Farewells

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
Well now we know

JP tweeting Paul Bence leaving the board

Davies happy retirement

Who else will go as out of contract and or will be cashed in
Thank you all for the effort and hard work

So whatever happens lets get the manager situation sorted quickly

Based on 35 games a mid league team
Thank you DC
HamTown
Guaranteed got to be Davies, Southwood, Ferry, Olayinka, Harrop, Shepherd, Smith, Nuttall

Highly probable Pett, Sloggett

No idea on Williams and Keena

Can see Bradbury, Long, Sercs all extending. Hopefully not Lloyd as it's time to move on
Fuller
HamTown wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 17:54 Guaranteed got to be Davies, Southwood, Ferry, Olayinka, Harrop, Shepherd, Smith, Nuttall

Can see Bradbury, Long, Sercs all extending. Hopefully not Lloyd as it's time to move on
Probably not far off, but Keena has another year on his contract and we may have an option for another year with Pett. Williams out of contract but I’d like him to stay, especially if Ferry moves on.
Shepherd, Andy Smith and Nuttall were loans so go back to their clubs. Liam Smith technically still our player as he was on loan at Grimsby although his contract will lapse in the summer.
HamTown
Fuller wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 18:05
HamTown wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 17:54 Guaranteed got to be Davies, Southwood, Ferry, Olayinka, Harrop, Shepherd, Smith, Nuttall

Probably not far off, but Keena has another year on his contract and we may have an option for another year with Pett. Williams out of contract but I’d like him to stay, especially if Ferry moves on.
Shepherd, Andy Smith and Nuttall were loans so go back to their clubs. Liam Smith technically still our player as he was on loan at Grimsby although his contract will lapse in the summer.
I thought with Pett it was a case of if he wants an extension its always on the table for him, so totally in his hands.

Would like to see Williams stay too. He's done well when called upon in recent months and is still young.

I wonder whether Keena might be moved on. Everyone can see there's some class there but the stats don't lie.
Ben3
I think the answer to your 'farewell' question is -NOBODY

Or perhaps - just the same people who always leave at the end of the season.

Shame you couldn't stoke up some nonsense,

(When I say 'shame' I mean it 'it's not a shame'!!)
Oldun
Do we know why Mr Bence is going?

On another subject, any news on Luke Southwood. Shame we couldn't give him the send off that we gave to the rest of the team this afternoon. A great asset to the side and an amazing two year stint with us.
If you are on your way Luke, "thank you"!
ctfc-fan
If anyone is on LinkedIn, you’ll see Paul Bence’s post. I can’t copy it and post here but worth a read.
Leckyfan
This quoted on Twitter, apparently from LinkedIn.

https://x.com/shawnha47487632/status/17 ... xLmqk6RNvA

Can’t say I blame him, with all this “sack the board” nonsense.

Not saying they’ve got every decision right (nor would they, I suspect). But happy to assume noble intent.
asl
asl
He has even cut 'n' pasted some of the comments from the FB keyboard warriors.

(Apols if the link to LinkedIn is essentially a duplicate to the Twitter one).
Jerry St Clair
Seems like good old Cheltenham Town can't go through a summer without turmoil of some kind. Two years ago it was the manager, last year the coaching staff. This year it looks to be the Boardroom.

It does feel like fan anger with the Board is bubbling away and it won't take much to blow the lid off. Positive work over the summer, starting with getting Darrell signed on, will probably head that off. Otherwise, I fear a summer of discontent and that can only lead one way, as FGR found out.
ctfc-fan
Jerry St Clair wrote:Seems like good old Cheltenham Town can't go through a summer without turmoil of some kind. Two years ago it was the manager, last year the coaching staff. This year it looks to be the Boardroom.

It does feel like fan anger with the Board is bubbling away and it won't take much to blow the lid off. Positive work over the summer, starting with getting Darrell signed on, will probably head that off. Otherwise, I fear a summer of discontent and that can only lead one way, as FGR found out.
The board issue is easy. Unless some of those calling for their heads are prepared to stump up money and time to take over, they need to button up.
Leckyfan
ctfc-fan wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 19:43
The board issue is easy. Unless some of those calling for their heads are prepared to stump up money and time to take over, they need to button up.
+1
Jerry St Clair
ctfc-fan wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 19:43
Jerry St Clair wrote:Seems like good old Cheltenham Town can't go through a summer without turmoil of some kind. Two years ago it was the manager, last year the coaching staff. This year it looks to be the Boardroom.

I beg to differ.

We have 7 Board members. Two have departed this week, including the vice-chair. Another, PB, has relinquished shares recently and has indicated he may be winding down after over a quarter of a century.

Which means we have a depleted Board in the short term while we look to replace two, maybe, three key members with the skills and experience to deal with relegation AND push the club forward. This is very far from easy to solve.
Si Robin
Isn't Paul Bence the vice-chair and commercial director? So only he has gone.

PB isn't a board member and hasn't been for a few years now.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 20:11 Isn't Paul Bence the vice-chair and commercial director? So only he has gone.

PB isn't a board member and hasn't been for a few years now.
I meant Bence and Murry Toms. Yes, you're right about PB. So, only two to replace.

We're left with Bloxham, Godfrey, Gowing, Murphy, Beesley.
Si Robin
I completely forgot about Murry.
Shade
Sack the "fans". The level of ignorance by a lot of these people is beyond belief. They have zero knowledge of the club, it seems, and yet they go around shouting things like sack the board, Bloxham is clueless and needs to go, the board needs to put their hand in their pockets, etc, with absolutely no idea of how the club is run. They're an embarrassment.

Plastic fans parroting the kind of s#!t they hear from premier league fans, and thinking we are set up the same way.
Oldun
Why would the remaining five directors want to carry on when they the subject of abuse? Heaven forbid but there might be more resignations yet. As stated before they are volunteers giving time, energy, expertise and experience. They all have the interests of the club at heart and they should not be treated in such a manner. Mr Bence leaving might trigger the same action from others and who would blame any of them for standing down. It seems they have a thankless task and all they get is abuse. It is unbelievable and totally unacceptable!
Btw, thank you Mr Bence for your enormous contribution over the last seven years. If it's not too late, would you consider carrying on for a bit longer and at least until successors can be found for your position and for Mr Toms. Thank you.
Ihearye
Another summer of fun ahead. Why anyone pays any attention or gives credence to anything that is said on FB is beyond me and am surprised that anyone would give up a passion due to it. Am not on FB or X so can only presume that the comments he refers to were personal attacks on himself and not the usual generality of 'sack the board'. I can't / haven't seen what the comments were so am only surmising.
With more money flowing into lower league teams through various benefactors, we are going to have to accept that ours will more than likely be a battle to be mid league two for the foreseeable.
Let's be honest. If it hadn't been for grants / loans we would not have a ground that would allow us to be in the efl. But we got here and then as has been often said on here 'it is the hope that kills you'. Or as the song of a certain age said 'how are you going to keep them down on the farm after they have seen Paris?'.
I have no idea how long the FB folk have been abusive, but presume it has been since the chaotic forum a few days back(?). I would like to think after getting it off his chest, he will reflect on what the fans actually think of the club e.g. have a look at those that made the journey to Stevenage yesterday. Have a look at those that bailed the club out during covid, by buying a season ticket for games they knew they would never see. Have a look at how the fans bought the new scoreboard etc. These are the people who he is putting those hours in for, not some faceless bunch on social media.
WE all like to have our moan as we sit in the stand on a saturday afternoon, my particular bug bear is the selling of block 7 / 8 to away teams for big matches, when it limits our home sales for those very matches), but underneath it all, we are glad to have the chance to be able to come and do that.
As a fan who has thru various amounts of season tickets, has been putting money into the club since the early 80's ( I know it is not vast amounts, but at certain times of my journey it has been a difficult choice), what I would hope the board would be doing on our behalf is
1. Take a bit of time off, to reflect on the GOOD that they see week in week out.
2. Sit down and listen to DC, he is not the answer to everything, but he has a lot of experience and various clubs in various stages of their development. While the board have vast experience of CTFC and only CTFC as far as football goes.
3. I would love DC to be able to meet with the major shareholders. Let them hear his passion and views, hear what he thinks is required. Then have the debate if they are willing to help fund that and to what degree. I am not one for blindly throwing money, and I hesitate to use this term in the current climate, but, seek to fund a well thought out deliverable and measurable development plan. Players and infrastructure. e.g. As a board member / share holder in x years I would like to have in place A and to achieve this we will do B and C.
4. Mr Bence is right in saying in no other business would you get this abuse, but he must have come into this knowing that the passion this game creates will by definition be aired in various ways. Especially when times are not so good. keep this in mind and don't listen to the noise.
5. There are people like myself, and I would say quite a few , that (keeping in mind the current debate about ST prices), will somehow find the money to give ourselves the privilege and pleasure to trundle along and watch the Robins again next year. It is for me that the board are putting the hours in and not for the FB generation.

One final thought - what a strange post to put on linkedin. I have ceased using it a few years back as I thought it's primary raison d'etre of being a 'Business connecting' tool was being overtaken by folk telling me how I must have mental health problems and how I could cure them etc
Warwickshire Robin
Ihearye wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 07:00 Another summer of fun ahead. Why anyone pays any attention or gives credence to anything that is said on FB is beyond me and am surprised that anyone would give up a passion due to it. Am not on FB or X so can only presume that the comments he refers to were personal attacks on himself and not the usual generality of 'sack the board'. I can't / haven't seen what the comments were so am only surmising.
With more money flowing into lower league teams through various benefactors, we are going to have to accept that ours will more than likely be a battle to be mid league two for the foreseeable.
Let's be honest. If it hadn't been for grants / loans we would not have a ground that would allow us to be in the efl. But we got here and then as has been often said on here 'it is the hope that kills you'. Or as the song of a certain age said 'how are you going to keep them down on the farm after they have seen Paris?'.
I have no idea how long the FB folk have been abusive, but presume it has been since the chaotic forum a few days back(?). I would like to think after getting it off his chest, he will reflect on what the fans actually think of the club e.g. have a look at those that made the journey to Stevenage yesterday. Have a look at those that bailed the club out during covid, by buying a season ticket for games they knew they would never see. Have a look at how the fans bought the new scoreboard etc. These are the people who he is putting those hours in for, not some faceless bunch on social media.
WE all like to have our moan as we sit in the stand on a saturday afternoon, my particular bug bear is the selling of block 7 / 8 to away teams for big matches, when it limits our home sales for those very matches), but underneath it all, we are glad to have the chance to be able to come and do that.
As a fan who has thru various amounts of season tickets, has been putting money into the club since the early 80's ( I know it is not vast amounts, but at certain times of my journey it has been a difficult choice), what I would hope the board would be doing on our behalf is
1. Take a bit of time off, to reflect on the GOOD that they see week in week out.
2. Sit down and listen to DC, he is not the answer to everything, but he has a lot of experience and various clubs in various stages of their development. While the board have vast experience of CTFC and only CTFC as far as football goes.
3. I would love DC to be able to meet with the major shareholders. Let them hear his passion and views, hear what he thinks is required. Then have the debate if they are willing to help fund that and to what degree. I am not one for blindly throwing money, and I hesitate to use this term in the current climate, but, seek to fund a well thought out deliverable and measurable development plan. Players and infrastructure. e.g. As a board member / share holder in x years I would like to have in place A and to achieve this we will do B and C.
4. Mr Bence is right in saying in no other business would you get this abuse, but he must have come into this knowing that the passion this game creates will by definition be aired in various ways. Especially when times are not so good. keep this in mind and don't listen to the noise.
5. There are people like myself, and I would say quite a few , that (keeping in mind the current debate about ST prices), will somehow find the money to give ourselves the privilege and pleasure to trundle along and watch the Robins again next year. It is for me that the board are putting the hours in and not for the FB generation.

One final thought - what a strange post to put on linkedin. I have ceased using it a few years back as I thought it's primary raison d'etre of being a 'Business connecting' tool was being overtaken by folk telling me how I must have mental health problems and how I could cure them etc
Excellent post Ihearye and I agree with you totally.
Broadway Brian
Ihearye wrote:Another summer of fun ahead. Why anyone pays any attention or gives credence to anything that is said on FB is beyond me and am surprised that anyone would give up a passion due to it. Am not on FB or X so can only presume that the comments he refers to were personal attacks on himself and not the usual generality of 'sack the board'. I can't / haven't seen what the comments were so am only surmising.

Well, that just about hits the nail on the head. Great post.
ctfc-fan
Ihearye wrote:Another summer of fun ahead. Why anyone pays any attention or gives credence to anything that is said on FB is beyond me and am surprised that anyone would give up a passion due to it. Am not on FB or X so can only presume that the comments he refers to were personal attacks on himself and not the usual generality of 'sack the board'. I can't / haven't seen what the comments were so am only surmising.

It’s easy to see why people like Paul Bence get fed up. As he wrote on his post, he has a flourishing local business employing a lot of people and young children and so many hours in the day. I also know he is also a part of local youth football with his son.

On top of all this he appears to be a huge part of the training ground purchase and has probably sacrificed family time for all this and maybe, with the general attacks against the board, has thought “f… it! Why should I bother with these ungrateful bunch?” It only takes a minority sometimes as they can appear to shout loudest, as in you always hear when someone is unhappy with a restaurant or holiday but but you don’t always get those who were happy posting and reviewing.
Si Robin
Thirded - excellent post Ihearye.

For those who haven't seen it - Paul Bence's post from LinkedIn below:

I was extremely honoured to join the
Board of my local team Cheltenham
Town Football Club almost 7 years ago
to the day. We were facing Hartlepool
in a final game in which we faced
relegation from the Football League. I
would have been the shortest living
football league director in history!
Thankfully we won and my tenure as
Commercial Director began.
For context, I have a young family at
home, 150 people who rely on me for
employment in the tough world of
construction….but have still found
time, and a lot of it, to assist, support
and drive our local football team to
better places. For the absolute
privilege of the community and love of
my local team, rather than money. So
far I have probably spent 12 months of
work hours for the grand old wage of
£0. However I am far from having a
moan as the highs have been worth a
lot more than any value of money.
We have lost in the play offs, been
champions of League 2 and stayed in
League 1 for 3 years. Fact: The most
successful period in our history.
I have also been instrumental in
purchasing the Club’s greatest asset
in 135 years, being our training
ground. We have no doubt invested
our money prudently. Whereas other
teams teams mentioning no names,
have spent over £50m to get to our
position and others over £30m to get
to our position and go back down a
few leagues too! We have spent a very
small fraction of these monies for a lot
more success.
We backed a manager who couldn’t
win for toffee and he become one of
the most successful in our history. We
then backed his replacement and he
did well year 1 but struggled Year 2
and we made the tough decision to
sack him. His replacement has done a
wonderful job this season but we fell a
few inches short of the safe zone!
Oh and we have had the lowest budget
in L1 for three years running and got
promoted on one of the lowest in L2.
We are a truly sustainable club with no
rich owners, passion, big hearts and
marginal gains has taken us a long
way. Just an honest bunch of locals
who have the heart of the Club at their
best interests at all times. No ego’s, no
arrogance, just lots of hard work.
So why do I say all this?
Well scroll through the photos and see
the ill thought out, slanderous and
totally unfair comments being directed
at the Board. (I have left off the very
abusive ones!)
In what other world, industry, business
does this happen? Very few I imagine.
Everyone is of course entitled to their
own opinion but sometimes these poor
commenters have to be careful what
they wish for!
So for all the other fellow lower league
football directors who work miracles
off the field, I salute you.
As for me, I won’t leave my club facing
lower revenues next season without
trying my upmost to raise the finances
with our small hard working team and
leaving them in a good place.
Although my tenure will certainly end
at some point before the start of next
season. Even though I have extremely
thick skin, sticks and stones doesn’t
break bones and all that, but the
constant noise eventually strangles
you and everything needs an end date
and a refresh!
andgarod
By the sound of that post it seems to be calling out a certain podcaster /journalist/commentator
Is said journalist offering any positive suggestions
At the forum there were not many solutions being offered just attacks
I dont listen to many podcasts especially if the go past 25 or 30 minutes so I have no way of knowing if anything positive is suggested on them.

Ian Randall was the quality commentator can we have him back rather than the pair we have now on BBC Glos

Can we also have an update on Luke Southwood

The new season start on or around 10th August
New pitch
New players
New board members?
Same manager!
Jerry St Clair
HamTown wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 17:54
These two are real unknowns, I’d say.

Pett came here for Darrell. Whether Darrell stays or not will surely be the key factor.

Sloggett has looked promising and one of the reasons he’s here is because his girlfriend plays for Bristol City and the location suits him.

I’d be tempted give him a whirl in L2.
Si Robin
andgarod wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 07:50 By the sound of that post it seems to be calling out a certain podcaster /journalist/commentator
I dont listen to many podcasts especially if the go past 25 or 30 minutes so I have no way of knowing if anything positive is suggested on them.

Ian Randall was the quality commentator can we have him back rather than the pair we have now on BBC Glos

New pitch
New players
New board members?
Same manager!
I don't see how that's aimed at Mark at all - it's aimed at idiots posting "Sack the Board" and even more defamatory stuff on Facebook. Paul Baker spent a lot of last night calling out people for saying the board were taking money out of the club (they aren't) and claiming Wilcox had a plan but was stabbed in the back.

You don't listen to the pod, so I suggest it gives you no right to criticise it.
Si Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 07:52
HamTown wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 17:54
These two are real unknowns, I’d say.

Pett came here for Darrell. Whether Darrell stays or not will surely be the key factor.

Sloggett has looked promising and one of the reasons he’s here is because his girlfriend plays for Bristol City and the location suits him.

I’d be tempted give him a whirl in L2.
My understanding is that we have the option on Pett's deal and not him. I suspect this'll be enforced so he won't be able to just up and leave regardless of what happens with DC.

I agree re: Sloggett. Looks a good player and could be useful next season.
Horteng
andgarod wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 07:50 By the sound of that post it seems to be calling out a certain podcaster /journalist/commentator

New pitch
New players
New board members?
Same manager!
Be careful questioning said journalist as you'll get shot down like I did. What I don't understand.... Well two things really. 1. Where is the £12 million coming from to build a stand and who would invest in that on rented land. And two why does this appear to automatically raise more money that what we have. Granted the old stand is tired but it has catering and bar facilities, conferencing, meeting rooms etc. What else would a new stand offer that will automatically bring all this extra income like MH proposes and how is it guaranteed to bring in probably £1 million pounds per year which is what we probably need to be sustainable.
QED
Oldun wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 18:32 Do we know why Mr Bence is going?

On another subject, any news on Luke Southwood. Shame we couldn't give him the send off that we gave to the rest of the team this afternoon. A great asset to the side and an amazing two year stint with us.
It’s a broken leg.
Warwickshire Robin
QED wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 08:07
Oldun wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 18:32 Do we know why Mr Bence is going?

It’s a broken leg.
That's a surprise as they didn't splint it or anything before lifting him onto the stretcher. No wonder the lad was yelling out in pain. Get well soon Luke, hope you make a swift recovery.
Si Robin
Indeed - get well Luke. Been a fantastic keeper for us.
asl
Nothing on his Twatter, nothing on the official site, no mention in the report nor DCs interview. Has another player said something? Definitely his ankle (yes, I realise that's part of his leg, but "broken leg" conjures up images of tibia and fibula, which I'm pretty certain it wasn't).
asl
From a purely selfish perspective, might a bad injury actually be our best chance of holding on to him...?
Warwickshire Robin
asl wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 08:24 Nothing on his Twatter, nothing on the official site, no mention in the report nor DCs interview. Has another player said something? Definitely his ankle (yes, I realise that's part of his leg, but "broken leg" conjures up images of tibia and fibula, which I'm pretty certain it wasn't).
Twitter post from Jon Palmer this morning.