Bolton Wanderers v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Any news on the fan, James?
Shade
Jamesbex12 wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 17:17 Hi all, Bolton fan here. Must say your fans that were at the game were class acts. New found respect for Cheltenham, really hope something can be sorted for when the game does get played in terms of transport for the fans etc. Must also say for the 25+ minutes the game was being played you were brilliant, completely different team to early on in the season. Fingers crossed you stay up and hope those who went to the game get home safe.
Glad to see that. Heard some fans chanting "w@nker" after the stretcher had been taken away and was hoping it was nothing to do with our fans.
ctfc-fan
And all the Covidiots are out in force on Faceache now too. Should be ashamed
Fuller
Shade wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 16:25 And of the teams we're chasing down a few spots above relegation, Wigan are losing, Burton aren't playing for some reason, and Cambridge are the team drawing with 24th placed Fleetwood.
Reason Burton didn’t play was because they are playing Derby on Monday.
Ben3
On one of the major tv apps it said the game was delayed due to ‘trouble in the crowd’

No matter how the team does I knew this wasn’t true

Of course our fans were a class act. Thanks for saying it but we’re a well run little club and the fans reflect that
Ben3
On one of the major tv apps it said the game was delayed due to ‘trouble in the crowd’

No matter how the team does I knew this wasn’t true

Of course our fans were a class act. Thanks for saying it but we’re a well run little club and the fans reflect that
Ihearye
Ben3 wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 16:18
Ihearye wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 16:08 No rhyme nor reason as to why the match should be abandoned. If Bolton had been 2 up, it would have been a different story
It’s just awful for a human being to type this. Is football ‘A matter of life and death’? - absolutely not 😢
Oh get over your sanctimonious self, who on earth is implying it is? Please explain why other matches in similar situations have continued after the appropriate actions have been taken to ensure the patient is being properly cared for? Why shouldn't the match have restarted once whoever was involved was evacuated to hospital where he was under the correct care?
Shade
Ihearye wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 17:54
Ihearye wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 16:08 No rhyme nor reason as to why the match should be abandoned. If Bolton had been 2 up, it would have been a different story
It’s just awful for a human being to type this. Is football ‘A matter of life and death’? - absolutely not 😢
Oh get over your sanctimonious self, who on earth is implying it is? Please explain why other matches in similar situations have continued after the appropriate actions have been taken to ensure the patient is being properly cared for? Why shouldn't the match have restarted once whoever was involved was evacuated to hospital where he was under the correct care?
The overwhelming majority of comments I've read on twitter and Facebook have agreed it was the correct decision. The Bolton PA said "due to the critical nature" of the fan, they believed it was the right decision. There's nothing to argue about.
Ben3
I won’t lower myself to your level. How you think is up to you, but when you say such things others can think it is astounding

Crack on ihearye/confused? You keep going.

Astounding
RS1978
Shade wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 18:02

The overwhelming majority of comments I've read on twitter and Facebook have agreed it was the correct decision. The Bolton PA said "due to the critical nature" of the fan, they believed it was the right decision. There's nothing to argue about.
Methinks Ihearye has forgotten about Bolton's Fabrice Muamba - there was zero chance of getting restarted after such a serious incident happening involving Bolton - even when this involved one of the fans in the stands.

Obvs we wish all the best to the Bolton fan that this happened to and I hope that he gets well soon 🤞 The match can wait for another day...
Ben3
It’s really sad. It’s awful trolls can go on forums like this and say there is ‘no rhyme or reason’ the game isn’t restated.

We need to re-focus this thread on what’s important - I really hope the person is ok. My hope and best wishes are with them 🤞
Leckyfan
Shade wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 17:31
Glad to see that. Heard some fans chanting "w@nker" after the stretcher had been taken away and was hoping it was nothing to do with our fans.
Wasn’t clear why to me, but Bolton fan I was chatting with after the game said the chants were directed at one of the press photographers (accredited, wearing a bib) who was taking pictures of the sick fan as he was being stretchered out of the ground. If true, then clearly unacceptable. Bolton fans were hoping he gets banned from covering future matches.
Shade
Leckyfan wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 19:13
Wasn’t clear why to me, but Bolton fan I was chatting with after the game said the chants were directed at one of the press photographers (accredited, wearing a bib) who was taking pictures of the sick fan as he was being stretchered out of the ground. If true, then clearly unacceptable. Bolton fans were hoping he gets banned from covering future matches.
Makes sense, unfortunately. Probably thought a red top would buy it off him for a payday but I'm not sure even they would stoop that low.
QED
The reason why both BBC and Sky live updates carried the same ‘crowd trouble’ message is that they both come automatically from the Press Association data feed, which is literally just someone selecting options of what’s happened from a menu (typical match event would be: Shot -> Where From -> Team -> Player). Im guessing there aren’t many options for ‘Match Abandoned’ and they thought that ‘crowd trouble’ was literally correct - but they should have known better.
CTFCfan99
Unbelievable. Tw@t.
Herbie53
Jamesbex12 wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 17:17 Hi all, Bolton fan here. Must say your fans that were at the game were class acts. New found respect for Cheltenham, really hope something can be sorted for when the game does get played in terms of transport for the fans etc. Must also say for the 25+ minutes the game was being played you were brilliant, completely different team to early on in the season. Fingers crossed you stay up and hope those who went to the game get home safe.
Mutual respect too for all the kind comments and wishes for safe return home travel from Bolton fans too. Best of luck for the rest of the season.
TheWandererInPeace
Hi all,

As the name suggests, a Bolton fan passing through in peace(ish).

Just a quick mention to say your travelling fans were a credit today - polite, courteous and understanding of the situation.

No news has come from the club or our local paper but will be sure to pass on the news once something comes out.

For the first half an hour you were definitely the better team; could well have been one up as well. We could do without a replay as our fixtures are mounting up and our squads starting to look a little thin but I don’t doubt your club/fans will be welcomed back in a few weeks/months when the match is replayed.

As others have said, the chants were aimed at a photographer only.

And to the person who questioned why aren’t we restarting the game, I ask… would you (and a few hundred people around the incident) want to sit through an hour of football after watching someone receive CPR and defibrillator shocks for half an hour? I’d be hard pressed to believe you if you said yes. Not everything revolves around football.

Good luck for the season (replay excluded of course).
Jerry St Clair
Another aspect is that it was clear the fan became ill right in the middle of a very packed area of the ground so hundreds would have seen the incident unfolding very close to them. That would have been upsetting and I'm pretty sure that, if that had happened near me in the Colin Farmer, I would not have wanted a football match to continue. Add to that the players being off the pitch for 45 minutes then abandonment was both the compassionate and practical option.
Nesty
Thanks for the kind wotds James................ our thoughts are with his family
ctfc-fan
shevates
Thanks for the update Fran although not the news anyone was wanting to hear. Im sure I speak for all CTFC fans our thoughts go out to his family and friends. Hope you're OK, see you soon
ctfc-fan
That’s not Fran on here and don’t know who he is but saw it on the Bolton FB page.
CTFCfan99
Now confirmed on Bolton's website: https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/bolton-wand ... -statement

But we should have just carried on as normal, isn't that right Ihearye?
Shade
It could happen anywhere, anytime, but going to the football with your dad and going home without him just seems worse than most, to me.
Si Robin
It's a strange one, because when I go I think whilst watching the Robins with my boy would be the perfect time to go. Obviously that's selfish on my side of course, and my wife, family and friends may think differently.

In any case, condolences to the family and friends of Iain Purslow and huge credit to all those who helped in any way, regardless of how minor their role.

What I'm happy to see is that our fans handled themselves well in trying circumstances. Credit to each an every one who was there.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 14:54 It could happen anywhere, anytime, but going to the football with your dad and going home without him just seems worse than most, to me.
It happened to a club stalwart and associate of mine a few years back at pittville circus on his way home from a match. And as I said and been castigated for. It is possible to have the deepest sympathy and respect yet question why this match was called off when others are not. We never go at a time of our choosing
Artemis
What happens or has happened at other games seems to me to be irrelevant. This game was abandoned because of a serious medical emergency that resulted in the death of a supporter, with the agreement of the officials and both teams, and I suggest the support of the vast majority of people both at the ground and not. End of.
Last edited by Artemis on 14 Jan 2024, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Si Robin
A fantastic and, in my mind, important read here on yesterday's event:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... h-verdict/

Ihearye, I'm intrigued. How many games have continued following similar medical emergencies recently? The only one I can recall was Orient v Lincoln, and that was abandoned on 82 mins - with Orient 1 up. Lincoln have since won the replayed game 1-0.
Shade
Shade wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 19:17
Leckyfan wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 19:13
Makes sense, unfortunately. Probably thought a red top would buy it off him for a payday but I'm not sure even they would stoop that low.
I stupidly underestimated The Sun, who had a zoomed in pic of the medics working at the scene in the stand, along with the headline "Footie binned...over ill fan".
Shade
Ihearye wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 19:37
Shade wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 14:54 It could happen anywhere, anytime, but going to the football with your dad and going home without him just seems worse than most, to me.
It happened to a club stalwart and associate of mine a few years back at pittville circus on his way home from a match. And as I said and been castigated for. It is possible to have the deepest sympathy and respect yet question why this match was called off when others are not. We never go at a time of our choosing
You can question it until you're blue in the face, but the answer remains the same - the majority of people involved and making the decisions did not want to resume the game. Mostly out of respect, something older people are always banging on about the younger generation lacking.
Horteng
Shade wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 00:24
You can question it until you're blue in the face, but the answer remains the same - the majority of people involved and making the decisions did not want to resume the game. Mostly out of respect, something older people are always banging on about the younger generation lacking.
I actually think the trauma of witnessing the incident had a big part to play. It seems a lot of people witnessed it inc players and officials.

Very sad day and the game itself is not important. RIP to the fan.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 20:57 A fantastic and, in my mind, important read here on yesterday's event:

Ihearye, I'm intrigued. How many games have continued following similar medical emergencies recently? The only one I can recall was Orient v Lincoln, and that was abandoned on 82 mins - with Orient 1 up. Lincoln have since won the replayed game 1-0.
I was at a game in the mid-90s (Reading V Bristol Rovers at Elm Park, I think) when an elderly fan had a heart attack and was treated in the main stand while the game carried on. He subsequently died. I don’t recall it receiving any media coverage other than in the local press.

I suspect it used to happen a lot. After the Burnden Park disaster, the game continued with bodies lying next to the pitch. After Heysel, the game was played. Luckily all that was a very long time ago and football has moved on a lot.
Shade
Horteng wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 07:55
Shade wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 00:24

I actually think the trauma of witnessing the incident had a big part to play. It seems a lot of people witnessed it inc players and officials.

Very sad day and the game itself is not important. RIP to the fan.
I'd be surprised if any players witnessed anything. Only Long, who was first to get the ref's attention, I believe, and one of their players were over there at the time, and wouldn't have been able to see what was going on apart from all of the fans waving their arms and shouting to get attention. The players then all went straight to the dugouts on the far side. But there were a lot of stewards there, as well as the medical staff, all of whom would have had a difficult time concentrating for the rest of the afternoon.
Shade
Jerry St Clair wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 09:04
Si Robin wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 20:57 A fantastic and, in my mind, important read here on yesterday's event:

I was at a game in the mid-90s (Reading V Bristol Rovers at Elm Park, I think) when an elderly fan had a heart attack and was treated in the main stand while the game carried on. He subsequently died. I don’t recall it receiving any media coverage other than in the local press.

I suspect it used to happen a lot. After the Burnden Park disaster, the game continued with bodies lying next to the pitch. After Heysel, the game was played. Luckily all that was a very long time ago and football has moved on a lot.
Lots of different regulations and I'd like to think we have mostly grown as a species since then. Both attitudes and guidelines have changed greatly.
ctfc-fan