Gillespie

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/d- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Get him fit, get him in the team and he will get it in the net.

I would love it if he came back.
confused.com
Pity he didn't love it as much as that, when he was here :roll:
Horteng
Think id be saying the same if I was out of work!
Horteng
Think he's too much of a liability.... We need to look at fresh faces IMO
Robin
Cureton was better than Gilly is now and I say that as one of Stevie's biggest fans.
VeraLickleklubsBack
Think SICK NOTE! Always was, always will be.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
Pity he didn't love it as much as that, when he was here :roll:
I am not sure another player in my years of watching has carried a team so single-handedly. In L1 at times when we struggled under Ward/Downing, Gillespie doing something individual and exceptional was our only chance of getting close to a goal - it was just a case of whether the other nine outfield players could huff and puff sufficiently to get him the ball and not concede more than one goal.
51/84
pay and play

2 players having medicals - routine or are we looking at 2 sick notes
Si Robin
I have never known a club sign a player permanently without them undergoing a medical. That's lunacy on a whole new level.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:pay and play

Who knows - what we do know is that every signing made by every club has a routine medical, and any sick note issues should be revealed during that process.
Horteng
51/84 wrote:pay and play

Are you for real?
51/84
Absolutely for real Horteng simple question are they routine medicals or are we looking at 2 sicknotes

Gillespie would need investigating , summerfield would need investigating as he missed a large chunk of last season
Noble has an on going problem

So there are routine examinations or more in depth examinations
If we end up signing 2 players that have had bad injury records then i trust the medical is a bit more than routine

Is that really to difficult to understand or do I need to explain things in an even simpler way for you Horteng?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:Absolutely for real Horteng simple question are they routine medicals or are we looking at 2 sicknotes

Gillespie would need investigating , summerfield would need investigating as he missed a large chunk of last season

If we end up signing 2 players that have had bad injury records then i trust the medical is a bit more than routine

Is that really to difficult to understand or do I need to explain things in an even simpler way for you Horteng?
51/84 - none of us on here know the answer so is there any need for stirring. I will repeat what I wrote a couple of posts above if you care to digest:

Who knows - what we do know is that every signing made by every club has a routine medical, and any sick note issues should be revealed during that process.
Horteng
51/84 wrote:Absolutely for real Horteng simple question are they routine medicals or are we looking at 2 sicknotes

Every player would have a medical prior to a permanent signing so what are you on about 2 sick notes?! Its not that your post are hard to read..... Its more a case that they are hard to believe!
51/84
So are you telling me that a player who has had a serious injury or has hay fever or asthma or a history of back pain etc gets exactly the same medical as a player who has never missed a match in 3 years and has no no record of injury or medical condition

Surely you can see the difference in approach that a medical examination would take if there was a previous injury or problem
How did Asa Hartford ( a whole hearted player) not get picked up my some medicals
David Noble springs to mind as a player who we signed on a long term loan to only discover he had a medical issue
Byron also had a back issue , which I assume the club knew about

I would class Gillespie and Summerfield as sick notes and would need further assurances of medical fitness.
If you dont want to understand the posting then thats entirely up to you
I happen to believe that there are different scenarios depending on medical history
Si Robin
I think the real point is why are you questioning it?

We have, arguably, the best physio in the League (I'm sure I read he won an award for last season) so I think it stands to reason that the necessary medical would be carried out on the relevant player.

You seem to be questioning every little aspect of the club as if it is run by people that do not know their ass from their elbow.

EDIT - Evidence of my point about Ian Weston winning an award - http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Ch ... story.html
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:So are you telling me that a player who has had a serious injury or has hay fever or asthma or a history of back pain etc gets exactly the same medical as a player who has never missed a match in 3 years and has no no record of injury or medical condition

Surely you can see the difference in approach that a medical examination would take if there was a previous injury or problem
How did Asa Hartford ( a whole hearted player) not get picked up my some medicals
David Noble springs to mind as a player who we signed on a long term loan to only discover he had a medical issue

I would class Gillespie and Summerfield as sick notes and would need further assurances of medical fitness.
I happen to believe that there are different scenarios depending on medical history
Only argument seems to be your interpretation of the word 'routine'.

I don't think any medical is generic or that any players have identical medicals.

I would say a 'routine' medical involves testing the player and looking more specifically at anything relevant to that player. If a player has a history of a bad knee then that will be looked at more, etc etc.

Like a car service where it's noted "needs a new fan belt next time" the medical history of a player will travel with him and will inform the medical at the next club.

Not really sure this was ever a question that needed to be raised.
51/84
I can see where you are coming from RCS but I would suggest that we did not do our homework properly on Noble

In the rush to sign someone because training starts or the perception is value for money then there needs to be caution
If a player or an agent with holds relevant medical information then I suspect the contract can be cancelled ( I am no lawyer) but I am sure others will correct me

If the medical takes 15 minutes compared with say 1 hour then there is obviously something worth investigating unless the doc and the player are old mates and are just catching up on things

Its interesting how people on here seem to feel the need to defend the club from any supposed criticism, perhaps its in their make up

If you look back at the posts on here and on the club site re Noble you will see several say there was an ongoing problem when the club didnt
I suspect that Weso knew early on that Noble was not going to be fit after 1 or 2 games.

I only suggested that if we are looking at some of the names being talked about the medical will be shall we say rotine in so far as finding out the nature of the previous injuries and their rehabilitation
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:I can see where you are coming from RCS but I would suggest that we did not do our homework properly on Noble

In the rush to sign someone because training starts or the perception is value for money then there needs to be caution
If a player or an agent with holds relevant medical information then I suspect the contract can be cancelled ( I am no lawyer) but I am sure others will correct me

If the medical takes 15 minutes compared with say 1 hour then there is obviously something worth investigating unless the doc and the player are old mates and are just catching up on things

Its interesting how people on here seem to feel the need to defend the club from any supposed criticism, perhaps its in their make up

If you look back at the posts on here and on the club site re Noble you will see several say there was an ongoing problem when the club didnt
I suspect that Weso knew early on that Noble was not going to be fit after 1 or 2 games.

I only suggested that if we are looking at some of the names being talked about the medical will be shall we say rotine in so far as finding out the nature of the previous injuries and their rehabilitation
Depends on the risk clubs are prepared to take.

Demba Ba a prominent example:

- Had knee trouble so left West Ham

- Had a thorough medical at Stoke but their policy was was that the knee was too high risk so didn't sign

- Newcastle prepared to take the risk, and he scored 50+ goals and they sold to Chelsea for £7m.

BUT:

- Newcastle took the same risk on a couple of other players (Ben Arfa, Gosling) and that hasn't paid off so much.

The only high profile example where I believe a club made a real mess-up by ignoring a medical was Hull City signing Jimmy Bullard when they were caught up in their own hype. Did his knee badly at Fulham. Came back after ages out and kept them up and started next season on fire. Fulham knew it was just a matter of time before he broke down again so snapped Hull's hands off for the £5million and Bullard laughing at the £50k p/w

Hull rushed the deal through star-struck and caught up in the dream in near-fatal fashion. He collapses first game and misses the season aside from the last couple of games. Where he scored the goal to keep them up (maybe it was worth it after all?).
Horteng
51/84 wrote:So are you telling me that a player who has had a serious injury or has hay fever or asthma or a history of back pain etc gets exactly the same medical as a player who has never missed a match in 3 years and has no no record of injury or medical condition

Not even bothering to read that. Your making a mountain out of a mole hill..... Simple as!
51/84
I thought you had me on ignore horteng
CheltRobin
I really would think the club know what they are doing concerning medicals, especially with new signings. They would've surely learned from the Noble issue.

Anyway, back to Gilly. Great natural striker, but his injury record is surely too much for Chelt to consider re-signing him.

A big gamble, and we dont need to start doing that before the season has even started.
51/84
if the price is right
get him in now on a short term and get him fit
CheltRobin
As a back-up option maybe , not as a 1st choice, IMO anyway. No doubting his ability thou.
everyman
Horteng wrote:Think id be saying the same if I was out of work!
Sounds like he is touting himself for a job,desperate ?
horlickfanclub
Zero hours contact at living wage would be worthwhile offering.
CheltRobin
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: