Gary Owers

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
Has resigned as first team coach at Plymouth. Formerly coach at FGR and Manager at Bath. Could he be the one?
Si Robin
Two comments from January 2013 regarding his spell at FGR (taken from the FGR Messageboard)
Always rated Gary Owers when he was manager at FGR. Came in with the club in conf north then we stayed up cause of Northwich then with what I presume wasn't a big budget kept us in the conf? Always identified good players like Lawless, Clist, Jones, Bruno etc. Was also unlucky to get the sack I felt but after the JH reign was probably good he did. I wish him all the best in his new role.
Unlucky to get sacked! You have a very blinkered memory. He did ok to keep us up and dud attract some good players to the new lawn but we were truely awful in our first season at our new ground with what was probably our biggest ever budget at the time. Tony Butler and Christian Edwards In defence remember that shambles! I also remember his last game against Gravesend we were shocking. I hadn't ever do e it before but started the Owers out chant at the end of that game and then heard on the way home from the game that he had gone. Gary was a great player for FGR a class act but a poor manager he could spot and attract good players but had no idea how to play them ( sounds a bit familiar! )
Robin
Yates Mark II by the sounds of it! Would be good to understand what he did at Plymouth and why he is leaving down there.