Ground Hopping

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Saturday I completed sixty of the current 91 football league grounds with CTFC, I am sure others will have done more but what is your favourite away trip and what is the club best ground you have been too with CTFC?

For me my favourite was West Ham, the best Sunderland. In the lower leagues the is are Rotherham but I really enjoy trips to Huddersfield, Bradford, Pompey and York either due to atmopshere or local city.

Least favourite would be Northampton (souless basic match box ground), Wimbledon (very non-league ground) or Carlisle (such a long way to go).
Shade
I like Carlisle. It feels kinda special with it being so obviously old (it's got soul) and so far away from anywhere else, the last out-post of England (in the west). Plus my nan used to live there so I expect I just have an attachment of sorts.

Best away ground for me though...probably Elland Road.

Worst...Leyton Orient. Whole day was a shambles, we lost and I think the seats were made from recycled church benches, but less comfortable. The Mem is also an obvious contender for being the biggest sh!thole in the league.
Ralph
I know that they are not in the league again just yet but it still is memorable

Luton, terrible ground, horrid away end with the smallest areas to sit ever. Walking up steps looking into peoples houses as you go in the stand. Problems for some fans getting their cars attacked.. Luton = disgusting

I liked the Vetch in Swansea, old school proper away end. Big slope and that little wooden box snacks kiosk right in the middle

I always loved going in the away end at Ninian Park too.. way better than stadiums now and a great atmosphere
Oldun
Funny you mention Ninian. Have to say that cup game there (Jules sent off!) was worsts ever away day in my 50 plus years following the Robs. Hated it. Scared to death!
Loved going to Weymouth, Poole, Dorchester, Grantham in non league days. Best in league? Like Exeter.
Robin
I actually thought the cup game at Cardiff was great, the home fans were extremely vocal and there was no threat to safety - athough I did go down on the official coaches!
Ralph
Oldun wrote:Funny you mention Ninian. Have to say that cup game there (Jules sent off!) was worsts ever away day in my 50 plus years following the Robs. Hated it. Scared to death!
Loved going to Weymouth, Poole, Dorchester, Grantham in non league days. Best in league? Like Exeter.
that cup game was where we had 2 away trips there in a week. Loved it!
joes dad
Oldun wrote:Funny you mention Ninian. Have to say that cup game there (Jules sent off!) was worsts ever away day in my 50 plus years following the Robs. Hated it. Scared to death!
Wasn't Josh Low mom that day?
Jebolani
Swindon is decent, Plymouth a good one too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Worst I have been is Gillingham. Horrible walk from station to the horrible temporary stand, in the other half of which were horrible home fans chanting "BNP BNP". Only time I felt any fear travelling to and from the ground - including Millwall and shuttle bus to and from Elland Rd.

Best league experiences I have had are Notts County where the whole day out was decent, Torquay as always go on the beach before the game and Rotherham as found some nice pubs, a canal walk and a decent stadium - same as Notts in fact.
CTFC03
Rotherham is a definitely up there, Dagenham is a good away day, Torquay, Plymouth are very good. Worst I've been to is probably Stevenage and then after that Gillingham/Bristol Rovers.
robinsrule
60 grounds is a pretty good effort. I'm probably on about 40 with Cheltenham, 50 in total.

My favorites include White Hart Lane and Meadow Lane. Huddersfield's ground is nice. The acoustics in the away end at Southend are brilliant. Shrewsbury's old ground was a dump but had character. I like Bramall Lane too, and Hillsborough is one of my favorite grounds (though Cheltenham have never played there).
Artemis
I quite like Chesterfield's new ground. The centre of Chesterfield has some history and the Rutland Arms opposite the church is one of the best pubs I've been in for a wee while. Friendly bunch of fans too.
taxidave
Artemis wrote:I quite like Chesterfield's new ground. The centre of Chesterfield has some history and the Rutland Arms opposite the church is one of the best pubs I've been in for a wee while. Friendly bunch of fans too.
Yes I think that is the pub we found in Chesterfield, also the one up the road from the new ground, the "Derby Tup" is a very popular pub serving some excellent real ales, likewise the pubs near the old Saltergate were very good.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Plus Chesterfield station has a milk vending machine on the platform. I have never seen one anywhere else.
Robin
I also agree Chesterfield (althought pretty small) shows little clubs can design decent stadiums for lower league football.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I agree Robin, something we could learn from you think?