Time to go Yates

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

bigdavejambo
losing at home to a pub team coupled with recent performances isnt goood enough. You are taking this club back to non-league and you cant be allowed to continue.......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Haha. Letting your extreme anti-York sentiments get to you their.
horlickfanclub
Useless rejig after Hanks went off meant a few minutes of chaos and we gave the goal away. The second half was better once we had some width.Yates gets it wrong/right/wrong/wrong. We need some clear steady guidance.
Oldun
I think you mean he gets it wrong/wrong /wrong/ wrong/ half right/ wrong etc.
There have been a couple of good away performances and results, but nothing at home to rave about at all. Odd goal wins is all we have to show at Whaddon and some pretty inept performances too.
The Manager has assembled a core of about 7 players good enough for this league, has 6 or so who are clearly not, even in his own view, as he does not play them.
I keep asking, "Whose fault is that?".
(And before someone says about being unlucky with injuries to Asa and others, anyone remember what SC did when Archie was injured and going to be out for weeks? Brought in someone better. What happened this season (and last) with players that went missing? Koby goes and we get Marquis! Look at our goals scored column!
Finally, before someone asks me who is "out there" to replace MY, I guess the same question was being asked when SC took over. McCann is mentioned, Elliott with North could be considered, etc. Anything would be better than struggling on with the same set up as now. Please Mr Baker, do the sensible thing, and do it now!
TheHorseRacer
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Haha. Letting your extreme anti-York sentiments get to you their.
For someone who reckons to hate York City that much he's managed to see them play at St.Johnstone and Newport County away this season.You couldn't get two teams further away from York.
solihullkev
Ridiculous to suggest a change before what is probably our biggest game of the season. That plainly cannot and will not happen.

Financially I would very much doubt we will sack Yates unless our league status is in jeopardy. Listening to PB every pound is a prisoner at the moment and I assume we would need to pay up the balance of Yates' contract if he was sacked. Sounds like we don't have that money.
TheHorseRacer
bigdavejambo wrote:losing at home to a pub team coupled with recent performances isnt goood enough. You are taking this club back to non-league and you cant be allowed to continue.......
You should be used to watching pub teams with some of the dross that you've supported over the years.
Oldun
Disagree Kev. Even if we were to win, it won't make MY a good manager overnight. We can't afford to drift on and on.
Nesty
Baker says every pound is important - the longer he keeps Yates here the income is only going one way
bigdavejambo
Nesty wrote:Baker says every pound is important - the longer he keeps Yates here the income is only going one way
if he only signed a one-year deal then compo wouldnt be that much surely as I cant imagine Yates would be on that big a wage?
Nesty
bigdavejambo wrote:
Nesty wrote:Baker says every pound is important - the longer he keeps Yates here the income is only going one way
if he only signed a one-year deal then compo wouldnt be that much surely as I cant imagine Yates would be on that big a wage?
there were "rumours" that the contract had a performance related clause, but not substantiated, so one would assume we would have to pay him off. But paying him off would not be as expensive and just watching the crowds dwindle.

Dunno about our PA man playing "we can work it out" by the Beatles it should be "GO NOW" by the Moody Blues
boycott97
I quite like Yates and I think he has improved as a manager and with the media etc....Im really mixed on this because yesterdays first half was truly awful and then it improved drastically after half time....On the one hand you could argue that he got the team selection wrong/formation, but how can you legislate for so many awful performances?! Unless something is not well behind the scenes, but that is just guess work and no evidence of that...The squad do seem happy.
Maybe things just run their natural course and a new challenge is needed for all?
Nesty
boycott97 wrote:I quite like Yates and I think he has improved as a manager and with the media etc....Im really mixed on this because yesterdays first half was truly awful and then it improved drastically after half time....On the one hand you could argue that he got the team selection wrong/formation, but how can you legislate for so many awful performances?! Unless something is not well behind the scenes, but that is just guess work and no evidence of that...The squad do seem happy.
Maybe things just run their natural course and a new challenge is needed for all?
I dont see any evidence of that -
CTFC03
We need to start looking imo.

Sean O'Driscall & Nigel Worthington are out of work...
Benctfc
Interesting situation really at the moment we look a midtable team with probably a midtable manager. With Yates we wont go up but also wont go down. We are 3 points of the playoffs so well in touch and in a reasonable position. A lot of teams down the years have changed manager when in our position and normally it has worked. I honestly believe that L2 is very weak this year. I believe a new manager could really inject some much needed enthusiasm to the club and could be the turning point in the season. Do we want to put up with another steady average season of poor boring football with decreasing crowds or can we take a risk a look for better. I know I will get the usual "Who is out there that's better" or "Be careful what you wish for" but for me Yates wont be here next season so why not change it now and give the new man time to shape his squad in January.
CTFC03
Great post.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Funny thing is, last I heard it wasn't Yates announcing he was boycotting and not giving money to the club, but yourself!

If Yates was replaced would you start coming again even if the football was worse?
Circa 1887
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Funny thing is, last I heard it wasn't Yates announcing he was boycotting and not giving money to the club, but yourself!

If Yates was replaced would you start coming again even if the football was worse?
So rather than address why more and more people seem to be snubbing the club....they are making the remaining fans subsidise their deficit by jacking the price up. That's football logic for you.
Oldun
Spot on Ben!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
You cannot polish a turd Circa. And no matter who is manager and which loans we get in, L2 is still a turd.
Circa 1887
Wasn't an issue when Sir Steve was in charge, plenty of bums on seats. Still, they were more exciting times.
Alf
RCS, that's no excuse for not trying to brighten it up by supplying some decent entertainment for the home fans every other week. It's not compulsory to provide the same c!#p as everyone else and surely a half decent manager should be able to get us out of this division if it's as bad as you say.
cheltsaxon
We're a mid table lower end team in reality we've punched above our weight for a few seasons and we think we have a divine right to be up their battling for play offs every year! Fact is we have no money a chairmen and board that won't spend what is Yates meant to do? Let's just accept we're at our level now and unless we get some money lets just enjoy being a football league club whilst it lasts.
C.V
cheltsaxon wrote:We're a mid table lower end team in reality we've punched above our weight for a few seasons and we think we have a divine right to be up their battling for play offs every year! Fact is we have no money a chairmen and board that won't spend what is Yates meant to do? Let's just accept we're at our level now and unless we get some money lets just enjoy being a football league club whilst it lasts.
Or find something else to spend our hard earned money on rather than chuck it down the drain
vickeryc
CTFC03 wrote:We need to start looking imo.

Sean O'Driscoll was absolutely dreadful at Bristol City. Look at the difference since Steve Cotterell took over. Sean seems a nice bloke who has done ok at one or two other clubs, but after the City debacle I wouldn't want him here.
London Exile
If Yates left tomorrow for whatever reason, I'd install Russell Milton as caretaker manager for a month and see how he fares.
Might be the type of manager to get the best out of the younger players plus understands the pub as well as anyone else.
Alf
London Exile wrote:If Yates left tomorrow for whatever reason, I'd install Russell Milton as caretaker manager for a month and see how he fares.
Might be the type of manager to get the best out of the younger players plus understands the pub as well as anyone else.
Likewise, I think Russ deserves a shout. You never know, we may unearth another SC?
little mo
CTFC03 wrote:We need to start looking imo.

Yes and there is a reason for that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Circa 1887 wrote:Wasn't an issue when Sir Steve was in charge, plenty of bums on seats. Still, they were more exciting times.
They were indeed. Promotions and all that. It was an exceptional time most fans of most teams will never experience. What we have now is what teams like Hartlepool etc have experienced for years.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:RCS, that's no excuse for not trying to brighten it up by supplying some decent entertainment for the home fans every other week. It's not compulsory to provide the same c!#p as everyone else and surely a half decent manager should be able to get us out of this division if it's as bad as you say.
We would also need half decent players. Which we cannot afford. Yes the league is awful. That doesn't mean it's easy. Unfortunately with our finances there are too many teams who can spend money to be less awful than us. That is the financial reality.

I agree with the need for decent entertainment. This is why I continually call for 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 and to play our exciting youth players to brighten things up. Even if we lost as many games 4-3 as we win I would enjoy that more than hoofing 1-0 games.

Unfortunately, the manager is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't on that front. The fans want wins so they don't want youth or to take risks and slate the manager if the risks don't work.
So we play it safe to keep it tight and when we lose they moan about that too. We can't have it both ways.

Changing the manager may or may not spark things up - no one knows, which is why I am outspoken about those who place all blame on Yates as if we would be top of the league rolling in cash if we left.
Robin
RCS we have the twelth largest wage bill in the division, I'd imagine the gap between say 5th-15th is not huge mostly likely a few grand a week in wages. An organised team with a decent forward is normally good enough to get out of this league, just look at Rochdale under Keith Hill as an example.
Alf
As I have mentioned on other posts we have had half decent players over the past few seasons who have, for whatever reason (and I don't believe they were all for personal financial gain) moved on to other clubs. Many in the same division and the same standard. It is part of the managers job IMO to convince these players that they have a future with us and that he is trying to build a side with the potential to do something special.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Circa 1887 wrote:Wasn't an issue when Sir Steve was in charge, plenty of bums on seats. Still, they were more exciting times.
Interesting debate at Chelsea today. The atmosphere was poor according to Mourinho, with the fans saying it's due to ticket prices.

When the best team in the country, owned by a Russian billionaire, who are top of the tree and unbeaten have a poor atmosphere and fans complaining about prices what hope do the rest of us have!
ghandi
Yatesy really should have walked in the summer.For whatever reasons,football or otherwise,baker decided to keep him.That decision alone was always going to lower gates this season.A sizeable number of season ticket holders & casual supporters decided that after last seasons home performances,they would,nt come back to whaddon rd with yatsey still in the sit.Although he had a promising start to the season,it now starting to fall apart.Is it the squad not fitting the system,or the system not fitting the squad.Who knows?,yatesy definetly does,nt!Lets all be honest,it needs some fresh thinking.Like a few on here,i,d give russ milton a chance.Hurry up and make a decision paul baker,the crowds are dropping like a stone,you'll be left with one man & his dog!
little mo
Only two FL clubs with a lower gate than ours yesterday, Crawley and Dag & Red. :oops: :oops: