time, but this isn't a time for celebration.

He's had his hands tied for much of his time in charge, yet he achieved our second highest ever position and was a penalty shoot-out away from giving us a day out at Wembley.

He got a lot of s#!t last season, much of it warranted, but not to the extent he was getting it, but at no point did he get defensive or lash back at anyone. He just got on with the job in hand.

Thanks very much for everything Wade - I firmly believe your appointment under Duff was the final piece of the jigsaw that saw us win League 2.
Anteros
Whether you agree with his departure or not, it's still a very sad day for the club.
Thanks for everything Wade. Good luck for the future
slinky_dog
A sad day. People will have different views but a sad day nonetheless.
asl
I feel for him, but it's become inevitable.
Warwickshire Robin
Sad news but inevitable really. Overall did an excellent job for his first head coach role under really difficult circumstances.

He seems like a top bloke and hope he gets another chance elsewhere to put into practice all he has learnt with us.
Robin
The right decision but I dread to think who the board will bring in next, let's hope they can't unearth another Allen, Buckle or even Milton.
Ralph
Anyone think its going to be any better with the next appointment under this board needs to understand that it won't be. Wade was fcuked over totally
Shade
At least there's a lot more common sense on here than Facebook. I'm not even bothering with twatter. The thought that the RNF would be the voice of reason 10 years ago...

Echo most of the above. Grateful for what he brought to the club and for his efforts through thick and thin and wish him nothing but the best for the future. He's a good guy, in the wrong place at this time.
Ihearye
Wrong decision and the wrong time made by the wrong people.

All the very best, they don't deserve you
And now tell us the Echo was not briefed in advance! What a nice bunch to have your fate in their hands
Last edited by Ihearye on 20 Sep 2023, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
HamTown
The respect and decency in this thread definitely reflects positively on his time here and him as a person...not many departures like this that's for sure
CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 18:59 At least there's a lot more common sense on here than Facebook. I'm not even bothering with twatter. The thought that the RNF would be the voice of reason 10 years ago...

Echo most of the above. Grateful for what he brought to the club and for his efforts through thick and thin and wish him nothing but the best for the future. He's a good guy, in the wrong place at this time.
Most of those on FB have probably only watched us since 2020 and don't realise how tough it is for a team like us in L1. Cretins left right and centre.
Si Robin
Twitter seems respectful in the main. I've not checked Facebook
Jerry St Clair
Echo all of the points above.

My abiding memory will be the Ipswich game two years ago. We got absolutely battered in the first half and went in 1-0 down. Wade was watching from the Colin Farmer and went running across the pitch and down the tunnel as the whistle blew. Duff changed shape and tactics in the second half on Wade’s advice and we came back win 2-1 on one of the great Whaddon rd nights.

It probably encapsulates what Wade is best at. Observant, thoughtful, intelligent, astute.

Best of luck Wade. If you’re ever back at Whaddon Rd you’ll get a great reception from those of us who appreciate what you did.
Horteng
Agree with all of the above. Best wishes to Wade.

Will it be a similar situation with Russel Milton? Nice guy but time to move on?
duckers
Wrong decision in my eyes. A really tough set of fixtures at the start of the season, had to deal some really harsh refereeing decisions, a lot of injuries, poor finishing from our forwards and some great saves by opposition goalkeepers. Fine margins. Wish him all the best. I wouldn't be suprised if he moves up a level and joins the coaching staff at Swansea at some point in the not to distant future.
Shade
Si Robin wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 19:11 Twitter seems respectful in the main. I've not checked Facebook
The general uneducated mong's celebrating and being disrespectful, as you would, unfortunately, expect. One wants the board gone as well. When asked who would replace them, the genius reply was "sOmEoNe wHo KnOwS hOw To RuN a FoOtBaLl ClUb". Why has nobody thought of that before!?!
shevates
Broadway Brian wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 17:45 All the best Wade. Thank you for the memories of last season. You’ve had a s#!t hand this season but this feels best for everyone.
Perfectly put I feel, but I will add hes not entirely at fault for where we are at present
shevates
Broadway Brian wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 17:45 All the best Wade. Thank you for the memories of last season. You’ve had a s#!t hand this season but this feels best for everyone.
Perfectly put I feel, but I will add hes not entirely at fault for where we are at present
Jerry St Clair
Shade, please don’t use that word. There are plenty of alternatives that would do just as well.
Robin
duckers wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 19:27 Wrong decision in my eyes. A really tough set of fixtures at the start of the season, had to deal some really harsh refereeing decisions, a lot of injuries, poor finishing from our forwards and some great saves by opposition goalkeepers. Fine margins. Wish him all the best. I wouldn't be suprised if he moves up a level and joins the coaching staff at Swansea at some point in the not to distant future.
You say tough set of fixtures but we've played three of the rank awful sides in Northampton, Shrewsbury and Reading and not even scored a goal.
HamTown
The thing that confuses me is putting Russell in temporary charge. If the board deemed we needed a change why pass it on to the person who worked with Wade closest?
asl
HamTown wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 21:00 The thing that confuses me is putting Russell in temporary charge. If the board deemed we needed a change why pass it on to the person who worked with Wade closest?
That was my first thought. Seemed an even odder choice than putting Russ back in charge.
Ralph
asl wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 21:33
HamTown wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 21:00 The thing that confuses me is putting Russell in temporary charge. If the board deemed we needed a change why pass it on to the person who worked with Wade closest?
That was my first thought. Seemed an even odder choice than putting Russ back in charge.
Because if Russell gets a tune out of them, the board will put him in charge. Its the Cheltenham way
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I cannot add much to all of the above. Will go down in the history books as the second most successful manager - in terms of league position - after Duff and above Ward, and will be remembered as such.

I liked having a calm, thoughtful, intelligent and insightful manager as well.

A shame he didn’t get to lead the players out at Wembley last season and we all saw how much he felt for them.

He cared about the players and he really bought into the unique team spirit and culture which keeps us punching above our weight.

But things run their course, something had to change, and there isn’t anything else which can be changed apart from the manager.
duckers
Robin wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 20:58
duckers wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 19:27 Wrong decision in my eyes. A really tough set of fixtures at the start of the season, had to deal some really harsh refereeing decisions, a lot of injuries, poor finishing from our forwards and some great saves by opposition goalkeepers. Fine margins. Wish him all the best. I wouldn't be suprised if he moves up a level and joins the coaching staff at Swansea at some point in the not to distant future.
You say tough set of fixtures but we've played three of the rank awful sides in Northampton, Shrewsbury and Reading and not even scored a goal.
True, the conceded goals for 1-0 defeats were an own goal flicked over Southwood by Ferry, a near own goal flicked over Southwood by Williams well saved but then a tap in and a last minute missed clearance by Freestone lead to a one on one. Can’t blame Wade there but I understand we did not score, mainly due to a lack of composure by our forwards. If only we still had Alfie, eh.
Si Robin
Not sure you can say it's lack of composure when in those 3 games we barely had a shot on goal, let alone missed a sitter
duckers
You’ve got to love his endeavors and work rate, but Street has fluffed his lines when given a sight of goal consistently this season. Often not getting any sort of clean strike on the ball, snatching at it. He had a good chance to get a shot off, no defenders in the way, in the Reading game and it bobbled to the keeper. Keena often opts for power and it’s great when it goes in, he’s just not been hitting the target. Stats show similar shots on target to the opposition in these narrow defeats, not many.. 2 or 3 and I agree, we need to be creating better chances inside the box.
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 18:03 The right decision but I dread to think who the board will bring in next, let's hope they can't unearth another Allen, Buckle or even Milton.
One of the odder and paradoxical comments I have ever read on here and there has been some odd ones.

You want him gone but think we will get worse in? Talk about cutting of your nose to spite your face!
Ihearye
duckers wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 02:59 You’ve got to love his endeavors and work rate, but Street has fluffed his lines when given a sight of goal consistently this season. Often not getting any sort of clean strike on the ball, snatching at it. He had a good chance to get a shot off, no defenders in the way, in the Reading game and it bobbled to the keeper. Keena often opts for power and it’s great when it goes in, he’s just not been hitting the target. Stats show similar shots on target to the opposition in these narrow defeats, not many.. 2 or 3 and I agree, we need to be creating better chances inside the box.
True, he has proven in the past he can turn the form around. I eagerly wait to see what rabbit the board pulls out of the hat. As it would need to be one of the rabbits they didn't have a good look at and decided they were not up for the post, when Duff left
PCrobin
Farewell Wade and thanks for all your efforts last season. Seems like a thoroughly decent bloke and an intelligent coach, but sometimes his reticent and cautious approach just wasn't inspiring enough for some (including the players?). Hands tied by the usual financial restrictions too. Not sure where we go from here but perhaps a bigger personality required to shake some of the team out of this rut..?
Haitch
Anyone for another Q&A session at deya? that would certainly be interesting.
Ihearye
It is moments such as these that have me wondering the value Is to be had with the FED, given it cost 200k and given they are curtailed by the collective responsibility card. We have nobody who we can go to and ask wtf is going on?
If they can't represent the fans in all the meaningful conversations, in so far as being able to tell us what is going on. Then what is the worth?
This is no reflection on the individuals involved at all ,as it is just the landscape they find themselves in.
I know I know, I said I would let it be 😁