Ratings v York

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Probably deserved to get a draw for the much-improved second-half performance.

Carson - 4: some awful distribution, but didn't have a lot else to do.

Brown - 4: I'm not suggesting the goal was his fault, but 10 seconds before that ball went into the back of the net, he was chasing down their defender in their right-back position. I said at the time, "what on Earth is he doing there??" It's not as if he'd stayed up following a corner or free-kick or anything.
Deaman - 5: was 'okay' for the first 45 mins. Nothing more.
Elliott - 6: looked more comfortable when we switched to 442 and had a decent game.

Vaughan - 4: gets some credit for the occasional good tackle or cross - but how many times did he give the ball away??
Hanks - 4: rightly subbed before he got sent off, had rings run round him by the York midfield. Deserved his yellow and, after that, the stern talking to. About the only thing the ref did get right, unfortunately.
Taylor - 7: not my most favourite player - but a good shout for MotM, today. Showed good strength and bravery.
Richards - 6: fits and starts. Half-decent one minute, then panicky and wasteful the next.
Brabham-Barratt - 6: continues his steady start to the season. Did okay but had little end-product, unfortunately.

Gornell - 6: pretty anonymous in the first half (as were most of the Cheltenham players) but much better in the second. Missed our best chance to equalise when he put that header wide.
Marquis - 6: harshly carded for a ball he had every right to go for, IMO, and from that point on looked like a second yellow waiting to happen.

De Vita - 5: what few times he saw the ball, he was tidy enough. Didn't see much of it, though.
Eusabio - 7: a sad indictment of the team's first half performance when a HT sub rightly gets MotM. Brought some much needed excitement to the game although he tired after his first 30 mins or so. Without a doubt, the game changed in our favour when he came on and we switched formation.
Harrison - 5: at least when he came on we had someone who can actually control the ball.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hmm. Is Brown becoming too much of a liability these days? Seems most goals we concede involve him doing something odd or poor.
Benctfc
asl wrote:Probably deserved to get a draw for the much-improved second-half performance.

Carson - 4: some awful distribution, but didn't have a lot else to do.

Brown - 4: I'm not suggesting the goal was his fault, but 10 seconds before that ball went into the back of the net, he was chasing down their defender in their right-back position. I said at the time, "what on Earth is he doing there??" It's not as if he'd stayed up following a corner or free-kick or anything.
Deaman - 5: was 'okay' for the first 45 mins. Nothing more.
Elliott - 6: looked more comfortable when we switched to 442 and had a decent game.

Vaughan - 4: gets some credit for the occasional good tackle or cross - but how many times did he give the ball away??
Hanks - 4: rightly subbed before he got sent off, had rings run round him by the York midfield. Deserved his yellow and, after that, the stern talking to. About the only thing the ref did get right, unfortunately.
Taylor - 7: not my most favourite player - but a good shout for MotM, today. Showed good strength and bravery.
Richards - 6: fits and starts. Half-decent one minute, then panicky and wasteful the next.
Brabham-Barratt - 6: continues his steady start to the season. Did okay but had little end-product, unfortunately.

Gornell - 6: pretty anonymous in the first half (as were most of the Cheltenham players) but much better in the second. Missed our best chance to equalise when he put that header wide.
Marquis - 6: harshly carded for a ball he had every right to go for, IMO, and from that point on looked like a second yellow waiting to happen.

De Vita - 5: what few times he saw the ball, he was tidy enough. Didn't see much of it, though.
Eusabio - 7: a sad indictment of the team's first half performance when a HT sub rightly gets MotM. Brought some much needed excitement to the game although he tired after his first 30 mins or so. Without a doubt, the game changed in our favour when he came on and we switched formation.
Harrison - 5: at least when he came on we had someone who can actually control the ball.
Can't agree with this thought he was excellent and when had the ball looked to make something happen. His ball to Gornell when he missed that simple header was class I thought him and Eusabio were all that was good from today.
Malabus
Jason Taylor never stopped. MOTM by a distance.
vickeryc
I wouldn't consider Troy Brown a liability because he does a lot of things right amongst a few costly errors recently. Steve Elliott had a similar spell last season when everything seemed to go wrong for him, but he returned to being Mr Reliable after a few games' rest. Maybe Troy needs a break, but we don't have the luxury of strength in depth. He's still young and learning, and deserves a break from too much criticism IMO.

ASI's ratings are largely spot-on, though I'd give Byron and Da Vita higher than 5 and maybe Eusebio deserved 8 even though he only played in the second half. I agree that Jason Taylor put in a good, battling performance. By comparison, Matt Richards was disappointing - no more than a 5.
Joey
There must have been about 4 players back when York scored, difficult to blame it entirely on Troy.
asl
Joey wrote:There must have been about 4 players back when York scored, difficult to blame it entirely on Troy.
Good job I clearly didn't, then, eh? :roll:
tunnelvision
Joey wrote:There must have been about 4 players back when York scored, difficult to blame it entirely on Troy.
My main issue is that Troy didn't make enough effort to get back into position. De Vita took up his position, but having only just come on, may not have been up to speed - hardly a defender either. That said, we were lucky not to have been punished earlier from similar through balls.

Also, for me De Vita doesn't work hard enough, although seems to have some quality.
thetonga
Personally, I feel that Deaman is definitely the liability in the defence, not Brown.

And just because Gornell has got a few goals, it doesn't mean he has suddenly turned overnight into a world beater. Offered very little apart from making a real hash of a golden chance and although Marquis was on a yellow, I'd have much rather Gornell had gone off.

I'm still more likely of winning the lottery than Richards putting a tackle in.
horlickfanclub
Asl ,regency and tunnell failed to spot that after Hanks went off Brown moved to a midfield position in front of a back four as per the Plymouth game . He went forward to win a tackle and got caught. He was NOT playing in the same position we started with. Tactical genius by our Manager not.Thankfully this was corrected at half time. Hopefully we will not see Troy lumbering about in midfield again.
asl
horlickfanclub wrote:Asl ,regency and tunnell failed to spot that after Hanks went off Brown moved to a midfield position in front of a back four
He certainly was in front of the back four, I agree. About 60 yards in front of them, in fact... ;)

No, you're right: I hadn't noticed the formation change. But I'm still not convinced he was doing his job at the time of the goal.
solihullkev
Gornell missed two sitters - cannot see what else he did to get a 6.

De Vita does look decent class - agree his cross to Gornell was spot on.

Vaughan - 3 dreadful passes, but he did link up well with De Vita second half ; if he can significantly improve his distribution he can make a difference.
tunnelvision
asl wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Asl ,regency and tunnell failed to spot that after Hanks went off Brown moved to a midfield position in front of a back four
He certainly was in front of the back four, I agree. About 60 yards in front of them, in fact... ;)

No, you're right: I hadn't noticed the formation change. But I'm still not convinced he was doing his job at the time of the goal.
Me neither, although only partly explains why he was challenging the York right-back near their corner flag. If this was a tactical change by MY, then it completely backfired, as it led directly to their goal. I still think Troy could have made more effort to get back, but gave up once he got to the centre circle. Whether he could have got back in time to prevent the goal though is debatable.
Uppy
I really think that we need a new right back. Can't fault Vaughan's effort, but he is terrible.
Shade
Vaughan's passing is absolutely atrocious. The rest of his game is decent enough. As for the goal, I think it was Deaman at fault. Let his man turn him way too easily and it's the same sort of goal we've conceded for 3 or 4 games in a row now (not saying they were all Deaman's fault). No wonder he was the one hauled off at half time for Eusebio because 4 or 5 times he looked off it on Saturday.