Hanks and Hall

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

boycott97
We need Asa Hall back asap or someone in on loan. I'm worried that because Hanks had such an awful day yesterday it will totally knock his confidence for a while to come. Yates was right to substitute him and I'm not sure how Hanks can make up for his lack of pace and mobility in any case. It could be a watershed moment for him, and I hope he comes through it. He will either bounce back or yesterday will knock him for six..
solihullkev
On what I have seen Hanks is overrated by some way. He was embarrassing yesterday ; as bad a performance by a CTFC player as I have seen. He only escapes the kind of mass criticism the likes of CBB, Taylor and Richards received last year as he is home grown.

Even without Hall we have other better players.
boycott97
He can make a good pass, has fairly good technique and is fine taking set pieces. But he needs to get better mobility and some how magic some more pace because if he doesn't I don't I think he will be a one season/one contract wonder...There are lots of people with really good talent who don't ultimately make it because they aren't athletic enough- and Im concerned he falls into the category. The problem is mobility and pace are natural gifts and I don't think training makes vast improvements, just smaller benefit.
Nesty
one bad 45 minutes and he is slaughtered.
Si Robin
Agree Nesty, he was poor yesterday but that is the first time I've seen him be so bad. Prior to then I have been nothing but impressed with him.

He'll learn from yesterday and will hopefully be a better player for it.
cliffy90
Russ Penn exposed his inexperience. It was a big lesson for Hanks, hopefully he will bounce back quickly.
asl
Yates didn't think the Hanks tackle deserved a booking. :shock: I was stood right behind the manager so, barring him being 10' closer, we had exactly the same view... Might not have been a booking in 1970, Mark, but I can assure you that a knee-height swipe from the side is a worthy yellow, these days.
Circa 1887
Anyone see the Penn / Marquis incident. Bit of a tangle, Penn reacted and stamped the turf next to a Marquis - who was down, presumably to intimidate him. Marquis proceeded to feign injury and ask for a red card for Penn. Thought that was poor from the young lad...his character is dubious at times.
Last edited by Circa 1887 on 02 Nov 2014, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
horlickfanclub
cliffy90 has summed this up correctly.
Si Robin
Circa 1887 wrote:Anyone see the Penn / Marquis incident. Bit of a tangle, Penn reacted and stamped the turf next to a Marquis - who was down, presumably to intimidate him. Marquis proceeded to feign injury and ask for a red card for Penn. Thought that was poor from the young lad...his character is dubious at times.
I saw it as a stamp on Marquis, although not as bad as he made it out to be. Thought that was very naughty of Penn and if one of the officials had seen it he would have walked.
Baggio
There's a definite danger that everybody is expecting Hall to be the new messiah! After such a long time out , it'll take some time to get back up to speed, and even then what in his career so far suggests that he is going to be good enough to carry this team?
He's not kicked a ball yet, but there's a lot of expectation already.
asl
Baggio wrote:He's not kicked a ball yet, but there's a lot of expectation already.
I think it's 'hope' more than 'expectation', tbh...