Emperor's New Clothes

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

solihullkev
Today highlighted what I have thought about for some time - Joe Hanks is not up to it or ready for league football. He was embarrassed.
Oldun
Along with 4-5 others who are on the bench and in and out the side. e.g. Black, Marquis, Omari etc
Same situation as last season as when Mansfield came here on an awful run. And who could be to blame for all this? The fans get an apology.....many of us want more than that from the Manager! How does he survive shambles after shambles?
Baggio
solihullkev wrote:Today highlighted what I have thought about for some time - Joe Hanks is not up to it or ready for league football. He was embarrassed.
So he has one bad half (along with the rest of the team,) and "he's not up for it or ready for league football"? So when did this vision come to you? Was it when he scored the winner against Bury? Or perhaps when he came on and got the equaliser against Dagenham? Maybe when he got MoM against Cambridge ? Couldn't have been when we got smashed by Plymouth or Shrewsbury because he never even played! The only person embarrassed today is you talking such rubbish!
When are you coming back into town with Billy Smart and the rest of the circus, Clown!
trickster
Not sure what was up with Hanks today but for 40 minutes he looked completely lost, slow ponderous and a liability Yates had no option but to drag him off, he’s young so it’s difficult to know how he will do but today he was embarrassing.
51/84
I raised the question after the Plymouth game and got shouted down
The problem is there is no replacement for him as he was the cover for cm
So much for giving youth a chance
Do we expect hanks to be better than seasoned pros all the time
solihullkev
Baggio - he's not good enough, get over it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I would rather see Hanks than a series of random loans.

If we are going to pay £20 to watch L2 dross let us at least have some local passionate players to get behind.

As stated above, Hanks has done more than enough to show he is ok for L2.
horlickfanclub
i agree with Regency. Vaughans passing was dreadful but he avoids the chop Hanks will only learn by playing devious old pros like Penn.
Robin
To be honest I feel Hanks has been one of our better players this season.

Lee Vaughan and Troy Brown are two that need to show a big improvement in my eyes.
asl
Just before the goal, I was having a conversation about wishing we had Lowe in the squad rather than Brown.
Nesty
asl wrote:Just before the goal, I was having a conversation about wishing we had Lowe in the squad rather than Brown.
And....... Wish we had Jombati, Penn, Summerfield, Duffy, McGlashan.....

What we have seen over the last 2 seasons is a gradual devaluation of the quality in the squad, it seems some of the current bunch, as well as the kids, have been signed just to make up the numbers, the quality of some is still in question.
Baggio
solihullkev wrote:Baggio - he's not good enough, get over it.
Kev - what are we going to do? spend money every time someone has an indifferent game? I think you need to be realistic about who you're supporting. Who is doing better than Hanks? As you can see from most of the replies, you're the only one getting on his back, so what does that tell you? The financial position we are in means we have to back these young guys and give them a run of games and show a bit of faith, not blame them for every bad result.
Unless of course you want to stump up the cash so we can get Pirlo in? :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
asl wrote:Just before the goal, I was having a conversation about wishing we had Lowe in the squad rather than Brown.
And....... Wish we had Jombati, Penn, Summerfield, Duffy, McGlashan.....

What we have seen over the last 2 seasons is a gradual devaluation of the quality in the squad, it seems some of the current bunch, as well as the kids, have been signed just to make up the numbers, the quality of some is still in question.
That is the financial reality.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Baggio wrote:
solihullkev wrote:Baggio - he's not good enough, get over it.
Kev - what are we going to do? spend money every time someone has an indifferent game? I think you need to be realistic about who you're supporting. Who is doing better than Hanks? As you can see from most of the replies, you're the only one getting on his back, so what does that tell you? The financial position we are in means we have to back these young guys and give them a run of games and show a bit of faith, not blame them for every bad result.
Unless of course you want to stump up the cash so we can get Pirlo in? :roll:
Kev showing the Premier League watching mindset. Yes on sky for the Prem pantomime people will discuss chopping players and buying new ones etc. But L2 is a different world.
solihullkev
Those at the game yesterday will have seen once Hanks was replaced ( with another change too I accept) we were a totally different team. At no time have I suggested we buy another player. We have enough better players in the squad not to need him, even more so when Hall is fit.

Just because he is home grown does not mean he is either good enough or we should favour him above others.
CTFC03
Joe Hanks has been excellent this season, one bad game doesn't make you a poor footballer.
Robin
I do feel we made a mistake releasing Sido and signing Vaughan. Sido would have been awesome in the current formation. I know it's a step up but Vaughan has not overly impressed me yet.
Benctfc
I think it is very unfair to just single out Hanks. Yes he wasn't great but there wasn't one player in the first half that played well. All the midfielders were non existent.
CTFC_4eva
The only thing embarrassing about yesterday is everyone getting on Lee Vaughan and Joe Hanks' back after one bad game. Along with Trev Carson they have been the stand out performers for us this season and to slate them after one game is awful! Both of them will learn from yesterday and be better players for it.

We need to stick behind our players and not get straight on there back when it's all going wrong.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:Those at the game yesterday will have seen once Hanks was replaced ( with another change too I accept) we were a totally different team. At no time have I suggested we buy another player. We have enough better players in the squad not to need him, even more so when Hall is fit.

Just because he is home grown does not mean he is either good enough or we should favour him above others.
Equally games have changed for the better when he has been brought off the bench. That is the point of substitutes. If a player is having an off day or the shape is not working you can change it. Sometimes even the best players in the squad are taken off for these reasons and it makes the team better. That is football.
Baggio
solihullkev wrote:Those at the game yesterday will have seen once Hanks was replaced ( with another change too I accept) we were a totally different team. At no time have I suggested we buy another player. We have enough better players in the squad not to need him, even more so when Hall is fit.

Kev, I don't want this to drag on, but I don't see these "enough better players in the squad not to need him". Like many people have previously said, it's no good getting a load of loan signings in either, because you're not building anything. Btw I think being home grown has worked against him way more than in his favour.
tunnelvision
trickster wrote:Not sure what was up with Hanks today but for 40 minutes he looked completely lost, slow ponderous and a liability Yates had no option but to drag him off, he’s young so it’s difficult to know how he will do but today he was embarrassing.
Problem was that he picked up a booking after only 10 mins, for a clumsy tackle. Little more than a trip in the centre circle, but the ref couldn't wait to brandish a card. Could have been dealt with using just a reprimand, especially at such an early stage in the game. From then on Hanks struggled to get involved, knowing that a second yellow might not be far away. After then giving away a free kick, for a high boot on Penn, it was quite likely that another infringement would see him walk. MY did the right thing by taking him off before that happened. Ironically, Hanks had just had his best spell in the game.

For me the midfield shape was all wrong, with Richards, Taylor & Hanks all in a straight line. Not sure if that was all down to Hanks, but the changes in the second half provided for more width and put York on the back-foot. Shame we didn't start like that.
Robin
CTFC_4eva wrote:The only thing embarrassing about yesterday is everyone getting on Lee Vaughan and Joe Hanks' back after one bad game. Along with Trev Carson they have been the stand out performers for us this season and to slate them after one game is awful! Both of them will learn from yesterday and be better players for it.

We need to stick behind our players and not get straight on there back when it's all going wrong.
Sorry I know he is still adjusting but I can't think of one game where I have been overly impressed with Vaughan, he's not been terrible but he does need to improve.
CTFC03
Vaughan looks like he is about to make a mistake sometimes which worries me although he has been good in some games.
Reliant Robin
Yesterday was a tough game for young Joe. I agree with Tunnelvision's assessment that he got off to an unlucky start with an over exuberant Ref, and didn't really recover, but that doesn't make him a bad player as others have correctly said, and it certainly doesn't mean he's not up to it.

Joe will learn a lot from a game like this. It's about backbone and Joe has that and the experience of yesterday will make him a better player. It wasn't the game for him yesterday, but this is a big part of his development, it is not an opportunity for the wannabes in the crowd who have never played at this level to make the judgement call about whether he's good enough. He is good enough, but he is still learning his trade. Give the lad a chance, he will deliver.
solihullkev
How very pious Reliant Robin - in the absence of FIFA badges you are just as much of a wannabe manager in the stands as well ! Your opinion he will make it is appropriately and similarly valued as mine.
Reliant Robin
solihullkev wrote:How very pious Reliant Robin - in the absence of FIFA badges you are just as much of a wannabe manager in the stands as well ! Your opinion he will make it is appropriately and similarly valued as mine.
Sorry matey, you are wrong there. I do have coaching badges. You know nothing about me with all due respect, but I bet I am more qualified to dismiss your wannabe attitude than you are mine ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reliant Robin wrote:
solihullkev wrote:How very pious Reliant Robin - in the absence of FIFA badges you are just as much of a wannabe manager in the stands as well ! Your opinion he will make it is appropriately and similarly valued as mine.
Sorry matey, you are wrong there. I do have coaching badges. You know nothing about me with all due respect, but I bet I am more qualified to dismiss your wannabe attitude than you are mine ;)
If Hanks had an exotic name and was on loan from a higher division and had scored the goals he has this season then no doubt those currently criticising would be creaming all over him. It's always frustrating how a local youth product need to 'prove themselves' and will be dismissed until they do, but an equally untested young player coming from a higher division are lauded and people want to play them every week.
solihullkev
RCS - plainly you have not seen Eusebio, Arthur or Hanks play for CTFC this season
solihullkev
Oh Reliant Robin, you must be right then. I take all back. You are far smarter.

Do you have Cycling Proficiency badge too ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:RCS - plainly you have not seen Eusebio, Arthur or Hanks play for CTFC this season
No but I am led to believe the former is 'scarcely believable', which sounds just as cringeworthy and OTT to me as someone saying Hanks is not good enough for League Two.
solihullkev
RCS - when you have seen yesterday's game and stopped cringing, you can provide an informed comment.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:RCS - when you have seen yesterday's game and stopped cringing, you can provide an informed comment.
So you are admitting you are writing off a player's career based purely on one 40 minutes of football, in which many have said on here was his worst game by a country mile after previous good performances?

The height of informed comment if so.
Baggio
Well RCS may or may not have coaching badges, but one thing's for sure.......you clearly haven't ! You proved that with your loose comparison between Hanks, Arthur and Eusebio. Totally different players.
You're one of those guys who makes your mind up about someone after 10 minutes and NOTHING can change that no matter how much you're proved wrong!
At this level , SUPPORTERS are needed , not people who moan for the sake of it. Criticism is fine, if a.) it's constructive and b.) you offer an alternative. Btw I notice when I asked you to name "all these other options" , radio silence descended upon Solihull! Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I certainly do not have coaching badges. Reliant Robin most likely does though.