League 1 New Year window shopping

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

1985CTFC
Looking at some other clubs forum as you do, quite a few are not happy bunnies.
Carlisle, Exeter, Reading Shrewsbury Charlton and even Portsmouth and Barnsley.
Most saying the same thing , need someone to put the ball in the net.
Not saying we need a striker but one name cropped up which I thought was interesting. Was Callum Morton who we all probably know. Seems to have lost his way at the moment. Apparently left FGR to go back to Salford. I guess their new manager wants to take a look at him again. He did look good against us years ago. As a punt for a loan until end season I wouldn't say no.
Other names mentioned are C Stockton, Marriot who may move. Charlton looking for Alfie support.
All requests seem to be strikers required. Guess we are lucky there.
Talk of Reading having a fire sale, no idea if true. R Broom not playing at Fleetwood!! Not sure we would welcome him back.
Exeter and Shrews and Charlton want shot of their managers. Very toxic. Duff alert!!!

Can't locate any midfielders.

Out of interest Charlie Brown scored!!!! Who would have thought.
Shade
1985CTFC wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 20:04 Looking at some other clubs forum as you do, quite a few are not happy bunnies.
Not saying we need a striker but one name cropped up which I thought was interesting. Was Callum Morton who we all probably know. Seems to have lost his way at the moment. Apparently left FGR to go back to Salford. I guess their new manager wants to take a look at him again. He did look good against us years ago. As a punt for a loan until end season I wouldn't say no.
Other names mentioned are C Stockton, Marriot who may move. Charlton looking for Alfie support.
Talk of Reading having a fire sale, no idea if true. R Broom not playing at Fleetwood!! Not sure we would welcome him back.
Exeter and Shrews and Charlton want shot of their managers. Very toxic. Duff alert!!!

Broom...surely burnt his last bridges here. If he were to come back then he will just be looking to leave again as soon as possible, as he always has done. He can't get into the side that's bottom whilst we're climbing. No thanks.

Moreton not good enough for FGR, definitely not good enough for us and I can only remember him doing a decent job when they turned us over in the L2 playoffs second leg.

If Reading have a fire sale then I'd be interested in their winger, Kamara I think it was, but I believe he was on loan from somewhere like Norwich, and obviously our current formation doesn't support out and out wingers. Would we want Sam Smith back? He's pretty much proven in League One now, isn't he. I heard that we wanted him in the summer after we got promoted but dilly-dallied too long so he went to Cambridge instead.

Stockton's time has passed.
longmover
according to a post on another forum some of readings summer signings are on 3/4 contracts, considering their financial plight is quite a risk and way out of our price range.
asl
Shade wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 12:09Moreton not good enough for FGR
Not sure that's the case? He was recalled from loan and most FGR fans seem to think he's a big loss.
Fuller
Shade wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 12:09
1985CTFC wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 20:04 Looking at some other clubs forum as you do, quite a few are not happy bunnies.

If Reading have a fire sale then I'd be interested in their winger, Kamara I think it was, but I believe he was on loan from somewhere like Norwich, and obviously our current formation doesn't support out and out wingers. Would we want Sam Smith back? He's pretty much proven in League One now, isn't he. I heard that we wanted him in the summer after we got promoted but dilly-dallied too long so he went to Cambridge instead.
Reading player is Azeez. Kamara plays for Portsmouth. Both great footballers though. We couldn’t afford the likes of those.
Shade
Losing track of the decent wingers we have faced in the last couple of home games!
Shade
asl wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 12:43
Not sure that's the case? He was recalled from loan and most FGR fans seem to think he's a big loss.
Well, his stats aren't anything special. Since that play-off win, he's played something like 87 games with 11 goals.
After WBA loaned him out several times he went to Fleetwood on a 3 year deal. 6 months later he was at Salford, down a level, on a 2.5 year deal. Then 8 months later they shipped him out to FGR after 0 goals in 14 games. He doesn't seem to play more than 20/25 games a season and appeared just 11 times (8 starts) for FGR since September, scoring 3.

I know stats aren't everything, but I think most players would be a big loss for FGR at the moment, given the dross they have.
Ihearye
Let's be honest a spring spaniel would look good to fgr supporters currently
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 15:09
Well, his stats aren't anything special. Since that play-off win, he's played something like 87 games with 11 goals.
After WBA loaned him out several times he went to Fleetwood on a 3 year deal. 6 months later he was at Salford, down a level, on a 2.5 year deal. Then 8 months later they shipped him out to FGR after 0 goals in 14 games. He doesn't seem to play more than 20/25 games a season and appeared just 11 times (8 starts) for FGR since September, scoring 3.

I know stats aren't everything, but I think most players would be a big loss for FGR at the moment, given the dross they have.
As I said he appears to have lost his way. Maybe under DC he could become a 1 in 4 striker. Just a thought.
horlickfanclub
I agree 1985. He needs the right club and the right role similar to what has happened to Goodwin. We might pick up Troy Deeney as a free agent in a few weeks time.
1985CTFC
horlickfanclub wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 18:12 I agree 1985. He needs the right club and the right role similar to what has happened to Goodwin. We might pick up Troy Deeney as a free agent in a few weeks time.
Charlie McNeil is another one. Man Utd player who went to Stevenage but found it a struggle while they where playing. well. Now back at Utd. Could be available for loan. Looks a goal scorer in his clips!! ha.
Not a Goodwin replacement but useful addition maybe.
1985CTFC
More window shopping. Southends Harry Cardwell. Big and quick. Not a youngster.
horlickfanclub
Richard Keough just released might be useful.
Artemis
horlickfanclub wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 11:31 Richard Keough just released might be useful.
Two late 30 somethings in the back-line?!?!
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 11:31 Richard Keough just released might be useful.
That's a blast from the past I thought he retired years ago after the car crash at Derby.
Shade
Robin wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 13:01
That's a blast from the past I thought he retired years ago after the car crash at Derby.
He's had five clubs since then! And I'm pretty sure he played against us for Ipswich last season.
1985CTFC
Now Goodwins gone we need 2 strikers. If we get a young one on loan because we can't get 2 in with experience then I would like to think we can go get if possible a good under21 from a top club .(being cash rich!)
Spurs seem to be one of the best U21 teams along with WestHam.
At Spurs one of their lads is a striker called Jamie Paul Donley. Doesn't appear to have gone on loan.
What caught my eye was this..haha below
Style of play
He has been described as "the new Harry Kane" and as a "left-footed number nine, noted for his tenacity and finishing ability, who can drop off and show a good range of passing. We need a left footer upfront,

What more do we need!!! Seriously if we get a loan aim for top end, at least, no guarantee of course he will click with us.
3 months is all we are going to get out of them so financially not to costly.
1985CTFC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l4pg3mtzOA

Looks strong and plenty of assists
1985CTFC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l4pg3mtzOA

Looks strong and plenty of assists